Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You might save some of this anger for the Rangers head coach at the time Ron Low. Richter had been walloped/dazed by one of his own teammates in the pre game warmup--but Low decided to play him anyway. Then he watched Mike get dinged not just once but twice with long range slapshots--before finally pulling his very obviously concussed goaltender. Whether he was already concussed before the game even began--we'll never know but I suspect he was. I really wouldn't blame Tamer for what happened to Mike Richter.

Yeah, I mean, obviously I don't blame him, it's not like he did it on purpose to hurt Richter. Just, Richter was my hero, my all time favorite. I remember watching that and feeling sick, so anytime I hear Tamer's name it brings up anger haha.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Random thought. If nash wants to stick to the right wing why don't we put him on the third line with Malone so he has someone to protect him so he'll possibly attack the net more. Idk just a thought at 1:30

PricePkPatch*

Hi Ranger fans. Hope you are having a fun preseason so far. Apparently, yesterday evening was a fantastic night for many, many NY sports fans (Yankees & Giants)

I was wondering how Kristo has fared in this preseason so far? Can someone be kind enough to redirect me to the right page, maybe?

Have a nice day!!

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Hi Ranger fans. Hope you are having a fun preseason so far. Apparently, yesterday evening was a fantastic night for many, many NY sports fans (Yankees & Giants)

I was wondering how Kristo has fared in this preseason so far? Can someone be kind enough to redirect me to the right page, maybe?

Have a nice day!!

This far - which really isn't far at all - he looks like the Kristo we know. Offensive upside and a good deal of skill, but nothing else. I don't see an NHL player, judging by what I've seen so far.

He'll need to grow stronger and develop his defensive game - a lot - to become an nhl'er imo.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Have a nice day!!

I watched him pretty extensively in Hartford last year, and wasn't too impressed. He has good offensive instincts but just isn't involved enough on a consistent basis to make me think he'll ever amount to more than a third line player that can chip in 35 points in a good year. I mean he has good puck skills, but I don't ever see him do anything away from the puck that leads me to believe he can be a real offensive catalyst. And his defensive game leaves a lot to be desired.

The other issue with him is that he needs to play in 80 NHL games this year or else he becomes UFA after the season. Vigneault mentioned him as a guy that impressed in the very early going and came in in good shape, but I think the consensus here is that he's not at the top of the prospect depth chart (behind guys like Ryan Haggerty, Jesper Fast, Kevin Hayes, etc.) and probably isn't even the first call-up. If I had to guess he's moved before the year is out. Not because he's a bad prospect, but he might just be the odd man out due to his contract situation.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
After watching the NYR/NJD game a few thoughts (I know it's one game)

Hayes is close. I can see him being on this team this year.
Lombardi, too, especially with Stepan going down.
Malone, to me, is probably a lock to make the team (deserved or not). The guy DOES have a sense for getting in front of the net and has for his entire career. Rangers could've used that in the Final last year.
Kostka isn't making this team.
Hunwick isn't making this team
Kristo isn't making this team
Mueller was intriguing...
Glass. Don't like the contract but I'll trust AV
D. Boyle still has wheels and our best PPQB since... I don't know who.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Malone, to me, is probably a lock to make the team (deserved or not). The guy DOES have a sense for getting in front of the net and has for his entire career. Rangers could've used that in the Final last year.

Righthanded? Could be Zubov... (Knocking wood.)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Random thought. If nash wants to stick to the right wing why don't we put him on the third line with Malone so he has someone to protect him so he'll possibly attack the net more. Idk just a thought at 1:30

I don't think the contact Nash was worried about last year is anything a linemate can protect him from.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

So Kampfer is your 7D?

Yeah, it's only been one game for sure :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Ronnie Shuker at THN projects us to finish 5th in the Metro behind the Penguins, CBJ, Isles, and Devils (in no particular order). Yeah, ok guy, whatever you say.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Brooksie says Duclair does not slide even if he returns to Juniors...

http://nypost.com/2014/09/25/duclair-19-gets-shot-on-nash-line/

An interesting note on Duclair’s contract: Ordinarily, the contract would slide for a second straight season if Duclair returns to juniors, thus leaving him with the full three-year Entry Level deal to fulfill. But because Duclair did not sign his first contract until Jan. 6, 2014, thus missing the Dec. 31, 2013 cutoff date, the Rangers got only one “slide year†out of it.

Thus, even if Duclair returns to Quebec, the winger will have just two years remaining on his contract and would become eligible for restricted free agency in 2017. He will not, however, have salary-arbitration rights, which he would have held at the expiration of the three-year deal if it included two slide years. A management source told The Post that Duclair’s camp preferred it this way.

Or, does the year count, but he doesn't count against the 50?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Brooksie says Duclair does not slide even if he returns to Juniors...

http://nypost.com/2014/09/25/duclair-19-gets-shot-on-nash-line/

Or, does the year count, but he doesn't count against the 50?

This was just covered in the Prospects Thread. I'll just quote Rev, who summed it up:

Duclair's contract status has been clarified a couple times.

No, it will not "slide," but neither will it count against the 50 contract limit if Duclair plays 9 games or less in the NHL this season.

So, if Duclair is returned to his junior team, a year of his ELC will be burned anyway, but won't count against the contract limit.

The only situation that could get hairy is if the Rangers decide to keep him on the team this season for more than 9 games. Then, they would have to make a move to shed a contract. That's not going to happen, IMO. Even if he does very well, he gets 9 games max and is sent back to the QMJHL. He still has parts of his game to work on, and even if he could technically make the team this season, his long-term development is more important to the organization.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Got it. That makes sense and is what I thought...

Very weird situation.

So Duclair's camp wanted to burn a year of the ELC at the expense of arbitration rights. Interesting. I don't know if that's common or not, but it's the first time I've seen that rationale publicly stated.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
That rag takes a dump on us every season. They had us dead last in the NHL the year we went to the ECF, if I recall correctly. This is nothing new.

To be fair, we could place anywhere this year from first to eighth. The division is really wide open for the taking.

However, I think if anyone finishes above us, it'll be Pittsburgh and Columbus.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Ronnie Shuker at THN projects us to finish 5th in the Metro behind the Penguins, CBJ, Isles, and Devils (in no particular order). Yeah, ok guy, whatever you say.

Every writer at THN is a clown so that doesn't surprise me.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYP_Brooksie: Ryan Malone not skating. "Day to day" with hip flexor per #NYRâ€

SupersonicMonkey*

Really anxious to see Duclair, McIlrath, Allen, Haggerty, Lindberg, and Miller tonight.

Being in Chicago should be a good test for them.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
So first round of cuts come after the game tonight/tomorrow and AV said he wanted to get down to 30ish after the Flyer games so with 43 guys left in camp, I think we're looking at 6 or 7 cuts to come in the next day or so. My guess for 6 just based on who is left

Ryan Potulny
Nick Tarnasky
Mat Bodie
Tommy Hughes
Petr Zamorsky
Jason Missiaen

Guess Duclair could get sent back to juniors but I could see him getting another game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad