2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Yeah, the dislike for them was overblown. Focusing too much on the character of 17-18 year olds isn't the best idea, IMO. Kids are immature. I know I wouldn't have wanted my career prospects hindered by my actions at 16-18. I got crucified in here before the draft for wanting DeAngelo at 31 if he was still there.

Two of the better GM's in the league (Yzerman, Bowman) weren't scared off by the perceived character issues--and in Chicago's case, they traded up for Schmaltz--and they'll probably reap the rewards at some point.

I'm still not 100% sold on DeAngelo. He has undeniable talent, but he seems to use his talent to bail him out of trouble that he shouldn't have gotten into in the first place, and he over-plays the puck for no reason. Almost like he's showing off. I'm sure good coaching can help him break his bad habits, but he's not my favorite type of player. Granted, I haven't watched him play a ton of games, so I could be completely off on this.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm still not 100% sold on DeAngelo. He has undeniable talent, but he seems to use his talent to bail him out of trouble that he shouldn't have gotten into in the first place, and he over-plays the puck for no reason. Almost like he's showing off. I'm sure good coaching can help him break his bad habits, but he's not my favorite type of player. Granted, I haven't watched him play a ton of games, so I could be completely off on this.

I have little doubt that he has plenty of areas in which he needs to improve before turning pro--as do most drafted players. I just thought the concern over the character of a 16-18 year old can go a bit far when the "do not draft" phrase is being bandied about because of what can largely be chalked up as immaturity.

In any event, my hope to get him at 31 was rendered moot when Stevie Y and Tampa picked him at 19. *shrug*

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, the dislike for them was overblown. Focusing too much on the character of 17-18 year olds isn't the best idea, IMO. Kids are immature. I know I wouldn't have wanted my career prospects hindered by my actions at 16-18. I got crucified in here before the draft for wanting DeAngelo at 31 if he was still there.

Two of the better GM's in the league (Yzerman, Bowman) weren't scared off by the perceived character issues--and in Chicago's case, they traded up for Schmaltz--and they'll probably reap the rewards at some point.

I'm not very familiar with Schmaltz's game, but DeAngelo wouldn't have been my favorite pick even if he didn't seem like a scuzzball off the ice. Undeniably has offensive talent, but he also has major, glaring weaknesses elsewhere in his game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm not very familiar with Schmaltz's game, but DeAngelo wouldn't have been my favorite pick even if he didn't seem like a scuzzball off the ice. Undeniably has offensive talent, but he also has major, glaring weaknesses elsewhere in his game.

I think we sometimes focus too much on what players cannot do rather than looking at what they can do well. We have several jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none young defensemen (e.g., Pysyk and McCabe). DeAngelo feasting on O-zone starts (by the time he arrived, I'd imagine we're a good possession team, especially if we get one of McEichel) and the PP would be a good thing.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I think we sometimes focus too much on what players cannot do rather than looking at what they can do well. We have several jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none young defensemen (e.g., Pysyk and McCabe). DeAngelo feasting on O-zone starts (by the time he arrived, I'd imagine we're a good possession team, especially if we get one of McEichel) and the PP would be a good thing.

That's a good point. He definitely could be a great PPQB

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
James Duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie 3m3 minutes ago

There are some tickets left for Canada/USA tomorrow in Montreal, if anyone is pondering making the trip.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Denmark/Switzerland just played the most entertaining game of the tournament thusfar. That was spectacular.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Meh. PPQBs who can't play top 4 defense don't really matter to a Cup picture. Either your best defensive players can run the point or they can't and you have to junk something together.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The people who wanted to defer the NYI to 2015 instead of drafting Ehlers look silly now. And yes I realize that argument is also silly given we had no control over it but it I honestly think Ehlers could be as good as Drouin.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I'm hoping the WJC has a similar effect on Reinhart that it did on Risto. He's looked great so far. If Canada wins gold and he continues to anchor that top line I can see that going a long way for his confidence (not that it was an issue for him anyways). He's just gotta put in the work in the offseason. I'm very interested to see what kind of player he'll be next year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
No One Out Yet - Wednesday, December 31 - WorldJunior2015.com

Going into the final day of the preliminary round, the battle for playoffs seeding is still tight, with no teams eliminated yet.

Group A - Canada, the United States, and Slovakia are already qualified.
Canada and the United States will battle it out for first place - loser getting second place - while Slovakia finished the group in third place.
Finland and Germany will have a head-to-head battle for fourth place and the last group berth in the quarter-finals.
The loser will have to play in the best-of-three relegation series against the bottom team of the other group.

Group B - Sweden is already the winner of the group and will play its quarter-final game against Finland or Germany.
Russia has also qualified for the quarter-finals and its final position in the group will depend on the game against the Czech Republic.
Czech Republic (vs Russia), Switzerland (vs Sweden) and Denmark (has no games remaining) will battle for the two remaining spots in the quarter-finals.

Rest Of The Article - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/no-one-out-yet/

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
World Junior Championships Schedule - Wednesday, December 31.

1:00 pm ET - Switzerland vs Sweden - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
TV/Online - (United States) - No LIVE coverage is planned for NHL Network.
(NHL Network is showing Winter Classic Practice Coverage/NHL Hockey Central - 11:30 am ET-4:00 pm ET.)
Tape Delay - Thursday, January 1 - 9:00 am ET-10:00 am ET - NHL Network.
(Canada) - LIVE - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

4:00 pm ET - Canada vs United States - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.
TV/Online - (United States) - LIVE - NHL Network - NHL.com - Replays - Wednesday, December 31 - 11:00 pm ET-1:00 am ET.
Thursday, January 1 - 10:00 am ET-11:00 am ET - NHL Network.
(Canada) - LIVE - TSN1-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.
(Pre-Game Coverage - 3:30 pm ET or when coverage of Switzerland-Sweden ends - TSN1-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO).

5:00 pm ET - Russia vs Czech Republic - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
TV/Online - (United States) - No LIVE coverage is planned for the NHL Network.
(NHL Network currently has NHL On The Fly scheduled for 7:00 pm ET-8:00 pm ET.)
Tape Delay - Thursday, January 1 - 8:00 am ET-9:00 am ET - NHL Network.
(Canada) - LIVE - TSN2 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

8:00 pm ET - Finland vs Germany - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.
TV/Online - (United States) - LIVE - NHL Network - Replays - None scheduled for NHL Network.
(Canada) - LIVE - TSN2 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
If they put Reinhart against Eichel that is going to be a great game within a game for sabre fans. I can't wait.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
There’s No Downplaying Significance Of McDavid Versus Eichel -
Mike Harrington - Buffalo News Sports Reporter - BuffaloNews.com - Wednesday, December 31.

Brossard, Quebec - In 2014, we saw a Winter Classic in front of more than 100,000 people in Michigan’s Big House, Olympic medals awarded in Sochi, an outdoor game in California and a Stanley Cup won in the double overtime drama of a Los Angeles summer night. And on the final day of the year, we will see a game between a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old that’s been talked about and hyped as much as - and maybe more than - any of the others. It’s Connor McDavid vs. Jack Eichel Wednesday afternoon at 4:00 pm ET in Montreal’s Bell Centre in a preliminary round finale of the World Junior Championships. And that’s what it is. Sorry.

It was "Downplay City" all over the Bell Sports Complex Tuesday afternoon because this is, after all, Team USA and Team Canada playing in battle of unbeatens and the right to claim the #1 seed out of pool play. But the political correctness was too much for these ears. Maybe in the medal round, particularly if there’s a rematch with a gold medal at stake Monday in Toronto, the focus will return to the teams. But for one game at least, the result will be framed in the performances of the young guns who will go #1-#2 in next June’s NHL draft.

“It’s not at all about me versus Connor,” insisted Eichel, the 18-year-old from Boston University. “It’s a huge matchup for the top seed in our bracket. It’s Canada and the United States.” “It’s there a little bit,” McDavid, the pride of the OHL’s Erie Otters, said of the focus on an individual rivalry that’s yet to have much history built. “It’s been something there for a long time now, but at the end of the day it’s the United States versus Canada, not about me versus him.” Canada coach Benoit Groulx was hardly convincing in making his case either. “It’s not Connor against Jack Eichel. Those are two guys among 44 players that will play against each other,” insisted Groulx. “”For me, it’s no big deal.”

Rest Of The Article - http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/...ignificance-of-mcdavid-versus-eichel-20141230

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Day - Wednesday, December 31 - United States vs Canada - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec - 4:00 pm ET.

TV/Online - (United States) - LIVE - NHL Network - NHL.com - Replays - Wednesday, December 31 - 11:00 pm ET-1:00 am ET.
Thursday, January 1 - 10:00 am ET-11:00 am ET - NHL Network.
(Canada) - LIVE - TSN1-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.
(Pre-Game Coverage - 3:30 pm ET or when coverage of Switzerland-Sweden ends - TSN1-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO).

Game Day Page - Wednesday, December 31 - United States vs Canada - USAHockey.com - http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_article/show/461555?referrer_id=701370

The United States takes on arch-rival Canada today in the fourth and final preliminary-round game for both teams.
Opening face-off is set for 4:00 pm ET and the game can be seen LIVE in the United States on NHL Network and will be streamed LIVE on NHL.com

At stake is the top seed in Group A. With a victory, United States will play the fourth-place finisher from Group B in quarterfinal action on Friday, January 2-5:00 pm ET.
If Canada wins today’s game, the United States will finish second in Group A and play the third-place finisher in Group B on Friday, January 2-1:00 pm ET.
Either game will be played at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.

Thatcher Demko, who plays at Boston College and hails from San Diego, California, will get the start in goal today for the United States.
He is 2-0-0-0 in the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships with a 0.48 goals against average and .978 save percentage.

Line Chart vs Canada - http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/8695/LineChartvsCanada_12_31_2014.pdf

Game Notes - United States vs Canada - http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/8693/GameNotesvsCanada.Dec31.2014.pdf

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The people who wanted to defer the NYI to 2015 instead of drafting Ehlers look silly now. And yes I realize that argument is also silly given we had no control over it but it I honestly think Ehlers could be as good as Drouin.

I also think they would've drafted Dal Colle. The few times TM took the discussion outside the Big Four, he talked about MDC and how he was the top shooter in the draft. He also fits their "bigger" mold that Tim seemingly wants to build. It certainly could've led to some "Did we screw up by drafting Dal Colle over Ehlers threads" though.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@RSandersonWHTK - Line Charts - Canada vs United States - 4:00 pm ET - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.

Canada Forward Lines - Domi-Reinhart-Duclair. Ritchie-McDavid-Lazar. Paul-Petan-Fabbri. Crouse-Gauthier-Virtanen. Extra - Point.
Canada Defence Pairings - Theodore-Nurse. Bowey -Morrissey. Hicketts-Heatherington. Extra - Morin. Goalie - Comrie.

United States Forward Lines - Motte-Eichel-Tuch. Milano-Larkin-Fasching. Wood-Matthews-Schmaltz. Louis-Compher-Hayden. Extra - de Leo.
United States Defense Pairings - Butcher-Carlo. Hanifin- McCoshen. Werenski-DeAngelo. Extra - Collins. Goalie - Demko.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

The whole point was the risk/reward element. Even the most ardent supporters of the Isles in the discussion like Zip weren't expecting them to be this successful (I don't believe) .. Eastern teams have taken a step back imo and has helped contribute to their climb.

Everyone saw them as a bubble team at best..not a conference leader. I have no problems with wanting the 2015 pick.. I think the possible rewards were to great not to take a risk.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The whole point was the risk/reward element. Even the most ardent supporters of the Isles in the discussion like Zip weren't expecting them to be this successful (I don't believe) .. Eastern teams have taken a step back imo and has helped contribute to their climb.

Everyone saw them as a bubble team at best..not a conference leader. I have no problems with wanting the 2015 pick.. I think the possible rewards were to great not to take a risk.

First, I wouldn't say that I'm an "ardent supporter of the Isles." Rather, I like to think that I saw the improvement coming before most did. I saw an average possession team with awful goaltending upgrade their goaltending and make a few nice under-the-radar signings (Grabo, Kulemin). I expected growth from their really good young players (Strome, Nelson), and I liked the way they closed last season without Tavares. I figured they were a bubble playoff team--which is where I think they'd be had they not pulled off the 11th hour trades for Boychuk and Leddy. Unfortunately, I had to spend a lot of time arguing with people who seemed to have no other argument than the 2015 pick was still going to be awesome "because they're the Islanders." All that said, it's hard to not to feel good for that fanbase, especially in the last year they're at Nassau.

Second, no, I didn't expect them to be one of the top teams in the conference. Not even close. But that's a really good team, with really good possession numbers, good goaltending, dangerous offense, etc. They need to figure out how to protect multi-goal leads, but that'll come with experience. I really hope they play the Rags in the 1st round. That'd be a fun series to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad