2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Anyone notice that after Matteau scored he seemed so much more calm and like he was seeing the game better.

There were a couple times instead of passing the puck right when he got it or just dumping it behind the net he took his time a little more then he would have in the past and looked around and made the right choice.

Just something i noticed maybe he was doing it along and i just picked up on it after his goal.

Just seemed more confident and calm after that goal.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So when Zubrus comes back can we try this....

Matteau-Zajac-Kovy
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Zubrus-Josefson-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Anyone notice that after Matteau scored he seemed so much more calm and like he was seeing the game better.

There were a couple times instead of passing the puck right when he got it or just dumping it behind the net he took his time a little more then he would have in the past and looked around and made the right choice.

Just something i noticed maybe he was doing it along and i just picked up on it after his goal.

Just seemed more confident and calm after that goal.

It's possible. Sometimes after scoring his first, a player grips the stick a little less tight, and the nerves go away. Hope it's the first of many more for him as a Devil.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
So i have a question regarding our Carter - Gionta - Bernier line; why are so many people on this board so convinced that they're eventually going to return to being our 4th line rather than our 3rd line?

As far as i see it, they are as good as any 3rd line in the league and absolutely deserve to be playing 3rd line minutes. What do most teams look for in a 3rd line? A shutdown line to match against the top line of the opposition, and that's exactly what CGB does. Without fail every game they come to play, the give 100% on every shift and play with incredible intensity and passion. Individually they might not be the most impressive players in the world, but as a unit i have complete faith in them to play against any line in this league; they have one of the meanest forechecks/cycles i have ever seen and consistently pin much more skilled opposition in their own zone for the entire length of their shift. They literally outplay their opponents with sheer determination and will, it seems as though half the time when the team is playing poorly and looks flat it is these guys who chip in an incredible shift and get the ball rolling again.

I came into the season thinking they'd never repeat their playoff success and that it was just the result of them playing for contracts and the added thrill of a Stanley cup run that did it. But i'm totally sold now, those guys are a legitimate NHL 3rd line and deserve 3rd line minutes regardless of who is playing on our 4th line. I know it seems weird that an AHL call-up in Gionta and a couple of waiver pickups in Carter and Bernier have created a line that good, but the more i think about it the more i'm not really that surprised.

Gionta hadn't gotten a chance in the NHL prior to last season, and seeing him succeed is no surprise to me purely because of the hard work and heart that he plays with; he doesn't let his small stature diminish his game in any way and plays a surprisingly physical game in spite of it. He never stops skating, is incredibly quick with good hockey sense and is an absolute beast on the penalty kill. He's absolutely a third liner in my eyes.

Bernier always seemed to struggle because of the lofty expectations placed on him due to his draft position, but he seems an absolutely perfect fit for this team. His expectations here are simply to be a role player and contribute to our physical presence; a role he's exceeded in since joining the team. He'll probably never live up to the expectations placed on him as a 1st round pick, but the guy is a legitimate 3rd line power forward. His hands are getting better and he's been rewarded with power play time, he's great at winning puck battles and getting in front of the net and in my mind has been improving steadily since we picked him up last year.

Lastly Carter, despite being a relatively unspectacular player; seems to have really embraced his role here as an energy player who can create the odd play and just plays an incredible consistent game. He rarely seems to make mistakes, he's solid defensively, good offensively on the cycle, plays a physical game and every now and then like the other two will contribute on the score sheet too. He's not as fast as Gionta or as strong as Bernier, but he compliments the two perfectly and has no glaring weaknesses to his game.

I get that other people, like me, probably expected these guys to be nothing more than expendable 4th liners that would be lucky to stick around for more than a season or two; especially given their careers before joining the Devils. But i'm totally sold now, yes they might not contribute as much on the score sheet as other third lines, but the things they contribute off of it are much more invaluable to our team in my opinion. I can't say there is another third line in this league that i'd rather have over them at this point, they consistently seem to be the catalyst in good things happening on the ice, and despite playing against some damn good opposition rarely ever seem to be scored on.

Just my two cents anyway, i just see people penciling them in as the 4th line and discussing how we need to add another forward or two to push these guys down, when in my mind they absolutely deserve and indeed NEED to be playing third line minutes for our team. Sure i'd like to be able to roll four lines as well, and our forward depth is improving; but i'm not convinced that these guys are suddenly going to see their minutes and role diminished even if we acquire another skilled forward when we inevitably ship out our surplus defenceman.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This line gets outshout almost every game. They're playing with heart and exceed expectations but they shouldn't face top lines like a 3rd line usually does. Also a guy like Mike Richards centers the Kings 3rd line. If you want to be consistent, you need depth. It's not a shame to be on the 4th line.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell
Mattias Tedenby didn't play in Albany again last night. Lamoriello said a few days back he was out because of soreness but he doesn't have any reported injury and didn't have any problems in New Jersey so I'm starting to get skeptical.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So i have a question regarding our Carter - Gionta - Bernier line; why are so many people on this board so convinced that they're eventually going to return to being our 4th line rather than our 3rd line?

As far as i see it, they are as good as any 3rd line in the league and absolutely deserve to be playing 3rd line minutes. What do most teams look for in a 3rd line? A shutdown line to match against the top line of the opposition, and that's exactly what CGB does. Without fail every game they come to play, the give 100% on every shift and play with incredible intensity and passion. Individually they might not be the most impressive players in the world, but as a unit i have complete faith in them to play against any line in this league; they have one of the meanest forechecks/cycles i have ever seen and consistently pin much more skilled opposition in their own zone for the entire length of their shift. They literally outplay their opponents with sheer determination and will, it seems as though half the time when the team is playing poorly and looks flat it is these guys who chip in an incredible shift and get the ball rolling again.

I came into the season thinking they'd never repeat their playoff success and that it was just the result of them playing for contracts and the added thrill of a Stanley cup run that did it. But i'm totally sold now, those guys are a legitimate NHL 3rd line and deserve 3rd line minutes regardless of who is playing on our 4th line. I know it seems weird that an AHL call-up in Gionta and a couple of waiver pickups in Carter and Bernier have created a line that good, but the more i think about it the more i'm not really that surprised.

Gionta hadn't gotten a chance in the NHL prior to last season, and seeing him succeed is no surprise to me purely because of the hard work and heart that he plays with; he doesn't let his small stature diminish his game in any way and plays a surprisingly physical game in spite of it. He never stops skating, is incredibly quick with good hockey sense and is an absolute beast on the penalty kill. He's absolutely a third liner in my eyes.

Bernier always seemed to struggle because of the lofty expectations placed on him due to his draft position, but he seems an absolutely perfect fit for this team. His expectations here are simply to be a role player and contribute to our physical presence; a role he's exceeded in since joining the team. He'll probably never live up to the expectations placed on him as a 1st round pick, but the guy is a legitimate 3rd line power forward. His hands are getting better and he's been rewarded with power play time, he's great at winning puck battles and getting in front of the net and in my mind has been improving steadily since we picked him up last year.

Lastly Carter, despite being a relatively unspectacular player; seems to have really embraced his role here as an energy player who can create the odd play and just plays an incredible consistent game. He rarely seems to make mistakes, he's solid defensively, good offensively on the cycle, plays a physical game and every now and then like the other two will contribute on the score sheet too. He's not as fast as Gionta or as strong as Bernier, but he compliments the two perfectly and has no glaring weaknesses to his game.

I get that other people, like me, probably expected these guys to be nothing more than expendable 4th liners that would be lucky to stick around for more than a season or two; especially given their careers before joining the Devils. But i'm totally sold now, yes they might not contribute as much on the score sheet as other third lines, but the things they contribute off of it are much more invaluable to our team in my opinion. I can't say there is another third line in this league that i'd rather have over them at this point, they consistently seem to be the catalyst in good things happening on the ice, and despite playing against some damn good opposition rarely ever seem to be scored on.

Just my two cents anyway, i just see people penciling them in as the 4th line and discussing how we need to add another forward or two to push these guys down, when in my mind they absolutely deserve and indeed NEED to be playing third line minutes for our team. Sure i'd like to be able to roll four lines as well, and our forward depth is improving; but i'm not convinced that these guys are suddenly going to see their minutes and role diminished even if we acquire another skilled forward when we inevitably ship out our surplus defenceman.

They are smart and reliable in all zones, but like people said, they get outshot and pinned in their end pretty often. It's nt bad because they are all solid and keep it simple in their own zone, but them as a fourth line is much better and they will be a ton more effective going up against weaker opponents and defenses.

It's not a knock on them, but I'd rather see Zubrus-JJ-Butler be the eventual third line, while Bernier plays PP and Gionta contributes on the PK and Carter see PK shift every once in a while. It's like the Boston fourth line. I'm sure any one of those guys can play third line minutes, hell they'd be a third line on a good majority of teams, but as a fourth line, they are so strong and play well together. To have a fourth line you can trust is like a coaches dream.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Mattias Tedenby didn't play in Albany again last night. Lamoriello said a few days back he was out because of soreness but he doesn't have any reported injury and didn't have any problems in New Jersey so I'm starting to get skeptical.

This coupled with Zubrus injury possibly being longer than shorter plus having Tallinder sitting means...trade. No doubt.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Whatever kind of poll needs to be made to get Zajac to shake his offensive slump off, I thank you ahead of time :D

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ

Wasn't it revealed or speculated someplace that Tedenby's hip was sore or something?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
How many teams are able to undergo a complete team overhaul that includes locker room problems along with new coaches and systems implemented and still remain successful without any serious long term hitches?

Our lineup looked like this when the jelly hit the wall at the end of 09-10

Zach Parise - Travis Zajac - Dainius Zubrus
Ilya Kovalchuk - Patrik Elias - Jaime Langenbrunner
Brian Rolston - Dean McAmmond - Rod Pelley
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond - Rob Niedermayer - David Clarkson

Andy Greene - Paul Martin
Colin White - Mike Mottau
Bryce Salvador - Martin Skoula

Martin Brodeur
Yann Danis

and then looked like this when things worsened at the start of the 10-11 season

Zach Parise | Travis Zajac | Ilya Kovalchuk
Patrik Elias | Jason Arnott | Jamie Langenbrunner
Brian Rolston | Danius Zubrus | David Clarkson
Pierre LeBlond | Rod Pelley | Adam Mair

Henrik Tallinder | Andy Greene
Anton Volchenkov | Mark Fraser
Colin White | Alexander Urbom

Martin Brodeur
Johan Hedberg

Looking at those two lineups compared to today's lineup, which is just a 2 season span, there were several locker room problems, there are 12 different players from 09-10 and 10 from the beginning of 10-11 - we are on our second captain, have two different head coaches with different systems, and also several different sets of assistant coaches since those two lineups

Taking what we accomplished last season and are poised for this season, it is very damn impressive how much of an overhaul we've endured and I find it hard to believe that many other teams could undergo such an overhaul and not sustain long term consequences - just about all of this has to do with Lou Lamoriello

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yep. and it all started with ditching langs. i'll be forever grateful to lemaire for pushing that.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
yep. and it all started with ditching langs. i'll be forever grateful to lemaire for pushing that.

I would say its the combo of ditching Langenbrunner and bringing in Lemaire (even though it was clearly temporary). But as you said, they're probably greatly connected. Kicking out Langenbrunner sent a message that no one's "status" with the team made them safe. If they weren't getting the job done or wasn't helping the atmosphere of the room, they could be gone. And I think having a guy like Lemaire in there brought that message home and he commanded accountability. The other big thing I think with Lemaire is that he just helped everyone get re-focused in the short term. And the results convinced everyone to make it happen. If we had any other coach in place for the 2nd half of that season, I don't think Kovy would have embraced the two-way style of play as much as he did. Maybe he still would have eventually, but not that quick and likely not to the extent he has. I think he had too much respect for Lemaire not to bust his ass making it happen and the results spoke for themselves that season to stick with it.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
The makeup of this team is interesting:
Bernier & Carter: waivers
Gionta: thought to be a career AHL'er
Clarkson, Greene: never drafted
Marty & Hedberg: a 40 and 39 year old goalie tandem
Matteau: 18 yr old rookie
Salvador, Zubrus, Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Zidlicky, Barch: FA and trade aquisitions
Henrique & Larsson: 2 young studs
Elias, Zajac, Fayne, Josefson: homegrown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad