2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I`m not playing his advocate. The age factor definitely plays a role in it too (see: Doc). But from what you can see and hear, most of the fans think it`s way easier than it really is. You need to be focused, on time, on topic, your language must be appropriate, your sentences cannot be repeated and you get disrupted in the middle of 50% of them during the course of the game. Plus you have to know your stuff and it`s more than just some facts you can find on Yahoo Sports. It takes a lot of preparation. People see the result and judge. Sometimes I wish they could at least think about what you said above and let it be.

/rant

EDIT: many announcers have been having issues with recognizing if the goaltender made the save or if the shooter rang it off the pipe/which team took a penalty. And not just the old guys. As we all know (I hope), they wear headphones and have a screen too, so how can they not see? Might as well ask someone who`s been in the business. It`s just weird and it happens a lot.

One thing I notice frequently is when they'll say the wrong team took a timeout. You can hear the PA announcer say ''Time out Bruins'' and then the announcers say ''Alright Pete Deboer is calling his time out now, and getting the Devils ready here'' Just using our guys for example. It happens with a lot of them I notice. Like you said with recognizing the save, or penalty.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
I`m not playing his advocate. The age factor definitely plays a role in it too (see: Doc). But from what you can see and hear, most of the fans think it`s way easier than it really is. You need to be focused, on time, on topic, your language must be appropriate, your sentences cannot be repeated and you get disrupted in the middle of 50% of them during the course of the game. Plus you have to know your stuff and it`s more than just some facts you can find on Yahoo Sports. It takes a lot of preparation. People see the result and judge. Sometimes I wish they could at least think about what you said above and let it be.

/rant

EDIT: many announcers have been having issues with recognizing if the goaltender made the save or if the shooter rang it off the pipe/which team took a penalty. And not just the old guys. As we all know (I hope), they wear headphones and have a screen too, so how can they not see? Might as well ask someone who`s been in the business. It`s just weird and it happens a lot.

One thing I notice frequently is when they'll say the wrong team took a timeout. You can hear the PA announcer say ''Time out Bruins'' and then the announcers say ''Alright Pete Deboer is calling his time out now, and getting the Devils ready here'' Just using our guys for example. It happens with a lot of them I notice. Like you said with recognizing the save, or penalty.

As a play-by-play announcer, you don't watch your screen if you have one for TV. Only on replays/breaks do you watch the screen. Often times, you're farther away than anyone else in the rink (Steve & Chico have it good by NHL standards), so if you don't hear the puck hit the pipe you can't always tell. Like sometimes you can't always tell if the goalie made a save or if it was deflected by a d-man, off a stick, whatever. A trick I notice Steve uses, you'll hear him say "it wouldn't go!" or something similar. It's a great way to avoid committing to saying what actually happened if you didn't spot it. Also, you don't hear the PA announcer unless you are specifically listening for him. You've got your own conversation, plus often a producer in your ear, and a set of headphones blocking any other sound. And as for penalties, until you start watching for it, you'd be amazed how lousy the referees are at indicating who penalties are going to be against. Delayed penalties are obvious by possession, but on quick calls, you'll hear the whistle go when the wrong team has the puck and that's often what you go by, especially as the play-by-play guy where you can't always see what happens away from the play because you're following the puck.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Only thing that drives me crazy about Chico is he is watching a slow motion replay while they are playing it we see the same thing, he says (all the time) "Yep it hit marty's arm" or "yep deflected off a stick" when we can clearly see thats not what happened then a another slow motion replay Chico will say "Oh look at that it didnt hit the stick just went right in" Guys eyes must be going. (I am also talking about the clear replays that are easy to see)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And if this one sells out the way it's expected to at this point, they're going to have more President's Day games. Funny it always seemed to me they had a game on President's Day and they haven't had a home one since 2008 (they played the Isles down there a couple years ago on President's Day).

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya I will be feeding the game on my computer. Hope those streams of mine don't load this pc at work up with viruses.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Our we playing today? Where's the GDT... and Josefson got sent back to Albanby?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So were did our 2013 5th round pick practice? Is he centering Barch and Butler? Are we going to see a Matteau-Lock-Butler 4th line?

Where the **** is that GDT !!!

;)

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Carter out with a possible concussion as per Chere. Might be a blessing in disguise as now we can tinker more with the bottom six. And hopefully a more scoring role for the likes of Bernier as some have pointed out.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Carter out with a possible concussion as per Chere. Might be a blessing in disguise as now we can tinker more with the bottom six. And hopefully a more scoring role for the likes of Bernier as some have pointed out.

A don't believe Chere ever. TG is saying he took a hit to the head, but isn't just throwing the C word around.

Also HELL NO. Hopefully it is nothing and he doesn't miss time, and if he does it is only a game. We are thin enough at forward,

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Carter looked good in the post game press conference. Not that this is a definite indication that he's alright. For what it's worth though he looked, and sounded good.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My gauge on injuries. Lou said Marty would be alright the day after he left the game injured in 2008 against Atlanta. Marty then missed 3 or 4 months.

It always comes back to me when hearing about a players injury status. They say the medical staff is bad. I just think they're secretive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It 'is' possible to take a hit in the head, be out but not have a concussion. The Paul Kariya one from Game 6 in 2003 comes to mind :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad