Injury Report: 2014-2015 Injury Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
1st ovr, sabres, mcdavid
2nd ovr, oilers, eichel
3rd ovr, yotes, strome
4th ovr, devils, crouse/marner
5th ovr, avs, hanifin

not completely unrealistic.

It is. Doubt that the Yotes would pass on Hanifin for Strome.
They will trade Yandle at the deadline / offseason and Gormley is not a good enough reason to pass on Hanifin. They might be a "viable trade up" candidate, though.

There is also no way we pick top 5 (unless lottery win+ McDavid) unless Varlys groin forces him to miss 20+ more games (and Pickard starts to suck).
Bobrovski out 4-6 weeks. Phaneuf out week-to-week.

Those teams won't win many more games than we do without EJ.
Buffalo / Edmonton are uncatchable without Berra magic. The Yotes also won't gain 13 points on us. Same for New Jersey.

Our "best case" scenario regarding the draft will be somewhere around 8 with one of Provorov/Kylington/Werenski sitting there for us.

This is also an injury thread.
Can we have a "panic - the season is over" thread?

@ Freudian:
I wonder if anyone does take bets on how long a game will take. With all those icings, the over would be a good one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There is a good chance all of Carolina, Philly, Columbus, New Jersey finish behind us and add in the ineptitude of Ottawa and Toronto. We could be 12th in west and still draft out of the top 10. Those eastern teams suck THAT much.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
it's not the end of the season, but it's not a postive news that's for sure . Sadly for us we'll probably see a lot less W without EJ in the lineup .

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Sometimes I wish I was a homeless man living in Denver. I'd camp outside Roy's house and yell at him how to operate the team. I'd probably become a Broncos fan and do the same thing for Elway.

What do you want Roy to say? He isn't going to go out there and say without EJ we're totally ****ed and we might as well give up on the season because our defense is the worst thing ever created.

He did what any good coach would do which is try to give his players confidence.

I'm sure he knows that losing EJ is a big time problem, but he isn't going to tell the world that.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What do you want Roy to say? He isn't going to go out there and say without EJ we're totally ****ed and we might as well give up on the season because our defense is the worst thing ever created.

He did what any good coach would do which is try to give his players confidence.

I'm sure he knows that losing EJ is a big time problem, but he isn't going to tell the world that.

He should have said something like "We're currently looking at all options, including using our current D or some of our prospects." I'm sure he means it when he says that he trusts his D, and that means some of the better defensive prospects are not going to get the nod they deserve.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
All these pages I've read and no mention of ROR switching to D so he can get paid like a #1 DMan?

Where's the cynicism?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He should have said something like "We're currently looking at all options, including using our current D or some of our prospects." I'm sure he means it when he says that he trusts his D, and that means some of the better defensive prospects are not going to get the nod they deserve.

He did not address the prospects because he was not asked about the prospects. #journalism

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out...I wouldn't be surprised if the ROR for Sekera/Myers/Yandle/Gardiner/whoever happens sooner than later with this, especially if a losing streak starts to happen...I'm thinking Roy is gonna be trying to stay in the race until the bitter end even if it means forcing a trade to get a D-man in there.

Though I'll enjoy the mayhem in here if that happens or somehow this duct taped together defense miraculously keeps us in the race :sarcasm:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I still have hope, for sure. Hockey's a team sport, and defensively the team hasn't been too bad so I don't think missing one player - however good that player is - will hurt the Avs defensively that much. Offensively though, this team will have a lot of trouble making rudimentary passes up the ice, especially since that aspect of the game relies a lot on individual skill.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

His statement doesn't mean that at all. They will call up a dman. They won't be without 7 D on the active roster.

I also guarantee that he will go with the guys on the current roster, if this proves to be too big a challenge for some of the guys then other players like Elliott or Noreau or Siemens will get their shot. But they won't get their shot until others in front of them have failed.

If the time comes where the playoffs are unrealistic then I fully expect we'll see the prospects get their shot, once we ship off some of the expiring contracts.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
What worries me is that Roy doesn't really tend to give the prospects/new signings a fair shot like we've seen with Redmond. It's unfortunate but guys like Elliott and Siemens aren't gonna get a handle on playing in the NHL if they're benched or sent down after 1 or 2 mistakes. I just hope Roy makes the best he can of this situation when/if the playoffs become out of reach and gives the prospects a decent shot to see what they can truly do.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still have hope, for sure. Hockey's a team sport, and defensively the team hasn't been too bad so I don't think missing one player - however good that player is - will hurt the Avs defensively that much. Offensively though, this team will have a lot of trouble making rudimentary passes up the ice, especially since that aspect of the game relies a lot on individual skill.

:amazed:

You do realize having one less very good puckmoving d-man on the roster will hurt defense (ability to secure the puck and move it out of the zone) every bit as much as it'll hurt offense, right?

And the team has been a disaster defensively. If they were getting anything less than stellar goaltending this team would be around Edmonton/Buffalo level right now.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
:amazed:

You do realize having one less very good puckmoving d-man on the roster will hurt defense (ability to secure the puck and move it out of the zone) every bit as much as it'll hurt offense, right?

And the team has been a disaster defensively. If they were getting anything less than stellar goaltending this team would be around Edmonton/Buffalo level right now.

I was envisioning defense as more shot-blocking, limiting the opposition to few/weak shots, playing a good structure in the D zone, and playing physical. Obviously puck moving helps the defensive side tremendously, I just factored that in more as an offensive aspect of the game.

And lately scores have been low, so I think Avs have done a good job limiting the opposition. Their GA are still poor, but I think Avs of this year are more offensively challenged than defensively challenged. Just based on recent games and the visual test.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was envisioning defense as more shot-blocking, limiting the opposition to few/weak shots, playing a good structure in the D zone, and playing physical. Obviously puck moving helps the defensive side tremendously, I just factored that in more as an offensive aspect of the game.

And lately scores have been low, so I think Avs have done a good job limiting the opposition. Their GA are still poor, but I think Avs of this year are more offensively challenged than defensively challenged. Just based on recent games and the visual test.

That's the thing, get the puck out of the zone quicker and you don't NEED to block so many shots. Shot blocking usually just means you never have the puck.

And obviously if you have the puck more and are able to move it faster, that means more offensive opportunities as well. And the more offensive opportunities there are, the fewer defensive plays are necessary. It's all connected.

And no, the Avs have not limited offensive opportunities. Great goaltending is just covering up for their many gaffes, turnovers, and just terrible overall defensive play. The only thing guys like Stuart and Guenin are doing well defensively is clearing the occasional rebound during the PK. This whole notion of them keeping shots to the outside is largely a myth, and even if it were 100% true, it's still not a good strategy.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
yotes are easy.

we always win dallas.

nashville is without rinne and weber struggles against speed.

minny beat us couple of time in the past: regression to mean.

red wings are done.

we have hawks #.

barrie always trolls tampa.

10+ wins is very much possible.

Optimism: Pass it on...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Elliott may get the call, but not yet. If he decides to call up a D right away it will be Stollery which im fine with since whoever that guy is wont play. He has 6 D already in teh NHL who he will play. No need of calling Elliott up and starting his 30 days waiver free before he even needs to be put in. If there's another injury or if he wants to shake things up I can see him calling Elliott up then but until that happens Elliott will be in the AHL.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
So Frei says it's the same knee EJ hurt in the golf cart accident.

A good or a bad thing I don't know.
At least both knees haven't had trouble.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Oh well, it's not like they were gonna make the playoffs with EJ anyway.

Maybe they will panic now and trade for right handed Myers? They really should just ride this season out and hope for better things next year

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
What worries me is that Roy doesn't really tend to give the prospects/new signings a fair shot like we've seen with Redmond. It's unfortunate but guys like Elliott and Siemens aren't gonna get a handle on playing in the NHL if they're benched or sent down after 1 or 2 mistakes. I just hope Roy makes the best he can of this situation when/if the playoffs become out of reach and gives the prospects a decent shot to see what they can truly do.

He is sort of doing the Detroit thing. Let the guys play in the minors for a few years. Don't jerk them up and down. Just let them develop down there.

I still don't like Dean, and I don't like that they are a veteran heavy defense on a team that sucks. If the veterans suck, what can they teach those kids, and why are they stealing their icetime.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So 1st pair is gonna be Hejda-Barrie?

That's really bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad