Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Phantoms score 6 unanswered to win 6-2. 6 goals on 20 shots. :laugh:

Cousins and Leier 3 point nights.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cousins and Leier have had better seasons than Straka, but I guess Hextall felt he was more NHL ready. And he's done pretty well so far in the big league.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Akeson has been pretty well used on the PK both this year and last year at AHL level... wonder why he never was tried there in the NHL. Especially this year where every tom, dick and harry got a chance on a PK unit at some point.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
Cousins and Leier have had better seasons than Straka, but I guess Hextall felt he was more NHL ready. And he's done pretty well so far in the big league.

I don't know if it's just the initial burst a young player gets when they first get called up, but he hasn't looked bad. Lets see how he does in a couple weeks if he keeps it up

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Probably because it's sink or swim time for Straka. If he can't hold up in his call up, they might move on from him.

Leier needs seasoning, and Cousins might be best left at center.

Although I do want to see Cousins at the NHL level soon. I think he could hack it

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Straka played fairly well last night; only one real gaffe. He looks tentative. If he's going to make it in the League, he's going to have to assert himself and stick his nose into the play. If he has an open shot, he needs to take it and not defer to a vet who is not as well placed for a shot. If he hits it, he'll get their respect; if he misses, he doesn't belong here.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Straka played fairly well last night; only one real gaffe. He looks tentative. If he's going to make it in the League, he's going to have to assert himself and stick his nose into the play. If he has an open shot, he needs to take it and not defer to a vet who is not as well placed for a shot. If he hits it, he'll get their respect; if he misses, he doesn't belong here.

He is no Zac Rinaldo that is for sure

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Really interesting stat that I just looked up:

Morin is averaging the most shots on goal per game among all QMJHL dmen with at least 20 games played. He's at 3.55 shots/game.

That is awesome to see.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Morin is averaging the most shots on goal per game among all QMJHL dmen with at least 20 games played. He's at 3.55 shots/game.

That is awesome to see.

He has come a long way in that regard. When I watched some games of his his draft year, his windup was so big and took so long that he needed so much time and space to even get a shot off. Now he has done a great job of becoming for effiecient with the limited time to get his shot off and is capable of getting it off all the time now. Now he just needs to not be so rushed and focus on aiming it.

With his offensive skills its hard to imagine him not impacting that part of the ice in the future.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

That is awesome to see.
He's the anti-Sanheim. When he wants to shoot he doesn't hesitate. He let's it rip. He plays a simple game in the offensive zone. He makes the simple pass or he hammers one. Doesn't force things. I think these two could be a nice match on the PP some day. Sanheim puts it right in your wheelhouse.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
It's too bad Straka got tripped on that no call breakaway, it would have been a nice opportunity for him to show off his hands. Overall he did a solid job for his first look he could still pan out as a complimentary piece. I'm sure he makes some tweaks to his focus now with the experience, hope he's gained some momentum and brings some to the Phantoms. Quicker than I thought he'd be but there's still plenty of room for him to add speed. Pretty good with the puck on his stick.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

Akeson has been pretty well used on the PK both this year and last year at AHL level... wonder why he never was tried there in the NHL. Especially this year where every tom, dick and harry got a chance on a PK unit at some point.

here's your answer

berube-1-0-jpeg.jpg

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

That is awesome to see.

Didn't Morin's coach say recently that the past couple of seasons, Morin spent extra time after practice firing off 500 one timers and that his shot had become fast and more accurate? I'll have to double check, but it was a ridiculous number anyways.

Found it and yep, 500 one timers after practice.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...o_blueliners_chris_pronger_zdeno_chara_a.html

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

I can see Straka doing better in the NHL than AHL. He could be a guy that gets more points because the product is better here and they can finish better. If he were to play all years on a line with Simmonds, he could probably get a good amount of assists.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Let cousins and leier play in the AHL so they get more ice time. Would rather Cousins get 1st line minutes in the AHL than be the 4C in philly

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
I am really excited to see Morin with the Flyers potentially next season.
Seems to have improved his offensive play, and with his long stick and mean streak he will be an exciting player to watch develop.

Also, didn't he rip a slapper through the net at one point?! Wonder how hard his slap shot is.. Would be great to have that big blast from the point

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I understand why they'd call up Straka over Cousins or Leier. They needed a winger and Cousins is best at center and Leier is only partway through his first pro season so they want to be patient with him.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
I am really excited to see Morin with the Flyers potentially next season.
Seems to have improved his offensive play, and with his long stick and mean streak he will be an exciting player to watch develop.

Also, didn't he rip a slapper through the net at one point?! Wonder how hard his slap shot is.. Would be great to have that big blast from the point

I don't think he did through the net, but he did shatter the glass behind the net when he missed

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I understand why they'd call up Straka over Cousins or Leier. They needed a winger and Cousins is best at center and Leier is only partway through his first pro season so they want to be patient with him.

Leier is also only a couple weeks removed from a shoulder injury.

Straka really looked like he could be an NHL player - really good speed and hands. Nice to see how he does at camp next year, if he doesn't get another call up this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad