Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
The mere mention of trading Spezza is just tiresome...

As the TSN article stated earlier today:
"Since 2005-2006, Jason Spezza (2nd overall pick) has scored 545 points in 500 games, his 1.09 points per game ranking fifth, behind Sidney Crosby (1st overall pick), Evgeni Malkin (2nd overall pick), Alex Ovechkin (1st overall pick) and Joe Thornton (1st overall pick)."

So every year when we hear this discussion of trading Spezza for a top 5 pick it makes me wonder do people even realize how many top 5 picks in the last 10 years have turned into something even close to Spezza?

10 out of 50 maybe? at best at quarter of them? Its surprising there are even some people out there willing to flip a coin for a chance at replacing what we already have?

While those stats are very, very impressive, a year from now when he enters the final year of his contract what is relevant is the next 5 years in comparison to whatever his salary demands are.

R2010

May 23, 2011
While those stats are very, very impressive, a year from now when he enters the final year of his contract what is relevant is the next 5 years in comparison to whatever his salary demands are.

I understand that as well - I just don't see Spezza declining as much as some here do. I think he's a better player now than when he was scoring 90 points a season and I think that barring another back injury he could be a PPG player still at 35... His physical tools (skating, physicality) honestly don't get him his points and typically players who use their hands and hockey sense more for getting points decline points wise less than players whose skating and strength contribute. Health is a big concern though and that is why his contract demands are going to be important.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I understand that as well - I just don't see Spezza declining as much as some here do. I think he's a better player now than when he was scoring 90 points a season and I think that barring another back injury he could be a PPG player still at 35... His physical tools (skating, physicality) honestly don't get him his points and typically players who use their hands and hockey sense more for getting points decline points wise less than players whose skating and strength contribute. Health is a big concern though and that is why his contract demands are going to be important.

A lot of this is people over-reacting to his injury this year

If he has more, serious, problems next year then it's warranted, right now it's just people being scared

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
The Info above is from a swiss poster
Hmm, one of our Sens posters was saying last night in this thred that he was told from a source that Briere had chosen the Sens to play for and it was a done deal. Strange coincidence with that info from the Swiss team. Those posts seem to have have been deleted now though.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Hmm, one of our Sens posters was saying last night in this thred that he was told from a source that Briere had chosen the Sens to play for and it was a done deal. Strange coincidence with that info from the Swiss team. Those posts seem to have have been deleted now though.

It was weird, I was asking for proof through PM and mine as long with all those posts were deleted.

I think it's against the rules or something, although I haven't looked into it.

Would be sweet if Briere came here though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Totally agree, not to mention that this kind of a trade would slow down our development by like 2-5 years.

Anyone who thinks we should trade Spezza is **** and ****** with a double order of *******.

Knee jerk reaction perhaps?

I'll be honest prior to this season this is the exact reaction I had but I have thought about it.... A lot. I love Spezza, I think his natural skill set is top 5 in the NHL, he brings me out of my seat every game he plays. Lets face it part of the price of admission I justify is to see number 19.

The more I think about it the more I have started to consider it. The bolded point was also brought up by a friend of mine and it really made me consider if its the best option. What if his back goes out and this is chronic for the next 5 years? What if its no good? Maybe he doesn't have the proper work ethic to maintain a big body like his at a high level. Maybe it really starts to deplete? This is the exact age where the average persons body really starts to change. You are no long invincible because of your youth, simple injuries or discomfort lasts longer. You have to eat better, sleep more and have more of a set routine to operate at the previous level etc. (I am partially speaking about my own experience I am born in 83 too)

This is where asset management starts to come in, the Ottawa Senators know the player better then anyone. His character, his path to which has got him here so I will trust them to make the right decision. However if there are doubts this is the time to consider moving him.

After watching this years Stanley Cup playoffs I have come to the conclusion that while this Senators team is fast, exciting, youthfull and very competitive they are more then a few pieces away from winning the cup. First of all Alfie is still the best forward on the team (when Spezza's injured) and he probably has maximum one year left. Ottawa is not beating Boston or Pittsburgh next season unless there is some sort of astronomical amount of injuries to both those teams and the Sens stay unscathed. On top of having an injury miracle they need to add a major piece to the forward and the D core.

Based on this fact I just don't think this is the time to go for it. With the amount of high end talent that is under 24 years old I think that they should be aiming for a minimum 2 full seasons of development. That's when they really go for it.

That being said, will Spezza in two to three years still be playing at this level? Will he be worth the financial commitment? Sens management knows best, I think it would be silly not to even consider the concept. The concept that long term for this organization that trading him know while his value is very high might be the best move in managing assets. Hence the trade proposal I put on the main board which was absolutely ripped to shreds by both groups of fans haha.

I maybe completely wrong here, I just think there are signs that suggest moving him now maybe better in the long run.

I also don't believe in the premise this will breed losing, this team can compete without him. The majority of the core is going to be a year older and developed next season, plus the assets they retain for Spezza will help too. Lets face it they will probably get a top 6 forward and a top 3 d man for him. I don't think trading him for picks and prospects is the way to go, established young players that have room to grow is what he should be traded for.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I thought he always had a house in Ottawa...

who knows everything is speculation. I wouldnt even be surprised if he went to Pitts due to family reasons

The thing from the swiss poster is interesting though. Maybe Philly let him talk to other teams

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i am just hoping that Briere isnt out main catch this summer.....we dont know if he is declining

knowing how Ottawa works...he very well could be out only major move

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Just looking at the Senators cap situation right now, I'm intrigued.

If the Senators do sign someone like Danny Briere, than to me there's no way the Sens don't make a trade.

If we did make one, I'd be intrigued for a Smith for RD trade.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Forgive my ignorance gentlemen but I need a hockey guru to enlighten me as to the Briere situation.

Would the Flyers management not be willing to take ANY resource rather than Buying out Briere? A buy out seems to me like it should be only an option when no team offers anything, but I find it difficult to believe that teams would not have been willing to offer SOMETHING for Briere. So why Buy out when the team could recoup a resource, even if it is a midround pick or something?

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Forgive my ignorance gentlemen but I need a hockey guru to enlighten me as to the Briere situation.

Would the Flyers management not be willing to take ANY resource rather than Buying out Briere? A buy out seems to me like it should be only an option when no team offers anything, but I find it difficult to believe that teams would not have been willing to offer SOMETHING for Briere. So why Buy out when the team could recoup a resource, even if it is a midround pick or something?

I think it may have just been something as simple as giving Briere the respect he deserves by buying him out therefore allowing pretty much any team to approach him. If they traded him, then his 6.5M cap would seriously limit where he could go, now, his cap his will be much lower, allowing more teams to approach him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

no one will take that cap hit with the cap going down

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Someone on the main board posted something that I did not even consider.

Briere has a full NMC. In order to move him they would have to get his permission and if he is going to move, he isnt going to want to do it on the tail diving portion of his contract, he is going to want a new one for more money.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

besides the other theories, my guess is because he has a ntc or nmc and he'd make more money on the open market than what his actual salary would be for the last year(s) of his contract. the team and him probably agreed to just by him out so he could get more money and the flyers would get the contract off the books. the other reasons (fewer options because of the contract, he deserves to choose where he goes) works into the two parties agreeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad