GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Jones has an hamstring injury, missed the Monarchs last game. My guess is that's the reason Berube is being called up.

Interesting. Saw nothing of it from them on twitter or their site. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, Puck U, the moment our first game is announced, I expect a GDT. I miss those.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Interesting. Saw nothing of it from them on twitter or their site. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, Puck U, the moment our first game is announced, I expect a GDT. I miss those.

Mark Morris mentioned it the pre-game interview before saturday's game. Not sure when it happened though. Jones played the whole game the night before, in fact he played his best game of the year! And Morris said he planned on starting Jones that night.

It's possible it could have to do with Quick not being ready to go, but my guess it's Jones being hurt.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I'm surprised we haven't heard more about Mitchell's injury. That would be big in a bad way to have Kopitar and Mitchell miss the first part of the season.

As much as it would suck, it would give the Kings a chance to test the possible future top pairing of the team with Doughty-Martinez together for a couple of games

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.

Well ... they are A LOT of work ... but I guess I was pretty successful with them last season ...

kings_m5hjlhpd.jpg

... so if y'all really want me to do them again I maybe could ? :huh:

I could use some help from my usual suspects from during the playoffs though if they'd like to help make up some opening night Championship Banner raising img's that I could incorporate into the GDT, you know who you are. ;)

RonSwanson*

THis!

I can't wait to see a Sutter team from training camp onward. And that core, those players critical to the teams longterm success are all young and locked up for years. As black and white as I am about hockey , I really don't see many weaknesses on the team, and esp in the areas that you need studs in for Cup runs , Goalie, Dman and top 2 centers./
Other than Pittsburgh, I don't think any team can match what Kopi and Richards bring on both sides of the puck at center

If it is a 50 game season, 25 you wouild think are home games. Is that possilbe at the STaples? Isn't there a Grammy issue in Feb? Normally the 40 games home are divided among 7 mos or so. How will they fit them all in?

Prepare for a ton of afternoon games.

RonSwanson*

IF the season opens on the 19th, then it would be a matinee game IIRC given that Staples isn't available in the evening. Given that NBC/SN wanted to nationally televise the banner-raising game, and assuming that CBC will have wall to wall HNIC coverage that day as well and would likely pick that game up if a Canadian team was playing, I think Vancouver is a very good possibility.

That's a lot of "if's" though :). That assumes NBCSN would do a Saturday day game (doubleheader?) and that they'd still be interested in televising it if it was vs. Vancouver instead of another US team.

I bet they move the Clippers game earlier and give the Kings the evening game time on the 19th.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Sorry if I missed it in this thread (I only skimmed the 6 pages so far) but has it said how the AHL/CHL will handle NHL training camps, as I'm sure some players, especially those in the AHL, will be recalled for the training camp. It might not affect us as much as we have a pretty set roster, but even we will likely give looks to several players such as Toffoli, Pearson, Loki, Hickey, Muzzin, Campbell, etc.

I assume things will continue as status quo?

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I bet they move the Clippers game earlier and give the Kings the evening game time on the 19th.

I hope so. It would be pretty lame for the Stanley Cup Champion to open with a day game.

Hopefully the Clips do the classy thing and agree to the switch.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Sorry if I missed it in this thread (I only skimmed the 6 pages so far) but has it said how the AHL/CHL will handle NHL training camps, as I'm sure some players, especially those in the AHL, will be recalled for the training camp. It might not affect us as much as we have a pretty set roster, but even we will likely give looks to several players such as Toffoli, Pearson, Loki, Hickey, Muzzin, Campbell, etc.

Given that training camp will be 8 days long at most I doubt we'll see too many players called up. We will probably see Loki, maybe one or two of the defensemen but thats it.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

It'll be intersting that's for sure... Looking at the AHL schedule for the proposed start date of camp and there are 14 games 1/11 and 14 games 1/12... Chances are we might see only about 5-10 (less in most team's cases) guys from a lot of AHL rosters get called up....

br3ds0x

Dec 6, 2005
Huntington Beach
I'm bittersweet about them coming to an agreement. I had come to accept there not being a season, and wanted the owners/players to suffer through it. I am quickly getting over it and looking forward to watching some hockey again. Cannot wait to see that banner being raised.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'm bittersweet about them coming to an agreement. I had come to accept there not being a season, and wanted the owners/players to suffer through it. I am quickly getting over it and looking forward to watching some hockey again. Cannot wait to see that banner being raised.

Well they are suffering through a weeks worth of ratifications so you got that going on and anything can happen. At the very least it means that the two sides will struggle through the next several days.

Banner raising is 2nd biggest moment in Kings history and worth whatever else has to happen.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Maybe some don't have anything to do on a Saturday night? Personally, I just don't like it.

I'm not a fan either...nothing goes better with KINGS hockey than some ice cold brews...and when you start at 1pm, it makes for a long day!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Why does everyone complain about afternoon games? I ****ing hate Saturday night games.

Normally I wouldn't complain, but seeing as it is when we are (presumably) going to be raising the Stanley Cup banner, a night game for that would have been better I think.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Something I was just thinking about regarding the effects of the lockout, starting on 1/19, every team will play 90+ regular season games over the next calender year.

The Kings, for example, played 47 games before 1/19 in the 11-12 season.

Sydor25

LA Kings
Isn't it better for hockey to be played before a basketball game? Isn't the ice much worse if basketball is played first?

I fly to Vegas on the 20th, so I hope the first home game is on the 19th so that I can watch it at home.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Isn't it better for hockey to be played before a basketball game? Isn't the ice much worse if basketball is played first?

I fly to Vegas on the 20th, so I hope the first home game is on the 19th so that I can watch it at home.

Yes, plus they get 8-10 hours of prep time instead of 2.

I wouldn't be so sure. The Clippers are a hot ticket right now and basketball takes precedence over hockey.

The Lakers maybe, but the Clippers are playing the Wizards (you probably aren't a basketball fan so i'll just say it, they're awful) that day. Now if it were a nationally televised game against the Knicks, Heat, OKC etc., you might be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad