2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who do we give them for Weiss? They can't possibly have the balls to ask us for a first rounder, or Henrique or other such nonsense right? I mean it's Weiss, not Perry.

I would say Pete is tight enough with Lou that he's open to give suggestions or at least if he's asked. It was stated that Lou approached and asked Pete about Carter, and not the other way around.

I remember Lou asking Sutter what he thought we could use. Sutter said Rolston. :help:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Weiss being on a UFA year, he cant be that much

I don't see Florida pulling out of this slump this year. Too many injuries have killed them. Kovalev was also an abysmal signing. 3 points in the first game of the season, and just got his 5th point of the season in the last game. I wouldn't mind Florida pulling out, but I think they're hurting. Their defense sucks this year, Theodore is so so, no such thing as a backup goalie, and they're inconsistent offensively.

NHL Fanatik*

Goaltending Future

Just an idea, but what is everyone's thoughts on the chance that Lou would be trading near deadline (depending on how season goes), or fighting for new gains in the offseason, keeping in mind our aging goaltending situation...?

The goaltenders I had in mind for either of these would be:
- Jonathan Bernier (2013 RFA)
- Viktor Fasth (2013 UFA) (If he continues current succes)
** - Schneider/Luongo (2016 UFA)/(2022 UFA) **
- Braden Holtby (2013 RFA)

Jonathan Bernier, a pretty damn good young goaltender who is obviously backing up to Johnathan Quick, at least in the near future... Either trade for him at the dedline... if we tank... lmao. But really, if we don't have great success this season I think Bernier would be a good player to look towards with future in mind.

Viktor Fasth, unrestricted free agent at season end, could be another deadline trade if we should have future in mind... but most likely a great idea in the offseason, if Anaheim doesn't snatch him up before then.

Schneider/Luongo, I put it mainly to make discussion and get someone else's viewpoint... Neither have contracts ending before 2016, with Luongo having until 2022! I would look towards Schneider if Luongo has a stellar season and they lean towards him more; otherwise, I don't know about Luongo.

Braden Holtby, good young goaltender who doed quite well in Washington... Yeah. So, Washington with their troubles on defense (AND offense), and the goaltender still shows promise when asked to step up to the plate.

Finally, I'd rather go: 1. Bernier 2. Holtby, 3. Fasth, 4. Schneider, 5. Luongo (lol)

Thoughts/comments?

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
You cook it, you eat it, right? Shouldn`t have mentioned Schneider`s situation in the other thread.

Screw it, I`ll give you at least a short (but serious) response.

Lou was reportedly after Bernier last year and I wouldn`t mind him. Doubt Fasth re-signs anywhere but in Anaheim. They gave him a chance and I fully expect him to pay his dues.

Funny enough, I talked to both of those guys during the 2011 WCH.

P.S.: Schneider`s price would be steep.

Holtby is relatively unproven. Had one successful playoff run, but unlike Varlamov, hasn`t proved he can be a consistent NHL goaltender. At least not yet.

NHL Fanatik*

You cook it, you eat it, right? Shouldn`t have mentioned Schneider`s situation in the other thread.

Screw it, I`ll give you at least a short (but serious) response.

Lou was reportedly after Bernier last year and I wouldn`t mind him. Doubt Fasth re-signs anywhere but in Anaheim. They gave him a chance and I fully expect him to pay his dues.

Funny enough, I talked to both of those guys during the 2011 WCH.

P.S.: Schneider`s price would be steep.

Holtby is relatively unproven. Had one successful playoff run, but unlike Varlamov, hasn`t proved he can be a consistent NHL goaltender. At least not yet.

Holtby is more of a "wait and see" for the rest of this season, and if he proves himself and Washington passes (unlikely), then go for him. I would prefer and think the most likely one is Bernier, having had apparent want in the kid already, and showing his skills and situation.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tallinder and teddy for Ben Bishop

Eh just reminded me we might see the 300 foot tall clock tower in net tomorrow.

Let's forget about this year, and next. Marty, an Moose are signed until 2014. They have no trade clauses both of them in full. They are on 35+ contracts. Moose just moved his family up there to Jersey after leaving them in Atlanta for his first two seasons with the Devils.

I think Bernier is almost as unproven as Holtby. Maybe a little more proven since he's played quite a few more games. I'm not impressed by him really, but he could be pretty good.

I don't blame Holtby for Washington's problems. He hasn't been that good, but he hasn't been bad, and goaltending isn't their problem. Only stat watchers will blame him cause of his 850 save percentage or whatever. Just like the people who blamed Marty for 10/11 when they just watch stats. Same situation. Washington hasn't played fundamental defense this season just like us that half season.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Eh just reminded me we might see the 300 foot tall clock tower in net tomorrow.

Let's forget about this year, and next. Marty, an Moose are signed until 2014. They have no trade clauses both of them in full. They are on 35+ contracts. Moose just moved his family up there to Jersey after leaving them in Atlanta for his first two seasons with the Devils.

I think Bernier is almost as unproven as Holtby. Maybe a little more proven since he's played quite a few more games. I'm not impressed by him really, but he could be pretty good.

I don't blame Holtby for Washington's problems. He hasn't been that good, but he hasn't been bad, and goaltending isn't their problem. Only stat watchers will blame him cause of his 850 save percentage or whatever. Just like the people who blamed Marty for 10/11 when they just watch stats. Same situation. Washington hasn't played fundamental defense this season just like us that half season.

We will . Garroich confirmed it via twitter

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think we should more realistically talk about stop gaps then full time future goalies. Which we already have talked about just the other days. Backstrom would be good, but I see Minny holding onto him with Harding's uncertainty. Though they had another guy they called up that's doing well.

I wouldn't mind Nabokov, but more in a backup role. He'll be at least 39 by the time, but he could be a nice Moose if Moose retires.

I'd really like Pavelec, or Lehtonen but that won't happen. Lehtonen is signed for however many years in Dallas. Lehtonen puts up elite numbers on a mediocre/less than mediocre team. Pavs puts up slightly below average numbers on an abysmal team with no defense. Both are fun to watch.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We will . Garroich confirmed it via twitter

We struggle mightily against these giants, and struggled against him last year too just like Nilsson. We needed Moose to shut out Ottawa just to beat them that night. Kovy scored a PP goal, and the only goal of the game. His 400th I believe.

We did very well against Lindback though.

kiwidevil

Really want to get back on track with a real solid game. Need to get back to the rangers and home and home with pens level of our game.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bishop isn't very good, he's just gigantic.

Agreed. He's not very agile, and he's pretty much a big blimp that clogs up the entire net. Some of these goalies don't even have to move. The puck just hits them cause there are no holes.

Because we struggle with these big oafs dare I say I'd feel better with Anderson in net? We did well against Lindback though, but he gave up some bad rebounds and that one goal Patty scored on him LOL!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We struggle mightily against these giants, and struggled against him last year too just like Nilsson. We needed Moose to shut out Ottawa just to beat them that night. Kovy scored a PP goal, and the only goal of the game. His 400th I believe.

We did very well against Lindback though.

Was about to say, the mountain of pads problem might be one from last year because we did do well against Lindback. Have we played against any other clock towers this year besides Lindback?

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was about to say, the mountain of pads problem might be one from last year because we did do well against Lindback. Have we played against any other clock towers this year besides Lindback?

Nope unless you count Lundqvist!:laugh:

Lundqvist isn't a big mountain though. I remember Nilsson from last year, and Bishop. Bishop is a carbon copy of Nilsson. I still remember that game against the Senators last year with Bishop.

I remember Steve continuously saying ''Big save by Bishop!'' Steve the guy didn't even flinch!:shakehead

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually watched both of the Matt/Chico hangouts. They didn't do one for the Isles game, and I doubt they do tomorrow because it's an early game.

Chico is a lot more coherent in those videos than he is calling the games. As he also is more coherent in real life too.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Which is natural. People don`t realize how hard it is to call those games and sound reasonable at all times.

To be fair Chico is also an old guy of about 65. As he's gotten older, the gaffes have become more frequent! Happens with age. I'm glad his voice is easier on the ears than Rick Jeanneret.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I`m not playing his advocate. The age factor definitely plays a role in it too (see: Doc). But from what you can see and hear, most of the fans think it`s way easier than it really is. You need to be focused, on time, on topic, your language must be appropriate, your sentences cannot be repeated and you get disrupted in the middle of 50% of them during the course of the game. Plus you have to know your stuff and it`s more than just some facts you can find on Yahoo Sports. It takes a lot of preparation. People see the result and judge. Sometimes I wish they could at least think about what you said above and let it be.

/rant

EDIT: many announcers have been having issues with recognizing if the goaltender made the save or if the shooter rang it off the pipe/which team took a penalty. And not just the old guys. As we all know (I hope), they wear headphones and have a screen too, so how can they not see? Might as well ask someone who`s been in the business. It`s just weird and it happens a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad