WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Just an advice for foreigners driving in Sweden. There is ZERO tolerance for drinking and driving in Sweden. This means if you have a beer, you cannot legally drive within about 2 hours or so. The police is very strict about this and do pretty often carry out controls.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Does anyone have a link to somewhere we can purchase tickets, if we're just doing it independently?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Just an advice for foreigners driving in Sweden. There is ZERO tolerance for drinking and driving in Sweden. This means if you have a beer, you cannot legally drive within about 2 hours or so. The police is very strict about this and do pretty often carry out controls.

I'll quote this for emphasis. The BAC limit in Sweden is 0.02% and you can get a prison sentence if you are caught exceeding it.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm not planning on driving so that won't be a problem for me if I go.

Left field: What's Stockholm like, think of going to the WHC maybe as well.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden

Stockholm is one of the best cities in the world to visit. It's very beautiful having an old city center spread out on islands. There are lot's of things to do. Museums, theaters, The Royal castle, fantastic restaurants, visiting the archipelago just outside the city, great music scene. It's very trendy, so shopping is pretty good and there are several cool bars and clubs to visit if that's your cup of tea. There are lots of regular pubs and bars as well of course. The hockey scene is decent. The leagues are over for the season when the WHC starts though. As for all holidays, do your research before going there, otherwise you will only end up at the tourist traps.

Downside is that it's expensive. About 10-20% more expensive than Malmo.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg

It's a dump filled with arrogant people who think it's the centre of the universe.[/bias]

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
Does anyone know when they announce the site of the 2014 U18 championships?
Thanks

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
It's a dump filled with arrogant people who think it's the centre of the universe.[/bias]

Case in point..B Boarding ? :sarcasm:
In all seriousness, Stockholm is a very nice city in summertime. If Shrimper is from London, you'll probably find the restaurants and pubs underwhelming.

When compared to "best cities in the world" Stockholm falls short on many things such as shopping, pubs and restaurants. Stockholm has other strengths though.

Well as B Boarder said...visiting the archipelago on a boat tour is a must (a pretty damn good pub in itself, beautiful scenery and you can enjoy a cold one in the sun).

Whenever I've had foreign visitors coming over we've always made a stop at "Livrustkammaren". It's a pretty interesting museum that's never been a disappointment among tourists in my experience, Among other things, it displays old original garments that kings and queens used to wear. A key piece is King Gustav III masquerade costume, he was shot and killed during a masquerade in 1792. The garment is intact, blood, bullethole...the full monty.
Old town is a must visit and strolling down Djurgårn on a sunny day. IMO, Stockholm isn't a city made up of a number of specific sites but more like areas that you should explore.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
In all seriousness, Stockholm is a very nice city in summertime. If Shrimper is from London, you'll probably find the restaurants and pubs underwhelming.

When compared to "best cities in the world" Stockholm falls short on many things such as shopping, pubs and restaurants. Stockholm has other strengths though.

Well as B Boarder said...visiting the archipelago on a boat tour is a must (a pretty damn good pub in itself, beautiful scenery and you can enjoy a cold one in the sun).

Whenever I've had foreign visitors coming over we've always made a stop at "Livrustkammaren". It's a pretty interesting museum that's never been a disappointment among tourists in my experience, Among other things, it displays old original garments that kings and queens used to wear. A key piece is King Gustav III masquerade costume, he was shot and killed during a masquerade in 1792. The garment is intact, blood, bullethole...the full monty.
Old town is a must visit and strolling down Djurgårn on a sunny day. IMO, Stockholm isn't a city made up of a number of specific sites but more like areas that you should explore.

Stockholm is a capital and therefore the political power is situated here. That brings a more international atmosphere to the city and it also carries the most of Sweden's cultural heritage and institutions. Therefore it's not too strange to suggest that it's at least the center of Sweden, albeit perhaps not the world :) But it's importance on the international stage is however bigger than it's size, as it's in the frontline in several businesses like advertising, IT and medicine.

I've lived four years in Gothenburg and can compare that city to Stockholm. And Gothenburg falls flat on it's ass on almost every category. They do have a very good music scene, just as Stockholm does. They also have good sports traditions in for example handball and football as well.

I don't agree with you when it comes to the restaurants in Stockholm. Stockholm has a very high standard to the restaurants on average and actually a lot of Michelin stars restaurants considering its size. In my job I have pretty demanding clients coming over from London, NYC, LA, Hamburg etc and they are always very impressed by the restaurants (and city). The traditional pubs are of course not as good as in London, as we don't really have that pub culture. In Sweden you have more bars than traditional pubs. But it's easier to find nice quality micro-brewed beer in Stockholm than in London. And the average cocktail is better than in London, LA and NYC.
But as I said in my earlier post about this subject, it's all about making good research before going here. Otherwise you will just end up going to pricey tourist traps that won't bring you quality or an experience of the true city.

For other Swedes the Stockholm inhabitants are seen as quite cocky. As somebody that is not born in Stockholm but moved here about 16-17 years ago, I don't agree. Stockholm attracts a lot of ambitious and creative people from all over Sweden, because most of the higher education and the best job market is here. I think it's these people that non-Stockholm inhabitants see as cocky. I think it's the Jante law that confuses ambition with cockiness because ambition is in contrast with the conservative "everything should be just the same as it's always have been and you should be just like everybody else-attitude" that this Jante-law brings to people's mindset.

Well, a lot of OT here. But bottom line is that Stockholm is not perfect, but I can't see much better places to live or visit if you want a quite vibrant city that gives you a great night life, sports, a lot of culture, beautiful sights and surroundings, close to nature and you can actually take a swim pretty much in the centre of the city. Did I mention the girls...?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
map.gif

The facts displayed, Sweden doesn't go as north as Finland does.

Cut it off boys, there is no north in Sweden. North starts, where Sweden ends! In Finland, we have the real North :sarcasm:

It would be great if the WJC's was held in Ivalo, I've played an away game there once. It would definitely be a special atmosphere.

I don't know if it is a rumor or not, but teammates of mine told me that a fan in Ivalo shot a player on the once on the home team during a game with a elk rifle (the player had screwed around with the fans wife or something)... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Malmö got a new arena and they've been very active, and good, at getting events into it.

But this definitely got a recipy for disaster written over it.

Sweden and live events don't seem to go hand in hand to start with. 25% of the population can watch a WJC-game played in Sweden while there are 4,000 people in the arena.

Hockey has some interest in the South of Sweden (especially in Småland, Jönköping/Växjö and the 2nd tier teams), but its mainly big north of Stockholm. From most hockey hot-beds, its a long journey to Malmö. Distances are long in Sweden. I don't expect many fans at all to travel to Malmö to watch WJC's games.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
The main arena, Malmö Arena, is the best hockey arena in Sweden and one of the best in Europe. The best way to get to the arena is by train and the train pretty much stops by the entrance to the arena. Train to the arena takes 7-8 mins from Malmö Central, 13 mins from Copenhagen Airport and 27 mins from Copenhagen Central. There is a giant mall next to the arena, where you can shop and eat, before and after games. Expect a lot of people, since the after-Christmas sales will be taking place. The outside area around the arena and the mall can be quite windy and chilly in the winter.

The second arena, Malmö Isstadion, is currently being renovated as mentioned earlier in the thread. It's located closer to central Malmö. By train, it's 3 minutes away from Malmö Central and then about a 2 km walk. You can of course also take the bus within Malmö staight to the arena. For the train rides from Copenhagen, add 3 minutes to the previous mentioned times. Möllan, which Askel talked about, is pretty close to this train stop. So you can e.g. grab a beer and something to eat here and then walk to the arena. Lilla Torg, which Askel also mentioned, is close to Malmö Central, so that's another nice option before/after games.

Some other things to do while in Malmö could be visiting Malmö Museum, which is located in a castle, checking out the weird twisting building Turning Torso or simply just walking around looking at all old buildings around the squares Lilla Torg and Stortorget. Or if you're a soccer fan, maybe check out Ibrahimovic's plate on the Walk of Fame outside the soccer arena, which is next door to Malmö Isstadion. :)

Copenhagen being close nearby means even more stuff to check out.

Don't expect snow, since we only get like 2 weeks of snow per winter. But it's usually freezing cold in the winter anyway thanks to wind chill.

Welcome to Malmö!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Huh ?, that was my 1st post in this thread.

If I am gonna go to the World Cup in Rio....(not saying Malmö is as dangerous as Rio)...would it be completly irrelevant to discuss safety issues for abroad fan travels on a football forum ?. Because..."this is a football forum"

Who is the one whining here ?. I made one post about something that can be supported by facts. If you think it's uncomfortable or whining then that's A-ok with me.

I am not gonna be commenting on the issue further. Not because of your comment or that I felt my tiny bit of info was out of place but I've had my say and any fan travelling from abroad can find the info of Malmö and how to stay safe on their own. I just don't want people coming over here with blinders on.

After reading this thread I would stay far far away from Malmö, if I were a tourist. 50% of the Swedish posters telling me how dangerous it is to walk around in Malmö. Great!

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Stockholm is also a very dangerous city:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article16046774.ab

But if you're lucky you might survive a weekend there. Good luck!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm probably going to have decide between Malmo in late December or Stockholm in May. Leaning towards Malmo as it's likely few NHL players will be playing in May.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I'm probably going to have decide between Malmo in late December or Stockholm in May. Leaning towards Malmo as it's likely few NHL players will be playing in May.

Trip is mainly for the hockey? If it's not I'd take Stockholm. If weather is good it's a fantastic city, and the chances of that in may is pretty good. Malmö (and the rest of sweden) is just depressing during the winter, if it doesn't snow it's raining, and it's cold. :help:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Trip is mainly for the hockey? If it's not I'd take Stockholm. If weather is good it's a fantastic city, and the chances of that in may is pretty good. Malmö (and the rest of sweden) is just depressing during the winter, if it doesn't snow it's raining, and it's cold. :help:

Yeah, mostly hockey. Might catch a game in Copenhagen as well if there league is running.

I'm from Britain so used to the cold. :laugh:

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Does anyone know when they announce the site of the 2014 U18 championships?
Thanks

It has already been anounced. The U18 WJC 2014 will be held in Finland.

IIHF ICE HOCKEY U18 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
2013 RUSSIA, Sochi 18.-28.04.2013
2014 FINLAND, Lappeenranta & Imatra
2015 SWITZERLAND, TBA
2016 USA, TBA
2017 SLOVAKIA, TBA

And while Im at it, here's all future host of U20 WJC as well.

IIHF ICE HOCKEY U20 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
2013 RUSSIA, Ufa 26.12.2012 – 05.01.2013
2014 SWEDEN, Malmö 26.12.2013 – 05.01.2014
2015 CANADA, TBA
2016 FINLAND, TBA
2017 CANADA, TBA
2018 USA, TBA
2019 CANADA, TBA
2020 CZECH REPUBLIC, TBA
2021 CANADA, TBA

Source: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/2012-2013_IIHF_Calendar_of_Events_08.01.2013.pdf

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland

Isnt it 0.2?

NicoSB

Sep 18, 2012

2015 SWITZERLAND, TBA
2016 USA, TBA
2017 SLOVAKIA, TBA

2015 CANADA, TBA
2016 FINLAND, TBA
2017 CANADA, TBA
2018 USA, TBA
2019 CANADA, TBA
2020 CZECH REPUBLIC, TBA
2021 CANADA, TBA

Source: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/2012-2013_IIHF_Calendar_of_Events_08.01.2013.pdf

Very nice to know, thanks :nod:

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009

2015 SWITZERLAND, TBA
2016 USA, TBA
2017 SLOVAKIA, TBA

2015 CANADA, TBA
2016 FINLAND, TBA
2017 CANADA, TBA
2018 USA, TBA
2019 CANADA, TBA
2020 CZECH REPUBLIC, TBA
2021 CANADA, TBA

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad