Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Nothing really, but it's all down hill from here for Spezz, someone will need to take his place eventually.

Spezza still has a couple years of prime left (and more as a #1 Centre), and when he is replaced why not use the best of Turris/Zib/Pageau. Spezza would still be able to be effective on the 2nd line for the last couple years of his career. (Like Alfie)

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Spezza still has a couple years of prime left, and when he is replaced why not use the best of Turris/Zib/Pageau. Spezza would still be able to be effective on the 2nd line for the last couple years of his career. (Like Alfie)

Doubt Spezza will still produce like a 1st liner past 35. Ideally he'd be traded right before his decline to maximize his value, and ideally the Sens would have someone who could immediately step in and fill the void at that time (Monahan).

To me Monahan won't be a top 6 forward for another 3-4 years and 1st liner for 5-6 years. Fits perfectly along the lines of Spezza's decline.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Doubt Spezza will still produce like a 1st liner past 35. Ideally he'd be traded right before his decline to maximize his value, and ideally the Sens would have someone who could immediately step in and fill the void at that time (Monahan).

To me Monahan won't be a top 6 forward for another 3-4 years and 1st liner for 5-6 years. Fits perfectly along the lines of Spezza's decline.

So what Turris/Zib/Pageau will all get better, and can move up in the line up. At the same time Spezza will still have value and can play a lesser role on a team he knows and loves (think Alfie, and Phillips). Spezza will never be traded. Not to mention if we take Monahan where will we get a top 6 winger?

WhiteLight*

So what Turris/Zib/Pageau will all get better, and can move up in the line up. At the same time Spezza will still have value and can play a lesser role on a team he knows and loves (think Alfie, and Phillips). Spezza will never be traded. Not to mention if we take Monahan where will we get a top 6 winger?

Problem is none of Turris, Zib and Pageau, as much as I like them, are even close to guaranteed 1st liners. Zib has the potential but it's obviously not guaranteed. Add a guy like Monahan there's a very good chance at least one will be a 1st liner.

The Sens have more quantity and quality winger prospects than centre prospects outside the NHL.

Othello*

What prospects are you guys most excited about? For me its shane prince

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Spezza's not gonna be traded, unless he wants to, he earned the right to play here if he wants to. his play won't drop to third line calibre or something if it does, im sure he will rather hang the skates then keep playing. Martin St Louis is playing like a first liner at 38 years into his life. I honestly believe the future of our number 1c is not a concern untill the future

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Do you guys expect Pageau to be on the opening night roster?

Well, we seem to have too many NHL forwards on the roster at the moment, so there exists the possibility that Pageau starts the season in Bingo because he is waiver exempt.

10 forwards: Spezza, Michalek, Turris, Smith, Neil, Greening, Condra, O'Brien, Kassian and Alfredsson (if he comes back for another year) are all on (or will be on, when they sign) one-way contracts

The guys who are waiver exempt who for sure aren't going back to the AHL are: Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Conacher

... so that's like 13 forwards right there without even considering Pageau. Add to that the fact that Murray has heavily hinted that Hoffman will probably be on the team in some capacity next year, and that Mark Stone could conceivably make the Sens next year, and you start to see the problem. If we don't make a quantity-for-quality trade before the season starts, Pageau's contract and waiver exemption will probably keep him in Bingo to start the year, despite the fact that skill-wise, he's ahead of guys who might make the team in October.

I think the better question is do we think that Pageau will be on the roster by the end of the season, not the beginning of it. And the answer to that, at least for me, is "yes".

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Getting a centre in the draft over a winger wouldn't hurt us. Look at Boston. A lot of natural centres can play the wing if necessary and do a pretty good job there. Guys like Giroux and Tavares have played wing out of necessity before and excelled. You can never have too many centres IMO.

With that said if we're moving up for a home-run pick I'd like to get Drouin. :P

Although realistically if we could move up into the top 6 that would be ideal. I think anyone picked there will end up being a star for their team. Can't remember a top 6 this deep before -- Mac, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Elias and Monahan...even Nichuskin is a wildcard because he's extremely talented despite all the negativity coming from the combine.

That said probably not much info about Murray/MacT, but I could see some kind of deal being made there that would benefit both teams. I posted it before, and I know it didn't get a lot of love from the Sens, but a Cowen + Smith/something for their 1st and MPS is something that was thrown around that seemed pretty fair and opens up a lot of options for Ottawa.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

prince, noesen, ceci, maidens, puempel, robinson (as in, if they were playing in an nhl game, i'd be running to my tv)

i'd be very disappointed if one of those first 3 was traded before we get a good look at them

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
In terms of the highly-regarded prospects, Stefan Noesen is going to be so much fun to watch.

In terms of lesser-appreciated guys, I'll be really excited if Derek Grant ever cracks an NHL lineup.
Guys, we're not getting Monahan. Stop fantasizing.
Okay, cool. So I guess we should also stop talking about everyone except our own pick, since he's the only guy we'll be getting. A guy whose name we don't know yet. So we should just stop talking draft entirely.
Well, we seem to have too many NHL forwards on the roster at the moment, so there exists the possibility that Pageau starts the season in Bingo because he is waiver exempt.

10 forwards: Spezza, Michalek, Turris, Smith, Neil, Greening, Condra, O'Brien, Kassian and Alfredsson (if he comes back for another year) are all on (or will be on, when they sign) one-way contracts

The guys who are waiver exempt who for sure aren't going back to the AHL are: Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Conacher

... so that's like 13 forwards right there without even considering Pageau. Add to that the fact that Murray has heavily hinted that Hoffman will probably be on the team in some capacity next year, and that Mark Stone could conceivably make the Sens next year, and you start to see the problem. If we don't make a quantity-for-quality trade before the season starts, Pageau's contract and waiver exemption will probably keep him in Bingo to start the year, despite the fact that skill-wise, he's ahead of guys who might make the team in October.

I think the better question is do we think that Pageau will be on the roster by the end of the season, not the beginning of it. And the answer to that, at least for me, is "yes".
Your overarching point is bang-on, but I wonder if O'Brien would really crack the roster. Even if he's on a one-way, management showed absolutely no confidence in him down the stretch. I have a hard time believing he'll be on the opening night roster.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If management truly had no confidence in JOB they'd buy him out

We know someone he knew passed away near the end of the season, if it was someone he was very close to and since we clearly did not absolutely need him the team might have been ok with giving him an extended leave

I still think he's a great fourth line centreman

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
In terms of the highly-regarded prospects, Stefan Noesen is going to be so much fun to watch.

In terms of lesser-appreciated guys, I'll be really excited if Derek Grant ever cracks an NHL lineup.

Okay, cool. So I guess we should also stop talking about everyone except our own pick, since he's the only guy we'll be getting. A guy whose name we don't know yet. So we should just stop talking draft entirely.

Your overarching point is bang-on, but I wonder if O'Brien would really crack the roster. Even if he's on a one-way, management showed absolutely no confidence in him down the stretch. I have a hard time believing he'll be on the opening night roster.

That what I was alluding to last night. Maybe they have already struck a deal.... I think Edmonton is a good fit for him.

There bottom line could use a JOB.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yeah, I agree, but he's technically on a 1-way deal, so I felt I had to at least include him on the list. If he's on the opening-day roster, it'll be as a healthy scratch.

Meh. Even if they thought he was done as a Sen, someone might take him on waivers, and waiving him would save Euge a couple hundred thou. Doubt they'd buy him out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
A route I can see Murray going is focusing on trading up in this year's draft and getting a top 3 forward.

Then possibly letting things continue on the defensive ends as they are and if we need the help, he'll make a trade for a top 3 defender in Decemberish like he normally makes his early trades.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

It is difficult to project these things because everyone is different, but this may be the best comparable for Spezza:

Joe Nieuwendyk had back problems for much of his career. Played quite a few shortened (65-ish game) seasons. But still played until he was 39 and was damn near a PPG at 38yo (0.86 = 56 pts in 65 gp).

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?894

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
How far up the draft could Ottawa move if they added to their #17 pick JOB, Da Costa, & Conacher???

Would that be enough for the Sens to get a top 6 player???

Anybody know what JOB did to get in the dog house and never come out of it???????

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How far up the draft could Ottawa move if they added to their #17 pick JOB, Da Costa, & Conacher???

Would that be enough for the Sens to get a top 6 player???

Anybody know what JOB did to get in the dog house and never come out of it???????

Considering Conacher could very well be a top 6 player, i think thats more than enough for a top 6.

SilverRed

Jan 19, 2011

We know someone he knew passed away near the end of the season, if it was someone he was very close to and since we clearly did not absolutely need him the team might have been ok with giving him an extended leave

I still think he's a great fourth line centreman

He was partying his ass off in the Market during the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad