Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
ASP could be also Draper and Yzerman pick. Both were on that u18 tournament, where Augustine and ASP had great time. Some scouts had ASP top 10. Not many were high on Danielson, that should you say what a pick
I'm sure this one was a group decision. ASP and Moore were available, 2 players with upside potential. You figure Draper and Stevie cast the deciding votes.

I still have doubts about Cossa (and picking goalies in the first round in general), but other than that the trio have done well in the first round. Wish they would use the same process for the second round.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm sure this one was a group decision. ASP and Moore were available, 2 players with upside potential. You figure Draper and Stevie cast the deciding votes.

I still have doubts about Cossa (and picking goalies in the first round in general), but other than that the trio have done well in the first round. Wish they would use the same process for the second round.
I really don't like what they do in the second round, late round I think they do fine . Looks like they like someone and they afraid he is not going to be available at next round so take him too early

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I really don't like what they do in the second round, late round I think they do fine . Looks like they like someone and they afraid he is not going to be available at next round so take him too early
In the first round they always pick the player with the best combination of hockey IQ and skill. I don't understand why that philosophy doesn't extend to the second round. Second round is pick a guy that's hard to play against with little regards for hockey IQ or skill. It's really bizarre.

Ron Francis (Kraken) is a lot more consistent in his approach in every round.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
In the first round they always pick the player with the best combination of hockey IQ and skill. I don't understand why that philosophy doesn't extend to the second round. Second round is pick a guy that's hard to play against with little regards for hockey IQ or skill. It's really bizarre.

💯 agree with this. I was so pumped for the second round this year and, after three consecutive, baffling picks, I walked away scratching my head and disappointed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Carolina still hasn't won anything with this Francis approach.

And seen this Red Wings talk how physicality (with skill) will win at the playoffs.

1+1 = 2.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Johansson, Mastrosimone, Hanas, Niedebach, Wallinder, Buchelnikov all seem to be more on the "skill" side of things rather than "hard to play against"

Reactions: newfy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Gotta get there first...

Yeah.

You can get there with your high picks.

But we have also hit with our low picks. Söderblom (6th), Mazur (3rd), Lombardi (3rd), Wallinder (2nd) and Berggren (2nd) as examples. Those low-round guys are knocking the door, we haven't stopped totally drafting also skill on low rounds.

Continuous success could change the draft ideology. Like then, when you are up top as a contender, even the 1st rounders are so low that you have to start going after skill more heavy. You don't have get multiple guys to hit. Take more boom or bust tactic and get one guy here and there on those contender days.

I think we'll see more skill-based drafting, also at low-rounds, after Yzerman has build the kid nucleus in a certain way, without forgotting physicalty. They seem to talk about this a lot, it clearly sounds like it's their vision.

Also, who knows if this physical policy is a trade-policy. Developing physical defencemen got from low-rounds, and then sell them after few years of seasoning. Those are usually most overpaid players, and that way can turn some low picks to higher picks, if your defence is set already. You trade the kids you don't need.

There's so many factors in play, why Detroit could be drafting in a different way. It's just not Draper. It mostly is Yzerman great vision, and his guys under him, are just completing it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Carolina still hasn't won anything with this Francis approach.

And seen this Red Wings talk how physicality (with skill) will win at the playoffs.

1+1 = 2.
He's gotta different support staff now, plus he's got an analytics team which he didn't have in Carolina. GMs rarely get involved in later round picks. But for sure, other than Oleksiak, it's a small team with no real tough guys in the prospect poo either.

The thing is, those tough guys can always be picked up in free agency, Maroon and Reaves have been floating around the league, no need to draft them in the second round. 4th round or later, I don't mind so much. When you get lucky on a skill guy later in the draft you save tons of money with ELC/RFA, whereas if you find a tough guy in the draft the team saves maybe $2M because that's what they get paid. Maroon topped out at $2M and Reaves only had one contract above $2M. Even drafting someone like Copp would save more money.

I like having a couple tough guys around, but it's now a skill game with very little fighting anyways. It's better to have players like Ed that'll stand up for his teammates. I'd like to see Raz improve on his fighting skills now that he's more solid on his skates.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's gotta different support staff now, plus he's got an analytics team which he didn't have in Carolina. GMs rarely get involved in later round picks. But for sure, other than Oleksiak, it's a small team with no real tough guys in the prospect poo either.

The thing is, those tough guys can always be picked up in free agency, Maroon and Reaves have been floating around the league, no need to draft them in the second round. 4th round or later, I don't mind so much. When you get lucky on a skill guy later in the draft you save tons of money with ELC/RFA, whereas if you find a tough guy in the draft the team saves maybe $2M because that's what they get paid. Maroon topped out at $2M and Reaves only had one contract above $2M. Even drafting someone like Copp would save more money.

I like having a couple tough guys around, but it's now a skill game with very little fighting anyways. It's better to have players like Ed that'll stand up for his teammates. I'd like to see Raz improve on his fighting skills now that he's more solid on his skates.
Yeah just give Reaves 3 years at 36 years old lol, thats way better than drafting tough players when you think theyre BPA.

You save money on "skill" guys in later rounds, what happens when you draft a tough guy that can play hockey in later rounds? Still save money. Reaves, who is nothing special at hockey has been traded for a first round pick before and another time for a 3rd round pick. Hit on a Tom WIlson or Lucic in the draft and you can get a ransom. Look at Jeannots trade package while youre at it

Yzerman hasnt been drafting guy to just "fight" in any round. He drafts guys who are hard to play against as well as skilled to hopefully make them a painin the ass come plyoff time

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah just give Reaves 3 years at 36 years old lol, thats way better than drafting tough players when you think theyre BPA.

You save money on "skill" guys in later rounds, what happens when you draft a tough guy that can play hockey in later rounds? Still save money. Reaves, who is nothing special at hockey has been traded for a first round pick before and another time for a 3rd round pick. Hit on a Tom WIlson or Lucic in the draft and you can get a ransom. Look at Jeannots trade package while youre at it

Yzerman hasnt been drafting guy to just "fight" in any round. He drafts guys who are hard to play against as well as skilled to hopefully make them a painin the ass come plyoff time

Well, I'd rather give Reaves $1.35M x 3 than sign Copp, Chiarot, or Holl. Not to mention most of that contract could be buried if need be,

Wilson didn't hit 40 pts until his 7th season, He didn't provide much aside from physical presence until that season, and he actually didn't provide much contract value in terms of point production because he was already off of RFA and getting paid ($5M+).

Bad trades happen all the time, we might as well be trying to draft Kyle Quicey because he returned a first round pick as well. Or maybe more Nykes and Tats?

As for Lucic, there just isn't as much fighting in the league anymore, he had a career low 43 PIMs last season, I think his stats show how much fighting has dropped off in the league.

If you're talking size, skill, and physical presence like Seider and Ed, I'll take that every draft, but if you think Cleveland/Phelan are anywhere near that level I will laugh at you, lol.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Personally I see them taking a "safer" approach in the first round, and then they tend to swing for potential in the second.

I dunno, aside from Buch it seems like they're trying to bunt a homerun, lol. Taking a monster like the aforementioned Lucic or Wilson is swinging for the fence, I actually thought Wallinder was a solid pick, the rest of them would be middle 6 forward or second pair even if they had hit their full potential.

Of course, middle 6 or second pair, it's still better than overpaying in UFA.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
The way his shot has looked so effortless on all his goals this year have me feeling like that could be a real legit weapon

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I know its early and he'll undoubtedly slow down and there's more to the game than just scoring goals... but looking at his line so far compared to other Wings prospects who went through the SHL is pretty eye opening.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Been watching him so far this year and I absolutely love his confidence. Offensively especially and defensively it's growing too. Seems unafraid of shit. Looks like he's picking up the game really quick this year and that's an amazing sign for us.

He genuinely could have a massive ceiling here. The whole package is salivating!

Love the starts so far from our two 2023 1st rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad