Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

I hope most of the D is cut after tonight, i want Staal and Boyle to have enough reps together to be ready for October.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, I mean, obviously I don't blame him, it's not like he did it on purpose to hurt Richter. Just, Richter was my hero, my all time favorite. I remember watching that and feeling sick, so anytime I hear Tamer's name it brings up anger haha.

Leetch was mine but Richter and Graves were close.

We've had some terrible coaches since I followed this team--Larry Popien, Jean-Guy Talbot, John Muckler (who actually had been a pretty good coach for a long time but with us--forget it), Bryan Trottier but Ron Low was as bad as any of them. He was a former goaltender. Why he played Richter that night or left him in when he obviously wasn't acting right we'll never know. Partly I think the general cluelessness that some of these people had back then about concussions. If I remember it wasn't even a really meaningful game. After that pre game thing the first slap shot from about 70' out without even a screen should have turned Low's light bulb on. Unfortunately it didn't. Anyway I can't think of Ron Low without thinking goofball.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So first round of cuts come after the game tonight/tomorrow and AV said he wanted to get down to 30ish after the Flyer games so with 43 guys left in camp, I think we're looking at 6 or 7 cuts to come in the next day or so. My guess for 6 just based on who is left

Ryan Potulny
Nick Tarnasky
Mat Bodie
Tommy Hughes
Petr Zamorsky
Jason Missiaen

Guess Duclair could get sent back to juniors but I could see him getting another game too.

Already sent 20 guys packing after the debbies game.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Already sent 20 guys packing after the debbies game.

Those were all the Group C guys that really had no chance of making the team. These cuts could contain someone that had an actual (albeit slim) chance to make the team, like Kristo or R. Bourque or someone.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So first round of cuts come after the game tonight/tomorrow and AV said he wanted to get down to 30ish after the Flyer games so with 43 guys left in camp, I think we're looking at 6 or 7 cuts to come in the next day or so. My guess for 6 just based on who is left

Ryan Potulny
Nick Tarnasky
Mat Bodie
Tommy Hughes
Petr Zamorsky
Jason Missiaen

Guess Duclair could get sent back to juniors but I could see him getting another game too.

yea those cuts are inevitable. Sooner the better IMO. I want to see some real lines get together especially with Stepan out for a bit

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Stepan's hurt after zero. What's your point? Unless you're Dolan, Malone and his two-way deal isn't costing you anything.

I think some people are hoping that Malone fails, either because they don't like him or they think the spot he's going to take should be given to someone else. I'll never understand rooting against guys your team has under contract.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Ryan Potulny
Nick Tarnasky
Mat Bodie
Tommy Hughes
Petr Zamorsky
Jason Missiaen

Good guesses.

Knowing that Zamorsky will be heading back to Finland as soon as he's done here, I could see them keeping him around a little bit longer.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I think some people are hoping that Malone fails, either because they don't like him or they think the spot he's going to take should be given to someone else. I'll never understand rooting against guys your team has under contract.

I'm not hoping Malone fails--I just want him to earn his spot because of his play and not his past. I also want a player on the roster who will get better as the season progresses and perhaps even become a long-term solution that helps the organization win. I realize Malone is not part of the future, but I'm willing to have him around for the present--again, if he can actually win a job on the merits.

But, in the end, he's just another fading veteran player who is trying to hang on one more year--I really don't have any strong feelings for him either way.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
But, in the end, he's just another fading veteran player who is trying to hang on one more year--I really don't have any strong feelings for him either way.

So were Larmer and MacTavish in 1994, and they were crucial to our Cup win. I am not saying Malone is anywhere as good, but he can be at least as important as Doug Lidster was in 1994, maybe even as important as Fedotenko was a few years ago.

You do need vets to win in the playoffs. I know kids are more sexy, but there's a reason coaches prefer to rely on vets over rookies in the playoffs.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So were Larmer and MacTavish in 1994, and they were crucial to our Cup win. I am not saying Malone is anywhere as good, but he can be at least as important as Doug Lidster was in 1994, maybe even as important as Fedotenko was a few years ago.

You do need vets to win in the playoffs. I know kids are more sexy, but there's a reason coaches prefer to rely on vets over rookies in the playoffs.

Eh... I think the reason coaches prefer to rely on vets over rookies in the playoffs is the same reason coaches get recycled so much more frequently than rookie coaches are given a chance and why ex-CEOs get hired from the outside rather than junior executives promoted from within, etc.

C.Y.A.

It's the easy choice. When **** goes wrong, management can say "well, I went with the guy who's done it before - it's not my fault..."

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Larmer and MacTavish were acquired in trades-Lidster too--not signed as a free agent after being bought out from a contract. And none of them were coming off several seasons of injuries and lousy play. In fact, to even mention Larmer--who had played 880+ consecutive games before coming to the Rangers--in the same sentence as Malone (who hasn't even played as many games is really taking it very far out there to try and prove your point.

As far as how Malone will do during the playoffs? I think we should wait and see how things shake out in pre-season and then during the season first. Even if Malone makes the team, there's no guarantee--given the last several years--he will make it to the playoffs, much less make an impact then.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Eh... I think the reason coaches prefer to rely on vets over rookies in the playoffs is the same reason coaches get recycled so much more frequently than rookie coaches are given a chance and why ex-CEOs get hired from the outside rather than junior executives promoted from within, etc.

C.Y.A.

It's the easy choice. When **** goes wrong, management can say "well, I went with the guy who's done it before - it's not my fault..."

Should have looked down first! :handclap:

It's scary how much we're agreeing--we're merging:D

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Larmer and MacTavish were acquired in trades-Lidster too--not signed as a free agent after being bought out from a contract. And none of them were coming off several seasons of injuries and lousy play. In fact, to even mention Larmer--who had played 880+ consecutive games before coming to the Rangers--in the same sentence as Malone (who hasn't even played as many games is really taking it very far out there to try and prove your point.

Greg Gilbert was a 4th liner in 1994. Lidster was a #7 defenseman most of the year behind Karpovtsev, but Keenan relied more and more on him as the playoffs wore on. Many other vets on many teams, far more often than rookies. Experience matters. This is not as easy as reading a scouting report that says, "he has a good shot and skates well", this is about making sure that the player is physically and emotionally ready, and that comes from having experience.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Greg Gilbert was a 4th liner in 1994. Lidster was a #7 defenseman most of the year behind Karpovtsev, but Keenan relied more and more on him as the playoffs wore on. Many other vets on many teams, far more often than rookies. Experience matters. This is not as easy as reading a scouting report that says, "he has a good shot and skates well", this is about making sure that the player is physically and emotionally ready, and that comes from having experience.

Wow, you have to dig pretty deep if you're still trying to stuff 1994 down my throat--sorry, hockey has changed completely, on the ice and in the way teams are constructed.

And let's face it, this organization has signed plenty of veteran free agents who haven't worked out. It's pre-season, I'm not going to argue over whether a player who hasn't even made the team yet is going to be the difference in the Stanley Cup playoffs. .

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So Kampfer is your 7D?

Yeah, it's only been one game for sure :laugh:

Actually liked Mcilrath last better than anyone else challenging for that 7 spot.
I don't see Haggerty making the team either.
I liked DuClair's game, but he's a real long shot.
I thought our best "non regular" forward last night was Lindberg by a mile.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I'm not hoping Malone fails--I just want him to earn his spot because of his play and not his past. I also want a player on the roster who will get better as the season progresses and perhaps even become a long-term solution that helps the organization win. I realize Malone is not part of the future, but I'm willing to have him around for the present--again, if he can actually win a job on the merits.

I get it but it he did play a nice game, so worse come to worse he goes down to HFD hopefully is a positive influence (pick up some dinner tabs) and maybe gets called at various points in the season. When the mid-season dings come, I think he could be useful, seems like he'll go through a brick wall for the org.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
What I'd like to see, assuming all players continue the play they've shown in the first two preseason games:

Zuccarello - Brassard - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Kristo
Duclair - Miller - St. Louis
Hrivik - Moore - Stempniak

I loved Zucc - Brass - Pou last season. I think replacing Pou with Nash makes that line elite.

I liked what I saw from Kristo a lot. I think he's going to be a very effective player for a team looking to carry across the blue line, and make slick passes.

Duke - Miller - St. Louis should keep St. Louis fresh all season, allow him a lot of PP, and give him a line mate that cane generate offense and hopefully score, and a slick two way center with tons of energy. I also like his age wight he two kids. Reminds me of Detroit in the early 00's

Hrivik seemed to puck pursue a lot on the forecheck, and Stempniack anticipated REALLY well all night. I'd like to see them together on a line with a heady center like Moore. They're not the bruising 4th line, they'd be one that keeps the play out of their end, and limits opponent possession time.

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
(any 7th not including Allen or McI)

No surprises there. Moore looked really good so far, so I just don't see anyone challenging him for a spot.

TL;DR - I'd like a team that has 4 lines that can control play and play at both ends, with a little finish. This line-up can't bang with Boston, but I think Montreal showed a nice blueprint last playoffs. Board play may be essential for possession, but a fast team with heady opportunistic players can completely take away the middle of the ice and create all sorts of problems in transition. Looking at the way the NYI, and NJD are building, and the product JD left in St. Louis and will probably look to replicate in Columbus, this seems to be the style of the East right now.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The whole Remparts fanbase right now is like:

nail-biting-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad