OT: 2014 Ottawa concerts & festivals thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I think you got your wish. Clue today was a picture of Peter Mansbridge. So I figure that meant the National..

I think Mark is going to have a issue if The Folkfest has a better line up then his baby The Bluesfest things could get interesting.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I think Mark is going to have a issue if The Folkfest has a better line up then his baby The Bluesfest things could get interesting.

It may be better to some, but in no way will folkfest compete with the mainstream names coming to Bluesfest.

I have a feeling Lady Gaga alone will come close to outdrawing the entire Folkfest.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
I think you got your wish. Clue today was a picture of Peter Mansbridge. So I figure that meant the National..

Sure did. Most excellent news to start the week.

Scheduling acts has a lot to do with timing. Some bands aren't coming to this part of the continent in July, making it difficult to get everyone. And as Smash stated, Bluesfest is able to draw much bigger names than Folkfest, although Folkfest is able to cater more to the indie music fan.

senators2007

May 21, 2007
So far just City and Colour and Colin Meloy(would be better if it was the decemberists) at folkfest interest me. That's two more bands than bluesfest. :help:

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Transformer movies are massive blockbuster successes.

Lil John is a huge success.

The Leafs have the biggest fanbase.

Popularity means nothing with regards to how good something is.

Holy **** get off your high horse. With any form of entertainment, being "good" is entirely subjective.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Transformer movies are massive blockbuster successes.

Lil John is a huge success.

The Leafs have the biggest fanbase.

Popularity means nothing with regards to how good something is.

Lil' Jon is the greatest artist of this generation.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Holy **** get off your high horse. With any form of entertainment, being "good" is entirely subjective.

I agree, Manked. Folkfest looks great for the crowd that rave about amazing bands that no one* has ever heard of (Lorde knows I only recognize 4 names on the list). Of course there will be people who will go to both events, but Bluesfest caters to the masses, which is normally a very different crowd than will visit Folkfest. I detest the "Bluesfest has mainstream bands so it sucks" argument. Stop being such a hipster :sarcasm:

*'no one' referring to the general public who recognize bands based on radio hit lists and do not have insight into the indie world of music.

Personally I can't wait for Collective Soul and USS on the last day of Bluesfest.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree, Manked. Folkfest looks great for the crowd that rave about amazing bands that no one* has ever heard of (Lorde knows I only recognize 4 names on the list). Of course there will be people who will go to both events, but Bluesfest caters to the masses, which is normally a very different crowd than will visit Folkfest. I detest the "Bluesfest has mainstream bands so it sucks" argument. Stop being such a hipster :sarcasm:

*'no one' referring to the general public who recognize bands based on radio hit lists and do not have insight into the indie world of music.

Personally I can't wait for Collective Soul and USS on the last day of Bluesfest.

Im not a fan of the FF lineup this year. The past few years it has been pretty damn mainstream though. Bluesfest has sucked lately because they arent bringing in as many mainstream acts...well at least not as many mainstream legends.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Make sure to check out Moist and Sam Roberts on that day too!

I'm not sure about folk fest because I'm not into indie rock too much. Blue Rodeo, Blues Traveler and Ed Kowalczyk (former lead singer for Live) would be the acts I'm most interested in seeing.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Bunch of no names at folk.

Bunch of crap at blues fest.

I might go to blues fest when snoop comes but even that's very "meh"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad