2014 Memorial Cup Location

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If Saskatoon bows out in the first round (down 2-0 going into Medicine Hat), could that open the door for the London Knights? That would be 2 host teams in a row losing early in their own league. They have the strongest team out of the 3. Barrie and Windsor are serious wildcards.

I just don't think it's good for the CHL if a team that is having all kinds of trouble with their own league, is given a free pass into the tournament of league champions. Not saying that Barrie and Windsor won't be strong teams (hard to tell), but the Knights seem to be the safer selection.

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
If Saskatoon bows out in the first round (down 2-0 going into Medicine Hat), could that open the door for the London Knights? That would be 2 host teams in a row losing early in their own league. They have the strongest team out of the 3. Barrie and Windsor are serious wildcards.

I just don't think it's good for the CHL if a team that is having all kinds of trouble with their own league, is given a free pass into the tournament of league champions. Not saying that Barrie and Windsor won't be strong teams (hard to tell), but the Knights seem to be the safer selection.

Now the Blades are down 4-0 in game 3.:laugh:

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Windsor is out of the running - the Ben Johnson case ended whatever faint hope Windsor might have fooled themselves into having. It's down to Barrie or London.

Barrie should get it. Host team doesn't need to be the odds on favorite, they just need to be competitive in the tournament.

Patrick4444

Jan 25, 2013
Barrie ON
Although there is plenty Spits fans out there that still think they have a chance at hosting, I just think at this point its too unlikely. So I agree its most likely down to other London or Barrie. As a Colts fan I'd like to think Barrie has the edge, but with all honesty I'm thinking the league is leaning towards London. Big rink, almost guaranteed contender, and guaranteed money will probably overshadow the fact that they host so recently in 2005. I would love to be wrong, because this very well may be Barrie's last chance at hosting. Ill go with 60% chance London gets it, 30% chance Barrie gets it, 10% chance Windsor gets it.

Percyma

Oct 30, 2011

Didn't last year's Memorial Cup host team, Shawinigan, get bounced in the second round of the QMJHL play-offs last spring? How did the Memorial Cup tournament end up working out for them?

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

In any junior hockey team their is some risk. What happens if Domi and Horvat make the NHL but Camara and Khoklachev get returned? Not saying it's likely, but Colts fans certainly didn't expect Burmistrov to stay up (too small) immediately after his draft and he did (course that GM lost his job, possibly due to those types of stupid moves)...

Having said that, the Knights will get it if the OHL goes strength of bid. The only thing that gives anyone else a shot is the fact that they hosted in 05. I actually think the league should give that due consideration (it's far too soon), but I'm not sure they will.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Having said that, the Knights will get it if the OHL goes strength of bid. The only thing that gives anyone else a shot is the fact that they hosted in 05. I actually think the league should give that due consideration (it's far too soon), but I'm not sure they will.

Totally agree. Ive been saying that for a while.

If Barrie gets the host gig, I think most London fans will understand. If the Knights are awarded the opportunity, there will be alot of fans of other teams barking (and understandably so)

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012
In any junior hockey team their is some risk. What happens if Domi and Horvat make the NHL but Camara and Khoklachev get returned? Not saying it's likely, but Colts fans certainly didn't expect Burmistrov to stay up (too small) immediately after his draft and he did (course that GM lost his job, possibly due to those types of stupid moves)...

and last nights debacle in Alberta.

Again the host goes down early but this time Saskatoon went a little earlier than Shawi.

Words being thrown around today are going to weigh heavy on the CHL now.

Patrick King ‏@SNPatrickKing 8h I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tigers deserve a lot of credit here. Still, the host team shouldn't get swept in round one.

RJ Broadhead ‏@SNRJBroadhead 8h Biggest upset of #CHL 1st rd is complete. @tigershockey sweep @MCMemorialCup hosts. It will be a long 7 weeks for @bladeshockeyRetweeted by Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 8h It's pretty safe to say that the Knights will be a very good team next year. Windsor without a 1st round pick & Barrie losing key players.

Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 8h So @bladeshockey are swept out of the playoffs. This can't hurt the @GoLondonKnights chances to host next years #memorialcup

Brendan Ross ‏@RossyYoungblood 8h Soooo it appears the #2013MemorialCup hosts are not only going to be ousted in rd 1 of #WHLPlayoffs but they'll be swept. #whatajoke

Patrick King ‏@SNPatrickKing 8h Embarrassing hardly begins to describe it. This is not good for the CHL

Sunaya Sapurji ‏@sunayas 8h The 2013 Memorial Cup host Saskatoon Blades have been swept out of the #WHL playoffs in the first round by the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Patrick King ‏@SNPatrickKing 8h That's it. The MasterCard Memorial Cup host Saskatoon Blades are swept in the first round. Their next game is on May 17, in 52 days.

Bubba P

Nov 12, 2012
I don`t think teams like London,Kitchener & Ottawa should be able to buy their way into the Memorial Cup every 3 years or so just because they have the biggest arenas & lots of money. That would ruin the league faster than Branch is now. Why would any player want to go to another team when those 3 teams have a 33% chance of going to the Cup every 3 years. Also, who know what kind of team the 3 bidders will have. Lots can happen in the off season.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don`t think teams like London,Kitchener & Ottawa should be able to buy their way into the Memorial Cup every 3 years or so just because they have the biggest arenas & lots of money. That would ruin the league faster than Branch is now. Why would any player want to go to another team when those 3 teams have a 33% chance of going to the Cup every 3 years. Also, who know what kind of team the 3 bidders will have. Lots can happen in the off season.

There's a reason why you don't see teams like the Soo, Sarnia, Guelph(declined this year), Brampton, Kingston etc. don't bid. Even Guelph said one of the reasons they declined is it's gotten too big. A lot of London fans would obviously be happy if they got the Memorial Cup but it would be the death knell of the bidding process for when it comes up to be the OHL's turn again.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Don't use your money to treat players better - use your money to give to the league and host the memorial cup. Hosting the cup will then give you more money to which you can then offer us in three years to host the next cup as well.

What a friggin' racket.

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012

London are only bidding not buying, if it was for sale that would be easier. Funny I don't hear anyone complaining 2 years back when Missy held it. You wanna talk serious money and buying a Mem Cup bid then look at that bid...Melnyks.......the Hunters are bidding on a level field.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Funny I don't hear anyone complaining 2 years back when Missy held it.

LOTS of people were complaining. The consensus was that Melnyk bought it and Branch wanted to showcase junior hockey to the GTA. In fact, I haven't heard that much 'money talks' discussion since I started following the OHL in 91.

I don't buy that the Hunters are bidding on a level field, but that's just me.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't really know how the process works or anything but other then selling seat's why don't the they award the Mem Cup to the winner of the league who hosts it and give the runners up a birth

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
London are only bidding not buying, if it was for sale that would be easier. Funny I don't hear anyone complaining 2 years back when Missy held it. You wanna talk serious money and buying a Mem Cup bid then look at that bid...Melnyks.......the Hunters are bidding on a level field.

Ummmm there was a lot of complaining when Mississauga hosted it, there was skepticism whether they would be able to draw fans.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

Well you weren't listening. And the company line then was Mississauga won the bid because they wanted to use it to build up a fanbase in the GTA. Well, London has no fanbase building necessary - so now Branch will come up with some other BS reasoning to hide the fact that it's for sale - money being spent is a-ok as long as it's going into his/leagues pocket.

Funny how Melynuk bails out of the league the year after hosting - great job host selection committee, give the man money on his way out the door rather than rewarding new ownership who spent $8M (more than the team was worth) to buy the team from one of the leagues worst owners, a city who's tax payers built a $70M arena basically for the Spits, and a team who could have threepeat for the Memorial Cup.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
and last nights debacle in Alberta.

Again the host goes down early but this time Saskatoon went a little earlier than Shawi.

Words being thrown around today are going to weigh heavy on CHL now.

How many of your quotes come from Western based sources? Interesting...

No matter how you cut it, they were still one of the best in the WHL this year. It's not like they were a sham of a team...

One last time: Your Knights have the best bid. Only way another city gets it is if the CHL realizes that going back to the same place very nine years is a joke. Finally there are no guarantees in junior hockey and, depending on who they lose, the Knights MAY not be the best of the three teams bidding.

Last edited:

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Out of the other 2 who MAY have the better team? Just curious.

I'll answer your question in a second, because if that's what you're focusing on I think you may have missed the points of my post, which is that the Blades sweep is not an embarrassment and shouldn't have a bearing on the decision process. To elaborate:

- The references he stated are largely Eastern opinions, and I wonder how many of those games they actually watched? The Blades were a very good team this year that ran into a goalie who played out of his skull. They outshot the Tigers and averaged 40 something shots a night. They aren't the first team that's been taken down by a hot tender. Any #1 or #2 seed could potentially go down in that situation, and I don't think that it's the embarrassment that those references are making it out to be. Moreover, it won't be "Biggest upset of #CHL 1st rd is complete" as Broadhead has suggested if Belleville and/or Rimouski keeps going the way they are... That's a little premature of a comment at least, could even be considered uneducated.

- This is Junior hockey, and you never know for sure who is going to return. Was Sam Gagner at all of what, 5'10" and 170 lbs at the time expected to stick with the Oilers after his draft year? London definitely has the edge based on what one could expect to return, but there are no guarantees.

So, to answer your question, either Barrie or Windsor could return a better team next year. It's not bloody likely and some crazy stuff would have to happen...like Camara and Khokhlachev return to their OHL teams while Domi (interestingly almost the same height and weight as Gagner), Horvat, and Griffith make their NHL clubs...but it could happen. Like I said though, that wasn't the point of my post (hence why it was an addendum and why I capitalized the word MAY).

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How are the Blades getting swept not a major upset? Remember, SWEPT. Saskatoon couldn't win a single game, against a 7th seed. A lot of teams have to battle hot goalies, and when you're team is supposedly that much better, you should find a way to win the series, or keep it close. Keep in mind, Medicine Hat was jumping out to big leads every game. Any way you slice it, it's an upset. A sweep makes it that much worse.

The only forwards that the Knights might lose are Broadhurst and Griffith. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll still have them. NO chance that Domi and Horvat make it to the show at 18. Give it a couple of years.

There's a good chance Harrington is gone. Maatta is probably going to stay, but he could stick with the Pens. Ferry and Hughes are gone.

If Branch puts more stock into the strength of team than he usually would, Knights would get the advantage (recently hosted or not).

I wouldn't be angry if the Knights didn't get it. I understand that many fans would be angry if the Knights got it so soon. But if any team would have a chance under these circumstances, it's this Knights team. If their bid is substantially better than Barrie's, the CHL would have to consider London.

Even still, I think Barrie will get it.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
The hosting of the cup used to be awarded to the winner, in this case of the OHL. Back then it was a small market and attendance was an issue. The format was change to plan and pretty much guarantee sellouts for the games. Now it is huge business, national TV coverage but to go along with that in the OHL big bids. Small markets teams in the OHL haven't the revenue to compete against some of the big market teams, who can spend the money to get imports and some say under the table deals (oops that doesn't happen in the OHL)

For the 2014 cup only 3 team officially bid out of the 20. Making the short list to decide was fairly easy but it is worrisome as I stated above, the small market teams realize their situation thus cannot or just refuse to bid because there is no way they can match up financially. Of the 3 teams only 2 are in the running, sadly the best pick is London as they have the team, facility, amenities, experience in hosting etc. In other words they have and are the complete package . I Like Barrie and hope they get it but to be brutally honest, they won't.

I'll answer your question in a second, because if that's what you're focusing on I think you may have missed the points of my post, which is that the Blades sweep is not an embarrassment and shouldn't have a bearing on the decision process. To elaborate:

- The references he stated are largely Eastern opinions, and I wonder how many of those games they actually watched? The Blades were a very good team this year that ran into a goalie who played out of his skull. They outshot the Tigers and averaged 40 something shots a night. They aren't the first team that's been taken down by a hot tender. Any #1 or #2 seed could potentially go down in that situation, and I don't think that it's the embarrassment that those references are making it out to be. Moreover, it won't be "Biggest upset of #CHL 1st rd is complete" as Broadhead has suggested if Belleville and/or Rimouski keeps going the way they are... That's a little premature of a comment at least, could even be considered uneducated.

- This is Junior hockey, and you never know for sure who is going to return. Was Sam Gagner at all of what, 5'10" and 170 lbs at the time expected to stick with the Oilers after his draft year? London definitely has the edge based on what one could expect to return, but there are no guarantees.

So, to answer your question, either Barrie or Windsor could return a better team next year. It's not bloody likely and some crazy stuff would have to happen...like Camara and Khokhlachev return to their OHL teams while Domi (interestingly almost the same height and weight as Gagner), Horvat, and Griffith make their NHL clubs...but it could happen. Like I said though, that wasn't the point of my post (hence why it was an addendum and why I capitalized the word MAY).
Oh I got your post...and I saw the MAY..I was just wondering what variables would prompt you to put London below the other 2 teams when it came to returning players. I'll play along though and state even if London did lose the players you mentioned..they'd still ice a better team than the other 2 bidding teams.;)

London or Barrie I think should get the hosting rights. I've already voiced my opinion as to why I feel Windsor shouldn't.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
How are the Blades getting swept not a major upset? Remember, SWEPT. Saskatoon couldn't win a single game, against a 7th seed. A lot of teams have to battle hot goalies, and when you're team is supposedly that much better, you should find a way to win the series, or keep it close. Keep in mind, Medicine Hat was jumping out to big leads every game. Any way you slice it, it's an upset. A sweep makes it that much worse.

We may be talking nomenclature. I never said it wasn't an upset. It most certainly was. I said it wasn't an embarrassment. There is a difference, and "professional" media should understand the nuance.

The only forwards that the Knights might lose are Broadhurst and Griffith. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll still have them. NO chance that Domi and Horvat make it to the show at 18. Give it a couple of years.

Like I said above to begin with, it's certainly not likely. But it's not NO chance. It's a small chance. Maybe 1/1000, but there's a chance. They're eligible, and I've seen a fair share of players I was certain would be back stick in the show. I've also see a fair share of players I expected to stick who get sent back.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Oh I got your post...and I saw the MAY..I was just wondering what variables would prompt you to put London below the other 2 teams when it came to returning players. I'll play along though and state even if London did lose the players you mentioned..they'd still ice a better team than the other 2 bidding teams.;)

On that we will agree to disagree, but, if necessary, I could always extrapolate the example out further to say they also lose... ;)

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
On that we will agree to disagree, but, if necessary, I could always extrapolate the example out further to say they also lose... ;)

One factor in this SAGA, can be " Does Branch want the Mem Cup winner to be from the OHL?" If so, then he will choose London, and not Barrie, as Barrie will lose too many key players.

Hunters have full cupboards of players waiting to come to play with them, plus all the returnees. They have McCarron, and if given the Bid, they will definitely be able to lure another top end US kid to play for them next year.

My heart says Barrie, but my brains and wallet say London.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad