Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I think you send him back overseas. Let him play top line with some PP time. This is not a player who should be rushed into developing.

Has the tools to be a special add to the big team in 1-3 years. Let him take whatever time is needed to perfect the areas of his game that are lacking.

Big rink = more room to skate. Have him monitored closely by one of our many Swedish scouts.

GR is looking crowded as it is, don’t need to add to the logjam…

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
no, some of them are complaining about kasper shooting low
LOL, I never complained about the RFA contract negotiations this summer, in fact I was setting up for the eventual management whining that's gonna happen when Kasper gets sent down.

I'd like to see MBN in GR, but if he gets sent to the SHL, it's not that big of a deal. We're all on the assumption that MBN and Danielson will eventually be linemates, so I'd like to see them get a head start on that.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think he’s a pretty smart, versatile player who you could plug in play in the SHL or AHL and he’d do alright. Off the ice, I wonder if he’d be best served having another year in Sweden before uprooting to NA.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
MBN goes back to Sweden for this season, AHL next season. Kasper and Mazur starts in Detroit in 2025-26 season and that opens up conveniently 2 spots for MBN and Finnie.

GR 2024-25
Snively - Kasper - Mazur
Dries - Danielson - Söderblom
Rychlovsky - Lombardi - Watson?/Shine
Gettinger - Seger - Shine/Johannes
Johannes/Bantle - Doucet - Hanas

Lagesson - Tuomisto
Wallinder - Rafferty
Buium - Didier
Viro - Dello

That's a deep roster already for this season and Savage & James might get signed after their college games end, to add even more depth. MBN's contract with Skellefteå was announced in May but contract was done probably couple months before that, so their coach and sports director has a role planned out for him. SHL is a best place for MBN for this season.

GR 2025-26
Snively?/X - Danielson - MBN
Dries - Lombardi - Finnie/Söderblom?
Rychlovsky - Savage? - Finnie/James?
James?/X - Becher?/X - X
Bantle - Doucet - Becher?/X

Wallinder - Tuomisto
Vet - ASP
Buium - Vet
X - X

Much more room in next season's team for MBN to play in big role. It's those Stevie's chessmoves, they all line up.... Before someone ask's "where's Buchhelnikov", well he is signed until 2026 and after that season Danielson starts in Detroit. That opens up conveniently (again) a top-6 spot.

GR 2026-27
Finnie - Lombardi - MBN
Vet - Vet - Buchelnikov
James - Savage - Vet/Plante?/Kiiskinen?
Bicker? - Becher?/X - X

Buium - ASP
Vet - AnJo
Cleveland - Vet
X - X

Reactions: 13to40 and heyfolks

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We have too many kids in GR already. If Kasper and Mazur gone then MBN should play in GR. They should have some veterans.
Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, Danielson, Finnie, Hanas, Ruchlovsky, Doucet and Becher I hope

Where do you put Becher?

To injury list. Probably somebody goes to Toledo.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I think he’s a pretty smart, versatile player who you could plug in play in the SHL or AHL and he’d do alright. Off the ice, I wonder if he’d be best served having another year in Sweden before uprooting to NA.
Of course it's better if he gets another year in Sweden. There are extremely few European players that benefit from playing NHL/AHL hockey right after the draft.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Of course it's better if he gets another year in Sweden. There are extremely few European players that benefit from playing NHL/AHL hockey right after the draft.

I tend to agree and considering Raymond, Edvinsson, Kasper, and ASP all played their D+1 in Sweden, I think the safe money is on another year in Sweden.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
øØaöä

And you normally don't see a kid they just drafted in the big club's training camp either. Why? Because they believe MBN is more mature than a typical 18 yr old, both when it comes to his game and his personality.

A year in Sweden could be a waste of time if he's close to NHL ready, then it's better to stay in the minors and get to know his future linemates.

So I'd say we'll see him play in the AHL, then he'll be available. But I think it also depends on where he wants to play.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I do wonder how NHL teams approach this topic, do they follow some game book? I'm guessing that it's highly dependent on the individual and it's always a judgement call where the prospect should play.

Would be fun though if they have a spreadsheet where a player is most likely to best develop certain skills. Like AHL for improving your bus riding ability. Rögle to improve that dog in you, and so on.

A lot of it is going to be on how they are as a person. Some players aren't ready to leave their country and go far away at 18-20 years old and some are. MBN sounds like he is ready for such a move. Euro teams also seem to be vet heavy moreso and where the player is going to get good ice time is also a factor.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

There is plenty of good things to learn in the AHL compared to SHL. More physical game, tighter quarters to work with, also more NA style of game where they can work on stuff. If he isn't getting prime minutes in Sweden I would much rather he be in GR if he is ready to come over as he seems to be.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
To me he just does all the little things right, great in corner battles, great away from the puck, responsible defensively and a cannon of a shot. I think he’s too young this year and 82 games would be too much for him, but wouldn’t be surprised if he was on the team next year. I haven’t felt he’s been out of place at all when watching. I’d be fine with him staying in the AHL and having a line of him Danielson and mazur like what they trotted out tonight.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
And you normally don't see a kid they just drafted in the big club's training camp either. Why? Because they believe MBN is more mature than a typical 18 yr old, both when it comes to his game and his personality.

A year in Sweden could be a waste of time if he's close to NHL ready, then it's better to stay in the minors and get to know his future linemates.

So I'd say we'll see him play in the AHL, then he'll be available. But I think it also depends on where he wants to play.
From what I know, he would be the first player going from Swedish tier 2 hockey to the NHL in his draft year. Where he also didn't have 0.5 PPG. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if anyone thought he's NHL ready.
There is plenty of good things to learn in the AHL compared to SHL. More physical game, tighter quarters to work with, also more NA style of game where they can work on stuff. If he isn't getting prime minutes in Sweden I would much rather he be in GR if he is ready to come over as he seems to be.
There are countless of examples of players that has gone from the SHL to the NHL without having to stopover in the AHL. Especially forwards. Especially if they've taken 1-2 years extra in the SHL. I mean, Elias Pettersson and Peter Forsberg are just two prime examples of that. I'm also of the belief that it's better for a young player to be coached and developed in a language he can fully understand in a pro environment to be better prepared for the NHL.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I'm very curious to see what you all do with Nygaard. I would think it comes down to a couple of things, IMO. One, would he ever be a call-up this year for an injury. And two, will he physically develop better in SHL or AHL. My money is on the latter, simply because he's in a position, right now, to still be a top 6 forward in the AHL and he'll get more PP time down there as well. SHL is still very limiting on younger players and I think especially since the SHL has been in progress for a little bit now, I think they would be hesitant to give him the kind of playing time and opportunities that he would easily get in the AHL for you guys.

Hazy Little Thing

Jan 19, 2022
From what I know, he would be the first player going from Swedish tier 2 hockey to the NHL in his draft year. Where he also didn't have 0.5 PPG. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if anyone thought he's NHL ready.

There are countless of examples of players that has gone from the SHL to the NHL without having to stopover in the AHL. Especially forwards. Especially if they've taken 1-2 years extra in the SHL. I mean, Elias Pettersson and Peter Forsberg are just two prime examples of that. I'm also of the belief that it's better for a young player to be coached and developed in a language he can fully understand in a pro environment to be better prepared for the NHL.
Most Swedes I’ve met speak English better than North Americans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad