GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Alright, so let's see.

No forwards (King and Nolan being exceptions) will be called up from Manch, even with Kopitar's injury. No room.

On defense, that's where it gets interesting. The top six will surely remain the same, but there may be a spot open as the extra dman. I'd imagine Bodnarchuk, Hickey, and Drewiske all have a shot at that spot.

Also, when can teams start making transactions again? When the new CBA is signed?

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Alright, so let's see.

No forwards (King and Nolan being exceptions) will be called up from Manch, even with Kopitar's injury. No room.

On defense, that's where it gets interesting. The top six will surely remain the same, but there may be a spot open as the extra dman. I'd imagine Bodnarchuk, Hickey, and Drewiske all have a shot at that spot.

Also, when can teams start makign transactions again? When the new CBA is signed?

I think they said there won't be a presser today so nothing might come out until then. Everyone has a million questions and there is going to be a lot of craziness in the next week.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Mighta been cause the Kings were terrible last time around. That does mean you might get to see the Ducks play for cheap though:D

(ahh that felt good)

True, but the Kings don't draw well in Edmonton. I am always one of about 6 Kings fans in the building. Either way, I'd be interested is going to a cheap Oilers game against the Ducks just to taunt them.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
definitely need an insider ASAP,

so much to be sorted out,

I have a feeling camp will be very small,
not a lot of jobs to be won.

with muzzin having an underwhelming season in manch, dont think he even
gets a look for the 7th spot.

I just want to know when camp starts so i can attend.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
.@ontarioreign G JF Berube has been called up to Manchester by the #LAKings. Wonder if this means Quick won't be ready for camp?

From twitter

This can mean a number of things.

One, it's because Jones' hamstring injury is somewhat significant and he will miss some time.

Two, as you alluded to, Quick might not be ready.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
.@ontarioreign G JF Berube has been called up to Manchester by the #LAKings. Wonder if this means Quick won't be ready for camp?

From twitter

I'm thinking all this means is that the Kings intend to have a bit of a training camp and want Martin Jones spending a week (or so depending on the length of camp) under the watchful eye of the Kings staff and working with Bill Ranford, Bernier and Quickie.

For all AHL fans, I do feel for them as I expect a portion of their team will temporarily be in NHL camps. I almost wonder whether it would make sense for the AHL and ECHL to take a break and get sorted out after this? Some teams in the AHL will be hit hard by the NHL returning. I'm thinking Oklahoma City especially, since basically they were the Edmonton Oilers.

Perhaps, the other thing this might mean (and I am just speculating) is that Bernier is not coming back from Germany. I know he was unhappy with riding the pine during the regular season, Lord Stanley probably softened his stance a little. But, perhaps he decided that a hold out is worth his time, if the Kings won't trade him.

However, this could also be us making a mountain out of a mole hill. Perhaps, the backup in Manchester is hurt and the Kings have decided that Berube will benefit from being the backup in Manchester for a bit?

Edit: I haven't been following the Monarchs that closely. I had no idea Martin Jones had a hammy problem as of late.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
So glad hockey is back! Can't wait. Hopefully I will be able to find a single ticket to opening day for the banner raising on Stubhub. I tempted to call Jim Fox if need be as he actually called me the other day about something else:)

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I will always be a diehard Kings fan, but I almost feel like booing both teams when they hit the ice opening night.

What a joke this entire fiasco has been. Thank God we will never have to see Fehr's face around hockey again!!

Fehr, once again, proved why he's the collective bargaining king. Bettman and the owners got 7% extra revenue per year and little else. Very impressive showing by the Fehr brothers, as usual.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-teemu-selanne-dustin-penner-dustin-brown-kevin-westgart-lockout20130106,0,5692940.story

Ryan’s teammate in Mora, Kings center Anze Kopitar, is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday to determine the extent of the knee injury he suffered Saturday. The Kings will immediately get a copy of the test. Initial indications were that it wasn’t serious and would keep him out two to three weeks.

Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick, who underwent back surgery after the team’s Stanley Cup run, is expected to be ready for training camp.

Good news!

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
email from Kings to STH this am:

Dear xxx,

We are happy to announce that the NHL and the NHLPA have reached a tentative agreement on the framework for a new 10-year Collective Bargaining Agreement.

While we are pleased to announce this news, the deal still needs to be finalized and there are many details we are working out regarding your tickets, the new schedule, resumption of payments, ticket printing and delivery. Please let us gather this information and we will send you a more detailed email early this week.

We thank you for your support and patience, and ask that you defer any incoming inquiries until you receive this next communication. We are working diligently to compile all information that will answer most of your questions. Again, we will communicate with you as soon as we have further information.

We look forward to seeing you at STAPLES Center as the Kings raise the Stanley Cup Championship banner and begin our title defense of the 2012 Stanley Cup!

Sincerely,

Luc Robitaille
President, Business Operations
Los Angeles Kings

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Fehr, once again, proved why he's the collective bargaining king. Bettman and the owners got 7% extra revenue per year and little else. Very impressive showing by the Fehr brothers, as usual.

If nothing is the 6 and 7 year limit on contract lengths. The new variance limits that basically end the front-loaded, back-diving contracts, then yeah Fehr gave up nothing.

Had Fehr negotiated in good faith back in the summer he may have been able to get this without losing his clients a half season's pay. Yeah, Fehr he's awesome.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Looks like Visnovsky is posturing on staying in the KHL rather than reporting to the Islanders. Could mean the end of his NHL career.

The league looks different too, gotta remember that the Wild are looking to take the Pred's spot in the west, and also we have to play Jagr now within our own division. That's going to be weird.

Last edited:

Ron*

email from Kings to STH this am:

Dear xxx,

We are happy to announce that the NHL and the NHLPA have reached a tentative agreement on the framework for a new 10-year Collective Bargaining Agreement.

While we are pleased to announce this news, the deal still needs to be finalized and there are many details we are working out regarding your tickets, the new schedule, resumption of payments, ticket printing and delivery. Please let us gather this information and we will send you a more detailed email early this week.

We thank you for your support and patience, and ask that you defer any incoming inquiries until you receive this next communication. We are working diligently to compile all information that will answer most of your questions. Again, we will communicate with you as soon as we have further information.

We look forward to seeing you at STAPLES Center as the Kings raise the Stanley Cup Championship banner and begin our title defense of the 2012 Stanley Cup!

Sincerely,

Luc Robitaille
President, Business Operations
Los Angeles Kings

I didn't get that e-mail, why am I not surprised. It's going to be a cluster-****, that's for sure.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
If nothing is the 6 and 7 year limit on contract lengths. The new variance limits that basically end the front-loaded, back-diving contracts, then yeah Fehr gave up nothing.

Had Fehr negotiated in good faith back in the summer he may have been able to get this without losing his clients a half season's pay. Yeah, Fehr he's awesome.

Correction: 7 years for Unrestricted Free Agents; 8 years for your own free agents. 35% to 50% variance.

The owners claimed they were willing to die on the hill of 5 year contract lengths, I'd say that's a pretty significant win for Fehr.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Correction: 7 years for Unrestricted Free Agents; 8 years for your own free agents. 35% to 50% variance.

The owners claimed they were willing to die on the hill of 5 year contract lengths, I'd say that's a pretty significant win for Fehr.

I wouldn't since he likely could have gotten this back in October. The cap circumventing contracts that some players and agents wanted to keep so badly are history. The players lost a lot of money.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

No, "contract length was a hill to die on" not "5 year contract length was a hill to die on"

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Willie Mitchell hurt?

@reallisa
Spoke w/Dean Lombardi earlier. DL: "Willie Mitchell tweaked his knee a month ago. So we'll be able to look at him when he comes in."

Lombardi on Mitchell:"i didn't get the details.Again it's nothing serious from what we've gathered.We won't know if sure until he gets here"

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The league looks different too, gotta remember that the Wild are looking to take the Pred's spot in the west, and also we have to play Jagr now within our own division. That's going to be weird.

Wouldn't count out Nashville just yet. Wouldn't count Minnesota in just yet either.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Wouldn't count out Nashville just yet. Wouldn't count Minnesota in just yet either.

Right, but the dynamic has certainly changed. The Preds hit a lot of hurdles after the season, lost key players, had conflict internally with other key players, etc.

All while the Wild gained two key players and went a long way to solidifying their lineup without losing a single asset.

The west certainly looks different this year. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

TKFAN

Dec 3, 2006
New Hampshire
I'm thinking all this means is that the Kings intend to have a bit of a training camp and want Martin Jones spending a week (or so depending on the length of camp) under the watchful eye of the Kings staff and working with Bill Ranford, Bernier and Quickie.

For all AHL fans, I do feel for them as I expect a portion of their team will temporarily be in NHL camps. I almost wonder whether it would make sense for the AHL and ECHL to take a break and get sorted out after this? Some teams in the AHL will be hit hard by the NHL returning. I'm thinking Oklahoma City especially, since basically they were the Edmonton Oilers.

Perhaps, the other thing this might mean (and I am just speculating) is that Bernier is not coming back from Germany. I know he was unhappy with riding the pine during the regular season, Lord Stanley probably softened his stance a little. But, perhaps he decided that a hold out is worth his time, if the Kings won't trade him.

However, this could also be us making a mountain out of a mole hill. Perhaps, the backup in Manchester is hurt and the Kings have decided that Berube will benefit from being the backup in Manchester for a bit?

Edit: I haven't been following the Monarchs that closely. I had no idea Martin Jones had a hammy problem as of late.

At this point there isn't really what's called a back up goalie in Manchester.....ever since Jonesy lost 9 games in a row. Jones did win Friday night, was supposed to play Saturday night, but per Mark Morris, Jones has a hamstring injury. No indication as to how serious it is though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad