Blue Jays GDT: ('14 v4) Next Game: @Pit| Fri, May 2 |7pm ET/4pm PT| B.Morrow vs G.Cole

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If we didn't make the playoffs last season, what in your mind makes you think we're making the playoffs this season? We didn't do anything!

So being 8 games under .500 last season and being a game over .500 makes us a contender right now as we blow another game makes us a conteder. Great thinking from an apologist.

You didn't even read most of my post. Or didn't understand it. Last year was basically the worst case scenario. Aside from the pen, and like 3 or 4 batters/fielders, every single thing that could've gone wrong went wrong. Every starter struggled for at least part of the year, most of the hitters struggled, the defence sucked, you name it and it went wrong.

This hasn't been a perfect season so far, obviously, but Buehrle's been good so far. Hutchison has been good for the most part. Dickey and Morrow have run hot and cold. Even the sucky performacnes out of the starters haven't been as bad/damaging as Johnson was. The defence has been very good, Melky and Navarro have actually put a pair of good contact bats into a lineup that didn't make much non-HR contact last year. There have been improvements, ergo this team is already better than last year even if 90% of the roster didn't change.

I also never said this was a playoff team. I just said it was better. My objection was solely to the fact that people take this ridiculous attitude that no big moves in the off-season = same team as last year = same results as last year. It's never that simple.

I'm also sick of this "apologist" BS that gets tossed around. I might take a more positive view than a lot of people, but that's not being an "apologist", I just try to be a little more rational than "OMG THIS TEAM SUCKS ITS NOTHING BUT LOSERS EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE!" that seems to often be expected go-to attitude.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Boston= been there done that. Wtf do we have? We have a year of a raised payroll and people hollering and hooting about playoffs when 7-8 months into this experiment and we haven't even been close!! NOT EVEN CLOSE. What in your mind right now convinces you otherwise? What makes you think we're making it? Honestly. We're blowing another game late that we should've won. It's pathetic.

Last year lots of players were injured had horrid years. I think AA should have got another pitcher and 2nd baseman. Jays have done pretty well considering that Dickey and Morrow have pitched poorly.

I'll bet you anything we are 3 games from .500 +/-. I'll bet you right now

I said at the start of the year Jays will finish 4th or 5th in the AL East. I am not going to squeal like a pig under a gate every time they lose.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You didn't even read most of my post. Or didn't understand it. Last year was basically the worst case scenario. Aside from the pen, and like 3 or 4 batters/fielders, every single thing that could've gone wrong went wrong. Every starter struggled for at least part of the year, most of the hitters struggled, the defence sucked, you name it and it went wrong.

This hasn't been a perfect season so far, obviously, but Buehrle's been good so far. Hutchison has been good for the most part. Dickey and Morrow have run hot and cold. Even the sucky performacnes out of the starters haven't been as bad/damaging as Johnson was. The defence has been very good, Melky and Navarro have actually put a pair of good contact bats into a lineup that didn't make much non-HR contact last year. There have been improvements, ergo this team is already better than last year even if 90% of the roster didn't change.

I also never said this was a playoff team. I just said it was better. My objection was solely to the fact that people take this ridiculous attitude that no big moves in the off-season = same team as last year = same results as last year. It's never that simple.

I'm also sick of this "apologist" BS that gets tossed around. I might take a more positive view than a lot of people, but that's not being an "apologist", I just try to be a little more rational than "OMG THIS TEAM SUCKS ITS NOTHING BUT LOSERS EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE!" that seems to often be expected go-to attitude.

This team does suck. Being .500 isn't some amazing accomplishment. Being .500 is the worst case scenario. Middle of the pack. You're not too good and you're not too bad. You're playing to pure mediocrity.

The Jays get the most apologies and excuses than any team in this city.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Boston= been there done that. Wtf do we have? We have a year of a raised payroll and people hollering and hooting about playoffs when 7-8 months into this experiment and we haven't even been close!! NOT EVEN CLOSE. What in your mind right now convinces you otherwise? What makes you think we're making it? Honestly. We're blowing another game late that we should've won. It's pathetic.

I'll bet you anything we are 3 games from .500 +/-. I'll bet you right now

The only holdover from those two teams is David Ortiz. Organizationally almost everything else was different. Different FO staff, different coaching staff, different roster. Different everything. How can they have "been there, done that" when 99% of the parts involved in one year weren't involved in the other.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Last year lots of players were injured had horrid years. I think AA should have got another pitcher and 2nd baseman. Jays have done pretty well considering that Dickey and Morrow have pitched poorly.

I said at the start of the year Jays will finish 4th or 5th in the AL East. I am not going to squeal like a pig under a gate every time they lose.

Can we get over the whole injury excuse. I hear it a ton. We finished where we were because we weren't good enough. Can we have some of you apologists on the Leaf threads wow amazing stuff.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This team does suck. Being .500 isn't some amazing accomplishment. Being .500 is the worst case scenario. Middle of the pack. You're not too good and you're not too bad. You're playing to pure mediocrity.

The Jays get the most apologies and excuses than any team in this city.

I didn't say they were good. I said they were better. You're operating on this assumption that because last year was brutal, we shouldn't expect anything better out of this year because it's the same roster for the most part. I was just pointing out that was wrong because the team has made some improvements in terms of play. I never said it made them playoff bound or particularly good, just better. Which invalidates the original claim that you made. That's all. And really, they're not that far off being able to be better than this. Dickey straightens stuff out like he did last year, the bullpen gets back on track, and Edwin gets out of this cold slump and suddenly the team is in a much better position than they are now. Which is a good thing when you look at how much the rest of the AL East has sucked this year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

This. Exactly This.

If you think the team is going to suck, or be around .500 then you're expecting losses like this.

Why come on here and post "oh my god, losers sucking everywhere, garbage, terrible awful team, over and over, team suck, horrible, blah, blah, blah"

It's not going to be met with a positive response from other posters, and it's not like you were expecting good results and then are frustrated in dissapointment.

If you're expecting bad things and bad things come you'd think some people would be a little more prepared and not post trivial ******** that nobody wants to read for the millionth time.

If you think they will suck and you still want to watch then watch, and be satisfied. You expected it and you're still content to watch it.

Otherwise stop watching/stop posting crap that literally nobody wants to read here.

There's a difference between Woodman saying something like "man these losses are going to kill us, we need to close these games against bad teams when we're ahead", and someone else posting something like "********, losses, over and over, same crap as last year, garbage ********"

If you want to be critical, please try to spin it in a positive way that people won't actually roll their eyes at because they're reading the same crap for the 100th time this week

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This. Exactly This.

If you think the team is going to suck, or be around .500 then you're expecting losses like this.

Why come on here and post "oh my god, losers sucking everywhere, garbage, terrible awful team, over and over, team suck, horrible, blah, blah, blah"

It's not going to be met with a positive response from other posters, and it's not like you were expecting good results and then are frustrated in dissapointment.

If you're expecting bad things and bad things come you'd think some people would be a little more prepared and not post trivial ******** that nobody wants to read for the millionth time.

If you think they will suck and you still want to watch then watch, and be satisfied. You expected it and you're still content to watch it.

Otherwise stop watching/stop posting crap that literally nobody wants to read here.

There's a difference between Woodman saying something like "man these losses are going to kill us, we need to close these games against bad teams when we're ahead", and someone else posting something like "********, losses, over and over, same crap as last year, garbage ********"

If you want to be critical, please try to spin it in a positive way that people won't actually roll their eyes at because they're reading the same crap for the 100th time this week

How is this the 100th time this week... when they'll be over .500 on this trip. One game over which isn't much but hey I guess being dramatic makes your point look better.

It's one thing to be honest like I'm being and ignoring the facts and being homers.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You yourself are proving this point to be incorrect.

No I just get annoyed when I keep hearing the injury excuse from last year and the apologists for Dickey and Morrow and Goins and on and on and on...it's a ****ing recording. There's a difference between being honest with what you're seeing and making excuses. Well I'm being honest.

I'll give it to you all.. .500.. I'll say it again. .500. I'm pissed off with this game. ****!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No I just get annoyed when I keep hearing the injury excuse from last year and the apologists for Dickey and Morrow and Goins and on and on and on...it's a ****ing recording. There's a difference between being honest with what you're seeing and making excuses. Well I'm being honest.

I'll give it to you all.. .500.. I'll say it again. .500. I'm pissed off with this game. ****!

what point are you trying to make?

Ok we get it, you think they will be .500. Telling us this a million times isn't doing anything productive, we already know.

You're either going to be fine with that fact, and keep watching, or you're going to give up on the Jays and stop.

Telling us how terrible you think they are is literally solving nothing, so what's the point?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Injuries play a factor in sports. No one is defending Goins, he just sucks.

Dickey and Morrow have potential to do well and have had success in the past.

Coming into the season if every thing went well the jays should be contending for a playoff spot. In sports every thing rarely if ever goes well. That is the reason I wanted the Jays to pickup a starter and a 2nd baseman. Because they didn't I predicted them to finish 4th or 5th in the East.

It seems after every loss you whine about how much they suck. It is extremely annoying.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I'll give it to you all.. .500.. I'll say it again. .500.

no you're not, you're being dramatic. Being honest means evaluating everything and admitting that yes, injuries were part of the problem. As was crap play, as was some of the pieces not fitting. The failure of 2013 was a whole bunch of factors coming together at the same time. Ignoring some of the factors, like the injuries, is foolish. The only argument being made that's being selective or ignoring factors is the one that says the only thing that matters is that the team sucked. Because the team sucking might've been a big factor, but so were the injuries.

You instead just choose to call everyone who takes in the bigger picture "apologies" and attack any view of the results beyond your own as "making excuses"

You also keep arguing to points that were never made. Find me a post here in this conversation that said with any degree of certainty that the Blue Jays would be a playoff team this year or what they expected the record to be. Aside from your own, I mean. Because I don't see any. But you keep responding to posts as if that's what's being said, and with comments like that snarky, dramatic "500, I'll say it again 500" line. The kinds of things that you're complaining about can just as easily be attributed to your own posts as they could be to anyone else's. Which also invalidates that whole argument.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'll add that despite the average 10-9 start if the Rays beat the Yankees today we'll be tied for 1st int he East. Everyone is off to a fairly mediocre start.

And we've certainly not been playing our best to get there. We've got a lot more to give

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You know what? this argument isn't going to go anywhere. The "apologists" will keep saying one thing and the "debbie downers" will keep saying another and it will just keep going in circles.

In fairness to everyone and so that I don't get accused of trying to have the last word, there's now 15 minutes until the thread closes. Say your piece and be done with it. This conversation will not be carried back to the discussion thread.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
You know what? this argument isn't going to go anywhere. The "apologists" will keep saying one thing and the "debbie downers" will keep saying another and it will just keep going in circles.

In fairness to everyone and so that I don't get accused of trying to have the last word, there's now 15 minutes until the thread closes. Say your piece and be done with it. This conversation will not be carried back to the discussion thread.

I don't think there is any point having the same discussion every time after the Jays lose.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Jays fans are becoming like Leaf fans...despicable failures for decades, but they accept losing and make excuses like no other fan base. The bar has been set so low.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jays fans are becoming like Leaf fans...despicable failures for decades, but they accept losing and make excuses like no other fan base. The bar has been set so low.

Considering that a large portion of the fanbase here, including several of the ones who are getting called "apologists" and apparently doing what you describe aren't Leaf fans, that link seems tenuous at best.

Also, that's 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad