OT: 2014 Ottawa concerts & festivals thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

littleD

There is a series of shows for Ottawa Race Weekend.

Friday, May 23

6:30 - 7:15 p.m. By The Lights
7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Amos The Transparent
8:45 - 9:45 p.m. Jim Bryson

Saturday, May 24

3:15 - 4:00 p.m. Farewell Davidson
4:15 - 5:00 p.m. Billy Love Band
5:15 - 6:00 p.m. Brant Pethick
6:15 - 7:30 p.m. Furious Gord
7:45 - 9:15 p.m. Hawksley Workman

Sunday, May 25

8:30 - 9:15 a.m. Circus Delights - Kids Show
11:00 a.m. - noon Destiny
12:15 - 1:15 p.m. Friday's Deadline
1:30 - 2:30 p.m. Eric Eggleston

All free at Festival Plaza at City Hall.

littleD

Lots of stuff coming up and new announcements, big and small.

Hollerado are playing a free show in downtown Ottawa on Saturday afternoon (June 7). It's part of the Red Bull Tour Bus Hometown Tour. RSVP here for free entry.

Next weekend, lots of music around. Dozens of (mostly local) bands take part in Ottawa Explosion at various locals across the city. I recommend Protomartyr, who play Club SAW on June 13.

Westfest hits Westboro next weekend as well. Lots of free activities, including shows by Ashley MacIsaac and A Tribe Called Red among many others.

Recently announced, The Black Keys are back in Ottawa. This time playing at Canadian Tire Centre. Show is September 17. Cage the Elephant are the opening act.

Comedian Russell Peters hits Ottawa as part of his upcoming tour. Plays CTC on October 4.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Just went to Metropolis friday night to see Die Antwoord. Man, that place is awesome. I would kill for Ottawa to have a venue like that.

Im heading to Metroplolis tonight for Phoenix. I've been to approx 15 shows there the last 5 years or so and I cant say enough great things about it. Awesome lay out, perfect size, draws great acts, great staff...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Barrymore used to be sort of like the Metropolis

It also used to have fanstastic bands show up on a regular basis

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Barrymore used to be sort of like the Metropolis

It also used to have fanstastic bands show up on a regular basis

Barrymore's is more like Theatre Corona (http://www.theatrecoronavirginmobile.com/en/histoire/) in Montreal than Metropolis. Still a pretty sweet venue, but not near the size of Metropolis.

It's unfortunate that Barrymore's is owned by a huge ****** who's more interested in $3 bar rail nights and kiddie bar promo extravaganzas than running a true music venue/amphitheater.

Also, Ottawa desperately needs a promoter like Evenko. They run top notch shows/venues.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
I'm moving to Ottawa this fall and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a blog or site, or two, that keeps really good concert listings (big or small but indie rock/punk is my sort of thing... don't know who the promoters are in Ottawa).

Also, are there any local record stores that sell concert tickets with lower fees than Ticketmaster?

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Also, got my Folkfest ticket a little while back. Excited to go. Can someone tell me if the current lineup is finalized or do they typically have some late additions? Thanks.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm moving to Ottawa this fall and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a blog or site, or two, that keeps really good concert listings (big or small but indie rock/punk is my sort of thing... don't know who the promoters are in Ottawa).

Also, are there any local record stores that sell concert tickets with lower fees than Ticketmaster?

I recommend the app Bandsintown.

http://www.bandsintown.com/home

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

Unfortunately the internet has really killed the indie record store in Ottawa, you still have Vertigo Records, and Birdman sound. The only local punk/indie promoter that comes to mind is Spectrasonic they have a good fb page with upcoming shows. Punk Ottawa.com use to be the go to place, but its dead nowadays.

If you are into punk, a must is RockFest which is on next weekend in Montebello. NOFX, and other FAT/Skate bands, Weezer, Blink, Alice in chains, etc are all playing there are buses you can catch from ottawa out there.

Good places to see bands play are Zaphods, Mavericks, Cafe Deckuf, Blacksheep (Wakefield).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's unfortunate that Barrymore's is owned by a huge ****** who's more interested in $3 bar rail nights and kiddie bar promo extravaganzas than running a true music venue/amphitheater.

Man, Barrymore's used to be amazing... so sad to hear it's no longer a staple of the scene.

I saw so many awesome shows there. TSOOL, Coldcut, Tea Party, Sam Roberts (just as he was breaking out), Kid Koala, Constantines, Matt Mays, Death from Above 1979...

... so many great memories there. Place was great when Eugene Haslam first bought the joint. Haven't been in a while, I guess the new owner is the club equivalent of a slumlord?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Man, Barrymore's used to be amazing... so sad to hear it's no longer a staple of the scene.

I saw so many awesome shows there. TSOOL, Coldcut, Tea Party, Sam Roberts (just as he was breaking out), Kid Koala, Constantines, Matt Mays, Death from Above 1979...

... so many great memories there. Place was great when Eugene Haslam first bought the joint. Haven't been in a while, I guess the new owner is the club equivalent of a slumlord?

yep, believes that computers are the future, not live music. The place is a shell of what it use to be, and what it can be. The Aloha room ahsn't been open in a long time from what I hear

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010

This will help:
http://www.vertigorecords.ca/showtickets/index.html
http://www.spectrasonic.com/
http://www.punkottawa.com/shows/index.shtml

Vertigo and Compact Music are good places to pick up tickets.

Not very much runs through Ticketmaster in Ottawa.

littleD

Bluesfest making layout changes again this year...

0614bluesfest-mapcxn.jpg

- The Claridge stage, which last year was in the centre of the lawn facing the Canadian War Museum, will move to the eastern end of the field, back to where the main stage was located when Bluesfest first moved to LeBreton Flats.

- The main box office and gate for the festival will move to the centre of the field, essentially to the spot vacated by the Claridge stage, moving ticket lines away from the intersection of the John A. Macdonald Parkway and Booth Street.

- The outer perimeter of the festival will extend behind the war museum. The field will include the road that runs in front of the museum. The secondary entrance to the field will be on the road closer to Booth Street. As a result, patrons will be able to walk unhindered from the main field, through the museum, to the Barney Danson Theatre and the Black Sheep Stage. “It becomes a much more fluid site for moving around,†Monahan said. “We’ve had a hard look at the site to figure out how to do this.â€

- There will be a big screen on Vimy Road, right in front of the museum, and a beer tent in the same area.

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/local-arts/bluesfest-congestion

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Barrymore's used to be a great venue indeed! I saw Suede, Tortoise, Nashville P... (a memorable concert), Noir Desir, Guided by Voices, Rufus Wainwright (another memorable concert), and plenty others there in the late 90s/early 00s, back when I was cool and hip and stuff.

It was a good size without being too impersonal, and you could/can see the stage well from everywhere.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You saw Noir Desir in 2003?!

YOu lucky *******, Des Visages Des Figures is probably my favourite album of all time and I missed it

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

John Holmes*

I saw Matt Good there. Big Wreck. Rusty as well if anyone remembers them. Had some good times at Barrymores. Loved 80's night but hardly ever went because of the line to get in.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Escapade Music Festival have changed venue to the Rideau Carleton Raceway only 2 weeks before the event due to logistic and safety reasons.

10271291_674976432551553_7861879359428241776_o.jpg

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Went to see Ashley MacIsaac at Westfest, my first time at Westfest. The sound was way to low infront of the stage (I was about half way to the back) and/or people were talking WAYYYYY too much, I don't think I've ever been to a concert where literally 75% of people were not paying attention to the act and were just talking. Shame...

My one other question/gripe (if anyone knows), is why don't they have the stage on the street? that would be 1000x better than the awkward hill they have it on

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I don't get it. This is the festival thread isn't?

It's just a joke dude, calm down.... just don't see so many specific posts about logistical issues for venues...

i.e.

This just in Zaphods now stocks toilet paper

I will say this about having a a concert or computer convention in the infield of RCR, parking is not the greatest onsite (if its like Summersault back in 2000), and we parked halfway back to Bank St almost, they might have a better system set up, but just keep that in mind if you want to see an earlier act.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad