GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
is anybody else a little worried about this news that Quick is just now being cleared to play? As I recall, before the lockout he was expected to maybe miss camp but be ready for the season. Now he's just cleared to play 3 months later? Considering it's a back injury and he's a goalie, that's pretty scary to me. Hopefully, it's just a matter of the team wanting to keep him in house and under team medical supervision.

I have a feeling that's exactly what it is. He's been skating since mid-October. He would no longer have access to team resources if he had been cleared medically during the lockout.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
is anybody else a little worried about this news that Quick is just now being cleared to play? As I recall, before the lockout he was expected to maybe miss camp but be ready for the season. Now he's just cleared to play 3 months later? Considering it's a back injury and he's a goalie, that's pretty scary to me. Hopefully, it's just a matter of the team wanting to keep him in house and under team medical supervision.

He had back surgery; besides, it could give us some time to shop Bernier.

Nice to be back :)

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yeah it'd suck but not the first or last time it'll ever happen. It's his life and he's in control of it.
What if Mitchell just up and decided he wasn't playing hockey anymore and we were still on the hook for his $3.5 against the cap for another two years?

It is a big deal to walk out on a hockey team, especially when your contract continues to hurt them while you kick up your feet in Colorado. Leaving your club to launch into a mini season with $1.3 million in cap space, the least in the entire NHL...

The man had time off during the lockout. He signed for four years, and just because he got what he wanted he is going to hamstring his team from trying to go for it again? All he would have to do is sit on a bench for 80% of the season and during the possible playoffs.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
What if Mitchell just up and decided he wasn't playing hockey anymore and we were still on the hook for his $3.5 against the cap for another two years?

It is a big deal to walk out on a hockey team, especially when your contract continues to hurt them while you kick up your feet in Colorado. Leaving your club to launch into a mini season with $1.3 million in cap space, the least in the entire NHL...

The man had time off during the lockout. He signed for four years, and just because he got what he wanted he is going to hamstring his team from trying to go for it again? All he would have to do is sit on a bench for 80% of the season and during the possible playoffs.

If Mitchell does up and decide to go AWOL, Mr. Campbell...your ticket to the NHL is waiting. Hickey's development has been fantastic the last couple weeks/months...but management loves (and rightfully so to a degree) the style Campbell plays. Like with Trevor Lewis, Rich Clune, Zeiler, and Alec Martinez, they do love to reward those guys who have put in the AHL time.

Ron*

Yup, two morons who have degrees in law and I'm willing to bet are smarter than anyone else who's posted in this thread. As fans we hate it, but it's the business side of the game, in the end all sports leagues are businesses, they may look like idiots and the lockout went longer than it should of, but in the end they both work in the interest on their constituents and that's exactly what they did.

Well, if you really believe they are both smarter than you and me, much less anyone else who posts in this forum, then maybe I can do some simple math for you.

A loss of 34 games per team this season translates into about $1.5 billion in financial losses.

Just between you and me, I would have found a way to avoid that.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Well, then there's this:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHL sent out memo to teams tonight saying Jan 19 puck drop is most probable, however if ratification process goes fast, Jan 15 still in play

So **** you guys and ratify fast.

Ron*

lebrun_twitter_49669_normal.jpg

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHL sent out memo to teams tonight saying Jan 19 puck drop is most probable, however if ratification process goes fast, Jan 15 still in play

Your thread title is a bit misleading as they will be trying to rush the process to start the season on January 15.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
All 30 teams will be playing on the 19th. I'd bet money it'll be a Kings home game on the 19th at 1PM.

Argh. I hope not. The Kings should open by themselves on both Canadian and American TV. With it being a Saturday night, I won't be able to see it without NHL Centre Ice (which I really can't afford), due to CBC's exclusivity clause on Saturdays. I can only hope that they open against Edmonton or Calgary (which I get the Oilers and Flames local broadcasts). Though my preference would be for the Kings to open against the Ducks or the Canucks. I would love them to have to watch the banner raising ceremony.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
lebrun_twitter_49669_normal.jpg

Your thread title is a bit misleading as they will be trying to rush the process to start the season on January 15.

See quotes above, they will be trying to rush the start date.

Common sense dictates that there's no way they are going to have a 4 day training camp and start on 1/15. Training camp would have to start on Tuesday of next week for a 1/15 start to happen. That's not realistic. Not to mention a Saturday opening day with all 30 teams is a hell of a great way to kick off the season vs. mid-week start with a trickle of games.

Ron*

Common sense dictates that there's no way they are going to have a 4 day training camp and start on 1/15. Training camp would have to start on Tuesday of next week for a 1/15 start to happen. That's not realistic. Not to mention a Saturday opening day with all 30 teams is a hell of a great way to kick off the season vs. mid-week start with a trickle of games.

Tony, 4 days or 8 days its still too short. I am just repeating a tweet, as we have all seen, anything is possible with this bush league. (And I thought I would never have to use that term again regarding the NHL...I stand corrected.)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
So camp opens on 1/12, is that right (or what is being said?)?

1/12 with a possible start of 1/15 (likely 1/19).

So not 1/11 but 1/12.

K.

JF has been called up to Manchester.

DL IS very busy so far and it hasn't even been 24hrs yet. Its gonna be a busy week. Can't wait for the first presser.

GO KINGS GO!!!!!

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Argh. I hope not. The Kings should open by themselves on both Canadian and American TV. With it being a Saturday night, I won't be able to see it without NHL Centre Ice (which I really can't afford), due to CBC's exclusivity clause on Saturdays. I can only hope that they open against Edmonton or Calgary (which I get the Oilers and Flames local broadcasts). Though my preference would be for the Kings to open against the Ducks or the Canucks. I would love them to have to watch the banner raising ceremony.

Just watch on an illegal feed. That's what I'm doing.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Anyone think the NHL will still want LA vs NY for the banner raising game?

Impossible to have all 30 teams play on the same day without at least one east vs west game on the schedule.

Our twitter account recently asked who fans would prefer to have us play against during the banner game.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/288056499417276416

Which opponent would you most want to see us play on Opening Night? #SJ #ANA #VAN #PHX

Out of that list, I hope it is Vancouver. Make them watch. :devdance::stanley::devdance:

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Our twitter account recently asked who fans would prefer to have us play against during the banner game.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/288056499417276416

Out of that list, I hope it is Vancouver. Make them watch. :devdance::stanley::devdance:

IF the season opens on the 19th, then it would be a matinee game IIRC given that Staples isn't available in the evening. Given that NBC/SN wanted to nationally televise the banner-raising game, and assuming that CBC will have wall to wall HNIC coverage that day as well and would likely pick that game up if a Canadian team was playing, I think Vancouver is a very good possibility.

That's a lot of "if's" though :). That assumes NBCSN would do a Saturday day game (doubleheader?) and that they'd still be interested in televising it if it was vs. Vancouver instead of another US team.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I would rather watch us play the dirt dogs, watch Doan run around crying again on the bigscreen right before they lift the cup banner would be nice.

Then cap it off by a sound beating to kick off the season.

Nice.

MxH0CKEY

Aug 27, 2008
Planet Earth
Anyone think the NHL will still want LA vs NY for the banner raising game?

Impossible to have all 30 teams play on the same day without at least one east vs west game on the schedule.

I do not think there are any cross-conference games this season.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm so excited. :3 But I'm really tired right now after doing a massive room reorganization/cleanup today. X.x My hands are blistered, cut, and sore. Anyway, if we had pre-ordered tickets for the home opener, I assume they'd be honored for the new one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad