2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
Are you trolling?
No, I've watched both player 10-15+ times this year.

They are similar players, both big goal scoring centreman that play with pace. Fitzgerald is the more complete 200 foot player, has better hockey IQ, better puck skills, supports the puck better, better compete, better at faceoffs.....

On top of that he's the better goal scorer - 52 goals in 43 games (Fitz) vs 49 goals in 70 games (Di Iorio)

Tell me why you think Di Iorio is better?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

They are similar players, both big goal scoring centreman that play with pace. Fitzgerald is the more complete 200 foot player, has better hockey IQ, better puck skills, supports the puck better, better compete, better at faceoffs.....

On top of that he's the better goal scorer - 52 goals in 43 games (Fitz) vs 49 goals in 70 games (Di Iorio)

I still think the Petes will take either Braidy Wassilyn or Adam Valentino depending on which one is still available after Windsor drafts first and second. From what I have read these three along with Ethan Belchetz are the top three players available in the draft. According to Elite Prospects Rankings Colin Fitzgerald is rated in the second of the 1st Round. The Petes are not going to pass on a potential franchise player to draft a local player who is rated much lower in the first round.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
I still think the Petes will take either Braidy Wassilyn or Adam Valentino depending on which one is still available after Windsor drafts first and second. From what I have read these three along with Ethan Belchetz are the top three players available in the draft. According to Elite Prospects Rankings Colin Fitzgerald is rated in the second of the 1st Round. The Petes are not going to pass on a potential franchise player to draft a local player who is rated much lower in the first round.
I don't disagree with you that those are the top 3 players, but it's still debatable.

And I would be very careful basing your expectations on random lists on elite prospects, OHL teams lists look vastly different than what you'll find online.

Fitzgerald is going in the top 10. I could see Di Iorio falling out of the top 10. They could both go in the top 10, but you thinking i'm trolling cause I have Fitz over Di Iorio is what's wrong with rankings you'll find on elite prospects.

*Just noticed it was flamebird thinking I was trolling and not Petes*

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't disagree with you that those are the top 3 players, but it's still debatable.

And I would be very careful basing your expectations on random lists on elite prospects, OHL teams lists look vastly different than what you'll find online.

Fitzgerald is going in the top 10. I could see Di Iorio falling out of the top 10. They could both go in the top 10, but you thinking i'm trolling cause I have Fitz over Di Iorio is what's wrong with rankings you'll find on elite prospects.
exactly

Reactions: Section5Petes

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007

I cannot say I've watched either player live that many times, so I can give credit on that.

When you say "Big", one player is 5.11, 165lbs, the other is 6.02, 180lbs. There's a size difference. Both can score goals, Fitzgerald might be better is this particular department, shot for shot. Finesse for finesse, I'll do with Di Iorio in the goal department.
Fitz is also much more physical, which translates a lot better at the next level, OHL, even to pro on a wider scale.

I will gracefully disagree with your other points, Di Iorio is a better skater with better acceleration and top speed while being able to do more with the puck in a skill and passing capacity. Di Iorio can also play in all situations, while knowing what to do in each at a higher level -- making him an overall better 200ft player & IQ. I dislike comparing scoring from league to league because of over strength of league -- I don't discredit the overall numbers, but there's "levels to this sxht".

Also, non taken on the response, I like to banter when it comes to hockey and players' abilities, nothing is ever personal

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
I cannot say I've watched either player live that many times, so I can give credit on that.

When you say "Big", one player is 5.11, 165lbs, the other is 6.02, 180lbs. There's a size difference. Both can score goals, Fitzgerald might be better is this particular department, shot for shot. Finesse for finesse, I'll do with Di Iorio in the goal department.
Fitz is also much more physical, which translates a lot better at the next level, OHL, even to pro on a wider scale.

I will gracefully disagree with your other points, Di Iorio is a better skater with better acceleration and top speed while being able to do more with the puck in a skill and passing capacity. Di Iorio can also play in all situations, while knowing what to do in each at a higher level -- making him an overall better 200ft player & IQ. I dislike comparing scoring from league to league because of over strength of league -- I don't discredit the overall numbers, but there's "levels to this sxht".

Also, non taken on the response, I like to banter when it comes to hockey and players' abilities, nothing is ever personal
Points is an unfair measuring stick when one plays in the top league in Canada on a team deep enough to roll lines and one is double shifted in a much weaker league. I like what I’ve seen from Fitzgerald and think he should be a top 10 pick but the only way he goes higher than Di Iorio is if teams are worried Di Iorio is going the NCAA route

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
Di Iorio is a better skater, better compete and probably the best 200 player in the draft. His compete espcially on baack checks is impressive. Fitzy might be a bit more dynamic offensively (di iorio is no slouch either) but ive watched him enough over the years to know where he has a tendency to cheat for offence aand his compete in the dzone isnt the greatest. Both great players aand deserving to go in the top 10.

Reactions: mapleleaf979

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

*Just noticed it was flamebird thinking I was trolling and not Petes*
I know what you mean for sure. Puckpreps said Tyler Hopkins and Ethan weir were the 4th and 5th most ohl ready I believe- Hopkins had a rough year(but did way better the last 15 games) and weir has been in the gojhl so i think it’s fair to say some people don’t have much of a clue. But it’s cool to see the different lists and where some people may fall.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
All good points on Di Iorio listed above except ''the only way he goes higher than Di Iorio is if teams are worried Di Iorio is going the NCAA route''.

This take is wild and proves this person knows nothing about how OHL teams evaluate talent and potential.

Reactions: flamebird

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Does the combine count against time players can attend OHL camps while keeping NCAA eligibility?

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
All good points on Di Iorio listed above except ''the only way he goes higher than Di Iorio is if teams are worried Di Iorio is going the NCAA route''.

This take is wild and proves this person knows nothing about how OHL teams evaluate talent and potential.
You seem personally attached here. What was the point of taking a shot at me when we’re all having a good discussion about two good players?

There are multiple small market teams in the top 10 that can’t afford to take a player and risk them not reporting. I don’t know Di Iorio’s intentions but most of that Kings team is on the fence about the OHL while I'm under the impression Fitzgerald is 100% committed to this league. I don't know about your conversations but I do know a number of scouts local to me and if those small market teams have Di Iorio and Fitzgerald close in their rankings they would take the sure thing rather than the flyer if they got hints in their interview they wouldn't report.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You seem personally attached here. What was the point of taking a shot at me when we’re all having a good discussion about two good players?

There are multiple small market teams in the top 10 that can’t afford to take a player and risk them not reporting. I don’t know Di Iorio’s intentions but most of that Kings team is on the fence about the OHL while I'm under the impression Fitzgerald is 100% committed to this league. I don't know about your conversations but I do know a number of scouts local to me and if those small market teams have Di Iorio and Fitzgerald close in their rankings they would take the sure thing rather than the flyer if they got hints in their interview they wouldn't report.
Quick question. Are they called "flyers" because they are set on going to the US or just want to be drafted to an OHL franchise of their choosing? Not every player is good enough to get picked up to a top college program from what has been reported on here previously.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021

I'm not personally attached, I just like to call people out who make assumptions that are innacurate.

Maybe Fitzgerald goes above Di Iorio because he projects to be the better hockey player?

I didn't mean to take a personal shot, I just think that's the wrong approach and it discredits players

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not every player is good enough to get picked up to a top college program from what has been reported on here previously.

I think this is something that needs to be highlighted going forward. The USA program continues to get stronger every year. Soon it will surpass the Canadian program. As that happens, less and less spots will be available down south for Canadian kids. Sure, the top players will likely always have a spot waiting for them. However, how strong will that opportunity be in the near future? I have a feeling these conversations about how many top players are going in a different direction will soon relax.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Malholtra was the best player on the ice in today’s OHL Cup Final.
Malholtra looks like the most dynamic forward on Vaughn alot of times, especially thru the playoffs etc. He has alot of upside, he is 140 lbs max right now, good frame though. An under rated part of his game is how difficult he is to contain along the wall. He has reach, hands and very good cutbacks it can force the D to put 2 men on him and things open up.

Di Lorio at times, I feel he should be more aggressive but at the same time, he isnt giving any chances to the other squad. If u watch some of his warm ups, his feet are phenominal. One of the best goal scorers in the draft, shot accuracy is on point. Unselfish player, smart.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Brady Smith on North York. Top 5?

Anyone got a mock draft yet? Would love to see people in the 5-10 range
Smith is an interesting player. Probably the most fluid most timer in the draft, also his 1 touch passes 60 feet bullet speed to the weakside on the breakout, is eye opening. But at the same time, its eye opening when u dont notice him given some of his high end talents.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I agree, if he does go Chicago which some think, he could go rounds 5-7 - as for it as a blanket statement on his skill, I disagree completely. He’s quietly one of the most effective players with the puck on his stick in the class, and he’s one of the highest scoring players for Vaughan as a result. He is great at creating time and space for himself and his teammates, drawing defenders in to open up ice in the offensive zone. He makes subtle plays in the offensive zone that make things easier for his teammates. He isn’t as good as his brother, but I see no reason why he can’t be a good top-6 option as a 17 year old.

As for Challenger, I have him at 29, there’s a decent group of guys from I’d say 20-33 on my list that i could have as “first round picks” from day, to day. The difference between my 20th ranked player (which is a first round pick) and my 33rd ranked player (which is a mid-second rounder) isn’t a lot.

Personally, as a Spitfires fan - I think Valentini is the best pick for Windsor.

Very skilled, great hands, but how much is Valentini opening things up for him etc. Myubi can read him and does things on his own thats smart, but Valentini vision is outstanding. The second most important player on the Marlboros is #17 Cameron. Wins all his draws, defensive C, competes hard.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Windsor picks at 22 and 24. Assuming they take a D at 22 which strong C is likely to be still available at 24?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Windsor picks at 22 and 24. Assuming they take a D at 22 which strong C is likely to be still available at 24?

I hope there is a strong centre available for Windsor at 24. Ottawa needs a couple strong centres and they pick at 21!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad