2014 Memorial Cup Location

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Schiefele played 45 games, Camara played 50, Ekblad played 54, Lepkowski played 60. We were down top 3 d-men for between 25-30 games!

Okay, please show me which teams missed their top 3 d-men for 25-30 games. I'd love to see. Or should I go do the research myself? :)

I'm not trying to come across as a jacka$$, but I really believe this team would have made noise in the playoffs if we hadn't lost Sieloff, Koekkoek, and Posa (one of those "wish we hadn't done this" moves). This isn't a "you're second last...no matter what" attitude won't work.

That's fine, we can agree to disagree. You're comparing a guy who missed 26 games for the Spits, a guy who missed 23 games for the Spits, and a guy they traded away (so I'm not really sure how that relates) to guys who missed 23, 18 and 14 games. Yes, they missed more but there's also how these guys have performed. There's probably plenty of teams that lost 48 + man games in two good players and traded someone away and performed better. Niagara right off the top of my head (Hamilton, Strome and traded Theoret). Beyond that if you're interested, yes, you may do the research yourself. Stay well.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
You're really coming off as disingenuous Kanuck trying too hard to ridicule others and prop up Barrie. You're no different than a lot of London fans.

I'm not trying to be disingenuous. I'm a Colts fan, I recognize I have a bias. I'm not sure what "no different than a lot of London fans" means. Maybe London fans are thinking I'm "no different than a lot of Windsor fans"? ;) I'm also not sure why I'm even participating in a comparison between a team that is in the final four and a team that finished in the bottom four. It's not even rational. I think I'll take your other bit of advice and we can wait and see who it gets awarded to. Then we can debate why :).

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
My guess is that London will be awarded the hosting gig for the Mem Cup not that I agree
too soon in my view,and other reasons but they no doubt have the best roster returning
especially upfront and in goal projection wise,while Windsor and Barrie both have alot to do
to bring their rosters to the top 5 in the O next yr,Windsor if u include Pavelka has the edge
in goal,def and goals returning
I will say I dont think Pavelka returns he does have offers from Europe to go pro,so any
goaltending edge is out the window,as Wds and Barrie as it stands now both have only 18 year old starters which usually does not occur in Mem Cup scenarios,Defense wise Barrie loses its best offensive guy Oconnor while Windsor returns 9 or 10 D-man with Ohl
experience,although I do feel 3 will be gone,meaning Bowen,McNaughtion and Percy
I have already noted in previoius posts that Windsor projects more goals returning both
upfront and from the back end then Barrie,although it should be noted both teams would need to significantly add to their forward corps to be more competetive
I feel the Johnson scenario is the nail in the coffin for Windsor as to no hosting,while most people I talk to across the league agree that Barrie of the 3 projects to have the weakest lineup returning,not by a wide margin from Windsor,but huge when compared to London
When one looks at it with impartiality,Barrie loses their #1 goalie,their best off Dman,4 or 5 forwards including Scheifele,Beyers,Camara,Faucette or Theoret,while Windsor loses
Koko,Aleardi and maybe Pavelka,London loses Harrington,Hughes,Ferry and probably Sefton,maybe Griffith now that he is signed with Boston, that the 1,2,3 order of London,Windsor and Barrie is pretty accurate,with London talent wise overall the best

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Are you intentionally trying to be naive or does it come to you naturally?

Are you trying to be negative about everything you can, or does it come naturally?

My apologies...I should have known that believing a team that went 3-3 against London this season would have no chance in anything of winning a series against them in the playoffs.

Is that what you were looking for?? :laugh:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Are you trying to be negative about everything you can, or does it come naturally?

My apologies...I should have known that believing a team that went 3-3 against London this season would have no chance in anything of winning a series against them in the playoffs.

Is that what you were looking for?? :laugh:

I will put it in perspective to you. Why was it Sarnia and Saginaw fans did not believe they could make a big run in the playoffs but you thought Windsor could make noise? It's ironic the teams that made the playoffs as 7th and 8th seed didn't think they could make a run but you thought Windsor could. I am sure something like that is totally lost on you.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Hey Guys,

enjoy the back and forth dialogue. Very interesting.

I think that Branch may have no choice but to give it to London, and only by process of elimination. Windsor may be a worse team next year, and Barrie may lose too many of their high end players. London will have a top team, with a money making operation for the OHL.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I will put it in perspective to you. Why was it Sarnia and Saginaw fans did not believe they could make a big run in the playoffs but you thought Windsor could make noise? It's ironic the teams that made the playoffs as 7th and 8th seed didn't think they could make a run but you thought Windsor could. I am sure something like that is totally lost on you.

This team, with Sieloff, Koekkoek, and Posa, and a healthy Marchese, could have beaten both Saginaw and Sarnia.

That said, if we had those three (excluding Posa) in the line-up all second half, it's not unreasonable to think we'd be higher than 8th, like 6th or even 5th. I know, I know...how dare I have optimism that this team could have done well. Silly naive me.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This team, with Sieloff, Koekkoek, and Posa, and a healthy Marchese, could have beaten both Saginaw and Sarnia.

That said, if we had those three (excluding Posa) in the line-up all second half, it's not unreasonable to think we'd be higher than 8th, like 6th or even 5th. I know, I know...how dare I have optimism that this team could have done well. Silly naive me.

Your mo is to take ridiculous stances. Fact of the matter is you are what your record says you are. Windsor finished below .500 and missed the playoffs. You can talk about ifs and buts and candy and nuts. You talk about finishing ahead of Sarnia but if they had Galchenyuk and Murphy all year they would have finished better than 7th. See how easy that was?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Your mo is to take ridiculous stances. Fact of the matter is you are what your record says you are. Windsor finished below .500 and missed the playoffs. You can talk about ifs and buts and candy and nuts. You talk about finishing ahead of Sarnia but if they had Galchenyuk and Murphy all year they would have finished better than 7th. See how easy that was?

If there was not a NHL lockout I think Galchenyuk and Murphy would have been in

the NHL and Sarnia probably would not have been able to bank pts at the start

of the season,conversely had Koko been here all year Spits probably would have

made the playoffs,but I get your pt re ifs and butts,it was what it was

Missing the playoffs is one reason why they wont get to host the Mem Cup

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

So you truly believe that, if we had Koekkoek, Sieloff, Bateman (forgot he was injured), and Marchese for all season we'd still have finished 9th? If me being optimistic is a "ridiculous stance", what is being negative all the time? Sure isn't any better.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

So this is what I said, more or less, and I was disingenuous? So confused... :help:

P.S. - Your assessment above is accurate, I would say.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Wds and Barrie as it stands now both have only 18 year old starters which usually does not occur in Mem Cup scenarios,

The last two OHL hosts had 18 year old starters at the beginning of the season (Mississauga - Anderson, Kitchener - Unice). Ironically, the last OHL host to enter the season without an 18 year old start was, wait for it, the London Knights. Will it be three in a row, or will the Knights break the cycle again?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The last two OHL hosts had 18 year old starters at the beginning of the season (Mississauga - Anderson, Kitchener - Unice). Ironically, the last OHL host to enter the season without an 18 year old start was, wait for it, the London Knights. Will it be three in a row, or will the Knights break the cycle again?

Note I said usually,and btw neither Missy or Kitchener with Anderson and Unice

right?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So you truly believe that, if we had Koekkoek, Sieloff, Bateman (forgot he was injured), and Marchese for all season we'd still have finished 9th? If me being optimistic is a "ridiculous stance", what is being negative all the time? Sure isn't any better.

Can we stop including Bateman in that please he still played 56 games this year which isn't bad. Sieloff played 45 games and for when he was in the lineup this team was still near the bottom of the conference. We can't play revisionist history here and redo the injury thing. If the Whalers had JT Miller for a whole season they probably finish 1st in the conference etc.. There's being optimistic and acting like Windsor was the only team that had injuries. They all came in the 2nd half which hurt but how do you explain the poor play from September-December? I prefer to agree with Legend that not having Koko for half the year was far bigger than what happened in the 2nd half. I would also put the poor use of cards eg. Bezuch, Ionin as bigger reasons why they failed and couldn't combat injuries. If you had more cards you could have made additional moves.

You say without the injuries they could have finished 5th or 6th. To finish 6th that would mean making up 17 points to equal the Soo. Or 5th which would mean making up 23 points to equal Guelph. This is what I mean when I said ridiculous stance. It's one thing to say that a few more wins they get in the playoffs but to think injuries cost this team a 5th or 6th seed? You're the lone ranger on that one and going out a thin branch.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You say without the injuries they could have finished 5th or 6th. To finish 6th that would mean making up 17 points to equal the Soo. Or 5th which would mean making up 23 points to equal Guelph. This is what I mean when I said ridiculous stance. It's one thing to say that a few more wins they get in the playoffs but to think injuries cost this team a 5th or 6th seed? You're the lone ranger on that one and going out a thin branch.

If I'm the lone ranger on a thin branch, so be it. It's not the first time and, assuming I'm optimistic next year and you're still posting, I'm sure it won't be the last.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Note I said usually,and btw neither Missy or Kitchener with Anderson and Unice

right?

I saw the usually part, and that's a subjective word so I'm not going to argue the point. I just thought it was interesting that hasn't been the case for the last two OHL hosts.

Fotinos will be older (18 years, 9 months) to start next season than both Anderson (18 years, 4 months), and Unice (18 years 2 months) were to start the season as the expected starting goaltenders for Memorial Cup hosts. Anderson was the de facto starter, and Unice's backup to start that year was even younger than he was (Parks).

Percyma

Oct 30, 2011
Hey Guys,

enjoy the back and forth dialogue. Very interesting.

I think that Branch may have no choice but to give it to London, and only by process of elimination. Windsor may be a worse team next year, and Barrie may lose too many of their high end players. London will have a top team, with a money making operation for the OHL.

I'm interested in learning about why you think that Windsor may have a worse team next season.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
As a Knights fan, I would say that it's too soon to be given the cup again. If Windsor or Barrie could ice better teams (I know, we're just speculating right now), one of them should get the cup.

But I think the Knights are in a lucky position. They are the only team bidding that looks like they will be at least a top 5 team in the O. This is right after 2 Memorial Cup hosts took the early exit in their respective playoffs, which had a lot of people upset.

This is why I think the Knights should get the Cup. Yes, it is too soon and it might look unfair to the other teams in the league. I just think that the roster comparisons, at this point, aren't all that close.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
I'm interested in learning about why you think that Windsor may have a worse team next season.

They will lose their OAs including Aleardi, and possibly the Russian. Besides Rychel, and Vail, I dont see any other player on the team progressing. They have a core of 94s that should help with maturity and experience.

Unless Rychel brings in some key players, it is always difficult to win in the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad