2015-16 Around the League VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ticket sales are only so much, the Vegas market is a much bigger money maker than Quebec. The NHL doesn't want to add any more small markets, they'd prefer to move one struggling market to another. I know they are just sitting around hoping Seattle somehow pulls an arena out of the sky but at this point just expand to Vegas and move on. I know expanding by one isn't ideal either but they are teetering on the edge of making this whole expansion idea a farce.

Much bigger market, yes. But how do you know it's a much bigger money maker?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People still complain about the Florida teams? Really? The yotes are a failure, but that has more to do with their incredibly idiotic stadium situation than with it being a market that can't sustain hockey.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
People still complain about the Florida teams? Really? The yotes are a failure, but that has more to do with their incredibly idiotic stadium situation than with it being a market that can't sustain hockey.

Well, Tampa Bay is 19th in the league in revenue but Florida is 29th... Both teams also have operating incomes in the negatives

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
per forbes...

tampa was on red but so little that they kind of didn't lose money as franchise value increased.

panthers biggest issue is they play in sunrise and not in miami.

This. Tampa's a pretty established market now, and florida's on the upswing as well; if they had a better stadium situation they could even be thriving now that they've got a winner to pull in the locals.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
CdCbc6OUAAE8jDn.jpg

press conference apparently coming soon.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I didn't realize it until now, but it seems he has pulled some similar crap before. Doesn't mean he won't turn out as a good or even great NHL'er, but definitely makes you wonder if he is just some entitled spoiled brat.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would rather see Quebec get a team before Los Vegas. Maybe I am cling to the ways of old I hate the whole hockey in non hockey markets. Seriously we do not need two teams in Florida and one in Arizona. Those are failures accept it and move on. Some former non hockey regions have turned out great like San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, and Nashville all have devoted fans but that is the exception not the rule.

The league won't get bigger unless it manages to expand into those non-traditional hockey markets. More Canadian teams won't help them do that, especially with the Canadian dollar so weak. Las Vegas is a particularly good market for expansion because even though it's in a desert there are a lot of transplants living there from bigger hockey markets who can form a base and then build from there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Are you guys reading the thread on the main board? I didn't realize it until now, but it seems he has pulled some similar crap before. Doesn't mean he won't turn out as a good or even great NHL'er, but definitely makes you wonder if he is just some entitled spoiled brat.

He did have similar issues like that in the Q, but lots of kids (and parents) force those situations. Now it happening at the NHL level is a completely different animal and combining that with his previous history certainly doesn't look good.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I heard from a very very good source that Drouin didn't go to Halifax year one because Mackinnon was there. I know once he got there that they became great friends and still are today but that year that Drouin didn't play was because Mackinnon soaked in the star player and was going to take ice time from him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Syracuse Hockey ‏@syrhockey 12m12 minutes ago
Drouin said he's back because he missed hockey. He's a hockey player, that's what he does

Syracuse Hockey ‏@syrhockey 20m20 minutes ago
Thinks relationship with TB is salvagable, he'll see how things go in the summer

Syracuse Hockey ‏@syrhockey 17m17 minutes ago
Drouin says he knows he'll have to perform well to earn trust of teammates

Syracuse Hockey ‏@syrhockey 16m16 minutes ago
Drouin said the public hits that he took were hard, but can't control that

Syracuse Hockey ‏@syrhockey 17m17 minutes ago
Drouin said he was hoping to be moved at deadline but that he wasn't is out of his control.

Syracuse Hockey ‏@syrhockey 16m16 minutes ago
He said teammates kept in touch with him, but there was no group intervention urging him to return

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I heard from a very very good source that Drouin didn't go to Halifax year one because Mackinnon was there. I know once he got there that they became great friends and still are today but that year that Drouin didn't play was because Mackinnon soaked in the star player and was going to take ice time from him.

Was he asking/hoping for a trade? I've heard he stayed because of a girlfriend or because he was too small. What changed his mind because he eventually showed up? Did he really think he'd be the only good player in a team?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

There was also a certain buddy who went to a certain team who he wanted to follow then. There were some bratty issues around the whole QMJHL draft that year, and they were really nothing too far out of the norm for those drafts (MacK forced his way onto Halifax). The issue is that Drouin has extended the attitude to the NHL. It is one thing at 15-16... totally different at 20.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Was he asking/hoping for a trade? I've heard he stayed because of a girlfriend or because he was too small. What changed his mind because he eventually showed up? Did he really think he'd be the only good player in a team?

I'm not sure if he asked for a trade. He got drafted and Halifax had him all hyped up. He was the face of the team and then they trade for a an even bigger name who just so happens to be a local boy in Mackinnon. I'm not sure if he demanded to be traded but he set out icetime demands which Halifax obviously didn't bite on. I never heard anything on the girlfriend thing either but if that's true it probably made his decision easier.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I know a lot of the first rounders play the game so they end up in a situation they want. Just Drouin's was a bit weird because it seems like it had nothing to do with the team.

he wasn't going to report to the team that originally was intended to draft him (can't remember which). then they traded that pick to halifax who picked drouin.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
FTR Mackinnon didn't want to play for RN because he didn't want to live somewhere where French was the first language. He didn't request a trade to Halifax like people often say he did. He requested a trade to an English team and preferably closer to home if possible. It just so worked out to be his hometown. A lot more people do this than you think, but because of Mackinnon's star label it was much more documented. Most star players from the Q are French anyway so you never see it. It's very common with mediocre Nova Scotian's and Newfies though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacK didn't want to play for Baie-Comeau. I heard he would have been ok with Quebec but it's understandable he didn't want to go to a small market team in northern Quebec. But I was just saying it didn't seem like Drouin had a problem with Halifax itself, which is usually the concern for these high drafted kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad