WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyPowers9

Jan 2, 2013
Göteborg
My guess is there will be less Canadians going now than previously planned.

First: The beginning of this thread is embarassing..
IF the choice between traveling across the Atlantic is due to what some downy hillbillies from northern Sweden says maybe you are not ready for these kind of trips.
Little boys sitting on the boy's room and been listened to a little too much eminem and mom's cookies have made them blinded and not realized that we live in one of the world's safest welfare states.
Why the **** even mention Rosengård in a hockeyforum? First trashtalk the city and then complain about empty seats? That´s some good logic :handclap:
I doub´t people from america, slovakia, czesch not have seen worse.
Anyway, We hockeylovers who are planning going to Malmö wants ofc so many fans thats possible, CPH and Malmö are two great cities. Relaxed and good kebab ;)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It will be good prices, you will be able to watch two games for 100 SEK, (12euro) :)

Seriously?!

If that's true then that's fantastic although I'd guess that'd be the "lesser" sides. I'd be looking to see Group A games probably. I'm thinking for around 3/4 games it'd be around £100?

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Dont really know why some of my countrymen are trying to scare people from visiting Sweden...bet they're just angry that they didnt get to host the tourny themselves. Sweden and Norway is the safest countries in the world :help:

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Dont really know why some of my countrymen are trying to scare people from visiting Sweden...bet they're just angry that they didnt get to host the tourny themselves. Sweden and Norway is the safest countries in the world :help:

Yeah, places like Buffalo are a lot shadier, yet it didn't stop the masses of Canadians. You won't find trouble in Malmö, unless you're specifically looking for it.

Lainlight

Hands down AINEC
Jun 17, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, places like Buffalo are a lot shadier, yet it didn't stop the masses of Canadians. You won't find trouble in Malmö, unless you're specifically looking for it.

I would say that any place in NA is shadier than Malmö, or rather, if you dont travel to Sweden cuz "its not safe", thn you shouldnt travel anywhere

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Just curious but whats the time difference from eastern to whichever timezone Malmo is in? The early games killed this past tournament for me :(

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Just curious but whats the time difference from eastern to whichever timezone Malmo is in? The early games killed this past tournament for me :(

Malmo is +6 for the East. So a 1:00PM game would be 6:00am and a 20:00pm game would be 2:00pm time.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
First: The beginning of this thread is embarassing..
IF the choice between traveling across the Atlantic is due to what some downy hillbillies from northern Sweden says maybe you are not ready for these kind of trips.

Actually I meant that there will be less Canadians going due to the results of this past tournament.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009

I think a few of your countrymen are trying to do non-Swedes a favour by informing them.
Here's a non-swede that could've used some "xenophobic" information

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/hideki-kaji-beaten-robbed-in-sweden/

Hideki Kaji who on various japanese variety shows has preached the gospel on how fantastic Sweden is gets a welcoming...Malmö style

And a bit more informative article in swedish

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article11744036.ab

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
WHAT IS UP WITH THOSE PRICES?! I can go to 2 games cheaper than I can go to 1 game of Malmös team having a CRAP seat? Well this is fantastic, my plans of going to 1 maximum 2 games, well, let's put it this way, I'll go to as many as I can. :laugh:

Seriously, I expected prices in the 40 dollar range for 1 game.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I think a few of your countrymen are trying to do non-Swedes a favour by informing them.
Here's a non-swede that could've used some "xenophobic" information

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/hideki-kaji-beaten-robbed-in-sweden/

Hideki Kaji who on various japanese variety shows has preached the gospel on how fantastic Sweden is gets a welcoming...Malmö style

And a bit more informative article in swedish

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article11744036.ab

yeah, cuz its not like this happens in bigger numbers everywhere else?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
The whole "Malmö is a dump"/crime discussion in this thread: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

As for travel advice, like others have pointed out already, if you're flying to the tournament you're better off booking a flight to Copenhagen Airport than Malmö Airport. It will be easier to find flights, it is closer to the arena and it will probably end up being a cheaper flight. The Copenhagen Airport is on Amager and is right in front of the Öresund bridge, the Malmö Arena is on the 1st motorway exit right off the bridge on the Swedish side.

As for whether you should stay in Copenhagen or in Malmö, I'd say that depends on how many games you intend to see, if this is strictly a hockey vacation where you intend to see as many games as possible you are probably better off staying at a hotel in Malmö. If you only want to see maybe 2 or 3 games staying in Copenhagen is the better option.

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how long it would take to get from a Hotel in Copenhagen to both Malmo arenas via whatever options are available for tourists (train? bus?). Is there a significant border/customs delay? I am just weighing options for which hotels to look into.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how long it would take to get from a Hotel in Copenhagen to both Malmo arenas via whatever options are available for tourists (train? bus?).

This depends on where in Copenhagen you are staying. I'd guess that driving from Indre By to Malmö Arena takes about 20-40 minutes, based on my trip in December.

Google Maps is good for that sort of thing, once you've got some idea of where you will be staying.

Is there a significant border/customs delay?

No. They do random stops of cars at the bridge, but other than that there is nothing. The borders are as close to open as you can get.

I was stopped by customs on my way back from Copenhagen before Christmas, unless you give them any reason to think that you're smuggling something you'll be done in 3 minutes.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how long it would take to get from a Hotel in Copenhagen to both Malmo arenas via whatever options are available for tourists (train? bus?). Is there a significant border/customs delay? I am just weighing options for which hotels to look into.

Depending where the hotel is of course (Copenhagen is a big city, at least in Scandinavian terms :laugh: ), it takes around 10-40mins by train, which is what I would recommend traveling by.

Edit: Meh beaten to it.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

I'm guessing you'd go through Customs at the airport and then go your separate way.

According to Google Maps from Copenhagen airport to the venues it's 26mins (Malmo Isstadion) and 22mins (Malmo Arena)

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
yeah, cuz its not like this happens in bigger numbers everywhere else?

An Asian getting beat unconscious and robbed while shooting a music video ?.
No I don't think it happens everywhere else in the western world. My speculation is that you've gotten used to it, little by little and it became sort of normal.

With this one single case, I am not saying "Malmö is dangerous.....end thread"
Now if we were to go into a discussion showing statistics, I don't think it would paint a very pretty picture of Malmö.

I am not saying that Malmö is dangerous in a global perspective. It might be heaven when compared to the worst of the worst ghettos that the US has to offer but it sure doesn't fall into the "Sweden and Norway is the safest counties in the world" category.

I think plenty of Swedish posters in this thread have been painting a much too flattering picture of Malmö while at the same time, in a very simplistic way labeled any opposing view as xenophobic.

That's my 2 cents anyway

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
I googled it, but I thought I could get some insight here as well.

What's the best way to get over the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo? Just drive and pay the fee for every game? It looks like it's 45 Euros for each trip. Even if you pay for a ten trip pass, it's 32 Euros a trip which will add up very quickly if people are looking to stay in Copenhagen.

I may be way off, and I can accept that. There's a bus too, but their site is offline until tomorrow.

Any expert opinions from Sweden/Denmark (or anyone else I guess)?

We're driving from Norway (about 5.5 hrs) and thanks(?) to the feedback on the thread we decided to stay in Copenhagen. We're a family of 5 so driving over the bridge makes sense on a per head basis. Five sets of tickets on the train would get pretty steep. I'm just waiting for the tics to go on sale. We considered flying as well, but it'll be cheaper to drive.

Any hotel/apt suggestions in Copenhagen?

OT - As for Stockholm, my wife and I were there (Globe) for the 2011-12 season opener and thought the stadium was great. Awesome attendance as well.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Oyabun: Just stop it. This is a hockey forum. You can whine about this somewhere else.

Huh ?, that was my 1st post in this thread.

If I am gonna go to the World Cup in Rio....(not saying Malmö is as dangerous as Rio)...would it be completly irrelevant to discuss safety issues for abroad fan travels on a football forum ?. Because..."this is a football forum"

Who is the one whining here ?. I made one post about something that can be supported by facts. If you think it's uncomfortable or whining then that's A-ok with me.

I am not gonna be commenting on the issue further. Not because of your comment or that I felt my tiny bit of info was out of place but I've had my say and any fan travelling from abroad can find the info of Malmö and how to stay safe on their own. I just don't want people coming over here with blinders on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad