OT: 2012-13 MLB Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They really should pay Cano a bit 'more' than Ellsbury, he produced for them after all, Ellsbury has not. He's not brittle, Ellsbury is. It'd be insane if the Yankees lose Cano because they won't pay him $200 million after they'll likely give Ellsbury $170 million with the option at the end of his deal.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I'm still betting Cano will be back

Only way it happens is

1) Alex is gone for the year and the Yankees know this
2) $189 million is out the window

The secret third option is trading Teix or Sabathia to free up money, but I sincerely doubt the Yankees will ever be able to do that - ever.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
I understand that he is good with a glove, but this is high level baseball, if you can't hit you won't go anywhere.

I'm not saying he's a total bust. I said he needs to stay in the minors for a long time to fix what he has going on. He was so lost at the plate in AA, he was getting boo'd at a minor league stadium, that's how bad he was. If it weren't for the injuries to the organization as a whole he doesn't even play in AA. I can't see him staying at a number 2 prospect for next season after the year he had at AA. At the beginning of the year the Yankees brass said that Sanchez and Williams were not going to be called up to AA, but they had no choice due to the players that got hurt.

To his credit Gary Sanchez walked in the first day and looked like he could be really good. A lot of power, rocket of an arm, but a very bad receiver. I think he'd be better off being moved to a different position.

I'm not talking about past Red Sox prospects. The system they have now is tremendous.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I understand that he is good with a glove, but this is high level baseball, if you can't hit you won't go anywhere.

I'm not saying he's a total bust. I said he needs to stay in the minors for a long time to fix what he has going on. He was so lost at the plate in AA, he was getting boo'd at a minor league stadium, that's how bad he was. If it weren't for the injuries to the organization as a whole he doesn't even play in AA. I can't see him staying at a number 2 prospect for next season after the year he had at AA. At the beginning of the year the Yankees brass said that Sanchez and Williams were not going to be called up to AA, but they had no choice due to the players that got hurt.

To his credit Gary Sanchez walked in the first day and looked like he could be really good. A lot of power, rocket of an arm, but a very bad receiver. I think he'd be better off being moved to a different position.

I'm not talking about past Red Sox prospects. The system they have now is tremendous.

I disagree though. Barnes is pretty meh. Cecchini isn't #1 caliber either. The only one they have that would be unquestionably better than Sanchez is Xander.

Mason only had 70 at-bats in AA. Anyone who boo'd him is an absolute and total ******. I've been to Trenton a few times to watch the kids play over the years and it's such a great atmosphere. I've never seen a guy boo'd. For them to boo Mason is inexcusable really.

I'm not high on Gardner at all. He's a guy who needs to operate with a high BABIP (like most speedsters). If anyone ever just threw the guy consistent strikes he wouldn't be a major league player.

I guess we will see. But I say trade Gardner while his value is high and either run with Mason pending on Spring Training or get yourself a replacement level outfielder (or sign Choo).

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Josh Norris ‏@jnorris427 17m

Mike Ashmore ‏@mashmore98 12m

I put far more stock into what Mike says as opposed to what a nameless scout says. Given Mike would be far more familiar covering Trenton. Though Mike only saw the guy for what, 70 at-bats?

Mason isn't a main piece for a star right now. Which is my point. You can trade Gardner for a much better piece than you can trade Mason for right now, but Mason's ceiling is far higher than Gardner's and he can give you negligible production as well (since Gardner's WAR value primarily comes from his defense anyway).

If you wait until Mason explodes (like Xander did, no one was giving you a damn thing for Xander prior to last year) then everyone would want Mason.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
I just posted that because it was funny that we were debating the subject about an hour or so before.

Norris covered the team everyday before getting hired at Baseball America. He may have missed Mason in Trenton.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I just posted that because it was funny that we were debating the subject about an hour or so before.

Norris covered the team everyday before getting hired at Baseball America. He may have missed Mason in Trenton.

Who does Thunder Thoughts? Is that Mike or Josh? I think the comment came from Mike agreeing with the scout. I do like Mike/Josh (don't recall off hand) work on Thunder Thoughts. Always a fun read.

It is pretty funny actually to think about it. I really hope they don't entertain offers for Mason though.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Stick to rapping Jay. Good luck finding a team that's willing to offer as much as the Mariners were.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...n-cano-mariners-bid-sources-article-1.1539636

Robinson Cano isn't leaving the New York. I can see the Mets overpaying out of the blue but that's really the only other semi-plausible destination. The more I think about Robinson Cano the player and Jay-Z the agent the more I become convinced that he will come crawling back to the Yankees.

That's just awful negotiating by his rookie agents.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Robinson Cano isn't leaving the New York. I can see the Mets overpaying out of the blue but that's really the only other semi-plausible destination. The more I think about Robinson Cano the player and Jay-Z the agent the more I become convinced that he will come crawling back to the Yankees.

With what money will the Mets make an offer for Cano?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
With what money will the Mets make an offer for Cano?

Low morale with that fanbase, pretty much a joke of a franchise for the past 10 years. Stud pitcher hurt. You have dinner with Cano and everyone gets excited, GM says they don't have the money. Negotiating ploy? Maybe. Don't know.

But if they decide building a team with that young pitching, Cano and Wright is worthwhile I can see them just giving it a shot.

The money is there. They're a New York team.

I doubt it happens but it wouldn't surprise me if they did and it's more plausible than Cano deciding to pack up his family and move to Seattle. He's a NY guy with a NY agent.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Low morale with that fanbase, pretty much a joke of a franchise for the past 10 years. Stud pitcher hurt. You have dinner with Cano and everyone gets excited, GM says they don't have the money. Negotiating ploy? Maybe. Don't know.

But if they decide building a team with that young pitching, Cano and Wright is worthwhile I can see them just giving it a shot.

The money is there. They're a New York team.

I doubt it happens but it wouldn't surprise me if they did and it's more plausible than Cano deciding to pack up his family and move to Seattle. He's a NY guy with a NY agent.

The few, the proud, the suffereing...it takes guts to be a Mets fan!

Honestly, I really hope the Mets don't go after him. We don't do well with "star" players...

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

nailed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad