2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So as for this season, here’s a quick rundown of my thoughts:

Braidy Wassilyn is the early favourite to go #1 in this draft class, his combination of size, skating, skill and power isn’t something you see too often in a prospect his age. He has already stsrted the season off in glorious fashion with his 5 goal preformace yesterday. He is going to be a problem this year.

The top defender in the class is Zachary Nyman, he is the new generation of defender brought on because of a guy like Cale Makar - he can absolutely control the pace of the game from the blueline and will be an incrediblely dangerous defender in the offensive zone once he reaches the OHL.

Beckham Edwards is no longer playing in Ontario this season, he is now playing in Michigan for the Little Ceasers program. He is one of the top talents in the class, but don’t at all be surprised to see him go the USHL/NCAA route now, and to be drafted way later than a talent of his calibre drop in the draft because of it.

The Vaughan Kings are very much still the top team in the age group until proven otherwise, they have many QUALITY talents on their roster including the aforementioned Zachary Nyman along with Alexander Hage, Ben Bowen, Caleb Malhotra, Alessandro Di Iorio who all might have a claim of being first round talents by the end of the year. Stacked would be an understatement, and they have won championship after championship in this age group for GOOD reason.

One team who saw massive revision over the off season is the Barrie Jr. Colts - they already had a very solid group of kids with Troy Patton, Nathan Amidovsky, Blake Gorwan and Cole Emerton leading the charge, but they also added Logan Hawery, who will be coming back down to his age group after scoring just under 2PPG playing up an age group in a injury riddled season last year. They also got the two Ottawa kids that were playing in Pittsburgh last season in Alex McLean and Kent Greer, McLean broke Ryan Roobroeck’s scoring record by 8 points at the WSI during the summer, so that should let you know just how good McLean could be. On paper, this is one of the deepest, if not the deepest team in the region. So we’ll see how that team transpires.

In my opinion, there are no Exceptional Status players in the 2009 born crop of players as of now - that could change throughout the season but right now, I don’t think so. I believe the deadline to apply is in December.

Alright - I have given enough thoughts for now. I’m exited to see the season get underway. Here’s to a great scouting season everyone! :cheers:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
One team who saw massive revision over the off season is the Barrie Jr. Colts - they already had a very solid group of kids with Troy Patton, Nathan Amidovsky, Blake Gorwan and Cole Emerton leading the charge, but they also added Logan Hawery, who will be coming back down to his age group after scoring just under 2PPG playing up an age group in a injury riddled season last year. They also got the two Ottawa kids that were playing in Pittsburgh last season in Alex McLean and Kent Greer, McLean broke Ryan Roobroeck’s scoring record by 8 points at the WSI during the summer, so that should let you know just how good McLean could be. On paper, this is one of the deepest, if not the deepest team in the region. So we’ll see how that team transpires.
Yes, this team will certainly be interesting to watch to start the season and how they come together. As you mentioned, a massive overhaul from an already strong roster.

Dickie D

Mar 1, 2002
Ottawa/Brockville, ON
Visit site
Here's what I've been able to piece together with everything I've seen from the past couple years of this crop, plus comings/goings.
By no means is this professional or complete, but here it is anyway... I welcome any constructive notes or omissions etc I have, but please remember to be kind when doing so. I used to be a very active part of these communities on HFBoards, but internet trolls took the fun away from being an active participant...
so here's my 2 cents worth anyway...

It certainly looks like an interesting year... from what it's looking I'm guessing top teams look like:

Alliance
Elgin-MIddlesex Canucks -
Parker Vaughan, Austin Brekelmans, Lucas VanSteensel
Huron-Perth Lakers - Quinn Kipfer, Colton Radford, Kingston Powell, Michael Kustermans
London Jr Knights - Seth Coomber, Jackson Cunningham-Louks, Keyden Hoang, Raiden Doxtator, Carter Hicks, Dylan Durno

GTHL
Markham Majors -
Braidy Wassilyn, Ryder Cali, Ronan Clarke, Matthew Humphries, Landon Pickersgill
North York Rangers - Brady Smith, Max Grovestine, Brady Knowling, Luca Bonomo, Charlie Hotles, Ulysses Lombardi, Owen Barfoot, Tyler Challenger, Jaden Lobo, Camryn Warren (2009)
Toronto Marlboros - Weston Cameron, Adam Valentini, Jude Bray, Pierce Mbuyi, Ryan Chamberlain, Peter Koukouves, Nick Frasca
Toronto Jr Canadiens - Dimian Zhilkin, Cameron Ingram, Nasean Faria, Brayden Krawczyk, Adam Kelly, Jet Kwajah, Max Skinner, Lucas Ambrosio, Javian Nei, Jacob Xu
Vaughan Kings - Zach Nyman, Caleb Malhotra, Alex Hage, Ben Bowen, Alessandro Di Iorio, Gensen Geldart (2009), Cole Emerton, Jake Power, Michael D'Alessi

HEO
Upper Canada Cyclones -
Maximus Crete, Jack Yates, Conor Dervin, Jackson Howell
Ottawa Myers Automotive - Thomas Vandenberg, Xavier Tessier, Max Mews, Henry Doucet, Colton Spooner

ETA
Barrie Colts - Logan Hawery, Brock Chitaroni (2009), Nathan Amidovski, Alex McLean, Kent Greer, Troy Patton, Josh Denes, Blake Gowan, Ryker Young, Mateo Beites
Peterborough Petes - Collin Fitzgerald, Jacob McMahon, Caleb Mitchell, Kale Mace, Brayden Boyle, Ryland Cunningham, Nick Voisey, Owen Kelly, Morgan Hydeman
York Simcoe Express - Colin Ellsworth, Jackson Halloran, Bryson Morgan, Tucker Roberts, James Elliott, Liam Kerr, Owen Cartwright, Justin Anselmo, Ian Robinson, Finn Kearns

SCTA
Halton Hurricanes -
Sam Mirda, Cooper Otterman, Seth Vreugdenhil, Barron Mundy, Porter Fabbri, Tristan Venne, Aiden Atkinson, Cameron Hunchak
Niagara North Stars - Kieran Raynor, Danny Adamo, Dillon Atkinson, Reece Matier, Patrick Babin, Nick Gilby
Oakville Rangers - Ethan Belchetz, Callum Croskery, Jacob Ceranic, Ben Gelinas, David Greene, Christian Armstrong, Matthew Ross, Evan Headrick, Ryder Carey, Jonny Brooks

OHL CUP:
With all that talent I’d Imagine it should be a two-horse race with the Barrie Colts and Vaughan Kings battling it out talent wise for the 2024 OHL Cup. But established teams with familiarity from low roster turnover can never be overlooked and that’s where the Oakville Rangers, York Simcoe Express and Peterborough Petes could end up in the mix. The other 3 teams that could make some noise would be the Toronto Marlboros, Toronto Jr Canadiens and North York Rangers all which have star studded lineups, but will spend all season beating up on one another in the GTHL.

Exceptional Status?
In terms of the draft… I agree there seems to be no threat for Exceptional Status in the OHL this year… with maybe C/LW-Alexis Joseph (QC) Esther-Blondin Phenix (2009) and D-Landon Dupont (AB) Edge School (2009) looking like possible applicants in the QMJHL and WHL respectively if they have big years.

Top 15 to watch for 2024 OHL Priority Selection
C-Braidy Wassilyn (ON) Markham Majors
C/W-Alex McLean (ON) Barrie Colts
D-Zachary Nyman (ON) Vaughan Kings
C/W-Adam Valentini (ON) Toronto Marlboros
C/LW-Beckham Edwards (ON) Detroit Little Caesars
C-Logan Hawery (ON) Barrie Colts
C/LW-Ethan Belchetz (ON) Oakville Rangers
C-Brady Smith (ON) North York Rangers
D-Kent Greer (ON) Barrie Colts
W-Maximus Crete (ON) Upper Canada Cyclones
C/W-Caleb Malhotra (ON) Vaughan Kings
C/W-Alexander Hage (ON) Vaughan Kings
C-Adam Kelly (ON) Toronto Jr Canadiens
D-Callum Croskery (ON) Oakville Rangers
C-Quinn Kipfer (ON) Huron Perth Lakers

5 Canadians playing in USA to watch(OHL property)
W-Nick Rossetto (ON) Pittsburgh Penguins Elite
D-Luca Blonda (ON) Pittsburgh Penguins Elite
W-Maxim Dube (ON/QC) Long Island Gulls
D-Ryan Yurkiw (ON/MI) Detroit Little Caesars

5 Defencemen to watch for 2024 OHL Priority Selection
D-Jacob Xu (ON) Toronto Jr Canadiens
D-Carter Hicks (ON) London Jr Knights

5 Goaltenders to watch for 2024 OHL Priority Selection
G-Colin Ellsworth (ON) York Simcoe Express
G-Jacob Ceranic (ON) Oakville Rangers
G-Matthew Humphries (ON) Markham Majors
G-Max Grovestine (ON) North York Rangers
G-Brady Knowling (ON) North York Rangers

Top 2009’s playing up with the 2008 crop
C/W-Gensen Geldart (ON) Vaughan Kings
C/W-Brock Chitaroni (ON) Barrie Colts
C/W-Camryn Warren (ON) North York Rangers
G-Cruz Reznik (ON) Toronto Nationals
C/W-Gage Brandon (ON) Vaughan Kings

According to OHL Power Rankings the bottom four teams will be:
Sarnia Sting
Peterborough Petes
Niagara Ice Dogs
Kitchener Rangers

Rest of the standings according to the OHL Power Rankings:
5- Windsor Spitfires
6- Erie Otters
7- Soo Greyhounds
8- Oshawa Generals
9- Flint Firebirds
10- Kingston Frontenacs
11- Brantford Bulldogs
12- Barrie Colts
13- Mississauga Steelheads
14- Guelph Storm
15- North Bay Battalion
16- Sudbury Wolves
17- Owen Sound Attack
18-*London Knights (potential compensation pick)
19- Ottawa 67’s
20- Saginaw Spirit
21- London Knights
22-*Ottawa 67’s (compensation pick)

Compensatory Picks:
The London Knights and Ottawa 67’s will likely be recipients of compensatory picks in the 2024 OHL Priority Selection as the 67’s drafted RD-Henry Brzustewicz with the 22nd pick (last pick of the first round) and then declared him defected before trading him to the London Knights meaning Ottawa should receive an additional compensatory pick at the end of the 2024 OHL Priority Selection’s first round. If the London Knights declare 2023 first round pick William Moore (signed with USNTDP Under-17 hockey team) as defected they would then receive the 18th overall pick in the 2024 OHL Priority Selection in the first round. This is a big “IF” as there is scuttlebutt they could hold onto his rights and try to bring him and potential 2025 NHL 1st overall draft pick contender James Hagens to London for the 2024-25 season.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Here's what I've been able to piece together with everything I've seen from the past couple years of this crop, plus comings/goings.
By no means is this professional or complete, but here it is anyway... I welcome any constructive notes or omissions etc I have, but please remember to be kind when doing so. I used to be a very active part of these communities on HFBoards, but internet trolls took the fun away from being an active participant...

It certainly looks like an interesting year... from what it's looking I'm guessing top teams look like:

Alliance
Huron-Perth Lakers - Quinn Kipfer, Colton Radford, Kingston Powell, Michael Kustermans
London Jr Knights - Seth Coomber, Jackson Cunningham-Louks, Keyden Hoang, Raiden Doxtator, Carter Hicks, Dylan Durno

GTHL
Markham Majors -
Braidy Wassilyn, Ryder Cali, Ronan Clarke, Matthew Humphries, Landon Pickersgill
North York Rangers - Brady Smith, Max Grovestine, Brady Knowling, Luca Bonomo, Charlie Hotles, Ulysses Lombardi, Owen Barfoot, Tyler Challenger, Jaden Lobo, Camryn Warren (2009)
Toronto Marlboros - Weston Cameron, Adam Valentini, Jude Bray, Pierce Mbuyi, Ryan Chamberlain, Peter Koukouves, Nick Frasca
Toronto Jr Canadiens - Dimian Zhilkin, Cameron Ingram, Nasean Faria, Brayden Krawczyk, Adam Kelly, Jet Kwajah, Max Skinner, Lucas Ambrosio, Javian Nei, Jacob Xu
Vaughan Kings - Zach Nyman, Caleb Malhotra, Alex Hage, Ben Bowen, Alessandro Di Iorio, Gensen Geldart (2009), Cole Emerton, Jake Power, Michael D'Alessi

HEO
Upper Canada Cyclones -
Ottawa Myers Automotive - Thomas Vandenberg, Xavier Tessier, Max Mews, Henry Doucet, Colton Spooner

ETA
Barrie Colts - Logan Hawery, Brock Chitaroni (2009), Nathan Amidovski, Alex McLean, Kent Greer, Troy Patton, Josh Denes, Blake Gowan, Ryker Young, Mateo Beites
Peterborough Petes - Collin Fitzgerald, Jacob McMahon, Caleb Mitchell, Kale Mace, Brayden Boyle, Ryland Cunningham, Nick Voisey, Owen Kelly, Morgan Hydeman
York Simcoe Express - Colin Ellsworth, Jackson Halloran, Bryson Morgan, Tucker Roberts, James Elliott, Liam Kerr, Owen Cartwright, Justin Anselmo, Ian Robinson, Finn Kearns

SCTA
Halton Hurricanes -
Sam Mirda, Cooper Otterman, Seth Vreugdenhil, Barron Mundy, Porter Fabbri, Tristan Venne, Aiden Atkinson, Cameron Hunchak
Niagara North Stars - Kieran Raynor, Danny Adamo, Dillon Atkinson, Reece Matier, Patrick Babin, Nick Gilby
Oakville Rangers - Ethan Belchetz, Callum Croskery, Jacob Ceranic, Ben Gelinas, David Greene, Christian Armstrong, Matthew Ross, Evan Headrick, Ryder Carey, Jonny Brooks

OHL CUP:
With all that talent I’d Imagine it should be a two-horse race with the Barrie Colts and Vaughan Kings battling it out talent wise for the 2024 OHL Cup. But established teams with familiarity from low roster turnover can never be overlooked and that’s where the Oakville Rangers, York Simcoe Express and Peterborough Petes could end up in the mix. The other 3 teams that could make some noise would be the Toronto Marlboros, Toronto Jr Canadiens and North York Rangers all which have star studded lineups, but will spend all season beating up on one another in the GTHL.

Exceptional Status?
In terms of the draft… I agree there seems to be no threat for Exceptional Status in the OHL this year… with maybe C/LW-Alexis Joseph (QC) Esther-Blondin Phenix (2009) and D-Landon Dupont (AB) Edge School (2009) looking like possible applicants in the QMJHL and WHL respectively if they have big years.

Sarnia Sting
Peterborough Petes
Niagara Ice Dogs
Kitchener Rangers

5- Windsor Spitfires
6- Erie Otters
7- Soo Greyhounds
8- Oshawa Generals
9- Flint Firebirds
10- Kingston Frontenacs
11- Brantford Bulldogs
12- Barrie Colts
14- Guelph Storm
15- North Bay Battalion
16- Sudbury Wolves
17- Owen Sound Attack
19- Ottawa 67’s
20- Saginaw Spirit
21- London Knights

Compensatory Picks:
The London Knights and Ottawa 67’s will likely be recipients of compensatory picks in the 2024 OHL Priority Selection as the 67’s drafted RD-Henry Brzustewicz with the 22nd pick (last pick of the first round) and then declared him defected before trading him to the London Knights meaning Ottawa should receive an additional compensatory pick at the end of the 2024 OHL Priority Selection’s first round. If the London Knights declare 2023 first round pick William Moore (signed with USNTDP Under-17 hockey team) as defected they would then receive the 18th overall pick in the 2024 OHL Priority Selection in the first round. This is a big “IF” as there is scuttlebutt they could hold onto his rights and try to bring him and potential 2025 NHL 1st overall draft pick contender James Hagens to London for the 2024-25 season.
Another fantastic post. Thanks.

Reactions: zman77 and OHL4Life

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Alliance

GTHL
Markham Majors -

HEO
Upper Canada Cyclones -

ETA

SCTA
Halton Hurricanes -

OHL CUP:

Exceptional Status?

Sarnia Sting
Peterborough Petes
Niagara Ice Dogs
Kitchener Rangers

5- Windsor Spitfires
6- Erie Otters
7- Soo Greyhounds
8- Oshawa Generals
9- Flint Firebirds
10- Kingston Frontenacs
11- Brantford Bulldogs
12- Barrie Colts
14- Guelph Storm
15- North Bay Battalion
16- Sudbury Wolves
17- Owen Sound Attack
19- Ottawa 67’s
20- Saginaw Spirit
21- London Knights

Compensatory Picks:
i like to call out dads for pumping their kids, but i should be fair when someone posts like this.

awesome post, not sure your background or anything but love the passion, well see how accurate but great job so far for sure.

Dickie D

Mar 1, 2002
Ottawa/Brockville, ON
Visit site
me post, not sure your background or anything but love the passion, well see how accurate but great
Thanks... former sports reporter, former Jr A/B scout, father to 2 young daughters, I've got no skin in any game... lists will change as season goes on and players get better, hit slumps, fight through adversity etc... look at Ethan Czata last year he was on nobody's lists early in the season... look forward to seeing what this crop brings to the OHL.

Last edited:

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Thanks... former sports reporter, former Jr A/B scout, daughter to 2 young girls, I've got no skin in any game... lists will change as season goes on and players get better, hit slumps, fight through adversity etc... look at Ethan Czata last year he was on nobody's lists early in the season... look forward to seeing what this crop brings to the OHL.
Mother or father to two young girls?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Titans Tournament in full swing right now.

Wassilyn continues to dominate. 10 goals through 3 games.

Valentini with 16 points through 4.

Perhaps I underestimated the Northern U16 Sudbury Wolves. Though they've only played Clarington and Grey Bruce so far. Will have slightly bigger tests vs. Quinte and Guelph to close out RR play.

oilers5397

Apr 18, 2023
And perhaps now I should just shut my mouth lol

Got smacked by Quinte tonight 10-0.
I almost got fooled into thinking Barrie wasn’t going to mesh well together with all those egos and be disappointing this week. They just have so much talent it’s hard to predict with u16!

Reactions: zman77

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Top point producers from Titans Tournament.

1000001010.jpg
1000001011.jpg

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Does anyone have a list of players to watch for for this weekends tournament? I might try and catch a few games

bmoorescout

Sep 27, 2023
Does anyone have a list of players to watch for for this weekends tournament? I might try and catch a few games
Ethan dean and carter hicks on ljk, as well as Parker Vaughan on elgin he is the best player in alliance and it’s not even close

Reactions: Tryblot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad