OT: 2012-13 MLB Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
The only reason it may backfire is he relies on his speed and legs.

Once they go he wont be the same player. For atleast 4-5 years its a great deal

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well if you aren't going to pay Cano that insane amount of money he was asking guess it had to go somewhere right?

ku-medium.jpg

Last edited:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I don't see Cano coming back.

lol if he goes to Seattle

Would rather he go to obscurity.

Cano's name has been so intertwined with the steroid debacle that he's better off going out to Seattle where he will be a God that no one will question. He's probably seeing what Alex is going through and wondering if it's worth it for him to risk signing long term in NY. This is, of course, if you believe the whole "where there is smoke, there is fire" approach.

If Robbie is clean then I believe he signs in NY. Largest population of Dominicans, he's worshipped here already, he'd be the undisputed franchise player, and he'd have a ticket to the Baseball Hall of Fame and Monument Park with a Mariano send-off printed immediately.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
If the Yanks somehow land Tanaka, it'd be a very very successful offseason.

Yankees need a starting pitcher badly. CC isn't getting any younger.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
If the Yanks somehow land Tanaka, it'd be a very very successful offseason.

Yankees need a starting pitcher badly. CC isn't getting any younger.

I'm meh on Tanaka. Honestly skeptical of a kid who throws damn near 200 innings at age 18. I understand the difference in conditioning and whatnot but it's not something I consider anywhere near a sure thing. He's got a 2-seamer that sits 90 mph and a 4 seamer that tops out at 94. Sounds a lot like Hughes really.

His splitter is supposed to be very good. I get that he's got a great windup and great command. I just don't think it's a sure thing at all.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I'm meh on Tanaka. Honestly skeptical of a kid who throws damn near 200 innings at age 18. I understand the difference in conditioning and whatnot but it's not something I consider anywhere near a sure thing. He's got a 2-seamer that sits 90 mph and a 4 seamer that tops out at 94. Sounds a lot like Hughes really.

His splitter is supposed to be very good. I get that he's got a great windup and great command. I just don't think it's a sure thing at all.

Any pitcher at this point is better than Hughes. He was simply awful. Still confused as to how he got that contract from Minnesota.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Any pitcher at this point is better than Hughes. He was simply awful. Still confused as to how he got that contract from Minnesota.

Such a barren market. Honestly hope we stand pat and go with the kids at this point. Just don't make any stupid decisions.

Dump Gardner for a starter. With Mason Williams, Slade Heathcott, Melky Mesa, Tyler Austin, and Zoilo Almonte there you don't need him.

Mason, Heathcott, and Austin especially. One has to hit, really.

One of the bigger mistakes the Yankees have made recently was trading Austin Jackson. Such a huge blow to the future of the team and I hope they realize that and trade Gardner this time. Trade him for a starter. For the love of God.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Not crazy that Ellsbury missed so many games recently and he's given a deal that takes him to age 37

Also not crazy that we give up the draft pick to the Sox

Also not crazy that they only wanted to give Cano a little bit more than they gave Ellsbury, an inferior player, because now Cano has every reason to want more

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Nunez is still there? Ryan was signed as well.

IF: Jeter, Nunez, Ryan, and Johnson.

They are going in with the mentality that Jeter will not be at SS as consistently so he and Ryan will both be seeing time at SS

Nunez stays in his same rover/off the bench role and Johnson replaces Nix

Whether it be Cano or somebody else, they are going to likely be bringing another IFer in because A-Rod will be suspended

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
They are going in with the mentality that Jeter will not be at SS as consistently so he and Ryan will both be seeing time at SS

Nunez stays in his same rover/off the bench role and Johnson replaces Nix

Whether it be Cano or somebody else, they are going to likely be bringing another IFer in because A-Rod will be suspended

Well they're looking at a 3B regardless. I think even if they sign Cano. Granted they could call up Murphy and call it a day. I don't see them getting a big name 3B. Jagielo could be up by the All-Star break too if he continues to hit, kid played 3 years at ND. It's not like he needs seasoning.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
Such a barren market. Honestly hope we stand pat and go with the kids at this point. Just don't make any stupid decisions.

Dump Gardner for a starter. With Mason Williams, Slade Heathcott, Melky Mesa, Tyler Austin, and Zoilo Almonte there you don't need him.

Mason, Heathcott, and Austin especially. One has to hit, really.

One of the bigger mistakes the Yankees have made recently was trading Austin Jackson. Such a huge blow to the future of the team and I hope they realize that and trade Gardner this time. Trade him for a starter. For the love of God.

There aren't any kids on the horizon for SP for this organization. It's so bad. Unless by kids you mean Pineda or Phelps.

Mason is either a very long way from a call to MLB, or is just not a good hitter.
Heathcott is a not ready. Came on late but then got a season ending injury. Headcase too.
Tyler Austin is the best of the three, the best bet, for 2015. Gamer.
Almonte is meh not a future everyday player IMO

We Need Gardner.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
There aren't any kids on the horizon for SP for this organization. It's so bad. Unless by kids you mean Pineda or Phelps.

Mason is either a very long way from a call to MLB, or is just not a good hitter.
Heathcott is a not ready. Came on late but then got a season ending injury. Headcase too.
Tyler Austin is the best of the three, the best bet, for 2015. Gamer.
Almonte is meh not a future everyday player IMO

We Need Gardner.

Mason Williams could take over for Gardner tomorrow and give you nearly identical production. The reason Mason isn't up right now is because the Yankees have high hopes for the development of his hit tool. This is a kid who right now scouts think he could play gold glove defense. He's a former pitcher with a cannon for an arm and the speed to cover every inch of the outfield.

Gardner is pretty much an enigma. A guy with no pop and hesitance on the basepaths. With Ellsbury here, the Yankees don't need him. He has a ton of value to a NL team and if the Yankees are smart they trade him.

Mason hit 300 in both Charleston and Tampa. He struggled in Trenton in a short stint last year but it's really not the end of the world. Sox are high on JBJ and Mason is probably a better player right now.

People like Austin because of the power potential. I like Mason because he can slot in right now for Gardner and no one will notice the difference. That allows you to move Gardner for a better piece.

I know Gardner has a cult following but the Yankees have made multiple mistakes trading others to create room for Gardner and have repeatedly made the wrong decision. Gardner over Jackson, Gardner over Melky (who nearly won a batting title, albeit aided by steroids), and Gardner over Mason would be the icing on the cake. Both can't be here. Get rid of Gardner now and advertise him as a CF and you can get yourself a damn good piece.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
He can field, but the guy was hitting below .200 in AA, looked absolutely lost at the plate all season and playoffs. He shouldn't even begin to think about the majors until he can hit, because from what I saw he's not even ready for AA baseball. The gap between high-A and AA is the hardest to overcome, Mason Williams just fell flat on his face.

Anybody would notice a difference if you replaced Gardner with Williams. Gardner hit 270 in the MLB, Williams couldn't even get over the 200 mark in AA, hovered around 100 in AA...that won't cut it in the majors. A very long way to go.

You couldn't touch JBJ with Mason Williams right now, in fact you can pretty much take anybody you want in the Red Sox organization right now, and match them up with the yanks organization and easily take the sox's system. They have like 5 guys that would rank number 1.

Tyler Austin, and hell depending on Heathcott's rehab are better than Williams right now. Tyler Austin is way better than Williams right now, it's not even really close.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
He can field, but the guy was hitting below .200 in AA, looked absolutely lost at the plate all season and playoffs. He shouldn't even begin to think about the majors until he can hit, because from what I saw he's not even ready for AA baseball. The gap between high-A and AA is the hardest to overcome, Mason Williams just fell flat on his face.

Anybody would notice a difference if you replaced Gardner with Williams. Gardner hit 270 in the MLB, Williams couldn't even get over the 200 mark in AA, hovered around 100 in AA...that won't cut it in the majors. A very long way to go.

You couldn't touch JBJ with Mason Williams right now, in fact you can pretty much take anybody you want in the Red Sox organization right now, and match them up with the yanks organization and easily take the sox's system. They have like 5 guys that would rank number 1.

Tyler Austin, and hell depending on Heathcott's rehab are better than Williams right now. Tyler Austin is way better than Williams right now, it's not even really close.

Mason's defense is absolutely ridiculous. His ceiling is absurd. I think you're underestimating him. Plenty of prospects struggle their first 100 abs in AA (he had like 70). He went to the Arizona Fall League and hit like .260. He looked a lot better. Let's not act like Gardner was the second-coming in the minors either.

Mason is universally our second best prospect according to any scouting resource you will find. Gary Sanchez being the default number 1. The Sox system is incredibly overrated. It always is. Remember when Lavarnway was the second coming? When Rizzo was going to be better than Teixeira? When Doubront was going to be better than Sabathia? When Bucholz was going to be the Ace of all aces?

How about Daniel Bard (lol) and Ryan Kalish (bigger lol) who are both out of work?

Xander is the only one in that system that you can say is unquestionably better than any Yankees prospect. And you can certainly argue that Sanchez, with a Dec 1992 birth date out of a premium position with AA experience, can reach that status with a strong year. Just like Xander elevated his stock with a strong year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What makes me laugh about the Yankees is they can't wait to overpay everyone else's FA's to a ridiculous degree but when it comes to their own FA's that's when they play hardball.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
If they pay Cano the Ellsbury deal is fine. If they don't, it's a bad deal.

Ellsbury isn't replacing Robinson Cano's offensive production so you better find 30 homeruns and 100 RBI from somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad