2013-14 WJC Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Fantastic Finns strike gold!

ARX_7656_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.JPG

Rasmus Ristolainen scored at 9:42 of overtime to lift Finland to an unforgettable 3-2 win over host Sweden in the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship on Sunday.

Captain Teuvo Teräväinen put the puck around the boards to Ristolainen, who powered down the right side, beating Swedish defenceman Robert Hägg as he cut to the net and put a backhand deke underneath sprawling netminder Oscar Dansk.

In regulation time, Saku Mäenalanen had a goal and an assist for Finland and Esa Lindell had a single. Teräväinen, who won the scoring title with 15 points, totalled three assists.

Lucas Wallmark and Christian Djoos tallied a goal and an assist apiece for Sweden.

The Cinderella Finns were hoping for a storybook ending, and they got it in spades. It is Finland’s third World Junior gold medal of all time. The previous ones came in 1987 and 1998.

The gold is Finland’s first medal since 2006’s bronze in Vancouver. That was also the last year a team other than Canada, Russia, Sweden, or the United States medalled.

Last edited:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
What a superb individual effort from Risto. Earlier in the OT, he had the puck in the corner, Sweden gave him all the space in the world and I was screaming in my head at him to take it to the net. Glad he got another opportunity.

Risto and Zads best defensemen! I was one of the few people at the arena draft party who cheered for those picks.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Grigs is the concern. I'm not sure that guy is coach able. His offensive talent is undeniable but he is unwilling to play all 200 feet and he floats way too often. The guy seems to play when he wants to and now we have to decide what to do. He has stated he doesn't want to go back to juniors. Loaning him to someone in Europe might be the only option, as Nolan is not going to play this kid.

Could have had Teuvo.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
In the games that mattered the most, Risto was the best player in the tournament. Not only is he an elite talent, but it Looks like he has that "it" factor. We are very lucky.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I loved Risto beating his chest after the winner. If Darcy were still in Buffalo, Risto would more than likely still be in Western NY and beating his head against a wall.

Great for the kid's development.

Yep. Thank god that idiot was fired.

This is what these kids should be doing at these ages. Making a difference against their peers and also playing in situations they aren't know for. Like Grigs out for the final moments of the Bronze medal game to help close out the win for Russia. Thats something he would never get a chance to do in the AHL/NHL right now. Stuff like the WJC can help build a players confidence.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That'd be cool to see him there. I figured it might be a stretch.

I think he's done about as much as he can to make his case so far. He played well in the NHL and it's not really his fault he got sent down, but the fact he's in the AHL really hurts his chances. He's played really well in the AHL and then had a great tournament. He has a chance because I don't see Finland having a lot of depth on defense, but not playing in either the NHL or SM-Liiga makes him more of a longshot than he should be, imo.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Would have loved to have a chance at somehow drafting Lazar last year. I've always been really high on him and he would be perfect to have in the system with Girgensons and Larsson. I hope Ottawa wasn't the team that had a 1st on the table for Steve Ott.

ZeroPT*

Grigs is the concern. I'm not sure that guy is coach able. His offensive talent is undeniable but he is unwilling to play all 200 feet and he floats way too often. The guy seems to play when he wants to and now we have to decide what to do. He has stated he doesn't want to go back to juniors. Loaning him to someone in Europe might be the only option, as Nolan is not going to play this kid.

How can you speak with such certainty? The kid is 19.. 19!!! give him some time holy crap. He doesn't light up the league after 40 odd games in the NHL, when in reality he is nowhere near being NHL ready and now he's being called uncoachable and one dimensional? Buffalo sports fans :shakehead

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They loved him also. I think they new that 2nd 1st would be a gritty forward, they had a hard time passing on Teuvo at 12 but wanted more size.

Yeah, it seemed like their draft board when they were picking was Grigorenko-Teravainen-Girgensons. Didn't have Teuvo rated quite as high as Grigs (probably at least partly just because of the size difference), then after getting Grigs wanted a different type of player to complement the first pick. Too bad we couldn't have had picks 12, 13, and 14. :laugh:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Except pretty much every game in this tournament where I cant say I saw him float once.

But hey, keep taking your cues from people who aren't watching play.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

On another note, Saros was drafted with our pick, in the 4th round. Wtch him become the next big thing

ZeroPT*

Teuvo looks nicer right now, but I think Grigorenko's ceiling is way higher, he wasn't nearly as dominant as he could be in this tournament and he was very close to Teuvo

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
On another note, Saros was drafted with our pick, in the 4th round. Wtch him become the next big thing
There are so many goaltending prospects who could be the next big thing that it wouldn't even bother me. Such a crap shoot. It's why I laugh at the Montreal fans throwing Fucale into every proposal for a big return now. Sabres should throw in Ullmark with Moulson or Ott at the deadline to land top 5 players apparently. :laugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

True, but without that 4th we don't get the 1st that we trade up to get Girgensons with. So possibly a win/win scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad