Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Sorry, was rushing in between conference calls. I meant the WHL. That's why I put Calgary in the second point.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They all will be an upgrade on our D, that's for sure.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see Morin, Hägg and Sanheim (if not sent back) start the season on the Phantoms. In Sanheims case, I hope he puts on some more muscle in the summer. 10-15 pounds more so he becomes 200 ish. At 6'3", listed as 183 pounds, he is kinda skinny.

I really believe Ghost will start the season on the Flyers D.
That's the problem, the defense in Philly is so bad that these youngsters look like improvements and in some cases are. Who can move up will depend on who gets moved over the next three weeks and at the draft.
I can see bringing in Alt later this season when his hand is better to see if he can stick around next year. He's shown that he can play well enough in the A to be at least a third pair guy in the NHL. Morin is a tough call for starting here next fall. Both he and Ghost could start in year in LV or not depending on who gets moved. Hagg needs a bit more time in the A. No need to rush Sanheim. Unless he clearly beats out a veteran, he should probably go back for one more year.
In my imagination, by next year I see Hextall having moved out Coburn, Grossmann and Luke.
Streit/Morin
AMac/Ghost
MDZ/Alt
Schultz
Its not a great blue line but its better than what is there now.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
That's the problem, the defense in Philly is so bad that these youngsters look like improvements and in some cases are. Who can move up will depend on who gets moved over the next three weeks and at the draft.
I can see bringing in Alt later this season when his hand is better to see if he can stick around next year. He's shown that he can play well enough in the A to be at least a third pair guy in the NHL. Morin is a tough call for starting here next fall. Both he and Ghost could start in year in LV or not depending on who gets moved. Hagg needs a bit more time in the A. No need to rush Sanheim. Unless he clearly beats out a veteran, he should probably go back for one more year.
In my imagination, by next year I see Hextall having moved out Coburn, Grossmann and Luke.
Streit/Morin
AMac/Ghost
MDZ/Alt
Schultz

It truly is. I am another supporter of Alt and really hope he can push for a spot on the Flyers roster. He is still young, has size (Berube is that you?) and is a righty. If he can become a reliabe 18+ minutes defender it should be called a success.

For Morin, I hope he'll start the season on the Phantoms roster with heavy minutes on all special situations. If he holds his own, he'll be the first call-up anyway.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Streit/Morin
AMac/Ghost
MDZ/Alt
Schultz

So you believe that Shultz goes from being our top pairing Dman to sitting next season while a bunch of kids with essentially 0 experience take that spot? You're dreaming...If 2 kids make the roster next year, that's a great sign, but I would not expect Alt to ever make this team. I'd be surprised if he's even still with the Flyers organization next season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why would they get rid of Alt next season when he still has a year left on his ELC? He can be a top 4 defenseman in Allentown if nothing else.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Defense will be some combination:

Streit
Schultz
Schenn
Del Zotto
Morin
Gostisbehere

Next year, IMO.

Coburn will be moved either at the deadline or the draft, as will Grossmann.

Could also see them picking up a guy like Paul Martin or Johnny Oduya to guide some of the young guys along on the defensive side of the game.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sanheim will probably get a long look in camp much like Morin did this year. From the neck up, he's NHL ready. He just has the body of a 16 year old. Wouldn't shock me if he gets a 9 game trial run.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Defense will be some combination:

Streit
Schultz
Schenn
Del Zotto
Morin
Gostisbehere

Next year, IMO.

Coburn will be moved either at the deadline or the draft, as will Grossmann.

Could also see them picking up a guy like Paul Martin or Johnny Oduya to guide some of the young guys along on the defensive side of the game.

Agreed. Hagg seems like he will be in the AHL to start the year at least. No way sanhiem makes the team and therefore he goes back. Ghost and morin played in the NHL this year and will likely have a shot to get the spot next year. We sorely need their skillsets here.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Hopefully Sanheim can come close to what Morin did in the weight room going into his second big camp.

Don't forget that Morin's parents also own a catering company, so he was getting lots of good food to go a long with the working out. People often overlook the fact that nutrition is going to be instrumental in Sanheim adding the much needed muscle and weight to his frame.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I really don't see any of the kid defensemen making the team out of camp. It is in there best interest to get some AHL time. Even if they perform marginally better than a veteran in camp it shouldn't matter. Let them make mistakes and get there footing away from the bright lights. You can always call them up if things are clicking in the AHL. I think people are just a little too eager for change. You have to do what's best for the long run, not some October/November regular season NHL games. We have too much riding on Morin, Ghost, Hagg, etc to not give them the best chance of long run success.

We all know Hextall's opinion on the AHL. Anyone who thinks these guys will break camp with the big club are going to be dissapointed. Yes, Morin almost made it this season. But next season he will be AHL eligible. So it changes everything. Ghost missed so much time this year that you'd think he starts in LV also. But imo he probably has the best chance to crack the roster opening night if he does well after returning and shows up to camp on fire. Hagg will only be 20, and is probably not ready yet. Sanheim isn't AHL eligible. So he'll be a bit of a wild card if he can pack on some muscle. Most likely though, he is sent to juniors. Alt is someone people around here point to and say give him a chance because of his age and AHL experience. But from what I've seen he is a toolsy kid, but not near NHL ready from the neck up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Don't forget that Morin's parents also own a catering company, so he was getting lots of good food to go a long with the working out. People often overlook the fact that nutrition is going to be instrumental in Sanheim adding the much needed muscle and weight to his frame.

Well yeah they kind of go hand in hand with each other.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I really don't see any of the kid defensemen making the team out of camp. It is in there best interest to get some AHL time. Even if they perform marginally better than a veteran in camp it shouldn't matter. Let them make mistakes and get there footing away from the bright lights. You can always call them up if things are clicking in the AHL. I think people are just a little too eager for change. You have to do what's best for the long run, not some October/November regular season NHL games. We have too much riding on Morin, Ghost, Hagg, etc to not give them the best chance of long run success.

We all know Hextall's opinion on the AHL. Anyone who thinks these guys will break camp with the big club are going to be dissapointed. Yes, Morin almost made it this season. But next season he will be AHL eligible. So it changes everything. Ghost missed so much time this year that you'd think he starts in LV also. But imo he probably has the best chance to crack the roster opening night if he does well after returning and shows up to camp on fire. Hagg will only be 20, and is probably not ready yet. Sanheim isn't AHL eligible. So he'll be a bit of a wild card if he can pack on some muscle. Most likely though, he is sent to juniors. Alt is someone people around here point to and say give him a chance because of his age and AHL experience. But from what I've seen he is a toolsy kid, but not near NHL ready from the neck up.

I agree.

Sell what we can at the deadline. Then see what D we still have coming back off next year. Use 1 yrar gap guys for next year if need be...let the kids all start in the AHL.(Sanheim back to Jr). Then, once the kids prove they are too good, bring us whoever I'd playing the best...I suspect Ghost. We then have created an extra asset to trade as well. Then by the deadline, hopefully Morin and Ghost are playing full time and we sell off D again. Then the following year, Alt and Hagg should be ready and Sanheim starts in the AHL.

Now I cross my fingers.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
I think Ghost needs to be a Phantom next year. He has seven AHL games under his belt plus whatever he gets of he returns this season. Wouldn't surprise me if Morin is down there too. Hextall likes the AHL route

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So has anyone actually watched NAK this year outside of stat watching?

Not as much as Morin or Sanheim, but I've seen him a decent bit. Good skater, plays left and right wing, PKs, plays all over the PP, seems to have a nose for the puck, good hands, and good release on his shot. Val d'Or isn't a very good team, but they score a ton of goals. They are a run and gun team with some skilled players up front so he is fortunate enough to play with some quality offensive players.

The first goal he scored tonight was from a crazy angle on the PP. Almost on the goaline. Scored a similar goal the other day against Mason McDonald (though it squeaked through his arm). The assist was a really nifty play where he chipped the puck through both defenders and sprung his teammate for a goal. His second goal was a 2 on 1 that he just buried with a quick release.

I don't think he's a huge upside guy, but he looks like a really solid player. Probably a middle 6 winger, that can PK, and chip in on the 2nd PP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad