2015-16 Around the League VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Those things happen all the time in junior drafts. You can go back for years and years and find tons of examples of players doing similar things. Hell, even Duchene did something similar (told all the teams he was going to Michigan State, but magically signed where his buddy did). The OHL even made some rule changes after the Duchene and Hodgson pulled their stunts. I don't have issues with kids (or their parents) doing that at a young age since there are so many factors for a kid in their mid-teens to deal with. Having some stability during those years can make a tremendous difference. Parents should be looking after their kids in those situations as long as they can walk the fine line, which is a pretty big if.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Drouin's hasn't been acting bratty in the NHL. All his moves whether you agree with them or not are based on the fact that he thinks this is the best move for his career.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I also heard Landy made it known he was only going to come over from Sweden for Kitchener. I know all these high end guys get what they want one way or another.

That situation always seemed perfectly normal to me, more so than most of these instances we hear about, which may or may not be a big deal themselves. It seems as though if you're gonna let your kid go overseas at 17 to live and play hockey, you're probably gonna want to make sure he's going somewhere you feel comfortable, and where you trust the coaching staff and organization will look out for him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
#NHL top 10: Win pct. when opponent scores first

Wsh .571
LA .469
Dal .438
StL .406
NYI .387
Ana .370
Col .345
NYR .344
Phi .324
Ari .324

It's been painfully obvious this is a completely different and much better team when they score first. Teams just clamp down on them with the lead and wait for the Avs to make mistakes, which they eventually do.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Don't really like these quotes from Drouin. Play out the season the in the AHL and then demand a trade to the Avs in the offseason. None of this trying to salvage the relationship stuff.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
#NHL top 10: Win pct. when opponent scores first

Wsh .571
LA .469
Dal .438
StL .406
NYI .387
Ana .370
Col .345
NYR .344
Phi .324
Ari .324

Nice to see that kind of resiliency; but it makes sense that we'd be that high, given how high scoring avs games can often be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think that stat perfectly illustrates the biggest problem with scoring in the NHL. It isn't the pure amount (though I wouldn't mind seeing an extra goal or so a game), but the idea that there are only 4 teams that average better than a 40% win percentage when falling behind. It seems in the NHL it keeps getting harder and harder to come back in a game.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I think that stat perfectly illustrates the biggest problem with scoring in the NHL. It isn't the pure amount (though I wouldn't mind seeing an extra goal or so a game), but the idea that there are only 4 teams that average better than a 40% win percentage when falling behind. It seems in the NHL it keeps getting harder and harder to come back in a game.

So you are proposing the trailing teams gets an extra player on the ice for every goal they are behind? Interesting...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

more goals; more (chances for) lead changes.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
The avg. number of goals scored and the ability to come back from a one-goal deficit have a causal statistical relationship.

Unless you implement some kind of comeback mechanic, you can't make comebacks more likely without increasing goals.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So you are proposing the trailing teams gets an extra player on the ice for every goal they are behind? Interesting...

Insert Do It meme.

more goals; more (chances for) lead changes.

The avg. number of goals scored and the ability to come back from a one-goal deficit have a causal statistical relationship.

Unless you implement some kind of comeback mechanic, you can't make comebacks more likely without increasing goals.

I understand this. I'm saying it isn't necessarily the difference between 5.5 and 6.0 goals scored per game that is the biggest issue. It is more that once you don't get the first goal it is damn hard to win a game... so damn hard to come back in games today. In other words, goal scoring is a symptom of the issue, not the actual issue.

One of my buddies and I were talking about this the other day and he had an interesting idea on ways to tackle this. Institute an illegal defense penalty... kind of how the NBA has the 3 second rule. Study and figure out the setups that keep things clogged up (likely eliminating some forms of the trap), and then legislate them out of the game that way. The first season it would result in more power plays, but teams would be punished for playing certain styles and the NHL would be forced to adapt.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It's a league wide issue. Every team seems to struggle unless they score first, and if you watch the games, the whole flow changes after the first goal. Defensive coaching tactics have really reared their ugly head again. The league can only stop it for so long before coaches figure out the next way to do it.

That's why this has been such a strange year standings wide. All the coaches seem to be implementing similar forms of the same approach to games. That's why everyones just given in to blindly throwing pucks at the net through traffic. It's the only way to score it seems.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well... he is way overpaid to be the #4C now. He has to move up the lineup to justify the deal.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well... he is way overpaid to be the #4C now. He has to move up the lineup to justify the deal.

not traditional 4C though.

big part of their success is having 3 good scoring lines and the kruger taking touch matchups, with toews often taking the other. they wouldn't be as good if they have kruger as 3C.

if they have enough depth to do it, they should keep kruger as 4C, arbitrary cap numbers for 4Cs aside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
not traditional 4C though.

big part of their success is having 3 good scoring lines and the kruger taking touch matchups, with toews often taking the other. they wouldn't be as good if they have kruger as 3C.

if they have enough depth to do it, they should keep kruger as 4C, arbitrary cap numbers for 4Cs aside.

I honestly don't think they have enough cap room to keep the depth that allows Kruger to stay on the 4th line. I think I read they have almost $65m tied up in 15 NHL players.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly don't think they have enough cap room to keep the depth that allows Kruger to stay on the 4th line. I think I read they have almost $65m tied up in 15 NHL players.

It's around that number, and I don't believe that includes Panarin's potential bonuses for next season, too. Luckily for them, it's all depth players that they have to find. Their UFA and RFA list is:

Andrew Shaw
Andrew Ladd
Richard Panik (RFA)
Brandon Mashinter
Dennis Rasmussen (RFA)
Tomas Fleischmann
Dale Weise
Michal Rozsival
Christian Erhoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad