Prospect Info: 2014-15 (pt. 2): Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Playoffs are the key at both the junior and AHL level, most of your future NHL players keep their game at the regular season level or even pick it up, the suspects fall off when they play better competition night after night in the playoffs and can't pad their statistics.

That was the worst thing about the AHL struggles for the Phantoms, they weren't giving prospects 10-20 playoff games to get comfortable with NHL type competition (i.e., no nights off). Even in college, you knew Ghost was for real when he became the best college player in the playoffs, taking his game a notch above everyone else.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep, I was watching every game in the beginning, but lately I've kind of lost interest since Hagg isn't really a flashy/exciting player and Ghost/Laughton are gone. I can't wait for him to get healthy again so I have a reason to watch Phantoms games, plus he's going to be a massive boost for that team in getting to the playoffs and hopefully making an impact when they're there.

Plus....they should be able to send Laughton back down if I am not mistaken. Am I right in thinking that?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Plus....they should be able to send Laughton back down if I am not mistaken. Am I right in thinking that?

I don't know, but I doubt that would happen. I'd be all for it, but I think when he get's healthy he'll probably just pop right back into the spot he was in when he left.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Hextall is a part of the WC's for Team Canada again he may try to get Laughton on the team. I think that's more of an option than him sending Laughton down a level again to play in the playoffs for the Phantoms.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think Laughton would be hurt in any way playing in the playoffs for the Phantoms for a potential playoff run. It would also allow him to be "the guy" for offense and leadership.

Plus, it creates more time with the other kids on D as well to build more chemistry which can only help going forward.

Just my thoughts.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
NAK has 15g/15a in 17 gp since a game into December. I never check him out on HS but I may have to after checking out his game log. Hopefully he's taken a step, he's been on fire for a cpl months.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, he's not above playing in the AHL again and Canada can probably find someone better than Laughton to fill out their roster. Even if they do want him, the WCs don't start until May. I don't anticipate the Phantoms going on a long run.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Laughton would be hurt in any way playing in the playoffs for the Phantoms for a potential playoff run. It would also allow him to be "the guy" for offense and leadership.

Plus, it creates more time with the other kids on D as well to build more chemistry which can only help going forward.

Just my thoughts.

Laughton very likely wouldn't want to & I can't really see the Flyers caring enough to put up a fight.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Laughton very likely wouldn't want to & I can't really see the Flyers caring enough to put up a fight.

What has Laughton done in the NHL to call his own shots?

Jamie Benn played 82 NHL games his rookie year, scored 22 goals, and when his season was over he was sent down to play in the AHL and played 24 more games through the Calder Cup finals.

Laughton's a rookie he does what the organization tells him to.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What has Laughton done in the NHL to call his own shots?

Jamie Benn played 82 NHL games his rookie year, scored 22 goals, and when his season was over he was sent down to play in the AHL and played 24 more games through the Calder Cup finals.

Laughton's a rookie he does what the organization tells him to.

Teams ask kids every year if they want to go to WJC's. I don't think its unheard of to think they may ask his opinion on the situation.

Ultimately time will tell but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get sent down.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Teams ask kids every year if they want to go to WJC's. I don't think its unheard of to think they may ask his opinion on the situation.
Not a comparable situation IMO. Whether a kid plays in the WJC or NHL he's still playing. In this case it would be continue playing or enjoy the offseason. They may ask him how he feels physically, but other than that the team is going to make the decision for him. Especially if he is out an extended period of time with this concussion, they are going to want him to try and make up for lost games.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
What happened actually to Fredric "The Mustache" Larsson? There was a time some people were very high on him. Is he still Flyers property?

No. He came over to NA, played a couple of years in the USHL, and then didn't get any scholarship offers to play in the NCAA. I'm not even sure he's playing hockey anywhere.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What happened actually to Fredric "The Mustache" Larsson? There was a time some people were very high on him. Is he still Flyers property?

He just never developed as his physical tools gave him room to. He had the potential to be a big, nasty #5 I thought... but the IQ seemingly was not there.

He came over to the USHL and was a non-factor.

He is back in Sweden now playing in the third tier as a 3rd pairing D man. He actually played for a bit with our old friend Ricard Blindstrand on a pair for a few games I gathered.

Larsson may get a shot in the Allsvenskan if his game grows more (which it should/could do) but likely never makes the SHL. I think he spends the next 5-15 years knocking around in the Swedish 3rd tier or Allsvenskan if he really wants to play hockey for a semi-decent living. But he may well be out of hockey by the time he is 25... just depends if he wants to or not.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
He just never developed as his physical tools gave him room to. He had the potential to be a big, nasty #5 I thought... but the IQ seemingly was not there.

He is back in Sweden now playing in the third tier as a 3rd pairing D man. He actually played for a bit with our old friend Ricard Blindstrand on a pair for a few games I gathered.

Larsson may get a shot in the Allsvenskan if his game grows more (which it should/could do) but likely never makes the SHL.

Dude, you're unreal. Thanks for the update.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not a comparable situation IMO. Whether a kid plays in the WJC or NHL he's still playing. In this case it would be continue playing or enjoy the offseason. They may ask him how he feels physically, but other than that the team is going to make the decision for him. Especially if he is out an extended period of time with this concussion, they are going to want him to try and make up for lost games.

I guess time will tell. The schedule's line up to where the Phantoms play four regular season games after the conclusion of the Flyers season. The Phantoms are currently four points out of the last playoff spot so they need to pick it up.

Larsson may get a shot in the Allsvenskan if his game grows more (which it should/could do) but likely never makes the SHL. I think he spends the next 5-15 years knocking around in the Swedish 3rd tier or Allsvenskan if he really wants to play hockey for a semi-decent living. But he may well be out of hockey by the time he is 25... just depends if he wants to or not.

He had some type of food allergy that made it tough to put muscle/weight on that I don't think helped matters. He was pretty slim & was always getting hurt with his style of play.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
If I remember right, Fredric Larsson had multiple major food allergies that prevented him from eating a lot of different foods, which made it so he couldn't gain much weight. I might be thinking about someone else, but I'm pretty sure it was him

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Speaking of the AHL they're finally expanding out west. The Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Flames, & Oilers will all get their farm teams out there.

Yeah, the Ducks just bought their AHL affiliate here in Norfolk. I'm not all that upset about it, but the plan is to move their AHL team out to San Diego and an ECHL team would come in to Norfolk to fill the void left behind.

It didn't really make much sense to have all of the Pacific teams with their AHL teams in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic. But they kind of got stuck out there until they could get move commitments from everyone because of the AHL travel restrictions.

It does suck for hockey in Norfolk though. Three years ago they were watching one the best teams in AHL history. Now they're just hoping some ECHL team comes to town.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, the Ducks just bought their AHL affiliate here in Norfolk. I'm not all that upset about it, but the plan is to move their AHL team out to San Diego and an ECHL team would come in to Norfolk to fill the void left behind.

It didn't really make much sense to have all of the Pacific teams with their AHL teams in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic. But they kind of got stuck out there until they could get move commitments from everyone because of the AHL travel restrictions.

It does suck for hockey in Norfolk though. Three years ago they were watching one the best teams in AHL history. Now they're just hoping some ECHL team comes to town.

I believe the Kings did the samething or at least their current AHL team is going to be replaced with an ECHL team under the same name & location.

Yeah it sucks for the fans but those GM's are happy as hell they don't have scramble with players on the other side of the country every time a situation comes up abruptly.

The Flyers didn't like being a 2 hour or so drive away from Adirondack imagine being a 6-8 hour plane ride away. :laugh:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I believe the Kings did the samething or at least their current AHL team is going to be replaced with an ECHL team under the same name & location.

Yeah it sucks for the fans but those GM's are happy as hell they don't have scramble with players on the other side of the country every time a situation comes up abruptly.

The Flyers didn't like being a 2 hour or so drive away from Adirondack imagine being a 6-8 hour plane ride away. :laugh:

Philly to Glens Falls is about 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad