2014 Memorial Cup Location

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
One factor in this SAGA, can be " Does Branch want the Mem Cup winner to be from the OHL?" If so, then he will choose London, and not Barrie, as Barrie will lose too many key players.

London would still have the opportunity to go in thru the front door if Barrie (or Windsor) gets the gig.

I think the Hunters will be in go for it mode regardless of the Bid outcome. He basically left the cupboards alone this year (getting his adds as FAs, and giving up a 5th/6th Dman) adn returns a good chunk from this years team. Losing only a couple key contributers

Going to be interesting hearing the explanation as to who gets it and why.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
London would still have the opportunity to go in thru the front door if Barrie (or Windsor) gets the gig.

I think the Hunters will be in go for it mode regardless of the Bid outcome. He basically left the cupboards alone this year (getting his adds as FAs, and giving up a 5th/6th Dman) adn returns a good chunk from this years team. Losing only a couple key contributers

Going to be interesting hearing the explanation as to who gets it and why.

Correct, London should win the West next year.

But I still think goaltending may be an issue going forward. Not much so far, but when you go up against Plymouth, or Kitchener, or OS with their top end scoring, it may be a tough task for Stolarz and Patterson.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Stolarz was terrific in the first series. I believe he's a top 10 goalie in this league. It'll be interesting to see if he can hold up his numbers in the coming series.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Stolarz was terrific in the first series. I believe he's a top 10 goalie in this league. It'll be interesting to see if he can hold up his numbers in the coming series.

I agree that he was good in the first series. He let in 7 goals against a young 8th seeded team.

The next few series wont be as friendly for him and London. Thats when he has to show his metal and stick out from the crowd.

Last year they had more talent and a top 3 goalie, and were still not able to bring back the Mem Cup. I hope it is different this year for London. I like the Hunters and they deserve to win the Mem Cup and they have a chance to repeat at home next year:yo:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Whaaaa..........? LOL

I like the Hunters and they deserve to win the Mem Cup and they have a chance to repeat at home next year

Not often I read cheerleading for London or the Hunter evil empire outside the forest city. :handclap:

Correct, London should win the West next year.

But I still think goaltending may be an issue going forward. Not much so far, but when you go up against Plymouth, or Kitchener, or OS with their top end scoring, it may be a tough task for Stolarz and Patterson.

Saginaw had 2 44 goal scorers on their team both in the top 7 in OHL scoring this season. No other team in the OHL can state that claim. Stolarz did pretty well against them without his best defenceman in front of him. ;)

As for showing his "metal"...his shield will hold up just fine.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^Windsor won back-to-back Memorial Cups on the road and could have hosted going for a threepeat and the Host Selection Committee chose Mississauga because they wanted to build a fanbase in the GTA or some ****. And Windsor made it to the conference finals that year aka final four, so we were competitive and would have been more so if we had kept Cantin and Shugg.

But nobody expects any truth or consistency from Branch and lackeys.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'll answer your question in a second, because if that's what you're focusing on I think you may have missed the points of my post, which is that the Blades sweep is not an embarrassment and shouldn't have a bearing on the decision process. To elaborate:

- The references he stated are largely Eastern opinions, and I wonder how many of those games they actually watched? The Blades were a very good team this year that ran into a goalie who played out of his skull. They outshot the Tigers and averaged 40 something shots a night. They aren't the first team that's been taken down by a hot tender. Any #1 or #2 seed could potentially go down in that situation, and I don't think that it's the embarrassment that those references are making it out to be. Moreover, it won't be "Biggest upset of #CHL 1st rd is complete" as Broadhead has suggested if Belleville and/or Rimouski keeps going the way they are... That's a little premature of a comment at least, could even be considered uneducated.
Exactly too much teeth gnashing about what happened with Saskatoon. You should also mention a possible bigger upset happening in the WHL.

Seattle #7 seed is up 3-1 on #2 seed Kelowna

Kelowna goal differential of 131
Seattle goal differential of -76

Yet you don't hear a peep about that series for some reason. Saskatoon didn't get the job done but Medicine Hat at least had some decent metrics in their favor such as -1 goal differential, there was only a 19 point differential between the 2 teams. Kelowna and Seattle there's a 50 point differential. If Seattle somehow wins one of the next three it will be the biggest upset in recent CHL playoff history. Im sure Simon or Phlyer would somehow rationalize the Saskatoon-Medicine Hat series was a bigger upset though.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

Yet you don't hear a peep about that series for some reason.

Thanks, forgot about that one.

Saskatoon didn't get the job done but Medicine Hat at least had some decent metrics in their favor such as -1 goal differential, there was only a 19 point differential between the 2 teams. Kelowna and Seattle there's a 50 point differential. If Seattle somehow wins one of the next three it will be the biggest upset in recent CHL playoff history. Im sure Simon or Phlyer would somehow rationalize the Saskatoon-Medicine Hat series was a bigger upset though.

Simon and Phlyer are one thing. How about Broadhead? THIS is the guy on Friday Night CHL Hockey?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Thanks, forgot about that one.

Simon and Phlyer are one thing. How about Broadhead? THIS is the guy on Friday Night CHL Hockey?

What's funny is Saskatoon beat out Kelowna and Red Deer to host the Memorial Cup. Kelowna as just mentioned might be on the outside looking in, how's the Kelowna Rockets Memorial Cup contender doing yep that's right you have crickets right now. Red Deer? Maybe they had a case but right now they are the 3rd best team in Alberta. Broadhead trying too hard to stir the pot. The bidding process has become a sham as evidenced from only 3 teams willing to bid in the OHL, 3 teams did it last year for the WHL. Teams are now scared off of bidding now and that wasn't the intention of the bidding process. The junior hockey model needs to be readjusted or the game will decline, in fact you can already make the case the past few years the game has declined. Sportsnet can't sell the game as hard as they try.

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012
I'll answer your question in a second, because if that's what you're focusing on I think you may have missed the points of my post, which is that the Blades sweep is not an embarrassment and shouldn't have a bearing on the decision process. To elaborate:

- The references he stated are largely Eastern opinions, and I wonder how many of those games they actually watched? The Blades were a very good team this year that ran into a goalie who played out of his skull. They outshot the Tigers and averaged 40 something shots a night. They aren't the first team that's been taken down by a hot tender. Any #1 or #2 seed could potentially go down in that situation, and I don't think that it's the embarrassment that those references are making it out to be. Moreover, it won't be "Biggest upset of #CHL 1st rd is complete" as Broadhead has suggested if Belleville and/or Rimouski keeps going the way they are... That's a little premature of a comment at least, could even be considered uneducated.
Exactly too much teeth gnashing about what happened with Saskatoon. You should also mention a possible bigger upset happening in the WHL.

Yet you don't hear a peep about that series for some reason. Saskatoon didn't get the job done but Medicine Hat at least had some decent metrics in their favor such as -1 goal differential, there was only a 19 point differential between the 2 teams. Kelowna and Seattle there's a 50 point differential. If Seattle somehow wins one of the next three it will be the biggest upset in recent CHL playoff history. Im sure Simon or Phlyer would somehow rationalize the Saskatoon-Medicine Hat series was a bigger upset though.

Last time I looked that series is still going. Also Kelowna has not quite lost the first 3 like the Blades did.
4 games, 4 goals....wow yeah their a powerhouse . The WHL BC & US divisions are always tougher than the east more often than not.

This will have some bearing on the selection committee .... Bank it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Last time I looked that series is still going. Also Kelowna has not quite lost the first 3 like the Blades did.
4 games, 4 goals....wow yeah their a powerhouse . The WHL BC & US divisions are always tougher than the east more often than not.

So now margin of defeat matters? :laugh::laugh:

So Kelowna deserves a pat on the back because they're still alive in a series down 3-1 who they finished ahead by 50 points?

Keep plucking that chicken Simon. Since you know what will have a bearing on the committee and what doesn't let us know how all the bids go on April 17th.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Since you know what will have a bearing on the committee and what doesn't let us know how all the bids go on April 17th.

I know this too - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Want to know how the bids go on the 17th - London hosts.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
4 games, 4 goals....wow yeah their a powerhouse .

So you've watched all 8 games in both series? Or are you a stat sheet commentator?

The WHL BC & US divisions are always tougher than the east more often than not.

Is that why the last 3 WHL Champs have come from the East? And two of those last three Championship series were 4-1...

Could be, but it will be hard to prove though unless the real identity of SimonKnightsman is Gord Kirke.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
^Windsor won back-to-back Memorial Cups on the road and could have hosted going for a threepeat and the Host Selection Committee chose Mississauga because they wanted to build a fanbase in the GTA or some ****. And Windsor made it to the conference finals that year aka final four, so we were competitive and would have been more so if we had kept Cantin and Shugg.

But nobody expects any truth or consistency from Branch and lackeys.

For clarity, when the selection committee chose Windsor, it didn't look as though they would have been hosting for the threepeat. They looked like they were going to lose to the Kitchener Rangers in the Conference Final.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
For clarity, when the selection committee chose Windsor, it didn't look as though they would have been hosting for the threepeat. They looked like they were going to lose to the Kitchener Rangers in the Conference Final.

Are you sure about this? Because Misissauga was announced the host on May 11th, and I remember Branch had the decision pushed back as it was originally supposed to be named in early May, which would have been during the League Championship between Windsor and Barrie.

Windsor was down 3-0 to Kitchener on April 18th, won the series on April 25th. The original date to announce the host was supposed to be May 3rd.

When is the final decision made by the selection committee? Windsor made it's bid on April 14th - so safe to assume all teams were around then. Even assume Spits were the last to make their presentation - if the selection committee took a week to decide the Spits series would have been at 3-2 Kitchener on April 22nd.

I'd assume their decision would be made closer to the unveiling date, so in this case would have been made closer to May3rd, so the likelihood would be that their decision would be made after Windsor came back to beat Kitchener in seven games.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Are you sure about this? Because Misissauga was announced the host on May 11th, and I remember Branch had the decision pushed back as it was originally supposed to be named in early May, which would have been during the League Championship between Windsor and Barrie.

Windsor was down 3-0 to Kitchener on April 18th, won the series on April 25th. The original date to announce the host was supposed to be May 3rd.

When is the final decision made by the selection committee? Windsor made it's bid on April 14th - so safe to assume all teams were around then. Even assume Spits were the last to make their presentation - if the selection committee took a week to decide the Spits series would have been at 3-2 Kitchener on April 22nd.

I'd assume their decision would be made closer to the unveiling date, so in this case would have been made closer to May3rd, so the likelihood would be that their decision would be made after Windsor came back to beat Kitchener in seven games.

I'm pretty sure all teams present on the same day, and we'll go with your date of April 14th. I'd assume they make the decision sometime before the morning of the announcement...I'm thinking within a week of the presentations. Regardless, at the very least the Spitfires hat not yet won their second straight Mem Cup at the time of the decision.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
So they had one Mem Cup the year earlier, and were in the league finals and were basically the #1 team in the country all season. Given the decision wasn't going to be announced until May 3rd, I'm confident that they committee would have waited to see the conference finals outcome at the least.

Besides, the premise of the remark I was responding to was giving Hunter the cup already this year and how he'd then deserve to got for a repeat at home next year.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Whaaaa..........? LOL

Not often I read cheerleading for London or the Hunter evil empire outside the forest city. :handclap:

Say what you want about the Hunters and their tactics, but at the end of the day, they are the hardest working Mgmt team (especially Marc Hunter), in the OHL.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Saginaw had 2 44 goal scorers on their team both in the top 7 in OHL scoring this season. No other team in the OHL can state that claim. Stolarz did pretty well against them without his best defenceman in front of him. ;)

As for showing his "metal"...his shield will hold up just fine.

I hope for London's case.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
So they had one Mem Cup the year earlier, and were in the league finals and were basically the #1 team in the country all season. Given the decision wasn't going to be announced until May 3rd, I'm confident that they committee would have waited to see the conference finals outcome at the least.

Besides, the premise of the remark I was responding to was giving Hunter the cup already this year and how he'd then deserve to got for a repeat at home next year.

I was just pointing out that the Spits were not two time defending champs at the time of the decision. Nor were they basically the number 1 team in the country all season. They spent more weeks at #3 than #1:

Week 1: Hitmen #1, Voltigeurs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 2: Hitmen #1, Voltigeurs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 3: Hitmen #1, Voltigeurs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 4: Hitmen #1, Spitfires #2
Week 5: Hitmen #1, Voltigeurs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 6: Voltigeurs #1, Hitmen #2, Spitfires #3
Week 7: Hitmen #1, Voltigeurs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 8: Voltigeurs #1, Rangers #2, Hitmen #3, Spitfires #4
Week 9: Voltigeurs #1, Spitfires #2
Week 10: Spitfires #1
Week 11: Spitfires #1
Week 12: Spitfires #1
Week 13: Spitfires #1
Week 14: Spitfires #1
Week 15: Spitfires #1
Week 16: Spitfires #1
Week 17: Spitfires #1
Week 18: Seadogs #1, Colts #2, Spitfires #3
Week 19: Seadogs #1, Colts #2, Spitfires #3
Week 20: Seadogs #1, Colts #2, Spitfires #3
Week 21: Seadogs #1, Colts #2, Spitfires #3
Week 22: Seadogs #1, Colts #2, Spitfires #3
Week 23: Colts #1, Seadogs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 24: Colts #1, Seadogs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 25: Colts #1, Seadogs #2, Spitfires #3
Week 26: Colts #1, Seadogs #2, Spitfires #3

Look, I think the Spits were worthy in 2011, but the conspiracy stuff is a bit much. Branch couldn't have known they were going to repeat in 2010, nor were the Spits #1 (or even #2) at the time. The Majors proved to be worthy, as they were the best team in the regular season and ended up going to the OHL final and the Mem Cup final.

Just like the Spits of 2010, the committee will have to award the Mem Cup before finding out if the Knights are going to be the Mem Cup Champs. I'll agree with you on that point. They'll probably have to make the decision before finding out if they're going to be OHL Champs. Whatever the decision ends up being, it can't possibly be to "give them a chance a repeating" if they don't even know who's won yet.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
No team should be awarded the Cup because they have a chance to repeat, three peat or whatever. Not Windsor, not London
They have other criteria. And if their picked based on that, great.
I also (with others) think the bid is awarded PRE memorial cup, so its mute point.

Im not sure Saskatoon bowing out early is as bad as some are making it out to be either. They lost a PO series.Thats it, it happens. Is it ideal, of course not, but they had a decent dseason. ALbeit incinsistent. They were in trouble early, made changes to get better, and finished strong. Thats all you can ask, is that they honour the system. I would like system change thou!
The paid the price to get better and it didnt result in PO success. I think it would have been different if they sat on their hands and didnt mortgage the future to try and improve.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
The Majors proved to be worthy, as they were the best team in the regular season and ended up going to the OHL final and the Mem Cup final.

Certainly helped by getting Shugg and Cantin from the Spits. Spits also made it to the F4 that year, after trying to sell basically all season. If Spits would have got the hosting gig they would have kept Shugg and Cantin, and would have shored up from the get-go.

Melnyk bought it. And then he cashed out right after hosting it. And everybody knew he was going to do that.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Mississauga was a joke. They couldn't even fill their building. Melnyk bought the bid and GTFO.

They had no business hosting. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy, but it was horse **** from the get-go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad