Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm guessing LA sees that $5 mill cap hit won't be all that much near the end of the contract with the cap going up, but that's still a long time and while Gaborik played well for them in the playoffs that's a pretty small sample size to hang your hat on. Gonna be interesting to see how that works out

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The cap hit is great, but wow, 7 years for Gabby? That's gonna hurt them eventually. Though, by the 2018-2019 season, who knows what the cap ceiling will be? Might be easy enough to bury him if necessary by then.

Great for Gabby though. Happy for him.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
7 years for Gabby is way too long considering his age and extensive injury history. That's 2 years longer than the term at which the Rangers signed him when he was 27. Crazyness.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The decision that this all hangs on, in my opinion, is Staal or Stralman.

If the idea is to keep Staal, then let Stralman walk and use that cap on a center or LW upgrade over Poo.

If they want to keep Stralman instead, resign him right now, ride Staal while negotiating a trade for him, preferably at the halfway mark rather than the deadline.

Everything moves out from there.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Does that AAV set the bar for a guy like Vanek? If we can sign Vanek for $5m per, sign me the **** up :nod:

This board would be a complete **** show if we had Vanek. Oh my God, if (some of) you guys think Nash is a floater :laugh: I'd sign Vanek if I was Glen Sather just to read these boards every day :biglaugh:

DracoMalfoy62

Jun 25, 2014
New York, NY
7 years for Gabby is way too long considering his age and extensive injury history. That's 2 years longer than the term at which the Rangers signed him when he was 27. Crazyness.

With the core they have in LA now, they have at least 5 more playoff years out of those 7. If he can do 3/4 of what he did this year in those playoffs the deal is worth it. BUT his playoff track record has been inconsistent, which in my mind makes it risky. Im not one of those "only the playoffs matter" guys but you have to imagine that his performance this year played a big role and will set some sort of bar.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
stasny and boyle. if slats is kicking the tires good on him. both those guys make us better right way.

this is the new nyr's. we are in win now mode. we are in one player away mode. we have a window and slats may well be going for it. we laughed at our team earlier last season that we were in tear it down mode but a trip to the scf's changed that. we are a dangerous team. we need to get better.

hanks got 3-4 more top end years. msl is 38. we were in the scf last season. we are close. the core is there. add a few players and we make a serious bid to run the table.

if we add a stasny in the middle and a dan boyle to run the pp, we are a way better offensive team. both those guys address needs and both cost only money. slats doesnt want to move kids to get better. hell swap roster players to get better though.

if it means not reupping on stralman-bad move, moving brass, letting boyle walk and keeping staal. good. keep the core together.

im preparing myself for some serious moves from slats soon. he smells cup. he may well be going for it next season.

neil smith and keenan did it.

cant blame him one bit.

Neil Smith and Keenan had a team with several hall of famers on it. Neil Smith and Keenan won a cup.

Adding Stastny and Dan Boyle doesn't make us better since we will have to lose valuable players to fit them under the cap.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
That Gaborik deal will be frontloaded as much as it can under new CBA and he can retire early without penalty. So it makes sense.

BarbaraAlphanse

Does that AAV set the bar for a guy like Vanek? If we can sign Vanek for $5m per, sign me the **** up :nod:

This board would be a complete **** show if we had Vanek. Oh my God, if (some of) you guys think Nash is a floater :laugh: I'd sign Vanek if I was Glen Sather just to read these boards every day :biglaugh:

I'd add in a gif of nick cage losing his **** but I always screw them up on here and get a weird thumbnail pic of a piece of paper. :(

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I have no qualm about 2 years, honestly. Either he's good enough for the second year or the deal, he retires, or we find a taker for him and retain some salary. It's one year and not that big of a deal. I have a bigger issue with the price tag. Markov got $5.75m in a re-up. What's Boyle getting?

Dan Boyle on a 2 year deal would be a 35+ contract. The 2nd year would still count against the cap if he retires.

Someone else mentioned a 1 year deal with bonuses, but do we really want those bonuses rolling over into next year like Boston is dealing with right now because of Iginla?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Dan Boyle on a 2 year deal would be a 35+ contract. The 2nd year would still count against the cap if he retires.

Someone else mentioned a 1 year deal with bonuses, but do we really want those bonuses rolling over into next year like Boston is dealing with right now because of Iginla?

If you kept reading, you would have seen my correction. I mean buyout, not retirement. Buyout amount would be manageable.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

For me, I don't even care about that.

The question is who goes to make room for him. Moore is faster, which is key in this system, and way younger, might still improve a bit. Klein is signed to a nice deal for a long time.

Boyle is going to be gone for sure in two years, if his legs even last that long. And I think a lot of people are remembering his play from the past when they talk about him in here because he's not nearly the player he's being pumped up as IMO. It's not like he's slumping in the middle of his career. He's aging and breaking down. I just don't see how or why that's worth losing one of our current guys.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad