OT: 2012-13 MLB Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So the team that has been getting smashed with luxury tax penalties and swears to get under the tax threshold is going to pay their 2nd baseman 25 million a year and commit to 10 more years while also getting absolutely burned by one of the more recent huge contracts that will be hurting them for years in terms of dollar per production.

Love Cano as a player, but you have to say no sometimes to throwing money at players.

then what is the answer at 2nd base?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Cano is EASILY a top 10 value player in the league. Look at his production compared to other second basemen. He blows everyone out of the water. He should be among the top paid in the league. His asking price will drop. I think he signs for around 10 years 220-250 mil. The Yankees desperately need him. Without Cano they have no one.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

That's the problem. He's gonna get too much money whoever he goes but it's going to be a disaster if they don't bring him back. I think it's gonna be a long couple years (maybe longer) either way.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

What's the answer at 3rd, SS, C, SP, closer and a few outfield spots? Just throwing the most money at issues isn't the Yankees way anymore.

This team did well with a rag tag group of FAs with all our injuries this year. I'd love to see them draft and develop well while bringing in good character blue collar guys.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
What's the answer at 3rd, SS, C, SP, closer and a few outfield spots? Just throwing the most money at issues isn't the Yankees way anymore.

This team did well with a rag tag group of FAs with all our injuries this year. I'd love to see them draft and develop well while bringing in good character blue collar guys.

Did they really do well, or was the rest of the league just not that competitive?

We're talking about a Yankees team here where the following occured:

- 1 guy hit over .275 (Cano)
- 1 guy had over 60 RBI (Cano)
- 2 guys had OBP better than .310 (Cano and Gardner)
- 1 guy hit over 20 HR (Cano)

For them to have done things that lowly and still have won mid 80s games is telling of the other teams that played them

We would not be "throwing" money at a guy like Cano, we're talking about the best 2Bmen the franchise has seen, the best baseball has seen in a while, and the guy who led in nearly every offensive category on an offensively starved team - every team likes to build around a guy regardless of how poorly their outlook may be (Marlins and Stanton, Cubs and Rizzo, Twins and Mauer) - you let a star like Cano go, who do you build around? Gardner?

"Throwing" money at somebody would be equivalent to what they did with guys like Burnett who were middle of the pack guys

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't think you look at the Yankees lack of big offensive numbers anf bash their opponents. ARod,Jeter and Tex missing most of the season did that.

Sure, sign Cano to 30 million a year or better yet, meet in the realistic middle and give him 25 a year anf watch as fans hate him before he gets half way through the contract.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think you look at the Yankees lack of big offensive numbers anf bash their opponents. ARod,Jeter and Tex missing most of the season did that.

Sure, sign Cano to 30 million a year or better yet, meet in the realistic middle and give him 25 a year anf watch as fans hate him before he gets half way through the contract.

so you wouldnt sign him for a 5 million dollar/year difference?

glad you arent the GM

he isnt going to get 30 million a year. mark my words.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks losing Tex wasn't that big of a deal offensively? Since coming to NY he's been completely incapable of hitting the ball the other way. Obviously he'll get his home runs when healthy but his OBP has been brutal the last few years. There are long stretches where he feels like an automatic out and it isn't just April anymore.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Officially have 4 more years of Girardi and his binder. I am not really that excited.

With the exception of his use of the bullpen (3 pitchers where 1 is necessary), he's been fine

We just won 85 games with a minor league lineup the majority of the year, the players respect him and love playing for him so no complaints otherwise from me

There are a handful of other managers I'd want aside from him and none of them would have been available (Gardenhire, Maddon, Leyland, Bochy)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm actually surprised Girardi came back to what on the surface looks like a rebuilding team the next couple years while he can still write his own ticket. Maybe he got assurances they'd spend after all this offseason? Or he just likes the cache of being the 'Yankee manager'.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I read that recently. I'd be fine with that. You hear they may spend $300 million this offseason? Madness lol

Yea, you knew they'd never get under that $189m cap

They saw what happened when you pick up off the scrap heap this year, injuries didn't help of course

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad