2014 Memorial Cup Location

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Is it a knock on the Colts or the Knights or both? Perhaps just a statement of fact? If that's the case apologies, but I'm then I'm not sure how the statement is germane.

Just a statement. Windsor and Barrie had their series end up May 4th 2010. Branch and company almost waited a full week before announcing who was hosting the cup in 2011, announcement came on May 10th. Looks to me they were delaying the announcement in 2010 for the exact same reasons.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Golly gee, is anyone surprised?

Congrats London fans. I'm sure most of you remember the last one, since it wasn't that long ago. It's a heck of a lot of fun and I'm sure London will do a fantastic job.

Having said that, the message has come through loud and clear. If you're a small market team with less than 9,000 seats, don't bother bidding. It's a waste of time and money.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I'm done with the OHL. Enjoy your gong show league run by a little corrupt dictator that is bought and paid for, but pretends to be holier than thou.

Mississauga gets it in 2011 because the league says they want to use the event to expand the fan base in the GTA with it - well London doesn't need any fanbase or local exposure support. Just like in 2011 when Melynk BOUGHT it, Hunters BOUGHT it now. I guess owners spending money is a-ok as long as it's going in Branch's pockets.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Look people can be upset about London getting the cup again, but if you want to be upset at someone, be upset with YOUR team for not putting in a bid. Specifically the Soo, Kingston, and Guelph. When your other options for hosting are a team that got caught cheating and another that will be losing too many key players, how does London not get picked?

Look I don't like the fact that London got the cup either but it's not some sort of conspiracy. London was the best choice out of the 3 teams that bid. Now that's not to say there wouldn't have been a better choice if someone else bid, but we won't know that because only 3 teams bid.

This is really on 17 other spineless teams for not bidding.

(yes I know not all 17 others would be contendors next year or have the arena, but you get my point.)

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Or those teams chose to back out knowing that London was bidding, and saved a lot of money, time and resources.

This was all but a foregone conclusion as soon as London threw their hat into the ring. That's why there is frustration but no shock amongst fans around the league.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Look people can be upset about London getting the cup again, but if you want to be upset at someone, be upset with YOUR team for not putting in a bid. Specifically the Soo, Kingston, and Guelph. When your other options for hosting are a team that got caught cheating and another that will be losing too many key players, how does London not get picked?

Look I don't like the fact that London got the cup either but it's not some sort of conspiracy. London was the best choice out of the 3 teams that bid. Now that's not to say there wouldn't have been a better choice if someone else bid, but we won't know that because only 3 teams bid.

This is really on 17 other spineless teams for not bidding.

(yes I know not all 17 others would be contendors next year or have the arena, but you get my point.)
Blame the 17 spineless teams or the 2 stupid ones the end result is the same.

Jackman

Dec 8, 2009
On May 2nd, the London Free Press provided the following quote from Branch describing why the host announcement was delayed-

“We don't want one team to gain a psychological edge over the other in the final,†Branch said. “That's what we want to avoid. We're trying to protect the integrity of the game and our championship series.â€

But in today's London Free Press, Hunter explains that the Knights were told they would be hosting in 2014 before the final game -

The 96th edition of the Memorial Cup will take place May 16-25, 2014, at Budweiser Gardens.
“I just don’t know what to say,†Hunter said. “So much has happened. I found out just before the game when Trevor Whiffen (Knights’ governor) came in and said ‘we got it.’ It’s just been amazing.â€

So, did telling the Knights before Game 7 provide them the psychological advantage the league wanted to avoid to protect the integrity of the game?

Spitsfan67*

And now I'm officially done with this league until Branch is done, not renewing my season tickets of 15 years, and I will not be attending any games, it's a joke I mean was there any doubt? It was going to London before all three teams put there bids in. I'll cross the river and watch some games in Detroit instead or make a trip or 2 down to Montreal to watch the Habs better then wasting money on this circus of a league...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Or those teams chose to back out knowing that London was bidding, and saved a lot of money, time and resources.

This was all but a foregone conclusion as soon as London threw their hat into the ring. That's why there is frustration but no shock amongst fans around the league.

Exactly there's no reason for other teams to bid in the future. As long as London bids they will get the Memorial Cup.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
On May 2nd, the London Free Press provided the following quote from Branch describing why the host announcement was delayed-

“We don't want one team to gain a psychological edge over the other in the final,” Branch said. “That's what we want to avoid. We're trying to protect the integrity of the game and our championship series.”

But in today's London Free Press, Hunter explains that the Knights were told they would be hosting in 2014 before the final game -

The 96th edition of the Memorial Cup will take place May 16-25, 2014, at Budweiser Gardens.
“I just don’t know what to say,” Hunter said. “So much has happened. I found out just before the game when Trevor Whiffen (Knights’ governor) came in and said ‘we got it.’ It’s just been amazing.”

So, did telling the Knights before Game 7 provide them the psychological advantage the league wanted to avoid to protect the integrity of the game?

Wow... nice job Mr. Branch. Nice ****ing job. And London fans wonder why others are frustrated by this ongoing ********?

Integrity, my ass.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

“We don't want one team to gain a psychological edge over the other in the final,†Branch said. “That's what we want to avoid. We're trying to protect the integrity of the game and our championship series.â€

“I just don’t know what to say,†Hunter said. “So much has happened. I found out just before the game when Trevor Whiffen (Knights’ governor) came in and said ‘we got it.’ It’s just been amazing.â€

Hmmn. I bet that Hunter wasn't supposed to mention that. Hopefully Branch gets asked about this, because it does appear very shady.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

And who do you get upset with when your team did bid (and the Colts will be just fine next year, BTW). It's hard not be jaded today. Guess the Colts will just have to go in through the front door. Maybe next year Branch will lay off te suspensions.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
And who do you get upset with when your team did bid (and the Colts will be just fine next year, BTW). It's hard not be jaded today. Guess the Colts will just have to go in through the front door. Maybe next year Branch will lay off te suspensions.

Colts are losing their top players. Schelifle was a huge part of the team, it is near impossible to replace a player like that.

Spitsfan67*

Wow... nice job Mr. Branch. Nice ****ing job. And London fans wonder why others are frustrated by this ongoing ********?

Integrity, my ass.

Your bang on, he says he's trying to keep "integrity", I laugh every time I read it because Branch IS tearing this league apart by playing favourites and bending rules.

I mean if any one honestly thinks that the spits are the ONLY Team in the OHL to pay a player to come play I'm stunned I mean honestly London Could have Done it before with the big American names they've had threw there in the past 10 years But if they did Branch wouldn't lift a finger.

And back to integrity, how is there integrity when you give the same team the memorial cup hosting gig, 2 times in what will be 9 years? That's a slap in the face to every franchise and fan of other teams in this league, I mean it's just branch helping out his #1 team again, well I said it I'm not renewing my season tickets, I mean I love the spits and have been a die hard season ticket holder for the past 15 years but this is the final nail threw the coffin for me this league has become so corrupt over the past couple years it's stupid and I can't force myself to waste hard earn money on this league, ill just watch some games across the river in Detroit.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Colts are losing their top players. Schelifle was a huge part of the team, it is near impossible to replace a player like that.

And yet Barrie was missing Scheifele and Camara last night, and took what was the best team in the league last year, this year and supposedly next year to OT in game 7. Scheifele can be replaced.

At this point, it appears that London will have a strong team next year, NHL teams notwithstanding. Barrie and Windsor will be fine as well, and if they had been awarded the Memorial Cup, they'd have made trades to strengthen their teams.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I heard this news yesterday afternoon. Great for London fans. Seemingly a kick in the gut to the rest of the league.
Integrity- Branch did tell Mark before the game it seems, and this goes against what he said when he delayed announcements and the resaoning. Very bad optics. I wouldnt have wanted to know if Im Mark before the game. The kids had enough to think about.
BUT if I caught wind of the winning bid (see posts previous page) Im sure Mark and the Hunter clan knew as well previous to/ and with or without Branches statement. These things are hard to keep a lid on that long after the decision is made. If he didnt tell them, theyd a already known so really.....

I get the frustration, but instead of awarding the Cup to inferior bids (yes Londons was the best in the most categories and also been told by far the most professionally put together) they gave it to the best bid. If teams want it, theyll have to match or better the best bid. London raised the bar and its up to others to get there, not for the league to accept lesser pesentations, JMO.

LOndon also garaunteed the least $. But also assured the COMMITTEE (not branch) that itll make the most of the 3 groups. And he explained why. It was a direct ? during the process.

If they want to share the wealth, make it a once every 60 yrs and every team gets in queue.

Lets start in 2017 and go in alphabetic order :)

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
and yet barrie was missing scheifele and camara last night, and took what was the best team in the league last year, this year and supposedly next year to ot in game 7. Scheifele can be replaced.

At this point, it appears that london will have a strong team next year, nhl teams notwithstanding. Barrie and windsor will be fine as well, and if they had been awarded the memorial cup, they'd have made trades to strengthen their teams.

exactly!!!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
LOndon also garaunteed the least $. But also assured the COMMITTEE (not branch) that itll make the most of the 3 groups. And he explained why. It was a direct ? during the process.

This has nothing to do with the largest arena does it? Zero transparency with this committee. I will never step foot in another OHL rink ever again.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Teams can garauntee whatever they want. If the city, committee, sponsors, or team want to garuantee 10 mil they can. London wont and couldnt match it. They use what they have avail, and put their best foot forward. Yes they have a great rink, and use it to their adv. But there are ways for teams to get around that adv.

If you get a chance to hear ALL that went into the bids and look at it objectively there is more than $ involved.
It was the most profeesional and all encompassing bid, without the $, period. So they beat the other bids in potential cash, team on ice and the extras that get thrown in.
Be made at the process, I get that.

to get it so soon is toguh to swallow for many but its the process as of now. Maybe they look at 15 yr cycle where you can bid or something, i dunno the answer.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Compared to the what the Knights return, no. People can say it was the money, but I think what the Knights will be returning was the real deciding factor between the 3 teams that did put in a bid.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
II get the frustration, but instead of awarding the Cup to inferior bids (yes Londons was the best in the most categories and also been told by far the most professionally put together) they gave it to the best bid. If teams want it, theyll have to match or better the best bid. London raised the bar and its up to others to get there, not for the league to accept lesser pesentations, JMO.

No offense, but how do you know that London's bid was the best? What made it better than the other 2? In which categories did it clearly best the other bidders? Which colours scheme did London go with so Windsor and Barrie can put together a more professional package? Did London go with powerpoint, while Windsor and Barrie used outdated technology like overhear projectors?
I know that I am being a little facetious, but how can you possibly say that London was best in most categories, when most don't know what the categories are? Or comment on the professionality of the presentation, when that would be a pretty subjective opinion.

MaximSpiridonov

May 6, 2013
114 F11
No offense, but how do you know that London's bid was the best? What made it better than the other 2? In which categories did it clearly best the other bidders? Which colours scheme did London go with so Windsor and Barrie can put together a more professional package? Did London go with powerpoint, while Windsor and Barrie used outdated technology like overhear projectors?
I know that I am being a little facetious, but how can you possibly say that London was best in most categories, when most don't know what the categories are? Or comment on the professionality of the presentation, when that would be a pretty subjective opinion.

The categories are facilities, strength of team, and potential $/guaranteed $

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Zero, Boughner and the Spits never received any feedback from the committee except it was a good bid. Zero transparency in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad