2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I see Clarkson's agent has been chatting up with the media today. Let the UFA year overhype begin.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We should be able to get Poni for less than Tallinder. Unless that guy up in Winnipeg is a lot tougher to crack than Rutherford.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Ponikarovsky does not have a lot of value. I say a 4th rounder can get him, I asked a Jet fan a few weeks ago he only asked for a 5th rounder.

Its a damn shame he didnt re-sign. Our system made him a really solid player, he disappoints anywhere else he goes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Forget Ponikarovsky, if we're giving up assets, let's just go for Burmistrov. He's had an awful start to the season.

We don't have a lot of assets to give up, at least in terms of draft picks since we're already out two picks (3rd-Zidlicky, 5th-Loiktonov) this year, and they can't realistically trade their first and go two straight years without a #1.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did Lou want Poni back or not? If he did, but Poni walked I can't blame him. Would we have re signed him if he waited? We've seen examples of guys who Lou had no interest in bringing back. With the loss of Parise I thought for sure Lou would have wanted him back had he still been available.

I think of Sykora, but it's too different of a circumstance. Sykora didn't have anything left in the tank come playoff time.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Checked out ESPN's power rankings for fun. Lebrun has Pete as his Jack Adams winner right now.

He damn well better be in the conversation.
Otherwise, enough with the "devils are going to miss the playoffs" hackery from the same writers over and over.

Give credit where credit is due, the man's a phenomenal coach.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
I'd be more than happy to have Poni back but I do think he is a bit overrated around here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd be more than happy to have Poni back but I do think he is a bit overrated around here.

I agree to a point, you can get players 'like' Poni at every trade deadline, doesn't have to be him. He gets overrated because he was gangbusters when he first got here, then his only points in the playoffs were all seemingly on OT goals. He didn't have a lot of production in the playoffs offensively but made his production count at least.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

I don't think overrated is fair. He fit the team and the system really really well. A lot of people were complaining about his production in the playoffs despite him having a point on literally every OT goal we scored. He was one of those guys that seemingly had more value for this team than any other, and he's proving that in Winnipeg right now.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
He was a big body who did well in the system, cycled well and could move between the 2nd and 3rd lines pretty seamlessly.

He eased perfectly into the system... and I'm sure there's another guy out there. But that seems to be 1 of 2 missing cogs from the lineup right now, so he'll always be the first name to pop back up in that regard.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I would definitely take Poni back for a 4th. That's near enough for free.

He fits well and can replace Zubrus, who could be out for some time.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Iginla will retire with the Flames. He could pull an Olli Jokinen though, and get traded at the deadline. Then re sign with the Flames in the Summer. That's what Olli Jokinen did when they traded him to the Rangers that year. They missed the playoffs anyway,. The Jokinen re signed with the Flames that Summer.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
We don't have a lot of assets to give up, at least in terms of draft picks since we're already out two picks (3rd-Zidlicky, 5th-Loiktonov) this year, and they can't realistically trade their first and go two straight years without a #1.

I don't mind giving up picks too much, especially when it's for younger players. We'd be lucky to come close to getting someone like Loktionov with our 5th rounder this season so that's not a loss in my eyes, and I see Burmistrov the same way. I'd gladly give like Tallinder, Urbom, and a 2nd for him. He's another guy who I think would really benefit from some structure.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Checked out ESPN's power rankings for fun. Lebrun has Pete as his Jack Adams winner right now.

If the Devils win the division, I see no scenario where he isn't a finalist at the absolute minimum. In all likelihood, the winner of the Atlantic should be a 1 or 2 seed in the East. Finish in what should presumably be top 5 or 6 in the league at worst (depending on how stacked the West ends up being at the top) after everyone wrote the team off for losing Parise... I can't see how he doesn't get at least that far. Depending on who comes on top of other divisions, I could see how he might not win it unfortunately.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I am terrified of the losing streak that is bound to hit this team at some point. The possession numbers (while I don't put HUGE stock in them) are just too middling to expect domination like this (especially of top teams) to continue. I'm really high on this team, but there's always gonna be a time when the cold streaks align perfectly and things don't go well for awhile.

I'd rather it be sooner than later, but I can't wait to see this board if/when it happens. :sarcasm:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I am terrified of the losing streak that is bound to hit this team at some point. The possession numbers (while I don't put HUGE stock in them) are just too middling to expect domination like this (especially of top teams) to continue. I'm really high on this team, but there's always gonna be a time when the cold streaks align perfectly and things don't go well for awhile.

I'd rather it be sooner than later, but I can't wait to see this board if/when it happens. :sarcasm:

I just wanna beat the Canes man. I have a conniption every time we come out flat against these ****ers.

The world renowned hockey insider posted some blog about how we're talking with the Kings. The names brought up were Penner/Gagne on their side, and Greene, and Tedenby on ours. This guy is never right, and I would trust Eklund over him!:laugh:

We should be able to get Penner for Tallinder. With the way the Kings fans were talking about Penner on here, and the fact he's been a healthy scratch a lot. Would make good trade partners though if both teams stay successful. We don't have to wait for a team to have a fire sale.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Screen_Shot_2013-02-08_at_12.18.30_PM.png

Hahaha, saw this one just today :laugh:

apice3*

Its a damn shame he didnt re-sign. Our system made him a really solid player, he disappoints anywhere else he goes.

I don't think it was our system. I think it was our success.

He played nearly 550 games for Toronto and Carolina combined. It's hard to wake up in the morning when you know you're more than likely going to lose.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
The fact that they said he would need a second opinion on the severity of the issue was not encouraging last week. I won't be surprised with what happens with Zubie, could return in the postseason Zajac style for all we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad