Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Potential 7th Dman cap hits for this season:

Kampfer, Steven » $550,000
Hunwick, Matt » $600,000
Hughes, Tommy » $608,333
Kostka, Mike » $650,000
McIlrath, Dylan » $703,333
Allen, Conor » $925,000

If Stepan is out and replaced on the roster by a rookie, we have plenty of space if we wanted Allen on the team (right?). Do we have space for Allen when Stepan returns, if, say, we carried the standard projected lineups that we see here?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
IMO
1) Hunwick
2) Kampfer
3) Kostka
4) Hughes
5) Allen
6) McIlrath

Only reason Allen and McI are so low is because I want them to develop. Let them be call-ups. No reason they shouldn't be playing top minutes in Hartford. It would be a waste to have them as 7D IMO.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Hunwick is def the guy

Allen needs to play he's not sitting in the press box he'll be in hartford

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Don't get this Allen talk for 7th D. Wouldn't you guys prefer him to log major minutes in Hartford opposed to sitting most games? I'm high on him myself, and if a d-man gets injured I'd like him to come in, but I don't think I'd want him waiting in the press box until that happens.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Love all the conclusions being drawn after one preseason game. Really fantastic stuff, here :nod:

It's a forum. What else do you expect?

All we have is one game to draw our conclusions. Depending on how the rest of preseason goes, things can change. For example, if Kostka looks great the rest of preseason, I obviously won't hold a bad first preseason game against him. I don't think his skating is going to magically get better, but you never know. He might be nursing a tender groin, I have no idea.

All I know is I'd rather be talking hockey than not. My opinions are certainly subject to change. I would assume everyone else is in the same boat.

AHB*

Don't get this Allen talk for 7th D. Wouldn't you guys prefer him to log major minutes in Hartford opposed to sitting most games? I'm high on him myself, and if a d-man gets injured I'd like him to come in, but I don't think I'd want him waiting in the press box until that happens.

Depending how camp goes, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him start the season in Moore's position.

That said, at some point it's inevitable some of our guys will miss games due to injury. If he plays well, it might not be a bad idea to either

A) Ship Moore out at the deadline
or
B) Let him walk at the end of the year.

All of course depending on whether or not Moore looks to improve this year. I just don't think he's a very heady player. Supremely talented but doesn't have the noggin to develop into much more than a 3rd pairing guy.

Hoping I"m wrong.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

At 24, I'm not sure Allen is any better off in Hartford than in the pressbox. I know he's only a second year pro, but there isn't a lot of development left to him. He might be better served by practicing with the big club instead. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with that, but I see the logic.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Depending how camp goes, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him start the season in Moore's position.

That said, at some point it's inevitable some of our guys will miss games due to injury. If he plays well, it might not be a bad idea to either

A) Ship Moore out at the deadline
or
B) Let him walk at the end of the year.

All of course depending on whether or not Moore looks to improve this year. I just don't think he's a very heady player. Supremely talented but doesn't have the noggin to develop into much more than a 3rd pairing guy.

Hoping I"m wrong.

Moore will be an RFA. He isn't walking. If we don't want him past this year, we can trade him in the offseason, though we'd probably want to do it before he can file for arbitration, at the draft maybe. But let's see first if Allen can actually do the job as well or better.

If we re-sign Staal long term, Moore's days may be numbered anyway if Skjei can replace him in a couple years. Or maybe Moore finally realizes his potential and makes Staal expendable. It's going to be an interesting year for sure.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
JoMo is underrated. Tough start last year, but got better as the season went on. Still a lot of potential. I like Allen, but JoMo is actually the younger of the two.

Also, regardless of who is sitting in the press box, I expect that Allen will be our 7th defenseman in the number of games played.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
JoMo is underrated. Tough start last year, but got better as the season went on. Still a lot of potential. I like Allen, but JoMo is actually the younger of the two.

Also, regardless of who is sitting in the press box, I expect that Allen will be our 7th defenseman in the number of games played.

Itll be interesting to see if the rangers have $1 million in Allen in the pressbox night in and out with such a solid top 6.

I really hope Kostka had diarohea, ebola, two fractured fibulas and fever in his first game, because his play made Chris Tamer look like an All-Star... He was that bad.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Last edited:

AHB*

Moore will be an RFA. He isn't walking. If we don't want him past this year, we can trade him in the offseason, though we'd probably want to do it before he can file for arbitration, at the draft maybe. But let's see first if Allen can actually do the job as well or better.

If we re-sign Staal long term, Moore's days may be numbered anyway if Skjei can replace him in a couple years. Or maybe Moore finally realizes his potential and makes Staal expendable. It's going to be an interesting year for sure.

I agree with all of this. For some reason I thought due to his deal this year that Moore was a UFA next year, I was wrong.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Duclair-Brassard-Nash
C. Bourque-Miller-Zuccarello
Tarnasky-D. Moore-Haggerty
Hrivik-Lindberg-Stempniak

McDonagh-McIlrath
J. Moore-Girardi
Allen-Klein

Lundqvist
Desjardins

Lundqvist, J. Moore, and Miller back at it.

Duclair with Nash.

McDonagh - McIlrath :amazed:

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6653/miller-and-lundqvist-back-in-there-as-rangers-set-friday-s-lineup?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweets&utm_content=twitter_1411666567#.VCRTTz6G2IA

Probably the opening night lineup, IMO.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Now that's an interesting lineup. The only real pylon is Tarnasky.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Needs more Stanislav Neckar !!! :p:

No, really looking forward to seeing the kids play in this game, good ineup, I like where they're going with this. Only change would be Tarnasky and Hrivik, I like Duclair on line one and Lindberg with Stemp. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but Stemp was a pretty good college Center in his day, good for faceoff duty when needed.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I assume that this is sarcastic, despite the lack of the appropriate emoticon.

Otherwise, Kreider, Hags, Staal, Boyle, Talbot and a whole host of other folks are going to be mightily confused...
I assume he thought this would be so over the top that not a single person could have been confused about it being sarcasm...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't get all the John Moore negativity here. The Rangers are getting great bang for the buck out of him. Considering he'll average in the neighborhood of 12-15 minutes a night he's a bargain. He needs to improve some but he's pretty decent right now for a bottom pairing d-man. Good size, skates really well--moves the puck decently and he's still young. His contract makes the bigger contracts more affordable.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Duclair-Brassard-Nash
C. Bourque-Miller-Zuccarello
Tarnasky-D. Moore-Haggerty
Hrivik-Lindberg-Stempniak

McDonagh-McIlrath
J. Moore-Girardi
Allen-Klein

Lundqvist
Desjardins

Lundqvist, J. Moore, and Miller back at it.

Duclair with Nash.

McDonagh - McIlrath :amazed:

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/6653/miller-and-lundqvist-back-in-there-as-rangers-set-friday-s-lineup?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweets&utm_content=twitter_1411666567#.VCRTTz6G2IA

Really looking forward to seeing this group. More than the last, even though it had Hayes and Kreids in it. Add those two to this lineup and it'd be awesome.

McIlrath, Allen, Duclair, Haggerty, Lindberg. Stemp too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad