Injury Report: 2014-2015 Injury Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Ugh... I really hope Roy is more careful this next time around.

If it is a lingering issue, I'd hope the doctors are more careful the next time around. As a coach, why would Roy have to worry about who is or is not ready to go. If the doctors give someone a clear bill of health to play they should be ready to do so. A single back to back series with as much time off as Varly has had this season shouldn't have been such a big deal. Not saying it was optimal but I don't fault Roy when the docs said Varly was good to go.

Didn't mean to necessarily single out your post henchman, but I've seen a lot of folks blaming Roy and just feel like it's not necessarily on him here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If it is a lingering issue, I'd hope the doctors are more careful the next time around. As a coach, why would Roy have to worry about who is or is not ready to go. If the doctors give someone a clear bill of health to play they should be ready to do so. A single back to back series with as much time off as Varly has had this season shouldn't have been such a big deal. Not saying it was optimal but I don't fault Roy when the docs said Varly was good to go.

IMO it was irresponsible to start Varly on a back to back after having a couple groin issues this season. Ease him back in with maybe playing every other game while having him checked out by the doctors. I haven't been on the Roy bashing bandwagon... pretty much ever, but that was a really bad decision by him. He could/should have been more careful.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah, he gave him enough extra rest at the time to feel really really ready. Maybe it shouldn't have taken this long to have a MRI but who knows. I understood his thinking of Varly gives them the best chance to win and they needed to win but going through the b2b wasn't being cautious. But if your player is healthy you play them, so I understand that thought. He shouldn't do it again though.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
IMO it was irresponsible to start Varly on a back to back after having a couple groin issues this season. Ease him back in with maybe playing every other game while having him checked out by the doctors. I haven't been on the Roy bashing bandwagon... pretty much ever, but that was a really bad decision by him. He could/should have been more careful.

I'm with e_t on this. That's a doctors call. If they are saying he was good to go then Roy should trust that. Sounds like the doctors should have just been more thorough.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm with e_t on this. That's a doctors call. If they are saying he was good to go then Roy should trust that. Sounds like the doctors should have just been more thorough.

No, the doctors don't make that final call. They advise the coach and then he has to make the decision. It's never a good idea to put a goalie in B2B nights to begin with, certainly not when they're shaking the rust off after a long time off and looked somewhat iffy the night before. But Roy painted himself into a corner when he chose not to put Reto on waivers and sent Picks down. It was a bad, bad move to keep a goalie he had zero confidence in. If by chance Berra was claimed, big effin' deal, Aittokallio, Will, and others are still in the organization. And he would've cleared easily.

Nope, I'm a big defender of Roy's but that was a huge blunder on his part. And I think he knows it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I guess Berra isn't looking that good in practice either. I would think Roy would have given him a chance if he did.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Pickard has been good, glad he gets some time over Berra. Also hope Rendulic gets a good look and an opportunity to do well here. His name alone makes a good place holder for Radulov. :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No, the doctors don't make that final call. They advise the coach and then he has to make the decision. It's never a good idea to put a goalie in B2B nights to begin with, certainly not when they're shaking the rust off after a long time off and looked somewhat iffy the night before. But Roy painted himself into a corner when he chose not to put Reto on waivers and sent Picks down. It was a bad, bad move to keep a goalie he had zero confidence in. If by chance Berra was claimed, big effin' deal, Aittokallio, Will, and others are still in the organization. And he would've cleared easily.

Nope, I'm a big defender of Roy's but that was a huge blunder on his part. And I think he knows it.

This... Roy has protected players that have been 'cleared' to go before. He should have done it here as well. Pickard should have never been sent down and he should have played the Winnipeg game. IMO it was a mistake on Roy's part.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Honestly if its going to keep flaring up all year I rather they sit Varly out and get him 100% for next season but thats me.

That's what I mean, they need to make sure that he is 100% before putting him back in. They can't just throw him back in and attempt to ride him only for his groin to explode. Roy should've handled it better with Varly back, especially with his history of injury.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Starting Varly in back to back games probably wasn't the best idea.

Yea at the time it seemed questionable. In hindsight it seems idiotic. Though it obviously wasn't healed completely so maybe it would have happened again sometimes soon regardless.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yea at the time it seemed questionable. In hindsight it seems idiotic. Though it obviously wasn't healed completely so maybe it would have happened again sometimes soon regardless.

I'm sure it would have... especially with the Varly is going to start the rest of the games this month statement. It was a really bad plan by Roy, and you just hope he learns from that mistake.

Varly should have been eased back into the lineup, and Pickard should have stayed up to allow that to happen. I said that before Varly got back, and I still stand by it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 2m2 minutes ago
UPDATE: John Mitchell has been placed on IR retroactive to Nov. 29. Dennis Everberg has been activated.

Hopefully that's just to clear a roster space and mot because Mitchell isn't improving.

It'll be good to get Everberg back though. With McGinn out too they've missed that simple forecheck and crash the net game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hopefully that's just to clear a roster space and mot because Mitchell isn't improving.

It'll be good to get Everberg back though. With McGinn out too they've missed that simple forecheck and crash the net game.

Roy said this morning that Mitchell is on track to be back against St Louis or Pittsburgh.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I guess Berra isn't looking that good in practice either. I would think Roy would have given him a chance if he did.

Where was this reported?

Have fun back to Switzerland Berra!

I don't feel like I remember talking about the IR list this much ever.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Doesn't look like it was mentioned here, but McGinn had surgery on his back. Roy said it went well, but he wouldn't be surprised if he missed the rest of the season, though they'll just see as they go.

Awfully big loss because they desperately need his style of play. They're a lot more one dimensional in their play without him. Iggy and Landy are hard nosed players when they want to, but they play more of a skill game. No one else in the top 9 is really that big bodied presence in the corners and the front of the net except Everberg. That's their style and approach about 90% of the time in the O zone. Landy and Iggy move around a lot more and try to play with the puck more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad