2014 Non-Wild Playoff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
A lot of Chicago friends hate me right now :biglaugh: called the Gaborik tying goal and that the GWG would go off Leddy's stick. Was damn close

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Why does the game on Wednesday start at 8pm ET? It's in LA

IMO the whole finals schedule is a slap in the face to the Kings from NBC. The games on the West coast should start at 10pm to give the home team the advantage, and not vise versa. It's almost like they are taking away part of the home ice advantage.

I like the NBC deal less and less each year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Any other network would have them at 8 as well, so let's not act like NBC is somehow screwing LA. It's about maximizing ratings, not home ice.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Traded for Richards, Carter, Gaborik...like NYR traded for Nash, St Louis, and signed Richards...more than one way to skin a cat.

Kings also drafted well and had some top picks (Doughty, Johnson). God, I remember being pissed that Minnesota didn't draft Kopitar and picked Pouliot over him.

NYR are an odd team.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul

IMO the whole finals schedule is a slap in the face to the Kings from NBC. The games on the West coast should start at 10pm to give the home team the advantage, and not vise versa. It's almost like they are taking away part of the home ice advantage.

To maximize ratings. Sucks for LA fans with tickets. I'd be furious trying to get down to LA Live in that 3-5PM traffic.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
is that a golden axe enemy in your avatar? :amazed: love it

go gaby! what could've been if we somehow got him instead of moulson... sigh

I actually wonder what the franchise would look like had he re-signed with us instead of going to New York.

Because **** the west and the west coast especially. The eastern time zone is literally the only time zone NBC cares about as far as ratings go.

To maximize ratings. Sucks for LA fans with tickets. I'd be furious trying to get down to LA Live in that 3-5PM traffic.

Well any understanding boss will be more than accommodating if their employees have finals tickets.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
I actually wonder what the franchise would look like had he re-signed with us instead of going to New York.

Because **** the west and the west coast especially. The eastern time zone is literally the only time zone NBC cares about as far as ratings go.

Well any understanding boss will be more than accommodating if their employees have finals tickets.

We probably don't sign Parise and Suter. Russo just put out an article about Gaby and said that the Wild offered him a 10 year deal worth 79.5 million.... :help:

Holy ****! Never knew he wanted out so badly, he left a lot of money on the table. One of my all-time favorite players, but he obviously didn't want to stick around.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Is it wrong that I felt no sympathy for Brown when he got hit from behind into the boards? :sarcasm:

Go Rangers!

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It wouldn't look too good. We wouldn't have been able to sign Suter and Parise. And I'd take those two over Gabby any day of the week. It was his time to go. Yes, we've never been able to get a game breaker like him, but it was still best that he moved on. It's not like he's been stellar on a consistent basis since he's left either.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
We probably don't sign Parise and Suter. Russo just put out an article about Gaby and said that the Wild offered him a 10 year deal worth 79.5 million.... :help:

Holy ****! Never knew he wanted out so badly, he left a lot of money on the table. One of my all-time favorite players, but he obviously didn't want to stick around.

That was the previous regime tho wasn't it?

They way I've heard it is GMDR offered Gaborik that contract at one point and he declined, but after GMCF was hired he actually wanted to talk a little before he walked. So I'm thinking Gaborik was probably soured on GMDR.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

In LA? About 20% of the people like the Kings because LA will cheer for whichever team is successful and therefore trendy with the celebs at the moment, but the other 80% would take "I have Kings Stanley Cup tickets" as an excuse about as seriously as you'd take someone who bailed on you for Swarm Lacrosse preseason tickets.

God, **** LA.

Being serious for a sec though...getting somewhere by 5 on a workday just isn't how California really works. For whatever reason a lot of people tend to work late-shifted hours out here (like 10-7 kind of thing), and then you add in commute times of 45m-1h being pretty normal (even worse in LA). It's just not reasonable.

Last edited:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
It wouldn't look too good. We wouldn't have been able to sign Suter and Parise. And I'd take those two over Gabby any day of the week. It was his time to go. Yes, we've never been able to get a game breaker like him, but it was still best that he moved on. It's not like he's been stellar on a consistent basis since he's left either.

Why wouldn't we have been able to sign them. He would have been making the same money Heater was at the same time and then we wouldn't have needed to go get Pommers either.

If we would have been able to sign Gabby we would never have signed Havlat who turned into the Heater albatross. So we would have had the same exact money to sign those two players.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

Would you want to sign with a team that had DR in charge and very little talent?

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
In LA? About 20% of the people like the Kings because LA will cheer for whichever team is successful and therefore trendy with the celebs at the moment, but the other 80% would take "I have Kings Stanley Cup tickets" as an excuse about as seriously as you'd take someone who bailed on you for Swarm Lacrosse preseason tickets.

God, **** LA.

Being serious for a sec though...getting somewhere by 5 on a workday just isn't how California really works. For whatever reason a lot of people tend to work late-shifted hours out here (like 10-7 kind of thing), and then you add in commute times of 45m-1h being pretty normal (even worse in LA). It's just not reasonable.

Has to be waaaaaaaaaay less than that. Their local ratings for Game 7 vs Chicago were pathetically abysmal. Chicago's local ratings were like a 20.7. LA's? 4.6 or something like that. That's like the equivalent of a Tuesday afternoon Twins game in a city of that size.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Pretty tired about hearing the common misconception and ******** around here and from other fans from the North about LA. I'm a Wild fan, but I live in SoCal. There are plenty of fans out here, and a much larger population that has diverse interests. Hockey has its place, of course sometimes its just the trend, but thats how LA works. Hockey is growing out here, LA has plenty of fans and stop believing that hockey can only be played in cold areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad