Injury Report: 2014-2015 Injury Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Roy has been told players are ready to go before and kept them out of back to backs or delayed their return a game. He should have done the same with Varly. A player that has had chronic issues should be treated a bit more carefully to not re-aggravate an issue, especially when that player is your franchise goalie that is signed for 4 more years. A game or two at the beginning isn't nearly as important as the long-term.

If a wide receiver has hamstring issues, you wait a bit longer to put them in the line up or don't have then run all go routes to protect it. Wait a game or two and see how they feel at each point to make sure everything is okay before going crazy.

Former players should know as much as anybody that being 110% in practice is way different than in a game. You can be fully healthy in one aspect, but not be ready to bear a load. Varly should have played one game and then been given a day or two to see how he feels. Instead he was thrown right back out there. It was the wrong decision by Roy.

Too many wrong decisions from Patrick has contributed to our laughable record.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Roy has been told players are ready to go before and kept them out of back to backs or delayed their return a game. He should have done the same with Varly. A player that has had chronic issues should be treated a bit more carefully to not re-aggravate an issue, especially when that player is your franchise goalie that is signed for 4 more years. A game or two at the beginning isn't nearly as important as the long-term.

If a wide receiver has hamstring issues, you wait a bit longer to put them in the line up or don't have then run all go routes to protect it. Wait a game or two and see how they feel at each point to make sure everything is okay before going crazy.

Former players should know as much as anybody that being 110% in practice is way different than in a game. You can be fully healthy in one aspect, but not be ready to bear a load. Varly should have played one game and then been given a day or two to see how he feels. Instead he was thrown right back out there. It was the wrong decision by Roy.

We'll agree to disagree henchy.

Varly had been practicing after being cleared to return. He was supposed to get a start and then had that pushed back. Roy was careful with him--but it was just unfortunate that he re-aggravated it.

What it sounds like you are wanting is Roy to either predict when his players are going to get injured (which he can't do) or just not start/play them when they've been cleared.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Didn't Varlamovs latest injury happen in practice a couple of days after the back to back?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What it sounds like you are wanting is Roy to either predict when his players are going to get injured (which he can't do) or just not start/play them when they've been cleared.

All I wanted, and I said it on here before Roy did it, is to ease Varly back in. So give him the 2nd night of a back to back off, and after the next 2 games give him a game off and see how he feels. If at that point he was fine, I would have had no issue with him riding Varly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know why Roy did it, he was desperate in a division game. Had they won that one and Varly had made it through then it would look like a good decision. It was a gamble, I'm fine saying that. One that obviously didn't pay off but I can understand why he did it. I'm a little worried about playing Picks 3x in 4 days especially given Aittokallio is now down for whatever reason. If something happens to Picks we are in an organization wide crisis mode that's going to ruin the seasons of 3 teams. But hey that's the way Roy rolls.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know why Roy did it, he was desperate in a division game. Had they won that one and Varly had made it through then it would look like a good decision. It was a gamble, I'm fine saying that. One that obviously didn't pay off but I can understand why he did it. I'm a little worried about playing Picks 3x in 4 days especially given Aittokallio is now down for whatever reason. If something happens to Picks we are in an organization wide crisis mode that's going to ruin the seasons of 3 teams. But hey that's the way Roy rolls.

I think it's a bit of a head scratcher regardless, even if he had made it out okay. No need to risk your franchise goalie like that when he's coming off a groin injury. If Roy was desperate for a win in a divisional game, they could have left Varly on IR and let Pickard play vs the Flames. Then send Pickard down after that game and activate Varly for the Jets game.

It's done now so it doesn't really matter. Sucks not having Varly but Pickard has been playing great, maybe even better than Varly, so it's not like that decision is costing us games.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Varly may need a full off season of rest for his groin injury to heal completely. The style he plays it will probably keep coming back all season long with only weeks of rest.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
At the end of the day, if a player is cleared, he's now an asset for the coach.

Sure, Roy could have given him the second night off but if the doc says he's good, and varly says he's good (which we don't know), then why the hell not play him?

I can't fault Roy on this one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Winnipeg might now have the injury bug worse than the Avs... Enstrom, Bogo, Trouba, and now Stuart out extended periods of time.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
Winnipeg might now have the injury bug worse than the Avs... Enstrom, Bogo, Trouba, and now Stuart out extended periods of time.

Paul Maurice is an idiot for playing his players when there's so many injuries going around.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Looks like Bordeleau is back tonight, the team's finally getting healthy. We even have 2 healthy scratches for tonight's game, Everberg and Holden.

Varlamov, Mitchell and Winchester practiced today, the first 2 being out day-to-day and Winchester is still week-to-week.

Other than that, it's just pretty much McGinn, (Street doesn't count and Wilson is done for the year).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Rick Sadowski ‏@RickS7 36s36 seconds ago
#Avs Bordeleau fractured kneecap out 8-10 weeks. #Avalanche #Blues

Yeah that is bad. TV was totally correct in being worried.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bummer. I totally didn't expect that but when the coach is already calling it a knee injury and definitely won't play tonight just doesn't sound good.

Chambers also said something stupid like oh Bordy isn't out there but probably will play on the 4th line tonight. Really now?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Chambers doesn't care about facts but he doesn't go off the deep end with opinions, unless it's about potential conflict between players. Spevak can report details but comes off like an insane blogger when he gets into his opinions. So yeah, pick your poison.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Rick Sadowski ‏@RickS7 36s36 seconds ago
#Avs Bordeleau fractured kneecap out 8-10 weeks. #Avalanche #Blues

Yeah that is bad. TV was totally correct in being worried.

Shaping up to be a lost year for Bordeleau.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Shaping up to be a lost year for Bordeleau.

Yep and I gotta say it really kinda sucks. He's an average 4th liner but man he seems to really be an awesome team-mate. He just appears to have an incredibly likeable and goofy personality. I've missed seeing him on the ice and on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad