Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
They were smiling and laughing the entire time.

we have a tightly knit locker room. these guys are all good friends... that's another reason Sather has strayed from the mega trade this offseason...

When Callahan lost Dubinsky, it took a toll on his as a player...

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
we have a tightly knit locker room. these guys are all good friends... that's another reason Sather has strayed from the mega trade this offseason...

When Callahan lost Dubinsky, it took a toll on his as a player...

Or it could have been because he played 50+ games with a ****ed up shoulder

But nah, it's because Dubi got traded!

AHB*

How much more of a push can he get? He has been nothing but coddled so far by the Rangers organization and the players. They come out with a blurb or an article at least once per week selling him to the fans... Then he comes out in this scrimmage, going head-to-head against his competition for a roster spot, and basically just stood there on the ice dragging Lombardi and St. Louis down for half the game until Lombardi and St. Louis found another gear to make up for it. He is awful. And the experiment needs to end.

Miller is 100% ready.

Hayes, Duclair, Lindberg, Haggerty, Fast, Kristo, and even Hrivik are pushing for that spot.

Lombardi was flying. He was good defensively and contributed offensively. Exactly what to expect from him. He can play in any situation, take faceoffs, and play well at both ends of the rink.

Haggerty was "quiet" but still scored and assisted.

Lindberg looks like he is going to push hard for a spot.

Tanner Glass can even contribute in some capacity.

Mueller was flying.

The youth is promising. Poor system my culo. Rangers have some really good young players.

Duclair looks really good.

McIlrath looked calm and positionally really good.

Allen was solid. Turned the puck over but recoverd on the same play.

John Moore was amped up and physical.

Bourque has a motor that doesn't stop.

Some combos that looked good:

Miller-Hagelin
Kreider-Hayes
Nash-Duclair

Good signs all around.

I don't necessarily disagree and frankly I'd probably prefer kids over both Malone and Glass on opening night, but with that said, it's only Day 3 of camp and remember many guys who looked like crap last year completely changed their tune once the season started (Kreider, JT, etc.).

SupersonicMonkey*

Love hearing this... Wish I had watched the scrimmage. hope there are some highlights

Also, is Stepan OK? Got some notification on my phone about a bruise on his foot.

Contusion on his ankle from a blocked shot in practice (yesterday's practice i think). Day-to-day.

Wolfy*

Love hearing this... Wish I had watched the scrimmage. hope there are some highlights

The entire game 3x30 mins periods will be available soon on blueshirtsunited.com, then you can study players a little closer :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is what Ola reported :

I got these lines so far, could be some misstakes in there..

Blue:

Hrivik 46-Lindberg 48-Stempniak 12
Nash 61-Brass 16-Duclair 63
Bourque 71-Yogan 49-Zuke 36
Haggerty 39-Moore 28-Tarnasky 43

White
Kreider 20-Hayes 59-Kristo 29
Malone 24-Lombardi 45-MSL 26
Hagelin 61-Miller 10-R Bourque 25
Glass 15-Mueller 86-91 Fast

I think they were correct.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its just one scrimmage. Lets take it easy with whos making the team and who is not. Again just one day. I know there is a lot of hate on here for Malone but it was one day.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Each team played 7 d-men--so there was a lot of switching of pairs. However Staal played with Boyle a lot and McDonagh played with McIlrath a lot.

McD and Mac? Damn, that sounds sick if mac could eventually take that spot... oooofff man imagine.

Mac should be as good if not better than Girardi in a hockey sense, and is definitely a better skater

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems like the team is going all in with the speed kills philosophy. I'm perfectly fine with that. I know a lot of people want big bodied players and to have the tam play like the Kings, but that's just not this roster. I want them to dictate the style of their games. Make those heavy teams try to keep up. You can will yourself to play bigger sometimes, but you generally can't will yourself to play faster.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
McD and Mac? Damn, that sounds sick if mac could eventually take that spot... oooofff man imagine.

Mac should be as good if not better than Girardi in a hockey sense, and is definitely a better skater

What do you mean by hockey sense?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What do you mean by hockey sense?

hockey IQ... Girardi is a rock, but his Hockey IQ is average. Faster skaters with quicker/higher IQ's are generally a better hockey player overall...

John moore would be the example of crappy IQ.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
hockey IQ... Girardi is a rock, but his Hockey IQ is average. Faster skaters with quicker/higher IQ's are generally a better hockey player overall...

John moore would be the example of crappy IQ.

I think it's difficult to evaluate something as intangible as hockey IQ across different leagues (AHL/NHL). McIlrath's IQ might seem better in contrast because he's playing against competition who have a collective hockey IQ far less than the average NHLer. We'll see if he's able to maintain that advantage over Girardi in the NHL.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
AV also mentioned Talbot and Kreider not starting with the team last yr but they were important.

I expect Hayes to start in the AHL and get called up if he tears it up

Where does he play if he sticks at center? Also, do we want college kids to get called up to the Rangers midseason when we know that that's when they tend to hit the wall because the pro season has twice as many games as NCAA? I think Hayes and Haggerty finish off the year in the AHL, with Miller, Fast and possibly Lindberg cracking it at some point this year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Girardi's hockey IQ is average? :laugh: WTF did I just read? The guy who became an NHLer through hard work and smarts has an average hockey IQ. Sure sure.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
After watching this I kinda hope Duclair can force his way into the lineup. I had hoped for Hayes to grab the Brass-Zucc wing spot and push Stemp to the 4th line, but Duclair is making a case for himself here. I thought he would need another year in juniors, but he looks pretty good. I know its just a scrimmage but its encouraging

Let's everyone keep in mind that this is mostly an AHL roster. Nobody had any doubts that he could keep up with AHLers, but it remains to be seen if he can play against NHL competition. If he survives late into the preseason, La Duke should get into some games where 80-90% of the opponent's roster is made up of NHLers and the rest are near-ready prospects. That will be a better test for him.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I got ripped on for wondering what was up with Stepan's foot. Now it appears that it IS and issue. Imagine that.

He's still been practicing, the training staff held him out of the scrimmage as a precaution. I don't know if they'll hold him out for a couple preseason games as well, but it really doesn't sound all that serious.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Do we know who will be skating tomorrow against the Devils?

Forwards: Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, JT Miller, Carl Hagelin, Chris Kreider, Danny Kristo, Matthew Lombardi, Ryan Malone, Chris Mueller, Marty St. Louis and Derek Stepan/Andrew Yogan*.

Defense: Dan Boyle, Marc Staal, Steven Kampfer, Michael Kostka, Ryan Mantha, Samuel Noreau, Petr Zamorsky, Matt Hunwick

Goalies: Henrik Lundqvist, Mackenzie Skapski/Jason Missiaen

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2...rs-playing-tomorrow-night-against-the-devils/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad