Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If we get a high profile player, at least one of Michalek/Turris/Phillips will have to go the other way.
And, if Alfie comes back, he's that impact player. As infuriating as it is, I get the sense that unless management makes an extremely compelling case, ownership is going to keep riding out this cheap roster as long as they can. Right now, getting to rnd 2 with a cap floor payroll seems to be the way they want to go. Mindset will have to shift mightily if Murray is going to have any flexibility, as it seems ownership is budgeting well below 50mil. This is not speculation, btw.

EDIT: Also, Spezza almost certainly won't get dealt. If he is, it will be for a similar skilled C making far less money. So, extremely unlikely. This part -> is total speculation on my part, but the one deal I can see is Spezza + 17th for Top 4 Pick + Roster Player

R2010

May 23, 2011
If we get a high profile player, at least one of Michalek/Turris/Phillips will have to go the other way.
And, if Alfie comes back, he's that impact player. As infuriating as it is, I get the sense that unless management makes an extremely compelling case, ownership is going to keep riding out this cheap roster as long as they can. Right now, getting to rnd 2 with a cap floor payroll seems to be the way they want to go. Mindset will have to shift mightily if Murray is going to have any flexibility, as it seems ownership is budgeting well below 50mil. This is not speculation, btw.

EDIT: Also, Spezza almost certainly won't get dealt. If he is, it will be for a similar skilled C making far less money. So, extremely unlikely. This part -> is total speculation on my part, but the one deal I can see is Spezza + 17th for Top 4 Pick + Roster Player

Like who?

And secondly
Jason Spezza is what you would dream a top 5 pick turns into... the lack of appreciation he gets is stunning

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Like who?

And secondly
Jason Spezza is what you would dream a top 5 pick turns into... the lack of appreciation he gets is stunning

My point was more that he won't likely get dealt. It would need to be a Toews, Giroux, etc, i.e someone we could never get. Only reason I can maybe see Spezza getting dealt for a high pick is that we might need to shed salary, and Barkov and Mac both look like they should be #1Cs. Mackinnon imo is the only player in this draft with offensive potential that could rival Spezza.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
My point was more that he won't likely get dealt. It would need to be a Toews, Giroux, etc, i.e someone we could never get. Only reason I can maybe see Spezza getting dealt for a high pick is that we might need to shed salary, and Barkov and Mac both look like they should be #1Cs. Mackinnon imo is the only player in this draft with offensive potential that could rival Spezza.

why do we need to shed salary again? we're at $43.5M, Condra/Weircioch are our only RFAs, we have the 6th most cap space, and half the teams below us (STL, NJD, WPG) have a plethora of big name RFA/UFAs to re-sign so i'm guessing by Sept 1, we'll have the 3rd or 4th most cap space.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
why do we need to shed salary again? we're at $43.5M, Condra/Weircioch are our only RFAs, we have the 6th most cap space, and half the teams below us (STL, NJD, WPG) have a plethora of big name RFA/UFAs to re-sign so i'm guessing by Sept 1, we'll have the 3rd or 4th most cap space.

Ownership wants to be a few mil below 50. If we need to resign Alfie at say, 4 mil, resign our RFAs, ideally add a D and/or F... As I have said several times, though, there's not a real chance Spezza is traded, but if we could get a similar player for much cheaper (i.e Yashin for Spezza trade) thats something I personally think we would consider.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I think Drouin has the highest offensive potential in the draft personally, but that's just me. I have a really hard time envisioning moving Spezza for any reason, but if he were going to be dealt for a high end draft pick this would be the year to do it.

That said, the only team I see as being a fit to do that kind of trade would be Nashville. Hornqvist + Josi/Blum + 1st for Spezza would be the ONLY deal and even then I'm not sure.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Your whole post is speculation.

Hattrick Swayzie*

With Briere in the fold next year, this is how the lineup looks

Michalek-Spezza-Briere
Zibanejad-Turris-Silfverberg
Conacher-Smith-Neil
Greening-Pageau-Condra

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think Drouin has the highest offensive potential in the draft personally, but that's just me. I have a really hard time envisioning moving Spezza for any reason, but if he were going to be dealt for a high end draft pick this would be the year to do it.

That said, the only team I see as being a fit to do that kind of trade would be Nashville. Hornqvist + Josi/Blum + 1st for Spezza would be the ONLY deal and even then I'm not sure.

Yeah I think Drouin can score as much but the fact that he's not a C made me preclude him. Just like Mack has the only skillset that I think rivals Spezza, Drouin is the only one with a skillset that rivals Datsyuk and Kane, and that includes NHL players as well.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Your whole post is speculation.

No, no its not. Danishh has confirmed me in the past as having insider access. This is directly from the mouth of someone pretty high up in the organization. In fact, I have an exact number that Murray has been told he has to work with, I know exactly what he's asking for and on what basis he is asking for it. I'm not going to post all of that publicly obviously, but everything I say is framed in that knowledge.

Only speculation was about specific players... like if we add a 6 million dollar player, we will need to ship off someone making 3+ mil.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
No, no its not. Danishh has confirmed me in the past as having insider access. This is directly from the mouth of someone pretty high up in the organization. In fact, I have an exact number that Murray has been told he has to work with, I know exactly what he's asking for and on what basis he is asking for it. I'm not going to post all of that publicly obviously, but everything I say is framed in that knowledge.

Only speculation was about specific players... like if we add a 6 million dollar player, we will need to ship off someone making 3+ mil.

Idk if you've heard the same but my source really really thinks there's a big chance Murray moves the 1st to acquire a proven scorer. Just feelin out my source still to see how legit he is, so if you've heard anything I'll feel better about him :laugh:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Idk if you've heard the same but my source really really thinks there's a big chance Murray moves the 1st to acquire a proven scorer. Just feelin out my source still to see how legit he is, so if you've heard anything I'll feel better about him :laugh:

I dont usually get too much info like that, much more big picture stuff. I do know Murray has spent a lot of time trying for Ryan, but apparently he's being offered all around the league. 100% chance he's dealt. I can say that there absolutely have been discussion around moving the 1st, be it for a top 12 pick or a sniper.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I dont usually get too much info like that, much more big picture stuff. I do know Murray has spent a lot of time trying for Ryan, but apparently he's being offered all around the league. 100% chance he's dealt. I can say that there absolutely have been discussion around moving the 1st, be it for a top 12 pick or a sniper.

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Tryin to figure out how legit he is before I post things on here, don't want to get people's hope up if it's all ******** lol

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Thanks man, appreciate it!

Tryin to figure out how legit he is before I post things on here, don't want to get people's hope up if it's all ******** lol

Yeah I feel ya. I personally dont trust anything thats not directly from the organization

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Yeah I think Drouin can score as much but the fact that he's not a C made me preclude him. Just like Mack has the only skillset that I think rivals Spezza, Drouin is the only one with a skillset that rivals Datsyuk and Kane, and that includes NHL players as well.

Didn't Drouin play center the 2nd half of the season while MacKinnon was injured/back from injury?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So we do have an extremely tight internal cap then

I guess that means no Cammalleri then

That's pretty damn depressing (the budget constraints, not the Cammalleri bit!)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'll never believe the source mumbo jumbo until someone explicitly makes a prediction that comes true. Even just one of those wouldn't be enough, it can always be a coincidence or something that was highly likely in the first place. E.g. Trading Ryan.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A guy like Cammalleri you might be able to get Calgary to swallow some of his contract.

Yep, especially given that it's only one more year and they're rebuilding. They get assets for him and keep some of his cap hit while they're not competing.

Cammalleri would look so good with Spezza...or Turris really.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A guy like Cammalleri you might be able to get Calgary to swallow some of his contract.

True but you have to think that some other team will make an offer that doesn't have the Flames retaining salary which would be much more attractive

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
True but you have to think that some other team will make an offer that doesn't have the Flames retaining salary which would be much more attractive

Depends on the return obviously. Plus like Cujomi said, it's only 1 season and keeping some of his salary might help them reach the cap floor easier then having to go out and get a Tim Thomas like the Islanders did.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Damn I hope they do something. We have some nice players that could potentially break out but if true it doesn't sound like we're in it to win it. Seems like we're just calling the big blind, limping in and hoping we hit something by the river.

Although there's some great prospect that might be great NHLers there too so there arguments to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad