2014 Memorial Cup Location

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
The categories are facilities, strength of team, and potential $/guaranteed $

Then the league needs to re-examine its criteria, because outside of strength of team and that your arena not be a dump, size of facility and $$$ should not be the reason that teams like London, Ottawa, Kitchener, Windsor, etc. should always win.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Then the league needs to re-examine its criteria, because outside of strength of team and that your arena not be a dump, size of facility and $$$ should not be the reason that teams like London, Ottawa, Kitchener, Windsor, etc. should always win.

Exactly and if you're going to make strength of team the most important criteria there's a problem in that because you're all but getting out your crystal ball to make a guess on that. What happens if Broadhurst and Griffith go to the AHL, some crap NHL team selects Horvat in the top 10 and keeps him in the NHL for the whole year. So the Knights team loses Harrington, Hughes, Broadhurst, Griffith, Horvat and they are by far the best team? Heck this team barely got by Barrie missing their 2 best forwards and this is the best returning team? Nobody knows what players are going to improve and that's the issue with that. Who's to say that Guelph doesn't have guys like Fabbri, Dickinson, and Garlent take huge leaps and dominate the league but because London got the bid you have Guelph still having to win 16 games to reach the Memorial Cup. I don't like Branch but when you have 20 owners that actually support him the blame has to go back on the owners.

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
Branch. “If any one of the other two bid proponents had the returning roster of the Knights, they would have been awarded (the event.)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Branch. “If any one of the other two bid proponents had the returning roster of the Knights, they would have been awarded (the event.)

and even the Knights never had the suspect best roster returning there would've been a different spin on the fact that london was getting the Memorial Cup regardless.

btw...I hear that Branch told Mark Hunter before last nights game that London won the bid to host........what a nice way to help pump up the Knight players even more.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
No offense, but how do you know that London's bid was the best? What made it better than the other 2? In which categories did it clearly best the other bidders? Which colours scheme did London go with so Windsor and Barrie can put together a more professional package? Did London go with powerpoint, while Windsor and Barrie used outdated technology like overhear projectors?
I know that I am being a little facetious, but how can you possibly say that London was best in most categories, when most don't know what the categories are? Or comment on the professionality of the presentation, when that would be a pretty subjective opinion.

No offense taken.
Just what I've heard. London's team did a great job, IMO based on a few different things ive heard and trust to be true.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Maybe they should re examine but again ill say Windsor, Barrie on any1 else coulda propped up the guaranteed cash if that was the issue as you elude to along with facility size. Just gotta have the city, sponsors and team work together.
Maybe 15 yr wait period would help?
London won the bid without $ bring the be all and end all. I truly believe that

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
and even the Knights never had the suspect best roster returning there would've been a different spin on the fact that london was getting the Memorial Cup regardless.

btw...I hear that Branch told Mark Hunter before last nights game that London won the bid to host........what a nice way to help pump up the Knight players even more.

People knew before just prior to lasts nights game. Wether Branch told em or not.
If I was Mark Ida kept the info outta the dressing room if possible. That news coulda gone either way. And if Barrie found out it sure would have got them pumped to stick it to Lindon.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Maybe they should re examine but again ill say Windsor, Barrie on any1 else coulda propped up the guaranteed cash if that was the issue as you elude to along with facility size. Just gotta have the city, sponsors and team work together.
Maybe 15 yr wait period would help?
London won the bid without $ bring the be all and end all. I truly believe that

But it will still gross the most revenue since they have the largest arena, correct?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Branch also said the league was holding off announcing the winning bid until after the OHL championship, but told London before Game 7 anyway. So, why should he be believed on this statement?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
But it will still gross the most revenue since they have the largest arena, correct?
Not neccessarily but it is an advantage.
But so is a rich owner, a big time local sponsor or the community itself, no? The can all contribute to the gauranteed $ without even selling a ticket. You can charge more for seats in smaller rinks, less seats, tilting supply n demand.
Lots of ways around potential # of tic sales at a bigger venue.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta

From more than one source. This is the shadiest thing I've ever heard in conjunction with the OHL. I think the league will lose supporters over this. Unfortunate really. If I still had season tickets, I'd be contemplating renewal closely. It's really coming down to an integrity issue now. I've defended Branch in the past, but in this regard he has been caught red handed favoring one team over another. Uncool.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Who needs extra motivation in a Game 7, OHL Final?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Who needs extra motivation in a Game 7, OHL Final?

The point is, the league specifically stated that any announcement would not be made until after the finals so that no team could gain an advantage. Then, Branch failed to live up to this statement and has been caught in a lie.

Branch's integrity has been forever compromised. How can anything he says in the future be trusted now? Once a liar, always a liar.

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
Actually, it wasn't Branch himself who informed Mark Hunter regarding the 2014 Memorial Cup. In fact, it wasn't anyone involved with the OHL either.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Or those teams chose to back out knowing that London was bidding, and saved a lot of money, time and resources.

This was all but a foregone conclusion as soon as London threw their hat into the ring. That's why there is frustration but no shock amongst fans around the league.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This!

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I find it comical that Kitchener and Mississauga fans are weighing in on this. Those 2 cities were awarded the Cup for the exact same reasons. What, no feigned outrage when Oshawa and Windsor were snubbed for larger money guarantees? :laugh:

How do we know that Barrie wan't informed before Game 7 as well? Missing 2 of their top players, they're the ones who seemed to be playing with the extra motivation.

As for the strength of the returning Knights team, you can't be serious? 2 time defending OHL Champs, with most of the team in their 18 or 19 y.o. season. You mentioned Guelph, they had the strength of team and facilities to match London's bid. Why didn't they bid? Or the Sault? Or Kingston?
Barrie is losing too much, and Windsor will be lucky to make the playoffs.
It's too bad they didn't give it to Oshawa in '08 and Windsor in '11, they could have awarded it to Missy or Kitchener next year.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Or those teams chose to back out knowing that London was bidding, and saved a lot of money, time and resources.

This was all but a foregone conclusion as soon as London threw their hat into the ring. That's why there is frustration but no shock amongst fans around the league.

I'm fairly certain London bid in '08 and '11 as well. Why was it not awarded to them then?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I find it comical that Kitchener and Mississauga fans are weighing in on this. Those 2 cities were awarded the Cup for the exact same reasons. What, no feigned outrage when Oshawa and Windsor were snubbed for larger money guarantees? :laugh:

How do we know that Barrie wan't informed before Game 7 as well? Missing 2 of their top players, they're the ones who seemed to be playing with the extra motivation.

As for the strength of the returning Knights team, you can't be serious? 2 time defending OHL Champs, with most of the team in their 18 or 19 y.o. season. You mentioned Guelph, they had the strength of team and facilities to match London's bid. Why didn't they bid? Or the Sault? Or Kingston?
Barrie is losing too much, and Windsor will be lucky to make the playoffs.
It's too bad they didn't give it to Oshawa in '08 and Windsor in '11, they could have awarded it to Missy or Kitchener next year.

Guelph owner already said it's a big city, big market event and they don't stand much of a chance.

If all this is true about London why wasn't it true about Windsor going into 2011? When other owners start saying it's a big money, big city event I don't think it's just sour grapes it's based on what has happened most recently. The ball is in Branch's court to prove otherwise.

2017-Ottawa, new arena renos done, 50th year of Ottawa 67s hockey, 10000 seat arena

2020-London, did a great job in 2005 and probably 2014 and will probably have a good team

2023-Kitchener, it's been 13 years since they last hosted the cup and they have recently done renovations

2026-Niagara got a new arena back in 2014-2015 nice chance to show it off

2029-London did a great job in 2005, 2014, and 2020

2032-Ottawa-Did a great job in 2017, 65th year of Ottawa 67s hockey, big arena

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Thats a great schedule. :0:)
I can get my Knights tics 2x
Love the city of Ottawa- Ill stay in market area
Ktowns close enough to drive and no prob staying a week in Niagara

Im willing to wager thou, I wont get this lucky :)

Last edited:

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I'm not so sure about London receiving the Mem Cup again within the next 9 years. This year was predictable but it will look even worse if they get it again. If a community based team like Niagara can get it for 2017, after they already move into their new arena it would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad