Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
whats the competition comparison? Either team play a tougher schedule?

I'm not going back & looking but likely North Dakota but they generally also have more talent on their roster than Bemidji State. It basically evens out in the end.

Read was also a 24 year old senior. Parks is a 22 year old senior.

Parks will be 23 in this upcoming week. They both entered college later with Read entering a year later after Parks

The margin is still big enough to where it likely doesn't matter. Read probably shouldn't have been as good as he was at this level in all honesty. The Flyers got lucky there.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Doubtful they strike lightning in a bottle again. Read also outscored Parks in college by a fair margain.

Read - 147GP 65G 76A 143PTS 0.97PPG
Parks - 136GP 40G 47A 87PTS 0.64PPG

As mentioned Read was older and Parks played against much tougher competition.
I don't know how Parks projects as an NHL player down the line. Like Read I have seen very little of him in college.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As mentioned Read was older and Parks played against much tougher competition.
I don't know how Parks projects as an NHL player down the line. Like Read I have seen very little of him in college.

I saw that & addressed both of them but I'll further it. Read was getting NHL interest in his last couple of years in college. Parks really hasn't had that going for him (he would have been free to sign with anybody this past summer). If he wasn't having the year he is currently having he probably wouldn't be in the conversation for a contract right now (I still don't think it's a slam dunk he gets an NHL contract).

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Didn't one of the major scouting agencies have really good things to say about Parks in this past offseason? I kind of remember an article where one of them said they thought parks could be a top 6 forward or something of that nature

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't one of the major scouting agencies have really good things to say about Parks in this past offseason? I kind of remember an article where one of them said they thought parks could be a top 6 forward or something of that nature

I don't recall that. I'm not even sure if he was contract worthy coming into this year.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
I'm not going back & looking but likely North Dakota but they generally also have more talent on their roster than Bemidji State. It basically evens out in the end.

Parks will be 23 in this upcoming week. They both entered college later with Read entering a year later after Parks

The margin is still big enough to where it likely doesn't matter. Read probably shouldn't have been as good as he was at this level in all honesty. The Flyers got lucky there.

Read was 1 year and nine months older than Parks when they respectively entered their senior year. I think that's a huge gap at that stage in development.

Read began his first PPG season in college as a 22 year old; Parks began his first PPG season in college (so far) as a 22 year old.

Of course, this is all relative - I have never seen Parks play. There are a few other factors to consider: Parks plays for the stronger school in a stronger division. Also consider Parks battled injuries for one year which may have hampered his development, while as far as I know Read was fairly healthy throughout is college tenure. All in all, I think the comparisons are valid (again - taken with a grain of salt - never seen Parks).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Read was 1 year and nine months older than Parks when they respectively entered their senior year. I think that's a huge gap at that stage in development.

Read began his first PPG season in college as a 22 year old; Parks began his first PPG season in college (so far) as a 22 year old.

Of course, this is all relative - I have never seen Parks play. There are a few other factors to consider: Parks plays for the stronger school in a stronger division. Also consider Parks battled injuries for one year which may have hampered his development, while as far as I know Read was fairly healthy throughout is college tenure. All in all, I think the comparisons are valid (again - taken with a grain of salt - never seen Parks).

Well I stand corrected on the age part. I still think the Read comparison is pretty generous. As a guy with even Read's profile likely isn't going to end up to be a middle of the lineup forward more times than not.

A guy like Kevin Goumas had a similar track record to Parks. He's currently playing on the Phantoms fourth line & doesn't look like he's going to be anything more than an AHL depth player at this point.

You see more of these older unheralded college players never amount to really anything more than you see a Matt Read or Dustin Penner type of impact. If Parks can just be an NHL player that's better than most fitting that type of profile.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Let's also not forget that Parks is playing with significantly better talent. Sure, Bemidji made that miracle run to the Frozen Four while Read was there, but North Dakota's roster features a ton of drafted talent, including two first rounders in the Schmaltz brothers. Not one teammate of Read's at Bemidji was a drafted prospect, and only Read has gone on to play NHL games.

I think Parks will get signed, but he's still got to prove that his numbers aren't just from being a senior a pretty talented roster (at least by NCHC standards).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mark Alt (broken hand Dec 31) in no-contact jersey but can hold stick now. Shayne Gostisbehere (knee injury Nov 7) also no-contact jersey.
Source: Bob Rotruck @BobRotruck

I would imagine both are in line for the end of the month timetable set by Hextall.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Looking forward to:

Lindblom -- Cousins -- Gordon
Leier -- Jones -- Akeson
Straka -- Goumas -- Alderson
Rosehill -- Powe -- Stortini
Hextall
Fyten

Hagg -- Alt
Manning -- Gostisbehere
Lauridsen -- Deslile
Pettersson
Flemming

Zepp
Stolarz

In a month or so... as long as Brynas can get out of the relegations zone and avoid the relegation playoffs. One point off being safe with 10 games left... if they get past Leksands Lindblom could be with the Phantoms as early as the game vs the Marlies on the 11th of March.

It would be nice if the Phantoms could make a little push and get in the playoffs... 6 points off with a game in hand.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Looking forward to:

Lindblom -- Cousins -- Gordon
Leier -- Jones -- Akeson
Straka -- Goumas -- Alderson
Rosehill -- Powe -- Stortini
Hextall
Fyten

Hagg -- Alt
Manning -- Gostisbehere
Lauridsen -- Deslile
Pettersson
Flemming

Zepp
Stolarz

In a month or so... as long as Brynas can get out of the relegations zone and avoid the relegation playoffs. One point off being safe with 10 games left... if they get past Leksands Lindblom could be with the Phantoms as early as the game vs the Marlies on the 11th of March.

It would be nice if the Phantoms could make a little push and get in the playoffs... 6 points off with a game in hand.

and if they make the playoffs:

Lindblom - Laughton - Gordon
Leier - Cousins - Akeson
Straka -Jones - Alderson
Rosehill - Powe - Stortini

Hagg - Alt
Manning - Gostisbehere
Lauridsen - Deslile
Pettersson
Flemming

Zepp
Stolarz

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Val-d'Or likely should be a first round exit in the Q as one of the final seeds in which could make Aube-Kubel potentially available for the stretch.

The other CHL prospects (Morin, Sanheim, Fazleev, & Goulbourne) likely won't be available in time.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
and if they make the playoffs:

Lindblom - Laughton - Gordon
Leier - Cousins - Akeson
Straka -Jones - Alderson
Rosehill - Powe - Stortini

Hagg - Alt
Manning - Gostisbehere
Lauridsen - Deslile
Pettersson
Flemming

Zepp
Stolarz

Yeh, that is really a pretty good AHL team.

Laughton, Cousins, Akeson and Gordon are top line quality players at AHL level.

Leier and Straka have proven to be good middle sixers already.

Alderson is inconsistent but solid.

Powe is experienced and can still play D.

Rosehill and Stortini can play at that level.

The top 4 is very good.

Hagg and Alt have proven to work very well together and can matchup vs 1st lines.

Manning is a very good AHL dman. Ghost made the league look easy in the 5 games he played.

The 3rd pair ain't bad either.

Both Zepp and Stolarz have proven to be very solid AHLers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Val-d'Or likely should be a first round exit in the Q as one of the final seeds in which could make Aube-Kubel potentially available for the stretch.

The other CHL prospects (Morin, Sanheim, Fazleev, & Goulbourne) likely won't be available in time.

So replace Alderson with NAK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad