2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
FIN-CAN was the best game of the tournament so far, the pace was awesome. Was rooting for Finland, but I'm not gonna complain about Reinhart potting a couple. Second goal was a real nice finish, and he made the first one happen by himself.

After watching USA-SVK, and then FIN-CAN, it baffles me that Slovakia was able to beat Finland with how bad they looked against USA, and on the other hand it baffles me how Finland lost to Slovakia after how good they looked against Canada. Godla must have lived up to his name.

-Fasching, Compher, and of course Reinhart all had good games
-Eichel is so much more noticeable than McDavid from what I've seen, but that's probably due to McDavid shaking rust off from the injury
-Really like Jesse Puljujarvi. First time I've seen him play, but he kinda reminds me of Ovechkin. Not just one-dimensional, he was backchecking too. His skating could use a little work though, stride is kinda awkward

Skipped watching the Sabres game tonight to watch them. Thought to myself, WJC's only come around once a year, and the sabres lose a lot more than that per year

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Can someone refresh me on how the playoffs work?
Top 8 teams go and then is the first round within our division?

Top 4 in each group go through to the QF. Last place teams in each group play a relegation round, best of 3.

QF seeding is group crossover, top bracket 1A vs 4B / 2B vs 3A, bottom bracket 1B vs 4A / 2A vs 3B. Losers in the semis play for 3rd.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
USA vs Canada starts at 4 on Weds right? I get out of work at 4:30 and am heading downtown right away to 716 with some friends for dinner before the Sabres game. I really hope they have this on the large screen. Going to be an EPIC night!

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
The coach has a weird obsession with playing him on the 4th line even though he's probably one of the better players on the team.

Milano-Eichel-Tuch
Compher-Larkin-Fasching
Motte-Matthews-Schmaltz
Wood-De Leo-Hayden
That has made me throw ????? As well. He does not play well with those guys. Louis and Wood arguably shouldn't have even made the team. Nothing you can do about that. But I like those lines a lot.

I'm not quite sure if we have the fire power to match Canada. Hopefully our two way players will help that

Shame some of the good CHL talent and not just even Bailey lost a spot to Louis and Wood

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Was at Sweden vs. Russia, oloffson was sparingly used, mostly on the powerplay. Nylander looked good, but he's skinny... Created turnovers, and of course the Leaf crowd was gushing.

Barbashev was everywhere tonight... The straw that stirred the drink. Stood a Swede up in the first, was involved with nearly all offensive opportunities in the second and third periods. Hindsight may bite GMTM on this one.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - United States Earns 3-0 Shutout Of Slovakia - USAHockey.com - Monday, December 29.

Montreal, Quebec - Thatcher Demko (San Diego, California/Boston College) made 17 saves, and Sonny Milano (Massapequa, New York/Plymouth Whalers), Dylan Larkin (Waterford, Michigan/University of Michigan) and John Hayden (Greenwich, Connecticut/Yale University) each chipped in a goal to help the United States defeat Slovakia, 3-0 in preliminary round action today at the 2015 IIHF World Juniors Championships.

After a scoreless first period, Milano rushed up the left wing and lasered the puck into the far top corner from just above the goal line to give the United States a 1-0 lead with 2:18 left in the middle frame. Larkin picked up an assist on the play. Just 2:38 into the third stanza, Larkin shot the puck on net from the near the goal line, squeezing it past Slovak goaltender Denis Godla to make it 2-0. Hayden sealed the win with 57 seconds left in regulation when he chipped the puck in from the side of the net.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_article/show/461061?referrer_id=701370

Boxscore/Game Summary - United States 3 Slovakia 0 - Monday, December 29 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A12_74_3_0.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - United States Gets Past Slovakia - Milano, Larkin Stay Hot - Guda Stays Busy - Monday, December 29 - WorldJunior2015.com

Montreal, Quebec - With a surprisingly tough 3-0 win over Slovakia, the United States set itself up for a New Year’s Eve showdown with host Canada for first place in Group A. Sonny Milano and Dylan Larkin scored for the United States, both lighting the red lamp for the second consecutive game, and John Hayden also tallied. Adding an assist on Milano's goal, Larkin now has five points in his last two games.

Even though the Americans have won two of the last five gold medals and the Slovaks haven't medaled since 1999 (bronze), this game remained 0-0 for nearly two periods. "We had a lot of shots but nothing was really going in for the first two periods," said Milano. "It was good that we just kept going and a couple went in."

American goalie Thatcher Demko got his first career World Junior shutout versus Slovakia’s Denis Godla, who played well but made a couple of critical errors on the American goals. The Americans outshot Slovakia 45-17. "We wanted to get at least one point, but without scoring a goal, you cannot get anything," said Godla.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/usa-svk/

Game Summary/Boxscore - United States 3 Slovakia 0 - Monday, December 29 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A12_74_3_0.pdf

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Reinhart Scores Pair As Canada Remains Undefeated With Win Over Finland - Canadian Press - TSN.ca - Monday, December 29.

Montreal, Quebec - Sam Reinhart scored two goals and his linemate Anthony Duclair had another as Canada stayed perfect at the World Junior Championship with a 4-1 victory over Finland on Monday night. Curtis Lazar also scored and Max Domi had a pair of assists for Canada (3-0-0), which ends group stage play with a showdown against the United States (2-0-1) for first place on Wednesday. Montreal Canadiens prospect Artturi Lehkonen scored for Finland (0-2-1), which must beat Germany on Wednesday to advance to the quarter-finals.

"It's every line, every night, at least for the generating part of it," Reinhart said. "We were able to carry the momentum through all four lines and that's what's needed in a tournament like this."

Since their selection camp opened on December 11, Canada's coaches have stressed speed and skill on all four lines and, so far, it has worked. In a tournament opening 8-0 win over Slovakia, the Robby Fabbri-Nic Petan duo did much of the damage. In a 4-0 win over Germany, Connor McDavid had three points.

There was a clear step upward in competition against Finland, the defending champion, but even the tight-checking Finns couldn't hold off Canada's relentless attack. Canada outshot Finland 36-28. "They tighten up, but we moved the puck the best," said Reinhart. "We've got the most speed and it made it easier on entries. Against teams that trap, that's what we've been practicing."

Rest Of The Game Recap - Includes Video Highlights - http://www.tsn.ca/reinhart-scores-pair-as-canada-remains-undefeated-with-win-over-finland-1.170724

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Reinhart Rocks Finland - Canada Perfect - Top Line Records Six Points - Monday, December 29 - WorldJunior2015.com

Montreal, Quebec - Sam Reinhart’s considered one of the world’s smartest U20 forwards, showcased his savvy with two goals in Canada’s 4-1 win over Finland on Monday. The 19-year-old Buffalo Sabres prospect's line with Max Domi and Anthony Duclair has been clicking since the exhibition games, a big reason why Canada has garnered nine points at the Bell Centre so far. Duclair had a goal and an assist, while Domi added two helpers. Captain Curtis Lazar scored Canada's other goal.

"We were happy with our performance and the win," said Reinhart. "We're taking what's there and reading the play nicely."

First Period - Coach Benoit Groulx's squad got the first power play when Finnish blueliner Atte Makinen high-sticked Fredrik Gauthier behind the Finnish net, and they clicked almost immediately. Reinhart tipped Shea Theodore’s centre point drive off Saros’s left point and then tucked in his own rebound at 5:32.

Second Period -Canada opened the period with more good chances, and Saros had to be alert to deny Nick Paul on a break, as well as the ever-shifty Nic Petan. Nearing the five-minute mark, Domi waltzed into the slot and zinged one off the post. Saros beautifully came over to deny Connor McDavid’s set-up of captain Curtis Lazar on a 2-on-1. Reinhart made it 2-0 at 13:34, rushing to the net and converting a beautiful Duclair feed with a backhanded tip that sailed over Saros’s blocker.

Rest Of The Game Recap - Includes Photo Of Reinhart Tipping Puck - First Goal Of Game - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/fin-can/

Game Summary/Boxscore - Canada 4 Finland 1 - Monday, December 29 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A14_74_3_0.pdf

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
World Juniors Championships Schedule - Tuesday, December 30.

5:00 pm ET - Switzerland vs Denmark - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario -
TV/Online - (United States) - NHL Network - (Canada) - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

8:00 pm ET - Slovakia vs Germany - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec -
TV/Online - (United States) - NHL Network - (Canada) - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Was at Sweden vs. Russia, oloffson was sparingly used, mostly on the powerplay. Nylander looked good, but he's skinny... Created turnovers, and of course the Leaf crowd was gushing.

Barbashev was everywhere tonight... The straw that stirred the drink. Stood a Swede up in the first, was involved with nearly all offensive opportunities in the second and third periods. Hindsight may bite GMTM on this one.

26 other GM's passed on Barbashev, too, including a few very good ones at the end of Round 1. It wasn't just Murray.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Who is the home team for Canada-USA? The matchups will be interesting. I think the Larkin line will match up with Reinhart's line. At least that's what I'm hoping, as I selfishly want to see McDavid vs Eichel in a head-to-head matchup.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Who is the home team for Canada-USA? The matchups will be interesting. I think the Larkin line will match up with Reinhart's line.
At least that's what I'm hoping, as I selfishly want to see McDavid vs Eichel in a head-to-head matchup.

If being on the right side of the schedule (http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/games/) and wearing your dark jerseys in that game means your the home team than United States will be the home team vs Canada and get the last change. (United States was on the right side for the game vs Finland and wore their blue jerseys. United States was on the left side for the games vs Germany and Slovakia and wore their whites in both games.)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If being on the right side of the schedule (http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/games/) and wearing your dark jerseys in that game means your the home team than United States will be the home team vs Canada and get the last change. (United States was on the right side for the game vs Finland and wore their blue jerseys. United States was on the left side for the games vs Germany and Slovakia and wore their whites in both games.)

Thanks, I thought about that, too. But whites could mean home, as well. I just didn't pay attention to who had last change.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

Reinhart leads @HockeyCanada to victory, @USAHockey blanks Slovakia. @SabresProspects' #WJC2015 update: http://goo.gl/DL9eNR

Finland vs. Canada - 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship (5:21)
Sam Reinhart’s considered one of the world’s smartest U20 forwards, and he showcased his savvy with two goals in Canada’s 4-1 win over Finland on Monday.

USA vs. Slovakia - 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship (5:01)
With a surprisingly tough 3-0 win over Slovakia, the United States set itself up for a New Year’s Eve showdown with host Canada for first place in Group A.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, McDavid has been kind of coasting a bit in the periods/games I've seen. Maybe that's not the best description, but he doesn't look like he's going all out and is losing a lot of puck battles when he does get involved. I'm guessing the injury is still nagging him, but then I don't have anything to compare his play against as this is the first time I've seen him. I agree the Reinhart line has definitely been Canada's best. Domi especially stands out, but Reinhart's playmaking ability and defensive play have also been very noticeable if you are looking for them.
Would you want to play in Edmonton? :laugh:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Thanks, I thought about that, too. But whites could mean home, as well. I just didn't pay attention to who had last change.

Yeah, I just checked the schedule and it doesn't look like the color of the jerseys mean anything. Canada for example - They are listed on the left side of the schedule for the Slovakia game and wore their reds. They are listed on the right side of the schedule for the Germany game and wore their whites. Finland game - they are listed on the right side of the schedule and wore their red jerseys.

My guess being on the right side of the schedule means your the home team and aside from getting a choice of wearing what jersey, you also get the last change.

(Note - Switzerland is listed as being the home team just one game - Russia is listed as being the home team three times. Probably an error though and that their matchup on Sunday had Switzerland being the home team and Russia being the away team. That would then give each team two games being the home team and two games being the away team.)

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Far fetched but I have 2 tickets (1 for me) for tonight in Toronto... anyone want to get it? Hard to get a partner on short notice.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Who is the home team for Canada-USA? The matchups will be interesting. I think the Larkin line will match up with Reinhart's line. At least that's what I'm hoping, as I selfishly want to see McDavid vs Eichel in a head-to-head matchup.

I think that would be a good move by team USA. But I'm wondering how Canada views things. Do they want to put Reinhart's line on Eichel? Since he is obviously the USA's best forward and centers the top line. Or do they want to go after the hot hand and line in Larkin/Fasching?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
TSN Hockey ‏@TSNHockey 6m6 minutes ago

JUST IN: @HockeyCanada announces @ericcomrie1 will start in goal for Canada against the U.S. on Wednesday. #HereWeGo

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
TSN Hockey ‏@TSNHockey 6m6 minutes ago

JUST IN: @HockeyCanada announces @ericcomrie1 will start in goal for Canada against the U.S. on Wednesday. #HereWeGo

I thought Fucule would get the start. To those that follow Canada is this a surprise?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I thought Fucule would get the start. To those that follow Canada is this a surprise?

My initial reaction was a surprise but upon further thought they really don't stand to lose much if they start Comrie and he doesn't perform. Sure they won't get 1st in the group but it's not like they would be eliminated. With the victory over the Finns they probably just see this as a chance to either see if Comrie can one up Fucale or give Fucale a rest before the medal games if Comrie stumbles IMO.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My initial reaction was a surprise but upon further thought they really don't stand to lose much if they start Comrie and he doesn't perform. Sure they won't get 1st in the group but it's not like they would be eliminated. With the victory over the Finns they probably just see this as a chance to either see if Comrie can one up Fucale or give Fucale a rest before the medal games if Comrie stumbles IMO.

Good point. Hadn't thought of it like that. For some reason I was viewing this game as being more important than it actually is. In that its not an elimination game and just for seeding for the next round.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think that would be a good move by team USA. But I'm wondering how Canada views things. Do they want to put Reinhart's line on Eichel? Since he is obviously the USA's best forward and centers the top line. Or do they want to go after the hot hand and line in Larkin/Fasching?

Yeah, this is why I'm trying to figure out which team is the home team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Speaking of Americans taken in the 1st round of 2014. I'm eating crow about both DeAngelo and Schmaltz. Both have been uber impressive.

19 out of 20 games. The Oilers have lost 19 of 20. We can't match that suckage

Yeah, the dislike for them was overblown. Focusing too much on the character of 17-18 year olds isn't the best idea, IMO. Kids are immature. I know I wouldn't have wanted my career prospects hindered by my actions at 16-18. I got crucified in here before the draft for wanting DeAngelo at 31 if he was still there.

Two of the better GM's in the league (Yzerman, Bowman) weren't scared off by the perceived character issues--and in Chicago's case, they traded up for Schmaltz--and they'll probably reap the rewards at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad