Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The word "contusion" doesn't sound all that great to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team is hiding a broken foot.

It's preseason, teams don't have much incentive to lie. If a foot is broken, nobody will rush him to play in October. This isn't playoff time.

That said, it exposes our weakness at center. If Stepan is ever out for any time, our centers are beyond horrible. True, any team would miss their 1C, but we really don't have much behind Stepan.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

What do I know, but I just want to point out that contusion is medical mambo jambo for -- bruise. I.e. he could have a broken leg for all I know, but all they said was the got a bruise and is sitting out a practise... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am going to try to collect my thoughts and come back on a few comments on the scrimmage later. I am a bit busy now.

One thing on the run though, Bodie and Zamorsky played a lot with Hagelin-Miller-Bourque -- and that showed in how well that lined transitioned. Those two Ds moved the puck really well.

However, Bodie is real small, and Zamorsky had one "idiotic" shift where he ended up putting a soft saucer right across his own zone to nobody. I don't know about Beuke, but Gerander is going to hate that. Zamorsky sat a game in Traverse unless I am misstaken, and he is yanked by AV for the 1st pre-season game. A player coming right from the Czech men's team from the WCH's should fly a little higher than that.

I really like these type of prospects, and like I said I think both Bodie and Zamorsky have made a lot of high caliber plays, hopefully they can raise they play generally in the days to come and get into some pre-season action.

Where are thou Jesper Fast? Fast had a few decent shift. Decent isn't going to cut it with the competition we have this season. He played on the 4th line with Mueller and Glass on half the team, ie a 7-8 line, which don't have too say all that much but still. Fast is a very good skater who is a very verstaile player. He can be really strong on the puck, his fundamental game is about working harder than everyone else, forecheck real hard, play real good defense, win back pucks real well (which AV has focused on the most during practise in camp), and in addition to that he can do a lot of other things on the ice real well, goes to the net, got a good shot and one-timer (although it could imrpove), he is a good passer in odd man situations, etc etc etc.

But from what I've seen he just tends to become too passive in NA so far in his career. He has been extremely poised in a sense, but where is the energy, speed and hustle that should be noticed on a shift by shift basis with a young kid like him? Get going Fast!

Oscar Lindberg is not a flashy player and never has been. But he is a really good player fundamentally that tends to get better the higher level he plays on, in that sense (and not otherwise) he can somewhat be compared to a Jonathan Toews for example (a Jonathan Toews of the SHL if you get what I mean, definitely not in a direct comparision). These scrimmages are real sloppy compared to a normal game, but Lindberg was real focused and was really sharp when he had the puck and made a handful of real good passes down low. Its a good "start" for him. Lets see if he can build on it.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

In addition to what other people said, the Rangers also said that x-ray results were "negative" which generally means they didn't find any fractures

Sometimes you have to do a more detailed scan to find them, though, but that really only becomes an issue if weeks later he's still having trouble

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

He was skating and practicing after he had been checked out by the medical staff. He wouldn't be doing that on a broken foot. Stepan will be fine. He's our 1C for the foreseeable future. They don't need to see him in a scrimmage to know what he brings to the table. I'm sure that was the coaching staff's exact train of thought.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Forwards: Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, JT Miller, Carl Hagelin, Chris Kreider, Danny Kristo, Matthew Lombardi, Ryan Malone, Chris Mueller, Marty St. Louis and Derek Stepan/Andrew Yogan*.

Defense: Dan Boyle, Marc Staal, Steven Kampfer, Michael Kostka, Ryan Mantha, Samuel Noreau, Petr Zamorsky, Matt Hunwick

Goalies: Henrik Lundqvist, Mackenzie Skapski/Jason Missiaen

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2...rs-playing-tomorrow-night-against-the-devils/

Rangers can only dress 20 guys and they're playing 6 d--not 8. Neither Noreau nor Mantha played in yesterday's scrimmage.

Also AV post scrimmage said that Hunwick would be in and both Bodie and Zamorsky would be out. If Stepan can't go--I'm not sure who will be in for him. Yogan played on the blue team yesterday and Hayes switched from the Blue team to the White team to replace Stepan. I don't think Yogan is going to be playing. I'd expect him to be cut really early.

So if I were to guess it would be:

G-Lundqvist, Missiaen
D-Staal, Boyle, Hunwick, J. Moore, Kostka, Kampfer
F-Hayes/Stepan, Kristo, Kreider, Lombardi, St. Louis, Malone, Mueller, Fast, Glass, Miller, R. Bouque, Hagelin.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
091914rangers48bk.jpg

http://nypost.com/2014/09/21/fitter-nash-looking-much-quicker/

Brooks article talking about how last years concussion affected Nash. He's in much better shape, I expect big things from him this season.

SLIM.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The "best shape of his life" type of thing is overused in training camps for every sport, but if Nash can be a little lighter on his feet this year and stay healthy, yeah I'd expect him to crack 30 goals and maybe even push for 40

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The "best shape of his life" type of thing is overused in training camps for every sport, but if Nash can be a little lighter on his feet this year and stay healthy, yeah I'd expect him to crack 30 goals and maybe even push for 40

Ha, I was just going to say the same thing. Everyone always reports in the best shape of their life, and everyone is always poised for a breakout year after intense training in the offseason/serious film study/some sort of other mental breakthrough. Unless there's some sort of quantifiable data to suggest a guy is coming in better than last year, I assume it's fluff.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
that's the funny thing about the Rangers, they do testing and all but never release the numbers, while you hear other teams talking about how so and so did x amount of pullups or benched y amount and how awesome that is etc etc

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I will say Nash looks a LOT leaner. That looks like 2003-2004 Nash, body-wise.

To me the biggest issue that will affect his production will be a willingness to go into high traffic areas. That was obviously lacking last year and really affected his production. As I and many speculated it WAS due to the concussions, he admitted as such in the Post article he was "uncomfortable" in physical situations.

Going to the net has been a huge part of Nash's past production. It was clear as day last year that he was ripping lots of crappy perimeter shots yet many were reprimanded for calling this out. "His avg shot distance hasn't changed much", "his Corsi was fine" - yet here we have Nash admitting he didn't get to the inside enough last year. I honestly like Corsi but I don't understand the dogmatic approach to all shots being created equal. Quality matters a significant amount.

Hopefully Nash is willing to drive the net and being leaner helps his endurance later in games and in the season.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
that's the funny thing about the Rangers, they do testing and all but never release the numbers, while you hear other teams talking about how so and so did x amount of pullups or benched y amount and how awesome that is etc etc

One thing we do know, Martin St. Louis finished in the top 3 best physically fit in camp. Dude is 40 years old.

Beast. :yo:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Right, MSL is a rarity. I hope he can push 30 goals and 70 points again for the Rangers this year, that would be huge

SupersonicMonkey*

Nash does look leaner. And the way he was skating yesterday...

Good signs.

Nash played very well in the playoffs, just couldn't finish. Nash could have been the difference maker for us in the Final, if he could have just scored a couple of goals.

So far it looks and sounds as if he has a chip on his shoulder or something to prove.

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014
Seems to me that people are really giving it to JT. I have felt like he's shown a ton of patience with the puck... Probably too much. Which is odd given his age/state of development. Usually the game is rushed at that point... It feels too fast for these guys and once it slows down, they can thrive.

He already has that... To a fault. That's not something I've seen much of in a kid his age.

Not sure if it's better or worse or if the development curve is quicker or higher for that process but I'm inclined to see where it takes him. Doesn't seem to be a lot of panic in him.

I said this on another tread on Traverse, that the kid shows great poise with the puck. This is a rare skill, one that the Rangers generally have. If they do everyone usually kills the player after one giveaway or misplay

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I will say Nash looks a LOT leaner. That looks like 2003-2004 Nash, body-wise.

To me the biggest issue that will affect his production will be a willingness to go into high traffic areas. That was obviously lacking last year and really affected his production. As I and many speculated it WAS due to the concussions, he admitted as such in the Post article he was "uncomfortable" in physical situations.

Going to the net has been a huge part of Nash's past production. It was clear as day last year that he was ripping lots of crappy perimeter shots yet many were reprimanded for calling this out. "His avg shot distance hasn't changed much", "his Corsi was fine" - yet here we have Nash admitting he didn't get to the inside enough last year. I honestly like Corsi but I don't understand the dogmatic approach to all shots being created equal. Quality matters a significant amount.

Hopefully Nash is willing to drive the net and being leaner helps his endurance later in games and in the season.

Yup, and multiple times last season he admitted he's more effective when getting inside and didn't do so enough. Hopefully he actually puts his words into action this season.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Yup, and multiple times last season he admitted he's more effective when getting inside and didn't do so enough. Hopefully he actually puts his words into action this season.

I was frustrated as hell with Nash last year, but I've spent a lot of time talking to a friend this summer who has experienced multiple concussions to the point where it's seriously messed with her day-to-day functioning and motor skills. Migraine headaches, slurred speech, and seizures are a regular thing for her. Awful.

I can't really fault the guy for being wary of initiating contact after a concussion when results like that are a possibility. No question that health comes before hockey. Hopefully he's feeling good and ready to go.

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys....when are first cuts and how many guys are they gonna cut down? For some reason I cant remember, I wanna say after game tonight or tomorow.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Hey guys....when are first cuts and how many guys are they gonna cut down? For some reason I cant remember, I wanna say after game tonight or tomorow.

AV says he wants to get down to 30 after the first two preseason games

e: sorry, actually after the back to back with the Flyers next week

Wouldn't expect any cuts after tonight though, probably after Friday at the earliest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad