Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I think Drouin has the highest offensive potential in the draft personally, but that's just me. I have a really hard time envisioning moving Spezza for any reason, but if he were going to be dealt for a high end draft pick this would be the year to do it.

That said, the only team I see as being a fit to do that kind of trade would be Nashville. Hornqvist + Josi/Blum + 1st for Spezza would be the ONLY deal and even then I'm not sure.

Then you may want to stay away from HF next summer. Spezza will be entering into his final contract year and the renegotiation window will open. We'll find out whether he wants to sign for a team-friendly extension, cash in on the UFA market, or take his talents to "The Beaches" to play for the hated TML.

Unless he signs an extension early into that window, the trade speculation will be the talk of the town. And if his contract demands are too rich, we would be better off trading him at the 2014 draft instead of signing him to a huge contract that he wouldn't be able to live up to with future declining production.

I'm not saying that he will be traded. The point is that I can envision a few scenarios where trading him would be the preferable, long term outcome.

Regardless, I do think that Spezza will be a declining asset before the Sens are Cup contenders. And to be more specific, Spezza will be on his next contract when that happens. IMHO.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Murray has stated a few times he is going after a top 6 forward. I dont think that has anything to do with the draft

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Then you may want to stay away from HF next summer. Spezza will be entering into his final contract year and the renegotiation window will open. We'll find out whether he wants to sign for a team-friendly extension, cash in on the UFA market, or take his talents to "The Beaches" to play for the hated TML.

Unless he signs an extension early into that window, the trade speculation will be the talk of the town. And if his contract demands are too rich, we would be better off trading him at the 2014 draft instead of signing him to a huge contract that he wouldn't be able to live up to with future declining production.

I'm not saying that he will be traded. The point is that I can envision a few scenarios where trading him would be the preferable, long term outcome.

Regardless, I do think that Spezza will be a declining asset before the Sens are Cup contenders. And to be more specific, Spezza will be on his next contract when that happens. IMHO.

Imo it's all gonna fall on whether Spezza can stay healthy.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Did any captains leave their teams this offseason? Any from Canadian teams? Yes and yes.

He hasn't gotten to be captain yet though. Would probably be his only chance in his NHL career. You can't just throw that away saying it wont matter. It may not, but I think it will matter, quite a bit.

Iginla didn't move during the offseason, he was moved to try and win a cup at the end of his career. Much different situation. If Spez was 38, I'd agree that he would leave, but he isn't.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza has also already talked about his respect for Alfie and how awesome it is that he has only played for one team his entire career. I believe he also said that he'd like to do the same thing.

I for one would love to see him retire a Sen. Guy has always been underrated, but love him or not he helped bring us to our only SCF and was part of one of the most dominant lines in NHL history. Incredibly talented and loyal to our team.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Spezza may never even end up captain. They could give it to EK after Alfie retires.

Iginla had no intention of re-signing with the team so he was traded at the deadline. It is no different

Of course Spezza's not going to say anything that would indicate that he wants out. And I'm not saying that he does. The comments don't necessarily reflect his private feelings.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Spezza may never even end up captain. They could give it to EK after Alfie retires.

Iginla had no intention of re-signing with the team so he was traded at the deadline. It is no different

Of course Spezza's not going to say anything that would indicate that he wants out. And I'm not saying that he does. The comments don't necessarily reflect his private feelings.

That's why I said 'IF' he was being groomed as next captain.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Karlsson wont get it. He is too young with a team with vetrans

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

It's all speculation at this point. No one can say for sure who will be the next captain.

Also depends if Alfie returns for another season. Karlsson I think would be too young still next season, but who knows about the season after. Maturity grows faster in some people then others. EK is already insanely mature for his age.

Hattrick Swayzie*

It's all speculation at this point. No one can say for sure who will be the next captain.

Also depends if Alfie returns for another season. Karlsson I think would be too young still next season, but who knows about the season after. Maturity grows faster in some people then others. EK is already insanely mature for his age.

yeah except for tweeting pictures whilst drunk

it's spezza's team

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
it doesnt matter if it is speculation or not it is Spezza or Phillips team (probably Spezza).

Hell I am pretty sure Neil gets the A now before Karlsson

It is just how it is.

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa

He certainly isn't too young. Toews, Vinny, yzerman, Crosby, landeskog, all younger than him when they got the "C" and the Sens certainly aren't a team full of Veterans, the exact opposite actually.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
So if Alfie plays 2 more years, EK gets 2 more Norris trophies, and Spezza is a UFA does the captaincy still go to Spezza? And is EK still too "immature" ;-)

Hattrick Swayzie*

it's not speculation. The Captaincy's is Spezza's after Alfie retires. Period.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He certainly isn't too young. Toews, Vinny, yzerman, Crosby, landeskog, all younger than him when they got the "C" and the Sens certainly aren't a team full of Veterans, the exact opposite actually.

a lot of those teams didnt have a player like Spezza though. Top line center has been in the organization all his career and only now hit 30. If we traded Spezza and we were rebuilding then ya it could be Karlsson but Spezza is part of the core

It is Spezza or phillips team...i dont understand how this is really a debate.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
So if Alfie plays 2 more years, EK gets 2 more Norris trophies, and Spezza is a UFA does the captaincy still go to Spezza? And is EK still too "immature" ;-)

You mean is Spezza is in his UFA year? Yes he will still get the C.... Karlsson will get his turn just like how Spezza had to wait

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
a lot of those teams didnt have a player like Spezza though. Top line center has been in the organization all his career and only now hit 30. If we traded Spezza and we were rebuilding then ya it could be Karlsson but Spezza is part of the core

A bigger part of the core is Karlsson. I'm not suggesting at all that he will be the next captain. I have no idea what either player is like in the room or how they are respected by their teammates. I'm simply pointing out that 65 isn't too young, and that if spezza doesn't have the leadership ability, then I could easily see 65 being the next guy in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad