Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Potulny is the only player from Team C who survived the first set of cuts. Noreau and Skapski were cut despite being on Team A. Nobody got cut from team B, which is expected since it hasn't played its game yet. Presumably a few more cuts are on the way.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Me too. Especially with back to backs with Philthy coming up. Could use the added size against that goon squad they've dressed so far. More importantly, I wanted to see his improved game.

Hartford is playing 4 preseason games in the first 5 days of October, so that will be a good chance to get a good look at our minor league prospects without NHLers or junior players. It will let us take a look at guys who may be sent down to the ECHL later or to see normally low-minute guys play significant minutes. Really want to see Noreau too, though I'll be pulling for St. Croix to make it also.

I will post play-by-play notes here.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Hartford is playing 4 preseason games in the first 5 days of October, so that will be a good chance to get a good look at our minor league prospects without NHLers or junior players. It will let us take a look at guys who may be sent down to the ECHL later or to see normally low-minute guys play significant minutes. Really want to see Noreau too, though I'll be pulling for St. Croix to make it also.

Cool thanks. I saw that Nejechelubsomethng got sent down, so he's not going back to Jr. But unsigned. Where do you think he fits, HFD contract?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Cool thanks. I saw that Nejechelubsomethng got sent down, so he's not going back to Jr. But unsigned. Where do you think he fits, HFD contract?

He will likely be an overager, though personally I would prefer that he goes to the ECHL. He is physically strong enough for the pros and the ECHL is tougher competition than the juniors. Plus, he'll probably get called up a few times.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
He will likely be an overager, though personally I would prefer that he goes to the ECHL. He is physically strong enough for the pros and the ECHL is tougher competition than the juniors. Plus, he'll probably get called up a few times.
Agreed. Would like to see Nej and Donnay stick in Greenville rather than juniors.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

I'll be pulling for St. Croix as well. It'll be tougher for him than Noreau to stick in HFD though. A lot of new vet signees to beat out, one injury on D and Noreau's in.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

This doesn't mean he wont go to Junior.
Biggest impediment there is that his old team already has overage and import players.
But Slats knows all those WHL GMs.

Duclair will go back, so might Nejez and Donnay and maybe even Skapski.
Yeah, right now, Skapski seems odds on to stay, but things can change over 10 days.

Personally i wish they'd have dumped/never-signed a couple contracts and signed Dallas Valentine and maybe Nejez. IF he signs a AHL deal, nothing requires him to stay with the NYR organization.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Does anyone think AV should just cut a lot of guys we know won't make the team now, and start trying to figure out the lines now in preparation for opening night? This of course is due to Stepan's injury. This way AV has 5 games to see who clicks with who and has something to go by, rather than figuring it out the first few regular season games and juggling lines then? Just my thoughts. You know keep only the guys who have a legitimate chance and cut the rest to prepare earlier for the season.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I think for the most part he did that today with basically removing Team C.

The people he kept around all have a legit chance to make the Rangers. I expect several more cuts to come after the game on Friday and the last few preseason games with be more reguakr a while shuffling in a few rookies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
And why would taking a look at Desjardins automatically preclude him from taking a look at Skapski?

Why? Because of the lack of game time, perhaps? Why dress a player who will never play in the NHL this season, who has already played in TC (and I assume the rookie game), over a goalie AV has not yet seen in a game and who (god forbid)may actually spend some time on the NHL roster?

Update: it's a moot point now:

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has reassigned 20 players from its training camp roster.

Twelve of those players will report to Hartford’s training camp: Troy Donnay, Michael Kantor, Nickolas Latta, Paxton Leroux, Chris McCarthy, Richard Nejezchleb, Logan Nelson, Josh Nicholls, Sam Noreau, Mackenzie Skapski, Michael St. Croix, and Andrew Yogan

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2014/...yers-to-hartford-juniors-release-two-tryouts/

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
The Rangers have 43 players remaining in training camp.

Forwards (25): Chris Bourque, Ryan Bourque, Derick Brassard, Anthony Duclair, Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, Carl Hagelin, Ryan Haggerty, Kevin Hayes, Marek Hrivik, Chris Kreider, Danny Kristo, Oscar Lindberg, Matthew Lombardi, Ryan Malone, J.T. Miller, Dominic Moore, Chris Mueller, Rick Nash, Ryan Potulny, Martin St. Louis, Lee Stempniak, Derek Stepan, Nick Tarnasky, Mats Zuccarello

Defensemen (14): Conor Allen, Mat Bodie, Dan Boyle, Dan Girardi, Tommy Hughes, Matt Hunwick, Steven Kampfer, Kevin Klein, Michael Kostka, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, John Moore, Marc Staal, Petr Zamorsky

Goaltenders (4): Cedrick Desjardins, Henrik Lundqvist, Jason Missiaen, Cam Talbot

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Still lots of herd thinning to be done.

I am surprised Bodie and Zamorsky are still on the list considering AV yanked them from game A. Maybe it was because of how bad some of the other defensemen were. :D

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I am surprised Bodie and Zamorsky are still on the list considering AV yanked them from game A. Maybe it was because of how bad some of the other defensemen were. :D

I think both are just better than the rest. I think Yogan is falling short, McCrathy was a bit of an unkown to me but don't seem to have sticked out that much, besides them Bodie and Zamorsky are just waaay ahead of the rest all over the board. Its the same with Potulny.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I wasn't. I think the Rangers top 6 is pretty set and Kostka, Hunwick and Kampfer are the likeliest candidates to be the 7th guy. AV threw them all out in the first game and IMO none of them impressed much. One or even both of them might get a shot in the next game but we might see some of Kostka, Hunwick and Kampfer again. If Conor Allen can really impress I think he could vault ahead of them all. He's 24 already and I wouldn't be as concerned about his ice time and carrying him as our 7th d.

The 4 D I expect for sure in the lineup against Chicago--McDonagh, Girardi, Allen, McIlrath.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I wasn't. I think the Rangers top 6 is pretty set and Kostka, Hunwick and Kampfer are the likeliest candidates to be the 7th guy. AV threw them all out in the first game and IMO none of them impressed much. One or even both of them might get a shot in the next game but we might see some of Kostka, Hunwick and Kampfer again. If Conor Allen can really impress I think he could vault ahead of them all. He's 24 already and I wouldn't be as concerned about his ice time and carrying him as our 7th d.

The 4 D I expect for sure in the lineup against Chicago--McDonagh, Girardi, Allen, McIlrath.

Allens higher cap hit might become a factor regarding The 7D spot. Think it therefore goes to one of the other 3 you mentioned. Time will tell

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Allen just turned pro last season. I personally think he has legit 2nd pair upside. I would rather they let him develop with the Pack than be the 7th D, who more than likely will never play a game anyway. I think Allen is the first callup for LDs and McIlrath the first callup for RDs. Only situation in which one of Kostka/Kampfer/Hunwick plays is if someone can't go and it's too close to gametime to call someone up.

FWIW, I thought Hunwick would be the best fit for 7th D, just based on one game. Kostka was terrible, and Kampfer was meh. Allen is better than all three, but has the potential to develop even more.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Still really dislike the idea of Nash on LW and of loading up the Brassard line. Brassard and Zucc are good enough to carry a LW, and Nash good enough to carry a line if it's well constructed.

Guess I will wait To see how it looks.

agree 100%

what i would like to see, in no particular order, with Step out is:

Kreider - Miller - MSL
Stempniak/Malone - Brassard - Zuccs
Hagelin - Hayes - Nash
Lombardi - Moore - Stempniak/Malone

Hayes is flanked by one of our best defensive forwards in Hagelin and another very good defensive player in Nash. Nash we know can play in the opposing teams end and Hagelin is polished enough to not be a detriment there.

This spread maintains offensive/defensive depth and utilizes our strength at the RW position.

Would prefer to pencil Stepan into that line up, but it is what it is.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
We have 3 or 4 options internally that would all be a better fit than Ryan Carter. Some combination of Brassard, Miller, Moore, Hayes, Lindberg, and Lombardi will more than likely be our C depth come opening night. I really don't see Carter being necessary.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Potential 7th Dman cap hits for this season:

Kampfer, Steven » $550,000
Hunwick, Matt » $600,000
Hughes, Tommy » $608,333
Kostka, Mike » $650,000
McIlrath, Dylan » $703,333
Allen, Conor » $925,000

Status
Not open for further replies.