2013-14 WJC Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
1200.jpg

^already called dibs :) .

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I hope that Grigorenko can play with that same level of passion and compete in a Sabre's jersey.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wow Buffalo....get out of our division now.....Can't you just move to the West or something....:shakehead

Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Hurley, Baptiste...that 2013 draft alone will change the face of your team for 10 years to come.

Any chance your GM pulls a McPhee and trade Ristolainen for....Rich Peverley or something. :D

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Wow Buffalo....get out of our division now.....Can't you just move to the West or something....:shakehead

Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Hurley, Baptiste...that 2013 draft alone will change the face of your team for 10 years to come.

Any chance your GM pulls a McPhee and trade Ristolainen for....Rich Peverley or something. :D

Not if he wants to be the Buffalo GM very long.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com

Don't worry, Buffalo will screw up the development of half these guys. We don't do much right?

But on paper, you are right, they 2013 draft yielded a gold mine of talent.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Don't worry, Buffalo will screw up the development of half these guys. We don't do much right?

But on paper, you are right, they 2013 draft yielded a gold mine of talent.
Darcy/Lindy Sabres. Historically correct.
Patty/? Sabres.......probably not so much.
I hope....

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Grigs is the concern. I'm not sure that guy is coach able. His offensive talent is undeniable but he is unwilling to play all 200 feet and he floats way too often. The guy seems to play when he wants to and now we have to decide what to do. He has stated he doesn't want to go back to juniors. Loaning him to someone in Europe might be the only option, as Nolan is not going to play this kid.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

No chance.

(We don't have a GM yet. ;) )

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No chance.

(We don't have a GM yet. ;) )

No problem. I'll wait till you do and ask the question again. :D By the way, go with Jim Benning. I wanted him for the Habs and I'm pretty sure he'd be a great candidate and......it would pissed off the Bruins organization. Everything to piss them off is fine with me.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
Ristolainen impressed me the most in the WJC. His ability to drive for the goal and put the puck away was impressive. But the thing that killed me during the final game was how he shut down the swedish attack when he was on ice and in play. He is a gem. Please dont trade him to the Leafs :sarcasm:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Grigorenko scoring, Zadorov kicking butt at both ends, Ristolainen with the Golden Goal...discuss how they will all lift the Sabres into Cup contenders.

I'm half joking, but I hope this helps Grigs, Zadorov, and Risto to bring some swagger to Buffalo in a season or two. Only Grigs seems to need it, but I want them all to infect the rest of the roster with some confidence.

Zads and Ristolainen named the WJC 2 Allstar defenseman!!

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Time for a mid season prospect ranking again, my guess is that RR, NZ and ZG are 1-3.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Canada vs Russia BMG Highlights

Russians do it again

AR4_1221_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.JPG

First-period goals from Mikhail Grigorenko and Eduard Gimatov and a 30-save performance by Andrei Vasilevski led Russia to a 2-1 win over Canada for bronze.

Russia remains a perfect 6-0 in bronze-medal games at the U20 while, for the first time since Hockey Canada introduced the Program of Excellence in 1982, Canada goes home without a medal for the second straight year.

"I wanted to win gold and the whole team did," said goalie Zachary Fucale. "This is unacceptable for us. You have to be at your best every night, and we weren't, and it cost us the tournament."

It's also the second straight year that the teams faced each other for third place, Russia winning both. "We beat them again, so it's a good time right now," said Grigorenko. "It's a tough game to prepare for, but once it starts you just play hockey and want to win the game."

"We came here to win gold, so I don't know if we were 100 per cent ready for today's game," said Bogdan Yakimov. "It wasn't our best game of the tournament, that's for sure, but we tried our best. Everyone is exhausted right now."

Although Canada had the better of the play in the first period, it was the Russians who headed to the dressing room after 20 minutes up 2-0. The lead was achieved through a little bit of luck.

Russia opened the scoring at 3:35 with a power-play goal. Grigorenko fired a hard pass from the sideboards to the front of the goal, but the puck hit defenceman Matt Dumba’s skate and went in past a surprised Zachary Fucale.

"It was a little bit lucky," Grigorenko admitted, "but I was trying to make a pass to Buchnevich and there were a lot of guys in front."

Last edited:

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
When I say the jury is still out, I mean as to whether we should have drafted him over Risto. Risto is the guy I wanted at #8 (assuming Lindholm didn't fall, in which case it'd have been a toss-up), and Nichushkin is the one guy I really didn't want. I can see I was wrong enough to the point where I'd certainly entertain taking Nichushkin at #8 if we did a do-over, though I think I'd still take Risto. Nichushkin is obviously a good NHLer, but the jury is still out if he's going to be an elite top line winger or just a good top 6 winger, imo. Since I believe Risto is gonna be a top-pairing guy, I'd still take him for the time being. If Nichushkin is definitely going to be an elite winger, that makes things more interesting.

Fair enough!

He certainly is eligible if that's what your first question is asking. As to whether he'd crack the roster or not, I think he'd have to have a hell of a run when he returns to the Amerks. I don't think he has much chance.

That'd be cool to see him there. I figured it might be a stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad