Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The whole Remparts fanbase right now is like:

nail-biting-o.gif

Personally I still believe he ends up going back. But he certainly played well enough to make it a legitimate debate.

Wolfy*

I just don't understand why so many of you think Glass will be the odd man out. He may sit a few games, but I'm sure he'll be a regular on the 4th line. Reasons why:

1. His salary and contract.
2. AV has coached him before, they know each other well.
3. Glass had other options, but he picked the Rangers. Not to sit in the press box.
4. He played well against the Devils a few days ago.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just don't understand why so many of you think Glass will be the odd man out. He may sit a few games, but I'm sure he'll be a regular on the 4th line. Reasons why:

3. Glass had other options, but he picked the Rangers. Not to sit in the press box.

I don't disagree that he will be in the lineup, but he doesn't make enough money for #1 to be any factor at all in this decision.

AHB*

I think some people are hoping that Malone fails, either because they don't like him or they think the spot he's going to take should be given to someone else. I'll never understand rooting against guys your team has under contract.

I'm in general agreement with this, although there are a few exceptions (Bertuzzi, etc). That said, Malone and his personal troubles are not reason to root against him. By all accounts the guy is hard working and very good in the locker room. He has been a fan favorite in many of the places he has played. Overall seems like a good guy. If anything, us signing him has shown me how small-minded much of our fanbase is and either A) how they haven't really experienced a lot of the world or B) that they are completely clueless as to what many of their colleagues, friends, family, etc have tried in their lives.

I think everyone can agree we love what we saw from Duclair last night offensively. And while he wasn't stellar defensively, that one play where he hustled back and stole the puck was a great sight. Kid seems extremely talented and very hard working. I hope he stays in the mix for a wing spot down to the wire if he continues to play like this, at least while Steps is out.

Obviously Lines are not exact as I'm still unsure, especially with Steps being out now

Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Stempniak-Miller-MSL
Hags-XXX-Nash
Glass-D. Moore - XXX

McD - Girard
Staal - Boyle
J. Moore - Klein
XXX

The 7th D is basically irrelevant and will likely be Kostka or Hunwick. Who cares.

The other two spots are interesting. The Rangers can also have some flexibility as Stempniak plays both sides. So move him to right on the 4th or keep him on the 3rd on left.

My assumption is two of the young kids will get the two open spots to start and and then a vet on the bench (Lombardi, Malone, etc).

As of right now I'd love for them to get Hayes, Duclair or Kristo a few games. After that Lindberg and R. Bourque. Although I thought C. Bourque looked good on the PP last night, but wasn't really effective otherwise.

Should be great and it really is fantastic to have all the competition coming from mostly young kids. I really hope Duclair keeps it up. He and Nash looked special last night and it would be amazing if he could force his way onto this squad.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So far, I think this may be what we see:

Nash-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Kreider-Hayes-Kristo
Hrivik-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

Nash was at RW last night. If AV was serious about him playing, I'm guessing he'd be there. I'd like to see Hayes win a spot, but, I can't say it's a given. Kristo and Hrivik were both solid, but, I don't see either as definites.

Right now, I's say Miller is the only certainty to be on the team opening night. And, I could easily see Glass/Moore/Stempniak being the 4th line on opening night.

There are two open spots from what can see - center and one of the forwards. Anyone of Lombardi, Hayes or Lindberg could be the center to fill in for Stepan, and Malone, Fast, Hayes, Lombardi or Hrivik could be the additional forward.

And, while I think it's unlikely, Duclair could warrant a 9 game look.

Still too much up in the air after just two games.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

If we have better options, then those guys should play ahead of Glass. It's that simple.

These aren't my chosen lines, but just to get an idea of what spots are open:

Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Kreider-Miller-St. Louis
Hagelin-Moore-???
???-Lindberg-Stempniak

Those two slots can be filled by any of Fast, Hrivik, Malone, Lombardi, and possibly Duclair or Hayes. We don't have a shortage of players pushing for those slots.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
If we have better options, then those guys should play ahead of Glass. It's that simple.

These aren't my chosen lines, but just to get an idea of what spots are open:

Zuccarello-Brassard-Nash
Kreider-Miller-St. Louis
Hagelin-Moore-???
???-Lindberg-Stempniak

Those two slots can be filled by any of Fast, Hrivik, Malone, Lombardi, and possibly Duclair or Hayes. We don't have a shortage of players pushing for those slots.

I endorse this. Glass will prob have 4LW, Lombo or Malone as 13th, Duclair will go back. 3RW is where the battle is. It's easy to say Hayes, Fast or Haggarty but Hrivik is really making me notice. Worse comes to worse, he and Stemp can switch lines. When Step comes back, Lindberg goes down most likely.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I see Glass as a 4th line player...I don't think there's really a question about it. He looked capable against the Devils.

I'd stick Moore between someone and Nash. Nash can create his own plays and so Moore would only be complementary and not in a spot where he'd need to be a guy who needs to make plays happen. Kreider has complementary speed.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I hope Hrivik and Lindberg get a chance to stick. I like a lot about their games. Two smart players.

I literally came here to post that I really hope next summer, the Rangers leave spots for Lindberg and Hrivik on the 4th line. They played well (often together) in Hartford, lack of flashy stats notwithstanding, and even now they can play on the 4th line in the NHL without skipping a beat. Another year of seasoning, which I have to assume will include a few NHL stints, and they will be more than ready.

Potentially I could see something like this a year from now:

Kreider - Stepan - MLS
Nash - Brass - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Hrivik - Lindberg - Moore
* Glass or Lombardi as a spare
* Some of Hayes, Bourque, Duclair and Buchnevich as call ups

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
I literally came here to post that I really hope next summer, the Rangers leave spots for Lindberg and Hrivik on the 4th line. They played well (often together) in Hartford, lack of flashy stats notwithstanding, and even now they can play on the 4th line in the NHL without skipping a beat. Another year of seasoning, which I have to assume will include a few NHL stints, and they will be more than ready.

Potentially I could see something like this a year from now:

Kreider - Stepan - MLS
Nash - Brass - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Hrivik - Lindberg - Moore
* Glass or Lombardi as a spare
* Some of Hayes, Bourque, Duclair and Buchnevich as call ups

I dunno man, any or all three of Duc, Buch and Hayes could be ready for NHL duty as soon as sometime this season. I don't see Duc or Buch earning a roster spot this year, but next year I'd have to think all 3 of them would be in a prime position to make the team. It's a bit premature, but depending on how this year plays out, it's certainly not far-fetched to see that scenario.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I dunno man, any or all three of Duc, Buch and Hayes could be ready for NHL duty as soon as sometime this season. I don't see Duc or Buch earning a roster spot this year, but next year I'd have to think all 3 of them would be in a prime position to make the team. It's a bit premature, but depending on how this year plays out, it's certainly not far-fetched to see that scenario.

I think Hayes needs AHL time. He looked good, but not NHL-ready in my opinion. Miller is 1st--no question about that in my mind--and in terms of centers, I think Lindberg has the more polished 2-way game for a bottom 6 spot.

SupersonicMonkey*

Duclair can't be a call up. It's either the NHL or QMJHL. Once he gets sent back, he can't get a recall until the Remparts' season ends. Which would be late because they have a guaranteed spot in the Memorial Cup playoffs because they are the host.

Duclair would benefit a lot more being around the NHL club, working with their trainers, in NHL practice, and playing with Rick Nash, more than going back to Quebec.

9 games, reevaluate, then see where he should be.

Lombardi will be on the roster. The guy can play in a variety of roles. PK, ES, take faceoffs, and contribute at both ends of the rink.

Stempniak is going to be on the roster.

There's no where for Fast to play on the NHL roster. RW is full.

Hrivik is making a case, but will probably be a call up later in the season.

The worst thing for Malone was to get injured and not be able to skate. Other players look ready and more effective shift-to-shift.

C: Brassard, Miller, Moore, Lombardi, Lindberg
W: Nash, St. Louis, Kreider, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Duclair, Stempniak, Glass
D: McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Moore, Klein, Hunwick
G: Lundqvist, Talbot

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The question with Duclair is can he hold up for an entire NHL season. He looks a little taller than the 5'11 he's listed at to me but he is on the skinny side. It might be that you take a longer look at him for the 9-10 regular season games and then make a more informed judgement. I think the Rangers are going to wind up sending him back to Quebec though in the end.

Hayes is more likely to be a winger if he makes the Rangers this year and a center if he's in the AHL. The Rangers could use a guy with his kind of size in the middle though. Long term I think center is the much better avenue for him.

The way I look at this team right now:

Forwards--Nash, St. Louis, Stepan (inj), Zuccarello, Kreider, Brassard, Hagelin, D. Moore, Stempniak, Miller, Glass--3 openings for Malone, Duclair, Lombardi, Lindberg, Hayes, Kristo, Mueller, Hrivik.

Defense--McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Klein, J. Moore--1 opening for Allen, McIlrath, Hunwick, Kampfer, Kostka.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No matter what happens, i'm 99% sure Duclair will be sent back to Juniors. We really dont have room for him and I think another year in Juniors will only help him (even if its just to bulk up a bit more). Let him go into the WJCs and dominate that and get some big game experience.

Next year he will be wearing the red white and blue. Unfortunate that his junior season won't end early cause if he could get a dozen games in with the pack that would have been nice.

Oh, and he definitely doesn't look 5'11 out there, looks taller.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So far, I think this may be what we see:

Nash-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Kreider-Hayes-Kristo
Hrivik-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

I would be surprised if Hrivik or Kristo made it.

I like Hrivik, and he is doing a good job all over. But he isn't quite there from my point of view, not that smart nor a dynamo type. But his break through ability and first step is really impressive.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
When the Rangers carried the puck across the opposing blueline, only one team was as good at generating shots on net, and that was the 111-point San Jose Sharks. For every time someone carried the puck into the O-zone, New York averaged 0.76 shots on goal.

They finished in the top 10 at doing the same off pucks they dumped in (three shots for every 10), which left them at third in the NHL in generating shots off all zone entries. Their .51 shot-per-entry average was narrowly behind just San Jose and Los Angeles. That’s some elite company.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/585501

Really interesting article.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
No matter what happens, i'm 99% sure Duclair will be sent back to Juniors. We really dont have room for him and I think another year in Juniors will only help him (even if its just to bulk up a bit more). Let him go into the WJCs and dominate that and get some big game experience.

Next year he will be wearing the red white and blue. Unfortunate that his junior season won't end early cause if he could get a dozen games in with the pack that would have been nice.

Oh, and he definitely doesn't look 5'11 out there, looks taller.

1. How do we not have room for a goal scoring LW ?
2. How are you 99% sure?

Kreider Stepan MSL
Duclair miller Nash
Hagelin brass Zucc
Malone Moore Stempniak
Glass/Lombardi

With Stepan out you'll see Lombardi or Lindberg start the season at center but there is definitely a place here for duclair, the only thing that worries me is can he hold up over 82 games and that's probably a no but the problem with duke is he's too good to be in the CHL but not old enough to be in the AHL. Duclair learning from Nash And the other skilled wingers would be HUGE for him now. The kid is the real deal, we found a steal and he'll be a top 6 LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad